Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

They have made a right hash of this and broken their relationship with Benfica.

Absolutely NOT how you do business
So you are saying there is chance if we can finish in top 4 that others can get involved this summer

Bojan Djordjic

Yeah, I'm not disputing how they work. Release clauses are rarely paid at the level they were set for Enzo either, so I think they did what you said in your last sentence. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance, I'll pay over the odds now (same value as your release clause) just not up front.

Demanding the full 120m, up front, is hardly a reasonable stance - of course they don't have any reason to sell now, but he's gone in the summer anyway. For 6 months more of a player they will get less for in the summer, seems strange.
I can see from a footballing perspective why Benfica might want to hold their ground. They currently have their own version of the Ajax team decimated by United and Bayern last season. Some potentially very good players and even possibly some future greats sprinkled in the side now and it is likely to be torn apart in the summer. Currently unbeaten in the Champions League so they may decide that although Enzo's hype may not ever be higher than after he's won a world cup, it may be worth holding on to him to see what they can achieve as a unit at the risk of selling him for marginally (or significantly) less in the summer. He's a free hit for Benfica. Cost them peanuts so either way they'll make a huge mark up.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They have made a right hash of this and broken their relationship with Benfica.

Absolutely NOT how you do business
Isn't the story him saying Enzo could have a more prestigious and better run club even before Chelsea tried to do them over though?

romufc

Chelsea fluffing the deal this January could be good news for us.

We need to get our owners sorted asap.

There are various holes in our team, another solid midfielder is required in the next window, if not 2. Enzo would be good for 5/6 years.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Was there even a 'battle' on who is/was the more incompetent at finalizing transfer between our clubs? :lol:
Anything that gives the cafe moaners something to get their teeth into is always a hot topic. You'd get 20 pages out of 'are our pies the worst in the country, and who is responsible?'

croadyman

Chelsea fluffing the deal this January could be good news for us.

We need to get our owners sorted asap.

There are various holes in our team, another solid midfielder is required in the next window, if not 2. Enzo would be good for 5/6 years.
Would still take a Tielemans on a free in the summer because give us another option

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I can see from a footballing perspective why Benfica might want to hold their ground. They currently have their own version of the Ajax team decimated by United and Bayern last season. Some potentially very good players and even possibly some future greats sprinkled in the side now and it is likely to be torn apart in the summer. Currently unbeaten in the Champions League so they may decide that although Enzo's hype may not ever be higher than after he's won a world cup, it may be worth holding on to him to see what they can achieve as a unit at the risk of selling him for marginally (or significantly) less in the summer. He's a free hit for Benfica. Cost them peanuts so either way they'll make a huge mark up.
I do see that side as well, but as you said, it cost them peanuts and he's only been there 6 months. Is keeping him for the next CL round really going to make a huge difference? He could easily be not as effective after all this or get a big injury.

I think we need to remember, even in installments, that would be the most expensive transfer in the history of the premiership. It's hardly "disrespectful" from Chelsea and it's odd that people are on Benfica's side with this one.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still think we are prioritising Bellingham or FDJ over Enzo.
With Casemiro and Eriksen as the main pieces of our midfield I actually prefer Bellingham. His high energy should be a great fit alongside the players we already have. I like what Fernandez does very well but at the same time he seems to lack some bite and athleticism.

croadyman

With Casemiro and Eriksen as the main pieces of our midfield I actually prefer Bellingham. His high energy should be a great fit alongside the players we already have. I like what Fernandez does very well but at the same time he seems to lack some bite and athleticism.
Very good point but also intrigued to see if Erik could get the Ajax version of FDJ out of him

Dr. StrangeHate

I want Felix or Diallo to replace or rotate with Fernandez.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I think we need to remember, even in installments, that would be the most expensive transfer in the history of the premiership. It's hardly "disrespectful" from Chelsea and it's odd that people are on Benfica's side with this one
Benfica is pissed because Chelsea turned the players head, said they will pay full release clause, or in that region, only to return once they unsettled the player with a lesser offer.

