English cricket thread

Dan_F

My iPhone thinks Sunday will be ok, Met office now looking like total washout. Just put more money on the draw seeing as the bookies still have it at over evens.
Yeah Sunday looks grim now. Maybe we can hope for some wind to blow it over quicker, as Monday has improved.

slyadams

I’m baffled why people think the Aussies can last 2 days batting on this pitch, technically 2 1/2 ish but time will be lost to weather
No thinks they can. People who were calling for the early declaration, like me, were doing it purely because of the weather. There aren't 2 days of play left. We'll be lucky if there's 50 overs of play left. Given that constraint you have to figure out how to take 10 wickets first because you simply cannot win a test match without taking 20 wickets. In theory we could have skittled them for 150 and we had enough runs at lunch. Its not likely, but the point is you have to start playing the probabilities. There's 0% chance of winning without taking those 10 wickets.

Look at the current situation, they're 200 runs behind and 2 down. What if we sacrified 100 runs for 20 more overs. Perhaps right now would be 100 runs behind for 4-5 down and we'd be in a muich stronger position.

Last edited:

Agent Red

Sickener if it washes out the weekend completely
Yeah will be awful if the series ends up being decided that way. England have finally been at their best and losing two full days is terrible luck. Plus the whole series has been tight enough that a showdown at the Oval feels right.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah will be awful if the series ends up being decided that way. England have finally been at their best and losing two full days is terrible luck. Plus the whole series has been tight enough that a showdown at the Oval feels right.
The series will still be alive at 2-1. Plus there will be WTC points on offer.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
My iPhone thinks Sunday will be ok, Met office now looking like total washout. Just put more money on the draw seeing as the bookies still have it at over evens.
Yeah I’ve lumped on the draw, bit of a win win, happy with the cash or an England victory

Agent Red

Yeah I’ve lumped on the draw, bit of a win win, happy with the cash or an England victory
Yeah I’ve lumped on too. Desperate for the win but a total washout seems quite likely so may as well get value from it.

iKnowNothing

This is precisely why I was thinking yesterday that England will look to bat just once. With this lead, the pressure will be on the Aussies to try and bat time, hoping the rain will help them.
This is England’s best opportunity to knock the Aussies over.