English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
On a serious note, we may need to try some different bowlers. Mahmood is in Australia isn't he.
Spin, new bowlers, spare batsmen.. nothing's going to work

England have a couple of years of building to do to get a decent side. They're a bit rubbish now unfortunately

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
England need a new opener, wicket keeper and need to show more faith in their spinner. Can't believe they're not playing an off spinner against Aussies who have majority lefties in their top order.

With Stokes they don't need to play four pacers.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
On a serious note, we may need to try some different bowlers. Mahmood is in Australia isn't he.
May as well. This serie is over, better to give the next iteration some experience for the next one.

But Mahmood and Wood into the attack would give England the option for pace at both ends.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

England have a couple of years of building to do to get a decent side. They're a bit rubbish now unfortunately
It's likely going to be longer than that. There simply aren't enough good players to plug the holes needing plugging. And it seems all the real talent can't stay fit for more than 5 minutes.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

We had this exact conversation as a country after the last Australia tour.

zing

Zingle balls
Harris knew if he turned back there that was his last game

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

This is the biggest issue.

zing

Zingle balls
We had this exact conversation as a country after the last Australia tour.
When Strauss left, England tried so many openers and nothing worked. It feels like you're now going through that but for nearly every position in the 11

JohnnyKills

It's likely going to be longer than that. There simply aren't enough good players to plug the holes needing plugging. And it seems all the real talent can't stay fit for more than 5 minutes.
Not sure tbh. We've got plenty of good players - no reason why Pope and Crawley can't crack it at test level. And bowling attack will be a lot stronger if we can get Archer back (think Stone might be knackered sadly).

Spinner is the biggest issue. I'd just pick Bess and stick with him. He can bat, so he'll contribute even if he's bowling poorly.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
When Strauss left, England tried so many openers and nothing worked. It feels like you're now going through that but for nearly every position in the 11
The only three players guaranteed to play the first test of our summer are Root, Stokes and Robinson (whose fitness/lack of pace is an issue for me despite doing nothing wrong so far).

JohnnyKills

The only three players guaranteed to play the first test of our summer are Root, Stokes and Robinson (whose fitness/lack of pace is an issue for me despite doing nothing wrong so far).
There's no reason why a guy his size is only bowling 80mph. How has he got this far without fixing that (or a coach fixing it for him)? He'll become innocuous very quickly if he doesn't gain a couple of extra mph, like Hazelwood did a few years ago.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There's no reason why a guy his size is only bowling 80mph. How has he got this far without fixing that (or a coach fixing it for him)? He'll become innocuous very quickly if he doesn't gain a couple of extra mph, like Hazelwood did a few years ago.
He's 28, it won't change now.

We breed players like that in county cricket as you don't need pace on green tops with cloud cover.

Longshanks

Batsmen failed again, Aus top order was so disciplined. Root and malan got out chasing balls they could of left, Hameed and pope made poor shot choices and butter got out throwing the kitchen sink at a drive when we were well under the pump. Too many failures again, and its not as if they all got good balls.

LDUred

Another catastrophic day's play presided over by genius coach Silverwood, who just seems a non entity with no clue about test cricket at all. Great first session from Root and Malan, but you always sensed that Australia just needed one wicket to get England going into another tailspin.

The contrast between a patched up Aussie attack bowling under lights to our own was alarming. The first test team had been manipulated so that Anderson and Broad could bowl those spells, in which they both went wicketless and looked sadly like spent forces. Jack Leach, who probably should have played here, was effectively sacrificed at the gabba so that Broad and Anderson could bowl those spells fresh.

Bar Root's batting and some decent displays from Malan and Wood, we are outgunned in every department. We are farther off than we were last time round, and we were dismal then, too.

I would very much consider ringing the changes for the third test. Not likely to make a difference in terms of results but it gives others a chance to stake a claim.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not sure how Silverwood can keep his place after this series,the team is worse in every possible way even though he has had absolute power for a while now. There is no fight in this team and they are completely inept skills wise. Match after match this year Root & Silverwood have picked wrong lineups and it’s getting worse now. It’s like a bad football team who has given up on their manager.

Roane

All over. Australia will bat again.

This could be an interesting passage of play with Anderson and Broad bowling with the new ball under lights, albeit in a near-hopeless situation.
All over. Aust
Not sure how Silverwood can keep his place after this series,the team is worse in every possible way even though he has had absolute power for a while now. There is no fight in this team and they are completely inept skills wise. Match after match this year Root & Silverwood have picked wrong lineups and it’s getting worse now. It’s like a bad football team who has given up on their manager.

