English cricket thread

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
These two look good. You feel like one wicket could bring two or three, getting the one however....

Dan_F

For all those that thought we could declare 50 ahead, and just roll Australia over and only leaving us 50 or 60 to chase. That was never going to happen.
No one was asking to declare 50 ahead, but this is showing we may have needed more overs to take 10 wickets.

Surprising how little the ball is doing. Probably going to need to get Moeen in soon to get through some new overs and get closer to the new ball.

Fully Fledged

No one was asking to declare 50 ahead, but this is showing we may have needed more overs to take 10 wickets.

Surprising how little the ball is doing. Probably going to need to get Moeen in soon to get through some new overs and get closer to the new ball.
Yes they were.

arnie_ni

There was loads saying to declare on Thursday evening once root and Crawley got out

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I know England batted brilliantly, but this is showing the gulf in class between bowling units IMO. I don't think the Aussies would have allowed England to get to this point if rolls were reversed.

Dan_F

There was loads saying to declare on Thursday evening once root and Crawley got out
I remember the argument being that Brooks and Stokes needed go mental for an hour and then declare. Not when Root and Crawley got out.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
there’s a reason nearly every single recognised batsman got a start, and most of them got at least 50. the pitch is a 5 dayer. thinking an early declaration all of a sudden changes that was always madness.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I know England batted brilliantly, but this is showing the gulf in class between bowling units IMO. I don't think the Aussies would have allowed England to get to this point if rolls were reversed.
I’d have agreed at the start of the series. Not sure on the evidence of this test, England did superbly to get 14 wickets. Balls gone soft and it’s tricky.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The Aussie bowling has had its moment but largely been a let down tbh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I know. It's a sport that doesn't deserve it's fans. They sit and wait for a break in the rain then say the light isn't good enough. What's wrong with the flood lights.
17 overs in 90 minutes. It's an absolute slap in the face to fans who have waited around all day to watch some cricket.

Over 5 minutes per over.

Abraxas

Cricket really lets itself down with this nonsense. Proper soft with light and how long it takes them to get back on after rain breaks. It's terrible optics for the viewing public when you have a ground with floodlights and then you get this carry on.

Umpires say it's being "fair to both teams" but that's bullshite, the conditions in a test match are dynamic anyway. What's the difference with light compared to the pitch and overhead conditions? No difference at all, just a totally arbitrary bit of thinking from the ICC that lets the game down.

In my opinion they shouldn't ever be going off for light, I don't care if you have to get a white ball out.

ArmchairCritic

17 overs in 90 minutes. It's an absolute slap in the face to fans who have waited around all day to watch some cricket.

Over 5 minutes per over.
This was missed in the declaration chat last night, they’ve lost 27 overs of cricket through the first 3 days which is an entire session. It’s not just Australia, who have obviously dragged their feet but England could have pushed a bit harder too in terms of pace.

Dan_F

Over 5 minutes per over.
Bizarre. Root got through his over quick, but Moeen didn’t seem arsed. You’d think they’d be running back to their mark.

Agent Red

This test has shown a lot of the most frustrating things about test cricket. No ability to extend the days when the weather is good, no in game punishment for slow over rate, slow starts after the rain clears, no reserve day option available and now bad light. At least some of these things could surely be improved to make it a better experience for fans.

Cloud7

there’s a reason nearly every single recognised batsman got a start, and most of them got at least 50. the pitch is a 5 dayer. thinking an early declaration all of a sudden changes that was always madness.
It's so weird seeing you making serious posts :lol: I've largely been agreeing with them as well.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Clever batting from Marnus. Eating into our lead as we have to bowl the spinners.

Fully Fledged

There is, all the players on the bowling side get fined and you're deducted WTC points.
Yeah but people don't really care about it. It needs to be more impactful on the current match. Maybe for every over missed you add the average scored +10% in that hour to the total.

IRN-BRUno

Desperately need a wicket to make this session worthwhile, all they've done is make it almost certain they'll have to bat again. Probably with Australia bowling 3 overs an hour!

Abraxas

Going to be hard to impact the session when the umpires handicap you. Ideally you'd want to get your striker bowler (Wood) on. And Woakes who has done the damage.

Balljy

Over 5 minutes per over.
It's getting worse across test cricket as well. One simple change they could make is to allow batting teams to carry on past close with the bowling team unable to do anything about it if they've bowled below rate. You could also force them to bowl slower bowlers for that period dependent on light. There's situations where that would suit the batting team like the first day of this test.

TheGame

It's getting worse across test cricket as well. One simple change they could make is to allow batting teams to carry on past close with the bowling team unable to do anything about it if they've bowled below rate. You could also force them to bowl slower bowlers for that period dependent on light. There's situations where that would suit the batting team like the first day of this test.
They should start earlier as well at the beginning of the day.

ArmchairCritic

43 off these 7 overs of spin enforced by the light has probably killed the innings win window. Best case scenario England bungle 1 here, get a window with the new ball tomorrow knock them over and chase <70-80.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Umpires have spoilt it. No fast bowlers because it's a bit grey? feck off