English cricket thread

AshRK

I hope the cricket purists don't come to a stupid conclusion that Ireland is not ready for tests. In fact they must be given chance to play more tests after such a strong display for most of the match.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Jack Leach has to be man of the match, considering the scores overall.

AshRK

Also, I still think England will win the Ashes, not because they are super great or anything, but because they are playing in their own backyard.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I hope the cricket purists don't come to a stupid conclusion that Ireland is not ready for tests. In fact they must be given chance to play more tests after such a strong display for most of the match.
Doubt many teams will be lining up to play them. England should do what India did for Sri Lanka and really help them out (not by taking their best players).

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah Ireland played very well and apart from when Roy and Leach were batting together they totally bossed the game up until play resumed after the rain break today.

They definitely deserve to play more tests.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Bit like the Indian odi team. Some openings that never seem to get filled.

Sibley, Burns, Root, Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes, Ali, Woakes, Archer/Broad, Anderson

Maybe something like that? Never seen Sibley bat and going off Nasser's opinion on Roy at 4.

Australia have a real chance to win this one.
The only proven 3 we have is Root who wants to play at 4 :lol:. Some like Nas have Roy at 4 but some want to continue trying him at the top, Nas is also leaving Archer out (though I think he's open to him coming in in later matches) so there's moving parts all over the place.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How can you be 38 all out :wenger:

Didn't think shit like that happened outside of school cricket.

When I was a boy, and played in my school under 12 team, we did well to bowl out opposition for 78. Batting second, we were 6 all out! Head teacher didn't read out the result like they normally did at morning assembly the next morning :lol:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The lowest test score in 64 years. Fourth lowest in the last 100 years. Seventh worst score of all time.

In terms of overs 15.4 is the second quickest innings (joint) of all time after South Africa were bowled out for 30 in 12.3 overs at (I guess) Edgebaston in 1924.

England were also bowled out for 60 in 15.4 overs at the MCG in 1902.

This concludes my nerd exploration.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

How can you be 38 all out :wenger:

Didn't think shit like that happened outside of school cricket.

When I was a boy, and played in my school under 12 team, we did well to bowl out opposition for 78. Batting second, we were 6 all out! Head teacher didn't read out the result like they normally did at morning assembly the next morning :lol:
Its not really that old fashioned. England were bowled out for 50 in 2009 and India were done for 76 in 2008. More recently, Australia were bowled out for 47 by South Africa, England done in 70s twice in last 8 months.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The only proven 3 we have is Root who wants to play at 4 :lol:. Some like Nas have Roy at 4 but some want to continue trying him at the top, Nas is also leaving Archer out (though I think he's open to him coming in in later matches) so there's moving parts all over the place.
Roy will get found out by Aussies. Doubt he will last til 4th test.

diarm

You've seen it already in this thread.

Just pure inexperience and rabbits in the headlights stuff from us this morning.

When we needed to be a little more aggressive and try and sow the odd seed of doubt in the minds of Englands attack, we were passive and neither here nor there between attack and defence to be honest.

The more we experience these kinds of situations, the better we will get at handling them. I saw the following stats posted by a Kiwi on another board this morning:

We took:

20 years to win our first test.
30 years to win our first away test.
45 years to win our first test v England.
50 years to win our first test in England.
66 years to win our first test at Lords.

AshRK

Doubt many teams will be lining up to play them. England should do what India did for Sri Lanka and really help them out (not by taking their best players).
This is where ICC needs to step in then. Instead of letting BCCI, ECB and Austalian Board bully you, maybe take some logical decision. The game is ready to grow now and not become limited. For Instance I was looking at FTP and see India going to US to play Windies, why not have either of WIndies or India play US cricket team or Canada in a one off T 20. Spread the game. Give them exposure. Rather than another meaningless 5 match ODI series with SL or WI , why not make it a triangular tournament and have Afganistan or Ireland in there so that they can also play with the big boys.

FlawlessThaw

Really? I didn't know that, what did they do? England have let Irish players come through the County system which next year onwards will become quite difficult.

Di Maria's angel

This is where ICC needs to step in then. Instead of letting BCCI, ECB and Austalian Board bully you, maybe take some logical decision. The game is ready to grow now and not become limited. Like I was looking at FTP and see India going to US to play Windies, why not have either of WIndies or India play US cricket team or Canada in a one off T 20. Spread the game. Give them exposure. Rather than another meaningless 5 match ODI series with SL or WI , why not make it a triangular tournament and have Afganistan or Ireland in there so that they can also play with the big boys.
Unfortunately, its not really worth the time and effort. Plus, do Ireland even care? Does the US or Canada even have a small level of interest in the sport? They had a legends game a few years back in the US - great turn out but all Indians.

