English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

We Silverwood gone that's for certain
Being fair to Silverwood, he didn't want this bowling attack either. He wanted to pick Archer, Stone and Carse and they all got injured.

That said, none of the young players are really progressing under him and there've been loads of strange decisions, right back to his first test in New Zealand where Archer bowled 50 overs in a game that didn't have any WTC points attached.

Might be best for everyone to part ways.

TheGame

Tbf Root's figures are distorted by those shocking pitches in India but yeah, Broad has been trading on past glories for a while now, as has Anderson (who seems to have two or three anonymous games for every good one these days).

Might be a good time to move on from both of them after this series and rebuild the attack around Robinson, Mahmood, Archer (if he comes back 100%) etc
Anderson was still good in the home series and I think he has bowled well here. If you have fast bowlers around him, he can be the accuracy bowler however probably only has a year or two left really. Broad struggles away from home.

TheGame

Being fair to Silverwood, he didn't want this bowling attack either. He wanted to pick Archer, Stone and Carse and they all got injured.

That said, none of the young players are really progressing under him and there've been loads of strange decisions, right back to his first test in New Zealand where Archer bowled 50 overs in a game that didn't have any WTC points attached.

Might be best for everyone to part ways.
I didn't know he was in the frame for a Test call.

Trequarista10

Tbf Root's figures are distorted by those shocking pitches in India but yeah, Broad has been trading on past glories for a while now, as has Anderson (who seems to have two or three anonymous games for every good one these days).

Might be a good time to move on from both of them after this series and rebuild the attack around Robinson, Mahmood, Archer (if he comes back 100%) etc
Anderson's figures are incredible still. Averaging 23 this year, 20 last year. In this series he's averaging 22. At an economy rate of under 2, which is phenomenal and puts the pressure on the batting side to take more risks against other bowlers. Sadly, our other bowlers can't capitalise on that.

Last edited:

SinNombre

Root is averaging below 30 in this series, and averaged 9.5 in the SL series with the ball but let's not waste any time in fighting windmills with pitches in India :lol:

And Anderson is averaging 20 and 23 with the ball in the last two years.

Cliches aren't facts.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not sure why Ollie Stone is counted as a big miss or England in this thread. Bloke is 28 and has played 3 tests and 4 ODIs for England.

LDUred

Not sure why Ollie Stone is counted as a big miss or England in this thread. Bloke is 28 and has played 3 tests and 4 ODIs for England.
To be fair to Stone, he has bowled some pretty aggressive spells in county cricket. In the last 10 years can't think of many quicker, bar Mark Wood and Archer.

Being at Northants didn't help his cause because it's Division 2 cricket and an unfashionable county. Since he went to Warwickshire he has been a bit of a sicknote sadly.

LDUred

142-6 at dinner.

I don't want to give England too much credit because they are going to lose by a few hundred runs here, but credit to Stokes, Buttler, and Woakes for not giving their wickets away cheaply.

You sense for there to have been any hope whatsoever England would have had to have got to this point four down at the very least. The new ball is just six overs away and Ollie Robinson is next in.

Pope has been very disappointing, but who is going to replace him? There is Dan Lawrence and Jonny Bairstow and neither fill you with confidence or have the potential Pope has.

To not get anything out of Ollie Pope makes you question what is going on in the England set-up. He's an exceptionally gifted player.

KM

nearly 30 over partnership by Buttler and Woakes. Decent comeback so far.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
nearly 30 over partnership by Buttler and Woakes. Decent comeback so far.
Yeah, making them work for it, at least. Shouldn't be long now.

KM

The Cricketer reporting that Saqib Mahmood will be called back from BBL and added to the test squad for third test.

LDUred

Great nip backer from Jhye Richardson to dispose of Woakes, who played extremely well. You wonder if the four the ball before had somehow contributed to Woakes' demise, there.

That was a beauty though and slightly out of the blue.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

This update from BBC tickled me:

The required rate is approaching 7.5 an over so, unless Buttler really gets going, England may need to settle for a draw.

