English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Just realised Netherlands won the toss.

Would prefer them batting first in the other matches.

Dan_F

Highlights anywhere tonight? By the time I remembered it was on England were already past 400 :lol:

phelans shorts

I mean, fair enough, but the scoreboard is looking like a pretty decent answer to 'why not?' at the minute. :lol:
I hate this line of thinking in whatever sport it’s brought up in. It’s pure elitism, and it’s not like England haven’t lost to associates since they won the World Cup. Imagine how boring sport would be without any shock results because the best can only face the best?

Nah, everyone remembers the like of Barney reached the cup semi final. Usually it will be a bit of a precession (although even that, young Dutch kids might have seen what Jos/Livi did today and want to take it up and that’s only exacerbated when such a side does win) but those shocks are a key part of why we all love sport, no?

DOTA

I hate this line of thinking in whatever sport it’s brought up in. It’s pure elitism, and it’s not like England haven’t lost to associates since they won the World Cup. Imagine how boring sport would be without any shock results because the best can only face the best?

Nah, everyone remembers the like of Barney reached the cup semi final. Usually it will be a bit of a precession (although even that, young Dutch kids might have seen what Jos/Livi did today and want to take it up and that’s only exacerbated when such a side does win) but those shocks are a key part of why we all love sport, no?
I think Netherlands are about the lowest level I'd be up for 3 matches with, to be honest. I really wouldn't fancy doing that against USA or Nepal.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't see how Morgan fits into England's best side to be honest. Buttler now has to bat at number 4, any lower is a waste and then you have Stokes and Livingstone after him.

DOTA

I don't see how Morgan fits into England's best side to be honest. Buttler now has to bat at number 4, any lower is a waste and then you have Stokes and Livingstone after him.
It is getting increasingly awkward. Don't know if he can really make it to October.

phelans shorts

It is getting increasingly awkward. Don't know if he can really make it to October.
He’ll definitely make it to the World Cup as captain, reckon he stands down after it though. Jos being the obvious next white ball captain from November on.

He’s probably helped somewhat that I assume Stokes will no longer be on the T20 list (to be honest I wouldn’t pick him regardless in that format at this point). That being said Root is presumably now going to be available to replace Malan at 3.

In summary, who knows. Definitely don’t see Morgan going before the World Cup and they won’t push him either.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
With it being in India you would imagine Livingstone is a cert as a finisher/bowling option. Ideally I’d go:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Buttler (c)
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Rashid

Spin options and middle overs pace, plus the health of Archer/Woakes are crucial.

DOTA

He’ll definitely make it to the World Cup as captain
I think it's one half century in 25 innings now and it's getting talked about quite a lot. By the end of July that could be one in 39 (I doubt he'll really play all the games, mind).

phelans shorts

I think it's one half century in 25 innings now and it's getting talked about quite a lot. By the end of July that could be one in 39 (I doubt he'll really play all the games, mind).
It could, but he could also get one on Sunday. He could get a score like Buttler did today if he performs, and he’s still a brilliant leader.

There’s no chance he gets pushed, if he goes it’ll be his choice and I don’t see it before the World Cup.

Trequarista10

Morgan has stated recently he won't play every game from now on and will drop himself if required. When everyone is available and in form it's unlikely he'll be in the starting XI imo. There's simply too much quality elsewhere. Bairstow is a cert to come in, Livingstone is quickly establishing himself as undroppable. Even without Stokes if he isn't involved you have Salt and maybe Root as options, Malan is outperforming Morgan currently too, or you could move Livingstone and Ali one up the order. Curran, Willey, Woakes are all decent with the bat and you could comfortably have one of them at 7. There are also plenty of excellent white ball players at county level, including a few who have been doing well in franchise stuff, and there's a chance on of them could come in too. I think Morgan will be in the squad and captain for the T20 WC but won't play, and won't be at the 50 over WC next year.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

I have no issue with Stokes not playing in the bilateral series but he has to play in the World Cup. The Aussies don't always play their best players in those series but always bring in the likes of Cummins, Hazlewood for the World Cup when it matters.

