Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Overall, here's what I think happened based on all of the updates/info over the past two weeks:
  • Initially, a bunch of clubs expressed their interest on Enzo Fernández to Jorge Mendes.
    • United looked the most keen out of all clubs.
    • None of the interest was over a deal during the winter.
    • My guess: Jorge Mendes was representing Benfica and looking for potential Enzo buyers.
  • Chelsea then submitted their first formal offer (€85m) to commence talks with Benfica.
  • Enzo was keen on joining Chelsea after his camp held talks with Chelsea.
    • The deal then became contingent on Chelsea and Benfica coming to an agreement.
  • Chelsea were open to two options:
    • Pay less than the release clause but pay a large amount up front.
    • Pay more than the release with less of it up front.
  • Benfica didn't outright reject the 2nd option hence the encouraging reports by various reliable journalists.
    • Don't be surprised if Jorge Mendes was pushing Benfica to accept that 2nd option even if it didn't have as much up front.
  • Eventually, Benfica came back and demanded more up front on the 2nd option hence the continuing negotiations.
  • Chelsea decided not to pay more up front, which is why this deal is now collapsing.
Unless Chelsea changes their mind and decides to pay more up front, expect Enzo to be sold in the summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Overall, here's what I think happened based on all of the updates/info over the past two weeks:
  • Initially, a bunch of clubs expressed their interest on Enzo Fernández to Jorge Mendes.
    • My guess: Jorge Mendes was representing Benfica and looking for potential Enzo buyers.
  • Chelsea then submitted their first formal offer (€85m) to commence talks with Benfica.
    • The deal then became contingent on Chelsea and Benfica coming to an agreement.
  • Benfica didn't outright reject the 2nd option hence the encouraging reports by various reliable journalists.
    • Don't be surprised if Jorge Mendes was pushing Benfica to accept that 2nd option even if it didn't have as much up front.
  • Eventually, Benfica came back and demanded more up front on the 2nd option hence the continuing negotiations.
  • Chelsea decided not to pay more up front, which is why this deal is now collapsing.
Unless Chelsea changes their mind and decides to pay more up front, expect Enzo to be sold in the summer.
Thanks for the breakdown mate.

Mainoldo

Thanks Fabrizio. ;)

We really need to talk about the idiocy of Todd Boehly’s transfer strategy and relationship with the media.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Are we just going to rewrite history now? Pretty much every summer you get your business done quick and early without much fuss.
But that's not true though is it? The only time since the turn of the 10's we wrapped our business up early was 2014.

2010 Ramires wasn't done until after the start of the season, 2011 we didn't make a signing to bolster the first team (Mata) until after the second game of the season, likewise 2015 (Pedro), 2012 while we got Hazard early Azpi wasn't done until late August, 2013 Willian and Eto'o were left till late the latter signed as an emergency after we spent the whole summer chasing our tail trying to get Rooney, 2016 we started the season without the correct profile of players for Conte's 3 at the back and panic brought Luiz and Alonso on deadline day, 2018 we only signed Jorginho right up until close to the start eventually getting Kepa and Kova, 2020 we didn't get Chilwell, Silva and Mendy (three of our absolute most crucial players that season) until after the start of the season and 2021 we didn't make our first signing until after our first game. I left out 2017 as I'd be here all night.

It's a complete myth we were some sort of well run machine in the transfer market.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It’s simple, he’s available at a price. Whoever pays it gets him.

People saying get him In the summer.. does he come here once every top club in Europe goes for him? It’s not impossible but it’s difficult.
Real Madrid is getting Bellingham. PSG are loaded with players, won't necessarily stop them but I don't think so. City haven't shown any interest nor do they need to really. Arsenal can't afford that. It'll be between United and Liverpool, and Liverpool is apparently going for Matheus Nunes at 44m or so (which we should be all over, but anyway). Enzo will be pricier then they tend to go, and I genuinely think we'll be in a great position to get him.

mu4c_20le

But that's not true though is it? The only time since the turn of the 10's we wrapped our business up early was 2014.

2010 Ramires wasn't done until after the start of the season, 2011 we didn't make a signing to bolster the first team (Mata) until after the second game of the season, likewise 2015 (Pedro), 2012 while we got Hazard early Azpi wasn't done until late August, 2013 Willian and Eto'o were left till late the latter signed as an emergency after we spent the whole summer chasing our tail trying to get Rooney, 2016 we started the season without the correct profile of players for Conte's 3 at the back and panic brought Luiz and Alonso on deadline day, 2018 we only signed Jorginho right up until close to the start eventually getting Kepa and Kova, 2020 we didn't get Chilwell, Silva and Mendy (three of our absolute most crucial players that season) until after the start of the season and 2021 we didn't make our first signing until after our first game. I left out 2017 as I'd be here all night.

