English cricket thread

Balljy

Radar on Met Office is suggesting a window between 12 - 15:30 but as you say there’s been so much rain it’s going to take a while to mop up. Maybe an hour and a half if we’re lucky.
They'll probably take an hour to mop it up, have lunch just when they've finished doing that and then a quick few overs before drinks break and rain.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Drainage probably going to prevent another ball being bowled.

There must be a better solution than just leaving the entire outfield exposed when it rains like this during a match.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

There must be a better solution than just leaving the entire outfield exposed when it rains like this during a match.
Massive gazebo. Seriously though, Sri Lanka play through monsoon season I can’t believe we haven’t copied how they cover grounds and then get about 100 people to mop up. It’s not like the public wouldn’t be willing to help out right now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Sri Lanka cover the whole ground when it rains, can't fathom why other stadiums don't do the same.

Fully Fledged

Those 40 overs were when it was fabulous for batting. Australia could be sitting with a 200 run lead and still be 6 down and England with no time to bat again. They tried to take it down to a 3 innings match, shorten the game and wanted Australia to be batting in between rain sessions, stop start, with cloud cover, when it's difficult, not themselves.

England are the most aggressive team in the world atm and didn't declare. Think about that for a second.
Totally agree. If this ends up a draw, it's on the weather not England's approach to the match. I wouldn't want to be chasing 150/200 on a day 5 pitch with interruptions for rain.

ArmchairCritic

There’s a bit of a discrepancy between the live radar and forecasted radar, if the weather continues to come from the west I’m quite optimistic. If it starts to come up from the south we’re in trouble.

arnie_ni

There must be a reason for it surely? It's common sense to cover it all, they can't be that silly.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There must be a reason for it surely? It's common sense to cover it all, they can't be that silly.
It's presumably down to where the water would go if not into the ground. Could cause flooding elsewhere in the ground. But there must be a better Inbetween. Even if its like a rotatory cover for when the rain is coming down, something that can cover the worst effected parts of the pitch. I dunno, I'm clutching.

Dan_F

There’s a bit of a discrepancy between the live radar and forecasted radar, if the weather continues to come from the west I’m quite optimistic. If it starts to come up from the south we’re in trouble.
It does seem to suggest a lovely gap from 12-4. Hopefully they think about taking an early lunch from around midday and maybe get out there between 1 or 2?

Balljy

Latest met office model shows the rain tomorrow clearing mid afternoon? Fingers crossed for that aswell as some play today.
Yeah, on the BBC live chat the weather forecaster there has said tomorrow afternoon there's likely to be some play. They said early afternoon with some possible interruptions.

Dan_F

Do you know the worst thing about all this. I’ve booked a weekend away next week as it’s the missus birthday. That’s going to be a nightmare isn’t it. Booked it a few months ago and didn’t realise.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah, on the BBC live chat the weather forecaster there has said tomorrow afternoon there's likely to be some play. They said early afternoon with some possible interruptions.
Sunday forecast has improved quite a bit since yesterday evening, hopefully it keeps trending the same way.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Coward, get out there and bat :lol: :lol:

If it goes to a decider, do you fancy it?
If it's 2-2 heading to the Oval, I'd expect England to go on and win the series. The Bledisloe Cup and the Ashes could be gone on the same weekend. That's something to look forward to :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Met Office predicting only a 20% chance of rain between 1 pm and 4 pm. might get 30-40 overs in there.
Weather.com not quite as optimistic. I don't see how there's any play today, certainly would be shocked if they manage more than 10 overs. Just look at the water on the covers. There will be wet patches everywhere. From it stops raining it will probably take an hour and a half to get the ground ready. And there will be outbreaks throughout to halt the progress.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ll be surprised if more than 10 overs are bowled over the next two days.

Cloud7

So frustrating that in 2023 a sport can still be so vulnerable to the weather.

It would be a damn shame for this series to be decided because of rain. This has been one of the most entertaining series for a long time, and it deserves a proper conclusion, be it an England win and the fifth test as the decider or an Aus win and a proper retention. What makes it even more annoying is that this match looked set for an England win so the fifth test would have been really good.

If it gets scuppered by the rain it will feel like we’ve been robbed of a great spectacle.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sri Lanka cover the whole ground when it rains, can't fathom why other stadiums don't do the same.
SL have hundreds of kids as part of the 'ground staff' running around with the covers, sponges and buckets. They're probably doing it for peanuts. Not sure you'd get away with that kind of labour in these parts of the world.

ArmchairCritic

I can't see any window for any significant play.
The radar is weird, live one is suggesting the weather keeps coming from the West, there’s one or two fringe showers but a lot of dry weather coming across. The forecast radar is different and suggesting the rain just lingers over.

ArmchairCritic

SL have hundreds of kids as part of the 'ground staff' running around with the covers, sponges and buckets. They're probably doing it for peanuts. Not sure you'd get away with that kind of labour in these parts of the world.
Mate I’m on my way with bucket and sponge as we speak.

the_cliff

How many overs do you reckon we'll need to finish it off ?

Due to the weather and how behind they are the Aussie's are going to come out very defensive, they know their best bet is hanging on for the draw, they aren't going to take too many chances.

They should always have a reserve day in case of this, I get slowing down the over rate is part of test tactics as is speeding it up but to miss 2 full days of a test is ridiculous, especially when Monday is dry all day.

ArmchairCritic

How many overs do you reckon we'll need to finish it off ?

Due to the weather and how behind they are the Aussie's are going to come out very defensive, they know their best bet is hanging on for the draw, they aren't going to take too many chances.
40 will do it.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Why is there nothing that can be driven around with big old sponge rollers on it collecting the water in a tank or with a giant squeegee and vacuum or something? Can't be that hard.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Cricket dealing with rain in this country - where it rains all the feckin' time - is an absolute shambles.

2 hours to get the pitch ready....

Dan_F

Radar looks worse now after 2pm. Can’t see how we get any play today.

Balljy

There's a planned inspection at 2pm. The pictures in the areas next to the covers look pretty awful though, petty much a lake in places.

ArmchairCritic

There's a planned inspection at 2pm. The pictures in the areas next to the covers look pretty awful though, petty much a lake in places.

There was a poster live tweeting them removing the covers and apparently they dropped a corner here :lol:

ArmchairCritic

All the county games are getting called off early. They will do amazing to mop up and get back out, there’s a band of showers coming overs Wales so I reckon they might get it into a state fit for play only for it rain again.