DOTA

I have no issue with Stokes not playing in the bilateral series but he has to play in the World Cup. The Aussies don't always play their best players in those series but always bring in the likes of Cummins, Hazlewood for the World Cup when it matters.
Stokes isn't a good T20 player though.

FlawlessThaw

Stokes isn't a good T20 player though.
He's still Ben Stokes! No other player in the team has the same kind of mentality he has and overall the closest other pace all rounder England have is Sam Curran and he's better than him.

He would get in at number 3 in the T20 side ahead of Malan for me. Offers a similar anchor role and then more.

phelans shorts

He's still Ben Stokes! No other player in the team has the same kind of mentality he has and overall the closest other pace all rounder England have is Sam Curran and he's better than him.

He would get in at number 3 in the T20 side ahead of Malan for me. Offers a similar anchor role and then more.
Root is better in that role than Stokes. Why not him.

DOTA

His ability is entirely theoretical though. Stokes averages 20. Malan averages 40 at a slightly better strike right. His bowling's trash too.

FlawlessThaw

His ability is entirely theoretical though. Stokes averages 20. Malan averages 40 at a slightly better strike right. His bowling's trash too.
Yeah but that's not considering where they come in the batting order. It's just much harder overall coming in the lower down you are where you can't have 10 balls to get yourself in like Malan does. His bowling probably is good enough to share with 4 overs with Ali/Livingstone and that's the role he offers.

Stokes also has a relatively decent IPL record which can't be ignored either especially when he is batting in the top 3.

Root is better in that role than Stokes. Why not him.
I'd take Root over Malan for sure. I'm just going with Stokes as he is a better clutch player and if we need a 5th bowler to offer seam, he can do it.

DOTA

Speaking of people who are bad at T20 cricket, just seen Lancs are resorting to Bohannon opening. Is there no kid worth a shot?

phelans shorts

Speaking of people who are bad at T20 cricket, just seen Lancs are resorting to Bohannon opening. Is there no kid worth a shot?
Bohannon and Jennings is, let’s say, not a thrilling T20 opening partnership. Hopefully in this spell with everyone galavanting we can just about manage to nick a couple of results to stay in knockout spots.

Robindinho

Bowling attack too, got to be worth giving a young seamer a chance. The balance is all wrong...

3 frontline bowlers of Gleeson, Hartley and Parky and then hoping to make them up through Lamb/David/Wells.

arnie_ni

Buttler is so fun to watch. Some of those shots are out of this wold. My favourite player

JohnnyKills

As a Lancs fan it's frustrating to lose half the team to a bunch of meaningless ODIs.

I'm all for England taking priority and giving associate nations a chance (it's not too long ago that Holland beat us in the WT20) but come on... This is unfair to the counties.

Making the Blast knockout can make or break a county's financial year.

JohnnyKills

Bohannon and Jennings is, let’s say, not a thrilling T20 opening partnership. Hopefully in this spell with everyone galavanting we can just about manage to nick a couple of results to stay in knockout spots.
Surely Lavelle or Bell deserve a game.

JohnnyKills

I was amazed that there was no Lavelle or even Balderson, especially after the latter did such a good job upping the pace earlier in the week when we needed it. Hopefully we’ll see some fresh blood in the next few days with all the blast games during the series.
I know Lancs have been screwed by these ODIs but surely a couple of the youngsters would be better than Bohannon and Wells.

DOTA

Think Netherlands have batted okay so far in this series.

Gotta get this one, today. Very chaseable on a nice afternoon in Blackpool.

DOTA

If anyone is getting fed up with all the Lancs chat I don't think we'd take much persuading to take it elsewhere, so do speak up. We have massively upped the amount of it this year.

Kopral Jono

Unrelated to any of these and I could be imagining things here, but did the Caf used to have a dedicated England cricket sub-forum way back in the day? I seem to vaguely remember its existence.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
If anyone is getting fed up with all the Lancs chat I don't think we'd take much persuading to take it elsewhere, so do speak up. We have massively upped the amount of it this year.
I quite enjoy county chat in between the tests to be honest.