Boycott

Niall O'Brien is trying to lobby touring teams to England to play Ireland in a 4 day warm up. Makes better sense than playing county sides who often put out their U23s. Pakistan played Ireland prior to playing England and that was good competition.

AshRK

You've seen it already in this thread.

Just pure inexperience and rabbits in the headlights stuff from us this morning.

When we needed to be a little more aggressive and try and sow the odd seed of doubt in the minds of Englands attack, we were passive and neither here nor there between attack and defence to be honest.

The more we experience these kinds of situations, the better we will get at handling them. I saw the following stats posted by a Kiwi on another board this morning:
And that is why it is important to be given chance. Its a shame Ireland cricket was going up after their 2007 Cricket WC story, instead of having teams play more ODIs with them , there were no steps taken. Teams will not grow unless they are given chance, be it Ireland or Afganistan or Kenya or we are seeing with Zimbabwe.

Di Maria's angel

Really? I didn't know that, what did they do? England have let Irish players come through the County system which next year onwards will become quite difficult.
To be honest, I gave this a thought and realised that this has happened. In fairness, we hosted Sri Lanka a few times and toured before others followed. A one test match series isnt going to help them much. Although I have to check my facts.

Edit: we toured them in a first class series 7 or 8 years before they attained test status.

Last edited:

AshRK

Unfortunately, its not really worth the time and effort. Plus, do Ireland even care? Does the US or Canada even have a small level of interest in the sport? They had a legends game a few years back in the US - great turn out but all Indians.
That's a poor excuse. Ireland are playing cricket so for sure people will start caring if they do well. People in north america don't care about Football that much but when their country does well (see Women Football) people start taking the game seriously. I am not saying Cricket = Football but don't you think the time has come to grow the game. I don't think it takes lot of time and efforts to organise some meaningful series. As I said in my previous thread, how much hassle would it be to organise a one off T20 game against USA or Canada especially when you are in that part of the world. People may not care initially but you have to start somewhere.

FlawlessThaw

To be honest, I gave this a thought and realised that this has happened. In fairness, we hosted Sri Lanka a few times and toured before others followed. A one test match series isnt going to help them much. Although I have to check my facts.
Ireland's long term problem is now that they have Test status and the grace period is over, all their County players will be considered foreign unless they give up playing for Ireland. So the likes of Stirling and Murtagh have a big decision to make, so the same thing that impacts South Africa will have an impact on them.

JohnnyKills

Christ, this is tough to bat against.

Broad and Woakes have been sensational.
Was predictable though wasn't it. When I mentioned Trinidad earlier I thought about adding 'which might happen again today' but decided against. It's a shame. After so many ludicrously wrong predictions it would have been nice to get one right.

Anyway, looks like England's best chance of winning the Ashes is playing in conditions like these. The Aussie top order is better than ours but seam-and-swing conditions will negate that. Then our lower order will out-biff theirs when the ball gets soft.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Is Root a proven three though? Haven't most of his runs come at four or five?

Can see Denly lasting one test in the Ashes and then Sibley coming in.

Djemba-Djemba

Was predictable though wasn't it. When I mentioned Trinidad earlier I thought about adding 'which might happen again today' but decided against. It's a shame. After so many ludicrously wrong predictions it would have been nice to get one right.

Anyway, looks like England's best chance of winning the Ashes is playing in conditions like these. The Aussie top order is better than ours but seam-and-swing conditions will negate that. Then our lower order will out-biff theirs when the ball gets soft.
Yeah if we get pitches and conditions like this I think it becomes a shootout with the bowlers and in these conditions I fancy our bowlers to be better.

I mean 38 all out is pretty fecking low but imagine if Jimmy was playing today in those conditions?

They'd have been lucky to get to double figures.

JohnnyKills

Yeah if we get pitches and conditions like this I think it becomes a shootout with the bowlers and in these conditions I fancy our bowlers to be better.

I mean 38 all out is pretty fecking low but imagine if Jimmy was playing today in those conditions?

They'd have been lucky to get to double figures.
Was thinking that earlier. Although tbh I think Woakes is probably on a par now. Anderson looks like he's coming to the end now (hope he has a last hurrah in the Ashes mind).

JohnnyKills

Hmmm... a test match hosted in England which means they have all the influence on conditions.
So no link then.

Mate just take it down a notch, ok? None of the English fans in this thread hate India as much as you seem to hate England. We all come in peace.