:lol:

KM

Aussies have got a star in Cameron Green.

Cloud7

I really do feel for the batsmen in these circumstances. Coming out there to block for an entire today is not an easy thing. Can't even imagine how difficult it must be to mentally steel yourself for that.

KM

There is honestly nothing in this pitch. Looks quite slow.

zing

Zingle balls
This is the worst English side I’ve seen — I’ve been watching for about 15 years. There have been a few 5-0s in that time but no team looked as crap as this one imo.

Dan_F

This is the worst English side I’ve seen — I’ve been watching for about 15 years. There have been a few 5-0s in that time but no team looked as crap as this one imo.
Agreed. There’s a lot of talent there but the openers are clouding over every other aspect. The middle order is guaranteed to be on the back foot every innings and things tend to crumble from there in terms of mentality.

They somehow managed to make this bowling attack look like peak Warne and McGrath, when in reality it is proper average.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think I've seen worse but probably not in the last 15 years, to be fair. I'd say this is the worst since Duncan Fletcher took over.

arnie_ni

Has there ever been as big a discrepancy between a limited over team and the test team for any nation?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think there’s some truth in here, but I also feel both teams, England moreso, are woefully underprepared due to Covid and having their warm up games cancelled. It’s two poor to average test teams playing against each other. What we had in the 00s quality wise is light years from this.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think I've seen worse but probably not in the last 15 years, to be fair. I'd say this is the worst since Duncan Fletcher took over.
Agreed. I don't have strong memories of English sides prior to Hussain's captaincy but this is definitely the worst English side I've seen.

Silverwood needs to go for me. Both the Test and the white ball teams have regressed since he started.

KM

I think there’s some truth in here, but I also feel both teams, England moreso, are woefully underprepared due to Covid and having their warm up games cancelled. It’s two poor to average test teams playing against each other. What we had in the 00s quality wise is light years from this.
Australian test team with Cummins and Hazelwood isn't average at all.

I don't think they've ever had a better pace bowling attack in their history. Batting wise they've Smith, Warner and Marnus who are all amazing.

Balljy

I don't think they've ever had a better pace bowling attack in their history. Batting wise they've Smith, Warner and Marnus who are all amazing.
The bowling is definitely on the good end of their test teams but in my eyes it's not better than Brett Lee, Gillespie and Mcgrath. The latter in particular gave them something this attack hasn't got and the former two gave the aggresion.

Outside of pace, Warne rounded that out as the other-end bowler and he's obviously in a league of his own for them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Sorta agree - they're a better outfit than England, but it's not a patch on the Aussie teams of yesteryear. I'd say Warner and Smith are the only two that come to mind that would make the Aussie teams of years gone by.

zing

Zingle balls
Sorta agree - they're a better outfit than England, but it's not a patch on the Aussie teams of yesteryear. I'd say Warner and Smith are the only two that come to mind that would make the Aussie teams of years gone by.
Not a fair benchmark. That was a top 2 GOAT contender.

This Aus team is very good and is being underrated. It’s better than at least anything from when Michael Clarke took over. Two bowlers who’ll end Aussie greats and Lyon is very competent. They’ve been batting decently since Marnus emerged because even weak batters like Head look better if they’re playing around a solid 3-4 pair.

zing

Zingle balls
Has there ever been as big a discrepancy between a limited over team and the test team for any nation?
Guessing WI were t20 world champions and near bottom of test rankings at same time

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This England test side is still competitive at home.

Tight series with India, drew with Australia etc.

But yeah away from home it's pathetic, probably the worst since about '98.

JohnnyKills

Agreed. I don't have strong memories of English sides prior to Hussain's captaincy but this is definitely the worst English side I've seen.

Silverwood needs to go for me. Both the Test and the white ball teams have regressed since he started.
Tbf we've had a few injuries and Covid has clearly unsettled things but yeah, it's definitely trending downwards.