It's a complete myth we were some sort of well run machine in the transfer market.
Another year or two without trophies and you guys will be telling us you were never that good and can only fluke a CL every decade or so :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Another year or two without trophies and you guys will be telling us you were never that good and can only fluke a CL every decade or so :lol:
If you're that adamant I'm wrong then you'll have no trouble going through all the examples I've given (or at the very least a select few) and explaining why.

mu4c_20le

If you're that adamant I'm wrong then you'll have no trouble going through all the examples I've given (or at the very least a select few) and explaining why.
Werner and Ziyech were completed before the transfer window opened in 2020. Of course not every deal is going to be that easy or smooth, but when you know what targets you want, usually you get the deal done early to head off competition.

SAFMUTD

Do you have proof of that? When I looked it up, the first person to mention that fee was César Luis Merlo, and the first highly reliable journalist to mention it was Gianluca di Marzio. Romano never mentioned that fee. The only fee he talked about was the €120m release clause that Benfica kept insisting on for a surefire deal.
I was sure I saw it in his twitter, right now looking for it to answer you I can't find a thing. I dont know if he delete it or if I read it elsewhere and thought it was him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You mean in summer he will go for less?
Yeah even judging by Rui costas comments, they just didn't want to sell yet, they think Chelsea isn't the right move for him, plus they are going for their title. It's fair enough.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Most of the posters on here go absolutely hysterical about transfers. We always take too long, embarrass ourselves, miss our targets, pay too much, and most importantly are a laughing stock compared to our brilliantly run rivals. This phenomenon correlates most closely with proximity to the transfer deadline, announcement of a rivals transfer business, or a run of poor form. One thing it rarely correlated with, are actual facts.

So thank you for injecting a modicum of realism into the equation. It will be immediately discarded however, admist a barrage of hyperbole.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
See? Even your big spending club doesn't think he's worth that ridiculous fee.

sepulturite

Do you have proof of that? When I looked it up, the first person to mention that fee was César Luis Merlo, and the first highly reliable journalist to mention it was Gianluca di Marzio. Romano never mentioned that fee. The only fee he talked about was the €120m release clause that Benfica kept insisting on for a surefire deal.
Of course he has no proof, some posters just love shitting on Romano for some weird reason.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Are we just going to rewrite history now? Pretty much every summer you get your business done quick and early without much fuss.
Or ManUtd fans don't read all the news and focus more on ManUtd news, so deals looks prolonged reading 100s of tweets everyday compared to reading 'officially done' deals of other clubs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Or ManUtd fans don't read all the news and focus more on ManUtd news, so deals looks prolonged reading 100s of tweets everyday compared to reading 'officially done' deals of other clubs.
My mate, an Arsenal fan, was complaining last night that Arsenal taking so long on this Mudryk deal is typical Arsenal and that they wished he was more like Chelsea and United. Chelsea complain about wanting to complete transfers quickly like Liverpool and City :lol:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
they'll compromise somehow. Or player will engineer it....

A player potentally involved is being mooted by A Bola, Ziyech. Enzo and Chelsea is all done

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
My mate, an Arsenal fan, was complaining last night that Arsenal taking so long on this Mudryk deal is typical Arsenal and that they wished he was more like Chelsea and United. Chelsea complain about wanting to complete transfers quickly like Liverpool and City :lol:
Yeah, every other club completes transfer quickly except the club you support, that's how it is.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty much. It's a bit like the weird idea that Real Madrid got Tchouaméni quickly when they were in official contact with Monaco and Tchouaméni since at least January.

roonster09

Scout
Pretty much. It's a bit like the weird idea that Real Madrid got Tchouaméni quickly when they were in official contact with Monaco and Tchouaméni since at least January.
Exactly.

cyberman

That’s a terrible deal ( if true)
I read that Chelsea new transfer team don’t start work until after January so this is still some owner nonsense?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah. People usually just pay attention to their own clubs more closely and not give a feck about what happens elsewhere apart from official news. This creates an illusion that everyone else works more efficiently but the reality is often very different.

Everyone has deals that get concluded with very little hassle and sagas that seem to take forever.

I read that Chelsea new transfer team don’t start work until after January so this is still some owner nonsense?
Some have started already and the rest will join after the January window.

