English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I’ll reserve judgement until WI bat but may be looking like the WI prepare 2 dead pitches for a 1 game shootout for the last test.
There's actually a bit of grass on this one if you see it close up. I don't think it's dreadful or anything but it's definitely a bowl first one.

Trequarista10

An hour ago I was willing Leach on to top score for the innings, now I'm hoping Mahmood can do it! Would be nice if one of them could get 50..

paulscholes18

So close but yet so far.
Cracking effort from the 10 and 11. Think that is the first time I've seen a no10 and 11 top score in an innings

LDUred

The absolute state of that first innings scorecard.

Fair fecks to Saqib and Leach for fighting back, but how flimsy does a top and middle order have to be to just keel over like that, without a single recognized batsman (ok, Lees managed 31 from 97) digging in?

Decent conditions for a bowl, but even so.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

The absolute state of that first innings scorecard.

Fair fecks to Saqib and Leach for fighting back, but how flimsy does a top and middle order have to be to just keel over like that, without a single recognized batsman (ok, Lees managed 31 from 97) digging in?

Decent conditions for a bowl, but even so.
Was ridiculous in the first couple of sessions though. Ball moving everywhere and uneven bounce.

England did well to make 200 but now it's got easier you can see WI getting a lead of 100/150.

JohnnyKills

Dreading this batting display convincing them that Woakes is worth continuing with overseas/Overton is worth continuing with inee general
Don't see it myself. Archer and Stone have both been practicing with the squad - England clearly desperate to get them both back. Wood and Robinson will come back into the squad when they're fit and Mahmood looks an excellent prospect.

Can see them using Woakes at home but Overton won't play much more after this series unless he gains some pace.

phelans shorts

Don't see it myself. Archer and Stone have both been practicing with the squad - England clearly desperate to get them both back. Wood and Robinson will come back into the squad when they're fit and Mahmood looks an excellent prospect.

Can see them using Woakes at home but Overton won't play much more after this series unless he gains some pace.
You’ve named three players who’s fitness is always in doubt, and Ollie Robinson. Mahmood is great (probably Lancashire’s second best bowler in this squad, but I digress) but you can’t rely on Archer/Stone/Wood remaining available, add in the years we’ve had of persevering with Woakes away from home purely because he knows which way round to hold a bat and I don’t see the structural changes being enough to change that tendency.

Outside of that were looking at who, Sam Curran? There’s not really much depth at all. Fisher did alright in Barbados so he’s possibly an option going forward, but again I struggle to see him being picked over Woakes/Overton if they’re all available purely for the batting (which in Overton’s case is incredibly overrated to begin with) as is kinda evidenced by Fisher dropping out for Overton for this game.

JohnnyKills

You’ve named three players who’s fitness is always in doubt, and Ollie Robinson. Mahmood is great (probably Lancashire’s second best bowler in this squad, but I digress) but you can’t rely on Archer/Stone/Wood remaining available, add in the years we’ve had of persevering with Woakes away from home purely because he knows which way round to hold a bat and I don’t see the structural changes being enough to change that tendency.

Outside of that were looking at who, Sam Curran? There’s not really much depth at all. Fisher did alright in Barbados so he’s possibly an option going forward, but again I struggle to see him being picked over Woakes/Overton if they’re all available purely for the batting (which in Overton’s case is incredibly overrated to begin with) as is kinda evidenced by Fisher dropping out for Overton for this game.
Harsh on Archer. He's had one injury (which we've caused). Hopefully the two bouts of surgery fix it. Same with Stone - think he's had a screw put in his back - but that seems less likely.

The key will be to get a squad of fast bowlers who can be rotated in and out (and for Root not to overbowl them or make them bowl dead overs).

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The batting, bowling and the fielding is lacking in application and talent - but other than that I don't think our team is that far off.

DOTA

I was going to agree but the first two balls of this over have gone to the boundary.

He started okay but nothing they couldn't handle.
Yeah, I got him good there.

There was one ball they couldn't handle. More of those needed.

DOTA

Overton not getting them out but beating them up a fair bit.

Abraxas

England are just appalling. A really low ebb. There's such little stand out quality.

Batting not test class except Root and Stokes (intermittently, his batting is a bit overrated). Completely new bowling lineup that looks well short. No spinner. So we've got what, 2 test class players? Averaging 35 would be the new 40 for this lot.

Ollie Robinson is the only newcomer that has somewhat impressed me. He'll do a job, especially in England.

Abraxas

Maybe I was a bit harsh in terms of Mahmood. He's done alright in ODIs and not a bad start here. Has some pace. Think he needs to work on his skills a bit, he can be a bit gun barrel straight. Can see him getting pounded in some places around the world. But some raw talent there.

DOTA

Credit to Saqib and Overton for managing to keep the ball out of Leach's hand. Both were quite threatening second hour.

Interval

Level
Sorry. Wrong thread. But bloody hell Cummins is an outstanding captain and bowler. In tests, he will go down as probably top 10 of all time. Which is saying something.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Sorry. Wrong thread. But bloody hell Cummins is an outstanding captain and bowler. In tests, he will go down as probably top 10 of all time. Which is saying something.
What's he done Captaincy wise that's been particularly impressive? Genuine question, not a veiled dig.
Bowler wise speaks for itself, superb player.

Interval

Level
What's he done Captaincy wise that's been particularly impressive? Genuine question, not a veiled dig.
Bowler wise speaks for itself, superb player.
Think the mentality that Australia have shown in Ashes and in Pakistan is far far better, more dogged and authoritative than before. That too without being sly arrogant dicks in the past.

all round a great bowler, sportsman and good role model it seems

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Great knock from the Windies keeper. Big fan of his temperament and technique.