English cricket thread

Nico87

This has been woeful, surely Anderson and abroad still have a role to play for the near future at least.

Djemba-Djemba

1 win in 17 matches.

5 series defeats in a row. This is worse than the 90s.

If there was anyone else even remotely competent that wanted the job Root would no longer be captain.

Last edited:

PoTMS

What is the point of the England top order? Honestly we couldn't have performed much worse if we just randomly chose members of the Barmy Army to open our batting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Imagine if that Mayers played in the first two games FFS
:lol: 3 years ago this dude was playing domestic cricket here in Norway and smacking amateur bowlers all over the park. Did not expect him to turn into peak Ambrose against England in tests.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol: 3 years ago this dude was playing domestic cricket here in Norway and smacking amateur bowlers all over the park. Did not expect him to turn into peak Ambrose against England in tests.
I know of a guy who plays cricket for Norway forget his name but left handed bat opener played for a team in Sussex.

Think his name is Walid come to think of it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
When Lees decides to put his shots away, which has happened a lot this series (somewhat understandably) he is one of the most miserably slow scoring batsmen I've seen.

Strike rate currently a touch over 17.

Samid

I know of a guy who plays cricket for Norway forget his name but left handed bat opener played for a team in Sussex.

Think his name is Walid come to think of it.
Hah, small world! Yeah he's a decent batsman relative to the level here. Facilities are a bit different here compared to England, there are 5 grounds shared between around 100 teams.

DOTA

Hah, small world! Yeah he's a decent batsman relative to the level here. Facilities are a bit different here compared to England, there are 5 grounds shared between around 100 teams.
Are the teams majority South Asian?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Grass wickets at the grounds? Or just synthetic is that what you call the astro turf like wicket?

TheGame

When Lees decides to put his shots away, which has happened a lot this series (somewhat understandably) he is one of the most miserably slow scoring batsmen I've seen.

Strike rate currently a touch over 17.
Crawley has the right mindset but needs to learn to play himself in. Openers should be putting some pressure on the bowlers not just defending.

DOTA

Crawley has the right mindset but needs to learn to play himself in. Openers should be putting some pressure on the bowlers not just defending.
Sometimes. Think batting for your life is clearly the way to go on this pitch, to be fair.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This summer Stokes needs to move back down number 6 and Bairstow to number 5.

Samid

Are the teams majority South Asian?
Yup. Some English/Australian teams too. Cricket has the same problem everywhere, it's mostly just expats from test nations playing it. They have to introduce it to the Olympics if they really want to expand the game.

Grass wickets at the grounds? Or just synthetic is that what you call the astro turf like wicket?
Not sure what it's called but it's definitely astro turf-ish. Zero chance of grass wickets with 10+ games per week on every ground. Not to mention we have about two days above 20 degrees per 'summer' :lol:

LDUred

Well, losing this might mean finally putting Root out of his misery as captain.

If we had somehow scraped a series win here it would have papered over the cracks and they could have hailed it as a new beginning: he would have certainly stayed on for the summer test schedule, potentially beyond.

For the sake of his own sanity, he now needs to call it quits and just concentrate on doing his job with the bat. Let someone else carry the burden for this utter shit-show.

Nico87

I know he won’t get it as the new regime don’t fancy him but If Stokes doesn’t want to be captain is Broad not worth a go?. He’s still one of our best bowlers, good brain and won’t mind ruffling a few feathers, and at least when we have days like this his shithousery would be fun.

DOTA

I know he won’t get it as the new regime don’t fancy him but If Stokes doesn’t want to be captain is Broad not worth a go?. He’s still one of our best bowlers, good brain and won’t mind ruffling a few feathers, and at least when we have days like this his shithousery would be fun.
Jesus Christ.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Being a captain you have to command respect and Broad certainly doesn’t.

DOTA

I think it's reached the point Stokes is going to have to do it. Which is a bad idea and will end badly but there's a small possibility that by the time it does someone else will have managed to secure their place in the team sufficiently for a go.

DOTA

Well it's not exactly going well now, so, actually, it's already ended badly.
Yeah, results can't get worse. Stokes can though. We could permanently break him, I think, by doing it. But at this point the biggest question around the team other than 'how can they be this bad?' is 'are we absolutely sure Ben can't do it?' and I don't think that's sustainable either.