English cricket thread

Balljy

Nice one Root.

Again, the umpires. It's not as if it's even a fast bowler to make it a difficult spot with the pace.

Boycott

I know England batted brilliantly, but this is showing the gulf in class between bowling units IMO. I don't think the Aussies would have allowed England to get to this point if rolls were reversed.
I disagree. The Australian bowling has looked pretty ordinary in my view in this series. The last test when Bairstow chopped onto the stumps with about 70 runs to defend they let Chris Woakes get a quick and risk free 20 runs to swing the momentum back while Brooks was at the other end.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Yeah it's stupid.

They need to change the rules around Lunch and Tea anyways - shouldn't be able to go for it until you've bowled at least 30 overs in the session.
They don’t even drink tea, just a glorified extended drinks break.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You can't just not take tea - they've already revised the session times.

ArmchairCritic

43 off these 7 overs of spin enforced by the light has probably killed the innings win window. Best case scenario England bungle 1 here, get a window with the new ball tomorrow knock them over and chase <70-80.
Next 6 overs of spin have gone for 5 runs and England are 9 overs away from the new ball.

Dan_F

Ah big covers going on now. Fantastic to get the big wicket ahead of tomorrow though.

ArmchairCritic

It’s raining and now the Met Office forecast says no rain until after 2000, useless.

IRN-BRUno

Assuming there's some play tomorrow then obviously the new ball will be crucial. I still think they can't afford to bat again, even if they have the time it's likely to be similar conditions to this and Aus will just say they want to bowl pace.

Balljy

The worst thing that's happened today is that the umpires have a reading when light will be offered. If England bat again they'll be constantly asking for play to be stopped and refusing to stop their quicks from bowling.

Also an umpire saying it's too dark whilst wearing sunglasses :lol:

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

The worst thing that's happened today is that the umpires have a reading when light will be offered. If England bat again they'll be constantly asking for play to be stopped and refusing to stop their quicks from bowling.

Also an umpire saying it's too dark whilst wearing sunglasses :lol:
Used to be that you offer the bats the light, in which case England would bat on, but now it’s the umpire’s, wearing sunglasses, call. So many sub optimal things about the game that they just don’t bother to fix.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Used to be that you offer the bats the light, in which case England would bat on, but now it’s the umpires, wearing sunglasses, call. So many sub optimal things about the game that they just don’t bother to fix.
That was hardly a good rule. Australia would only be 4 down if they still applied that.

Think pink ball is the only solution.

ArmchairCritic

That was hardly a good rule. Australia would only be 4 down if they still applied that.

Think pink ball is the only solution.
Oh yeah, I agree, was just showing how they’ve thought about it but not enough to implement something actually decent. The fact that they push the weather much more when they play shorter formats show how stupid it is.

Abraxas

Ridiculous situation awaits us tomorrow. Imagine light starts to dim and England want to knock runs off then Australia put their quicks on, forces the players off. Ludicrous.

Not the umps fault, it's the ICC. They'd get hauled in front of a committee if they didn't apply the laws.

Should absolutely be playing days of cricket out with whatever ball and lights are required to get a full day of play. Isn't good enough for spectators or paying media. I'd have them playing in snow and hail personally but that might be going a bit far.

Agent Red

Given we have day/night tests now there must be a better way to handle bad light than this. Switching to a white or pink ball is preferable to no play at all, or spin only.

dpansheth

how's weather looking tomorrow? small window if we can get 2 hours of play. very small but series on the line .

Djemba-Djemba

Think they'll escape with a draw and retain the ashes , which is very annoying.

Been a great performance by England though. Hopefully they can draw the series at the Oval.