Hard to not side with Benfica, even if it wasn't Chelsea on the other side. That's (if what Benfica say is true and is pretty much confirmed by Romano) not how you conduct transfer business. It's pretty shit way actually.

romufc

Benfica is pissed because Chelsea turned the players head, said they will pay full release clause, or in that region, only to return once they unsettled the player with a lesser offer.

Hard to not side with Benfica, even if it wasn't Chelsea on the other side. That's (if what Benfica say is true and is pretty much confirmed by Romano) not how you conduct transfer business. It's pretty shit way actually.
Alot of clubs do this though, turn the players head to drive down the price. Unfortunately, some clubs dont care, they will stick to their guns, Chelsea were hoping Benfica would buckle.

Benfica dont have a reason to at the moment, they sold Nunez for 80m so they are not cash strapped.

Jim Beam

Alot of clubs do this though, turn the players head to drive down the price. Unfortunately, some clubs dont care, they will stick to their guns, Chelsea were hoping Benfica would buckle.
They do, it's pretty common. However, you also don't claim at the start of the negotiations that you will pay the full fee only to come back with 35 million€ less after tapping a player. Also, you don't often piss the other club so much that they directly call you out in the press.

But hey, no complaints from me. Splendid job.

romufc

They do, it's pretty common. However, you also don't claim at the start of the negotiations that you will pay the full fee only to come back with 35 million€ less after tapping a player. Also, you don't often piss the other club so much that they directly call you out in the press.

But hey, no complaints from me. Splendid job.
yep agreed, in that way its clear. Todd Boehly has been like this in the summer too, his transfer dealings have been questionable.

Regardless, I still think if they put the money on the table, Benfica will sell anyway. It just depends how desperate Chelsea are.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

It's what every club does. We did it with Antony, Liverpool with VVD, Barca are trying to do it with free transfers :lol: . From what I gathered here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/enzo-fernández.469871/post-29942404 in this run down from @mazhar13, was that they would pay more than the release, just not upfront - Benfica are insisting on more upfront, so Chelsea are offering what they can. Chelsea know they're not favourites in the summer, so they're trying to pay a premium now, (albeit not upfront), but it's still the monetary equivalent of the clause.

Jim Beam

It's what every club does. We did it with Antony, Liverpool with VVD, Barca are trying to do it with free transfers :lol: . From what I gathered here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/enzo-fernández.469871/post-29942404 in this run down from @mazhar13, was that they would pay more than the release, just not upfront - Benfica are insisting on more upfront, so Chelsea are offering what they can. Chelsea know they're not favourites in the summer, so they're trying to pay a premium now, (albeit not upfront), but it's still the monetary equivalent of the clause.
I don't see much evidence that they were ready to pay more than the release clause at any point (less upfront or not). Even in that breakdown it mentions that Chelsea were just considering the option, but in the end never commited to such offer and sticked with one that is way bellow Benfica valuation. If they ever made such formal offer I would agree with you, but that's not the case here.

This came out yesterday..

Looking at furious reports from Benfica today it is obvious they just never got close to their valuation (so far). There will be few clubs who will offer close to, or even above, those 85 million in the summer I assume.

This wasn't the case with Antony and VVD. On the contrary, selling clubs got what they wanted and more.

Clubs often contact the player and try to turn their heads. However, Chelsea look especially aggressive in recent times (under Boehly). Cucurella, Fofana, now Enzo... In Cucurella and Fofana case they most likely went way above their transfer value. Let's see if they will do the same here in the end. So far, it looks like they might feck up the most important one.

footballbite

Enzo should be holding out until the summer.
Yes this quote from the Benfica president sounded sensible:

"Rui Costa argued to Enzo Fernandez that Chelsea was the wrong move for a player who had just won the World Cup and that “More prestigious and better organised clubs” would present themself by the summer.
@DuncanCastles "

It's a shame Nkunku also didn't wait (and got injured) - he'd have made sense as a fluid forward option for Utd and ten Hag.