Admittedly I don't follow cricket the way I used to but what is it with England having coaches etc that are failed test match cricketers?

I'm thinking likes of Ramprakash and even Hick and now Silverwood etc

croadyman

Because ECB love a yes man who won't kick up a fuss about the state of test cricket

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not sure tbh. We've got plenty of good players - no reason why Pope and Crawley can't crack it at test level. And bowling attack will be a lot stronger if we can get Archer back (think Stone might be knackered sadly).

Spinner is the biggest issue. I'd just pick Bess and stick with him. He can bat, so he'll contribute even if he's bowling poorly.
feck Bess, average bowler, average batsman. Just get Livingstone in there ASAP and give him a go. Between him and Root you'd expect one of them to be bowling ok in any given game and our batting lineup might be able to instil a bit of fear with Woakes down at no.9.

I'd put Buttler 6, Pope 7, Livingstone 8 and take all the pressure off Pope as he'd always be batting with someone positive in almost any situation. Or you know, sack Pope off and let him play county cricket for a couple of years and try Bohannon or somebody out. We can't keep wheeling out the same failures and average nice guys year after year and just hope something clicks. It hasn't and it won't, let's seek out our most talented players and give them a run, then if/when they fail you do the same again and again and again until we hit on the right people. It doesn't mean they'll never get another chance, it just means they need to go and work on their games. Look at Malan.

TheGame

feck Bess, average bowler, average batsman. Just get Livingstone in there ASAP and give him a go. Between him and Root you'd expect one of them to be bowling ok in any given game and our batting lineup might be able to instil a bit of fear with Woakes down at no.9.

I'd put Buttler 6, Pope 7, Livingstone 8 and take all the pressure off Pope as he'd always be batting with someone positive in almost any situation. Or you know, sack Pope off and let him play county cricket for a couple of years and try Bohannon or somebody out. We can't keep wheeling out the same failures and average nice guys year after year and just hope something clicks. It hasn't and it won't, let's seek out our most talented players and give them a run, then if/when they fail you do the same again and again and again until we hit on the right people. It doesn't mean they'll never get another chance, it just means they need to go and work on their games. Look at Malan.
No way Livingstone is an 8. Wasted down there. If you are going to pick him, he needs to bat higher up. Pope is already proficient in county cricket, he needs to prove himself now.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
No way Livingstone is an 8. Wasted down there. If you are going to pick him, he needs to bat higher up. Pope is already proficient in county cricket, he needs to prove himself now.
Yep Pope averages 60 in F/C Cricket, if he can't make it at Test level it's not a great look for the system.

Livingstone can't bowl at test level. He has no red ball form for Lancs, his batting doesn't really stand up either but I do agree he can hardly be any worse.

TheGame

Yep Pope averages 60 in F/C Cricket, if he can't make it at Test level it's not a great look for the system.

Livingstone can't bowl at test level. He has no red ball form for Lancs, his batting doesn't really stand up either but I do agree he can hardly be any worse.
Spinner wise there are better options. Parkinson or Virdi if you want to go with someone young and develop them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Livingstone and Bohannon have 2 of the highest FC batting averages right now (albeit lower than Pope's) and they're both passable with the ball in hand. It's not saying much compared to days of yore but some players step up at Test level while others crumble. Trescothick for example had a higher Test average than FC. You can see the talent with Livingstone, I just can't really with Bess. And we can't keep trying the same things and expecting different results.

JohnnyKills

He's actually bowled a lot for Lancs. We often bowl him ahead of Parky when they play together.

He's generally quite tight but doesn't take many wickets, so maybe he could play a defensive role for us. I'd be happy to give him a go.

LDUred

Malan takes a wicket bowling some very suspect 'leg spin', and Labuschagne holes out. :lol:

I'm guessing at this point Australia are just batting time and wanting England to come out and bat when it's a bit darker. Maybe they want Green to get a score.

Last edited:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Leggies are a different kettle of fish on harder bouncier pitches in Oz, so why on earth has Livingston not been selected????

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He's actually bowled a lot for Lancs. We often bowl him ahead of Parky when they play together.

He's generally quite tight but doesn't take many wickets, so maybe he could play a defensive role for us. I'd be happy to give him a go.
Livingston bowls with a lot more control than the other poster is suggesting and he also bats straight with an orthodox technique, he’s a very talented and powerful athlete. Roy, Vince and Livingston, 3 batsman very talented batsman. Yet England insisted in trying to develop much less talented batsman the past 4 years.

LDUred

Malan an inch away from a second wicket there.

Starc just felt his back there after slog sweeping Root.