Christopher Vivell and Paul Winstanley, formely of RB Leipzig and Brighton respectively, are already at work while Joe Shields (Southampton) and Laurence Stewart (Monaco) will join as soon as they finish their contractual obligations to their current clubs. All have already been officially confirmed by Chelsea but not everyone was available to join immediately.

Vivell has been a part of the negotiations for Enzo and I believe Winstanley worked on the deals for Andrey Santos and Datro Fofana.

mu4c_20le

I'd be very surprised if United being better in the transfer market than Chelsea is the general opinion. We're the club that paid 4m over Fellaini's release clause because we missed the deadline. You'll fight a losing battle so don't even try.

ps- I do get the point though, and like i said earlier, not every deal will be simple and straight forward. But it shouldnt be a controversial opinion to say that you were better run under Roman/Marina, particularly in comparison to Boehly/Clearlake.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Chelsea have made a mess of this.
Have they? I don't think it's unreasonable to say they'll pay the clause, but not all up front and if they want money up front, it will be less than that. Ziyech is a good player, but I agree they don't really have any reason to take two players on loan.

No one is going to pay the release clause in the summer and their player obviously wants to move.

redshaw

Always seemed crazy that Chelsea were going all in for 120m Euro, and that we were linked as well at that price. Even in the summer we're not paying 120m for this guy.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I'd be very surprised if United being better in the transfer market than Chelsea is the general opinion. We're the club that paid 4m over Fellaini's release clause because we missed the deadline. You'll fight a losing battle so don't even try.

ps- I do get the point though, and like i said earlier, not every deal will be simple and straight forward. But it shouldnt be a controversial opinion to say that you were better run under Roman/Marina, particularly in comparison to Boehly/Clearlake.
Was there even a 'battle' on who is/was the more incompetent at finalizing transfer between our clubs? :lol:

People just commented on your claim that under the previous regime we always used to do deals 'quietly and efficiently' which simply wasn't true. Still nobody said whether it was better or worse than United's dealings, just that it wasn't always great and maybe you simply weren't paying enough attention.

Generally speaking Marina was quite good at selling players and often less good at buying them. She was always seen as a very strict negotiator so when selling players she held to her own valuations, which quite often resulted in us getting some very good deals but also meant we sometimes had a very tough time getting rid of players when the buying clubs simply refused to meet the asking price and thus leading to the infamous 'loan army' of unwanted senior players who just went from one loan to another when a buyer couldn't be found at a 'good enough' value for Marina's liking.

Marina was also similarly strict when buying players to avoid overpaying which wasn't always appreciated within the opposing clubs and resulted in multiple deals breaking down over the years and having to go for worse alternatives instead, often at inflated prices too. The last bit was especially true around 2017-2018 when our primary targets were the likes of Lukaku, Alex Sandro, Van Dijk, Mahrez and Alisson but after pursuing all those players for a long time and failing we ended up with Morata, Emerson, Kepa etc. instead, not to mention at the same time throwing unnecessary money on dross like Drinkwater, Barkley and Zappacosta as well. Even if some of those completed deals were done 'quietly and efficiently' it was most of all a result of previous failings and a certain level of panic setting in.

I definitely agree that things were maybe run better under our previous regime and compared to some other clubs I could even say things went reasonably well overall, but it's easy to forget they had more than their fair share of failures too and this hyperbole around the new owners just screams of recency bias.

mav_9me

Have they? I don't think it's unreasonable to say they'll pay the clause, but not all up front and if they want money up front, it will be less than that. Ziyech is a good player, but I agree they don't really have any reason to take two players on loan.

No one is going to pay the release clause in the summer and their player obviously wants to move.
If I am not mistaken that's how release clauses work. All up front. If not then you negotiate. So they started by saying they'll pay release clause but then negotiated. Or maybe they wanted to pay the same amount and wanted to negotiate how to pay, during the course of which Benfica said FO.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Rui Costa mudding Chelsea is nice though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If I am not mistaken that's how release clauses work. All up front. If not then you negotiate. So they started by saying they'll pay release clause but then negotiated. Or maybe they wanted to pay the same amount and wanted to negotiate how to pay, during the course of which Benfica said FO.
Yeah, I'm not disputing how they work. Release clauses are rarely paid at the level they were set for Enzo either, so I think they did what you said in your last sentence. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance, I'll pay over the odds now (same value as your release clause) just not up front.

Demanding the full 120m, up front, is hardly a reasonable stance - of course they don't have any reason to sell now, but he's gone in the summer anyway. For 6 months more of a player they will get less for in the summer, seems strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.