Jim Beam

#Chelsea had been monitoring Enzo Fernández since he joined #Benfica. Just after the World Cup, Chelsea had their first meeting with Benfica who made it clear to Chelsea: they pay the €120million clause, that had to be in a single payment (TyC Sports)

#Chelsea made a verbal counter-offer to #Benfica: they stated they were willing to put up €127m but through a payment in several installments. After deliberating for several days & following Enzo's request to leave, President Rui Costa opened the doors to negotiate. (TyC Sports)

Negotiations began days before the New Year & were halted for the holidays without an agreement yet. #Chelsea didn't even go so far as to arrange Enzo's contract because they knew that this was not going to be a problem and could easily improve his salary in #Benfica (TyC Sports)

On Monday, January 2, #Chelsea and #Benfica resumed dialogue: Benfica was waiting for the structure of a €127m complex operation to be put together - how much was going to be in a first payment, installment terms and how much money would be in objectives. (TyC Sports)

However, #Chelsea verbally changed the conditions of the deal and #Benfica issued an ultimatum: everything had to be resolved in 48 hours. Both on Tuesday the 3rd and Wednesday the 4th, they met in person in long meetings that even ended at dawn in Europe. (TyC Sports)

Yesterday, #Chelsea with negotiations led by Christopher Vivell & everything monitored by owner Todd Boehly, informally made a new proposal to #Benfica: €90million to be paid in 4 installments and the possibility that there are players included. Benfica were furious (TyC Sports)

#Benfica returned to the initial position of termination clause or nothing & said that the decision was set in stone. Benfica ended the meeting. The operation is dead today unless #Chelsea revise their plans and pay the exit clause, which they are unwilling to spend (TyC Sports)

One side is going to cave. He will move this month
As things stand, release clause or no player.

Strootman's Finger

"Rui Costa argued to Enzo Fernandez that Chelsea was the wrong move for a player who had just won the World Cup and that “More prestigious and better organised clubs” would present themself by the summer.
@DuncanCastles "

It's a shame Nkunku also didn't wait (and got injured) - he'd have made sense as a fluid forward option for Utd and ten Hag.
He was a Rangnick player, Chelsea or no Chelsea we would never sign him because they wouldn't want to admit Ralf was right about something.

RuudTom83

Seems every top team is getting criticised for not buying <insert name> for 100million or not spending 200million every transfer window...its a joke really, not every player is worth mega millions, and most clubs don't even generate that much revenue to throw around the cash every 6 months in the first place.

Fans need to be realistic, Enzo had a few good games at the world cup...Chelsea are better off saving there millions IMO and giving Potter some time to actually coach the players he has already.

Jim Beam

I think Boehly et al are mental enough to just pay it in a panic later in the window.
Definitely don't disagree with that. Thing is.. not sure what would that mean for Chelsea financially going forward. It's 120 million all upfront. I mean, Boehly considered paying more than that in installments so I assume it isn't that straightforward.

IFC 1905

Seems every top team is getting criticised for not buying <insert name> for 100million or not spending 200million every transfer window...its a joke really, not every player is worth mega millions, and most clubs don't even generate that much revenue to throw around the cash every 6 months in the first place.

Fans need to be realistic, Enzo had a few good games at the world cup...Chelsea are better off saving there millions IMO and giving Potter some time to actually coach the players he has already.
That's just not realistic.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

@DuncanCastles "

I wonder which more prestigious and better organized clubs will prepare to pay over 100m for his service in summer. Not Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and City for sure. Arsenal(no money) and atm Newcastle are not more prestigious, so only Man Utd (better organized?) and PSG left. Every promising player now cost over 100m to EPL clubs. EPL clubs must be run by morons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.