English cricket thread

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Are there any other decent off spiner options for England to look beyond Ali potentially? I love the lad but clearly the past year hasn't been good for him.
I fully support dropping Moeen so he can come back to us at Worcestershire :)

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I really like him but he looks destroyed now at international level. That was an awful dismissal.
yeah I’m not sure how mentally fit he is for international duty to be honest, he seems very comfortable playing for us at Worcestershire but T20 Blast and County cricket is not international test standard. He’s occupying that space where he’s “too good” for domestic but not able to cut it at international level

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really don’t understand the logic in playing Sarfraz instead of Rizwan who has been terrific.

ha_rooney

Giving Sarfraz a game? These guys have all traveled and sacrificed in biosecure conditions. Its all preparation for next world cup. It's good.
Honestly, the way our players are if you’re in form then keep them going (particularly the batsmen). I think he’s been our best player & I would’ve liked to see him bat.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Honestly, the way our players are if you’re in form then keep them going (particularly the batsmen). I think he’s been our best player & I would’ve liked to see him bat.
Sure. But Rizwan has played every game and is a known quantity. Good to give others also a chance, especially on tour?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Really? Root doesn’t have the range of power hits for t20. Can’t even get an IPL gig
He was England's best player in the last T20 WC and the next one is being played in the same country. England's best player of spin. Would be madness going without him imo.

I don't get the obsession with having a batting lineup consisting only of power hitters. Cricket doesn't work like that, not even T20s. People were saying that the two Windies T20 winning teams only consisted of power hitters but on both occasions their top run scorer was an accumulator (Samuels). He was MOTM in both finals and their so called power hitters weren't to be seen (apart from Braithwaite in the final over).

Root averages 36 runs from 27 balls. That leaves 15.3 overs for the power hitters around him with license to kill. That's the perfect blueprint if you want to win tournaments.

JohnnyKills

Great start for Mo. Really need him to come back into form as he's crucial to this team.

JohnnyKills

Anyone else think it'd be worth taking Mahmood on the India test tour this winter? Slippery pace, slingy action, reverse swing, hits the stumps more often than not...

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
He was England's best player in the last T20 WC and the next one is being played in the same country. England's best player of spin. Would be madness going without him imo.

I don't get the obsession with having a batting lineup consisting only of power hitters. Cricket doesn't work like that, not even T20s. People were saying that the two Windies T20 winning teams only consisted of power hitters but on both occasions their top run scorer was an accumulator (Samuels). He was MOTM in both finals and their so called power hitters weren't to be seen (apart from Braithwaite in the final over).

Root averages 36 runs from 27 balls. That leaves 15.3 overs for the power hitters around him with license to kill. That's the perfect blueprint if you want to win tournaments.
im fully behind having root in the squad, he doesn’t eat up balls and he gets the big hitters on strike, sometimes you need someone like that ticking over when the wickets fall. I think I read an interview with Steve Smith earlier where he’s expecting his role to be similar

JohnnyKills

im fully behind having root in the squad, he doesn’t eat up balls and he gets the big hitters on strike, sometimes you need someone like that ticking over when the wickets fall. I think I read an interview with Steve Smith earlier where he’s expecting his role to be similar
I wouldn't take Root personally. He'd get in most T20 sides in the world but England have so many power-hitting options and Malan can play the 'accumulator' role in T20 better than him.

If Root isn't a starter, under what circumstances would you bring him in? Just don't see the point in taking him just to be a reserve.

ha_rooney

That 3rd boundary was beautiful batting.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I wouldn't take Root personally. He'd get in most T20 sides in the world but England have so many power-hitting options and Malan can play the 'accumulator' role in T20 better than him.

If Root isn't a starter, under what circumstances would you bring him in? Just don't see the point in taking him just to be a reserve.
malan has done well for himself to be fair, I think his test showings have put me off him but this is a different game, I’d agree not taking him as backup though, his bowling doesn’t really offer enough to justify it

JohnnyKills

malan has done well for himself to be fair, I think his test showings have put me off him but this is a different game, I’d agree not taking him as backup though, his bowling doesn’t really offer enough to justify it
Yeah there are just more versatile players for that backup role aren't there (Livingstone, Billings, even Vince). Plus doesn't seem right asking the test captain, and one of the key players in the 50-over side, to be an occasional sub in the T20.

ha_rooney

That’s well bowled. Think he was expecting a slower ball.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah there are just more versatile players for that backup role aren't there (Livingstone, Billings, even Vince). Plus doesn't seem right asking the test captain, and one of the key players in the 50-over side, to be an occasional sub in the T20.
Picking Root stinks of sycophancy politics propagated by his TV mates like Vaughan and Key. These is no statistical nor recent performance basis for his inclusion, and there are several candidates who have proven they do a better job in recent T20i.

It’s not as though Root is plundering runs in other formats either, and as I stated before, fact he can’t even get an IPL gig is damning.

Thankfully Morgan is a very fair and meritocratic leader, totally wise to the ‘politics of lobbyists’ and now powerful enough to ignore them. I’m sure he will choose the his squad based on potential and form.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Saw him bat in the u-19 world cup - he looked top class. Reminded me of Shubman Gill from India who is about the same age and is also a top class player.
Babar, Fakhar and Haider is a seriously exciting top order for the WC.

NinjaFletch

Picking Root stinks of sycophancy politics propagated by his TV mates like Vaughan and Key. These is no statistical not recent performance basis for his inclusion, and there are several candidates who have proven they do a better job in recent T20i.

It’s not as though Root is plundering runs in other formats either, and as I stated before, fact he can’t even get an IPL gig is damning.

Thankfully Morgan is a very fair and meritocratic leader, totally wise to the ‘politics of lobbyists’ and now powerful enough to ignore them. I’m sure he will choose the his squad based on potential and form.
It's not really damming. He simply hasn't played many T20 matches because he tend(ed) to be rested for them by England and was playing for England during the blast. The lack of IPL gig has mostly been the result of Root's high base and his own lack of availability (I'm pretty sure he only made himself available for 2018 and had the highest base price), but, if we're using that as the basis for the criteria, then Morgan should be dropped, too. I don't think he's played in the IPL for three years, and he has a middling record in the competition. IPL owners make some really dumb decisions, too, Sam Curran was bought off the back of a good test series against India.

Root's paying the price for England's schedule which hasn't seen him play much T20 cricket, but the attempts to rewrite history to suggest he isn't good enough in the format are simply absurd. He was the third highest scorer in the last WT20 with an average of 50 and a SR of 150 and I hope he continues his current good form in the blast where he's hitting it to all corners because he's a significantly better player than the likes of Denly who is inexplicably still around the squad despite averaging less than 10 (!) after what feels like a million T20is.

ha_rooney

The Professor’s having a very good tour with the bat. Another good knock.

ha_rooney

Good final over for England. Competitive total but feel we’re about 15 runs short on this pitch.

ha_rooney

Really don’t get why both sets of bowlers have been so short?! Are they not watching what happens?

JohnnyKills

Morgan and Moeen against Shadab will be crucial here.

Also nice hair transplant on Wahab.