English cricket thread

adamwest

Haven't found myself too bothered with Women's cricket up until now (far too much time dedicated to other sports!) - but my word this Women's Ashes series has been incredible too! Thought we were unlucky to lose the test match and then from then on have been outstanding.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Having on by the skin of our teeth but we're still in it.

Dan_F

Great day out. First time I’ve seen the women live and the atmosphere was really nice. Being able to get food and drink so quickly made for a much better experience than when the men played there last year.

slyadams

Baffling take.
Is it though? Since when is a one handed jumping catch over someone's head become such an amazing feat for a professional sportsperson? She didn't have to sprint and drive forward, juggle the ball over the rope and back again, have the ball come over her shoulder, it wasn't hit at her point blank and didn't involve insane reactions. She has plenty of time to judge the flight of the ball and a jump puts it in range. At that point it becomes a slightly harder 1 than average one handed catch. Its a chance that I think 50% of professional cricketers as tall as her would make. And frankly, if you read the responses to the video there's probably 50% of people who say the same. Its not "baffling" at all.

DOTA

Is it though? Since when is a one handed jumping catch over someone's head become such an amazing feat for a professional sportsperson? She didn't have to sprint and drive forward, juggle the ball over the rope and back again, have the ball come over her shoulder, it wasn't hit at her point blank and didn't involve insane reactions. She has plenty of time to judge the flight of the ball and a jump puts it in range. At that point it becomes a slightly harder 1 than average one handed catch. Its a chance that I think 50% of professional cricketers as tall as her would make. And frankly, if you read the responses to the video there's probably 50% of people who say the same. Its not "baffling" at all.
Baffling response.

Dan_F

Mate. Did you not see they also tweeted about 50 other clips out of the match? Do you not see a bowler celebrate wildly after a wicket, even though it’s not an amazing feet for a professional sports person to throw a ball accurately.

I bet you also complain that they don’t hit the ball as far as the men or bowl as fast :boring:

slyadams

Baffling response.
Good response, well structured and thought out.

Mate. Did you not see they also tweeted about 50 other clips out of the match? Do you not see a bowler celebrate wildly after a wicket, even though it’s not an amazing feet for a professional sports person to throw a ball accurately.

I bet you also complain that they don’t hit the ball as far as the men or bowl as fast :boring:
Eh? This makes no sense. The on field reaction was over the top but the commentators were even worse.

Also, to accuse me of anything decry or belittle to women’s sport is outrageous. I’m doing the opposite by treating this catch as I would any other, to me this catch was nothing more than “decent”, it doesn’t deserve the hyperbole being given to it.

Dan_F

Good response, well structured and thought out.

Eh? This makes no sense. The on field reaction was over the top but the commentators were even worse.

Also, to accuse me of anything decry or belittle to women’s sport is outrageous. I’m doing the opposite by treating this catch as I would any other, to me this catch was nothing more than “decent”, it doesn’t deserve the hyperbole being given to it.
Nah. You’re just purposely being a knob. Any catch where you have to jump and have your hand fully stretched is difficult. Given the match situation, it was also a huge catch as Australia were building momentum.

Go focus on Root and Bairstow being unable to catch stuff at chest height if you want to be negative.

DOTA

Lotta sexists coming out the woodwork here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a great catch, you'd get the same reaction if Joe Root does that next weekend... true half of that will be because he's actually taken a catch... but still.

Anyway, I'm having Ashes withdrawl today... Wednesday feels like ages away.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
It's a great catch, you'd get the same reaction if Joe Root does that next weekend... true half of that will be because he's actually taken a catch... but still.

Anyway, I'm having Ashes withdrawl today... Wednesday feels like ages away.
i’ll gladly take bairstow making a simple catch off a regulation edge.

slyadams

Nah. You’re just purposely being a knob. Any catch where you have to jump and have your hand fully stretched is difficult. Given the match situation, it was also a huge catch as Australia were building momentum.

Go focus on Root and Bairstow being unable to catch stuff at chest height if you want to be negative.
Someone who disagrees with you must be a knob and you must resort to personal insults. Or perhaps people have, and are allowed to have, different opinions to you. You can reply or not, I don't care, accusations of sexism and then calling someone a knob because they commented on a catch is still disgusting behaviour.

Dan_F

Someone who disagrees with you must be a knob and you must resort to personal insults. Or perhaps people have, and are allowed to have, different opinions to you. You can reply or not, I don't care, accusations of sexism and then calling someone a knob because they commented on a catch is still disgusting behaviour.
Disgusting behaviour :lol: I do hope you recover from such a massive insult.

You’re welcome to your opinion. At least it’s on here and not under a social media post that the players will see. I’ll trust what I saw with my own eyes, having played the game myself. Along with all the players on pitch and former players commentating. I think it was a tough catch (not an absolute top top one, but I don’t think anyone ever claimed it was?) and worth a big celebration and tweeting out on social media.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Disgusting behaviour :lol: I do hope you recover from such a massive insult.

You’re welcome to your opinion. At least it’s on here and not under a social media post that the players will see. I’ll trust what I saw with my own eyes, having played the game myself. Along with all the players on pitch and former players commentating. I think it was a tough catch (not an absolute top top one, but I don’t think anyone ever claimed it was?) and worth a big celebration and tweeting out on social media.
Yep, it's an England Twitter account celebrating a good catch that got England out of a rut - it was taken at 69-1 (in 12 overs). There's a lot of relief in that celebration.

Dan_F

Yep, it's an England Twitter account celebrating a good catch that got England out of a rut - it was taken at 69-1 (in 12 overs). There's a lot of relief in that celebration.
England had also dropped several catches in the previous game, and Ecclestone herself had dropped a tough one earlier in the slips.

I can’t fathom that someone would see such a good game and the first take away is, well that catch wasn’t world class.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That Ecclestone catch was amazing, as was the Sciver-Brunt catch whilst running.

Some really good cricket being played at the Woman's ashes, set up for a brilliant finale.

DOTA

Think Sophie's already the best player I've seen for us. Sarah Taylor possibly more talented but in terms of performances Ecclestone has it I think.

LDUred

Watching West Indies vs India right now and it is an absolute borefest. Roach is bowling and no carry whatsoever, just dribbling through to the 'keeper.

You sense that they pump out music between overs so people don't fall asleep.

Last edited:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Watching West Indies vs India right now and it is an absolute borefest. Roach is bowling and no carry whatsoever, just dribbling through to the 'keeper.

You sense that they pump out music between overs so people don't fall asleep.
Agree! Shocking pitch from the bits I’ve saw. This is not what test cricket needs right now. No disrespect to Ashwin mind, the world’s best spinner.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Some interesting quick bowler options for England in the first two games of finals day so far. John Turner for Hampshire and Gus Atkinson for Surrey. Both hitting high 80s. Tudor said Atkinson hit 92mph at one point.

IRN-BRUno

Great result for Somerset yesterday, the lack of a good leg-spin option has always been a problem so the addition of Sodhi made a huge difference. The Overton and Henry bowling partnership has been incredible all tournament and they delivered again.