Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidraKS

He wasn't tearing the World Cup apart to be valued at 120 million. It's really weird.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I don't really see the downside for Benfica if they just wait until summer. There will be more clubs interested and able to pay the money so they'll likely still get the release clause then.

Doesn't seem like Enzo has gone on strike either so it's now like he'll down tools.

DavyJones

Supports
Chelsea
Not for me either. Galactico’s never worked and this is seeming a bit like that.
How is this a Galacticos thing when this page doesn't seem to rate half the players we brought in and most of them are young upcoming potential WC players not already established superstars? Non of Badiashile, Gusto, D. Fofana, Madueke, Santos and Mudryk are established superstars. Felix is here on loan, Enzo got so much recognition because of the World Cup and it might not even get done.

Mainoldo

I don't really see the downside for Benfica if they just wait until summer. There will be more clubs interested and able to pay the money so they'll likely still get the release clause then.

Doesn't seem like Enzo has gone on strike either so it's now like he'll down tools.
I don’t think anyone but Chelsea will pay the fee.

The fee isn’t the problem it’s the timing. He’s been there for half a friggin season.

You are seeing the same with Caicedo.

Infra-red

This kind of money? I don't think many clubs would believe that a guy who was was purchased for €10m in June 2022 and has done quite well in the Portuguese league for four months, is worth this kind of outlay. The World Cup win with Argentina has seen his value soar - Benfica should grab any €100m+ offer with both hands - they may not get another one.

Infra-red

I don’t think anyone but Chelsea will pay the fee.

The fee isn’t the problem it’s the timing. He’s been there for half a friggin season.

You are seeing the same with Caicedo.
Indeed. The market is currently out of control. A few decent months can increase a player's value by a factor of 10? It is nonsensical. Some of these deals will look very silly is a couple of years' time (I hope Antony is not among them).

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Indeed. The market is currently out of control. A few decent months can increase a player's value by a factor of 10? It is nonsensical. Some of these deals will look very silly is a couple of years' time (I hope Antony is not among them).
He’s a player who just turned 22 a few days ago, is the heartbeat of the World Cup winners, and has apparently been fantastic from his time in Argentina with River up to now. Yes, it’s insane money but nobody seems to have a problem saying Bellingham is worth £120-150m and they’re in a similar age bracket and play a similar position on the pitch.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He’s a player who just turned 22 a few days ago, is the heartbeat of the World Cup winners, and has apparently been fantastic from his time in Argentina with River up to now. Yes, it’s insane money but nobody seems to have a problem saying Bellingham is worth £120-150m and they’re in a similar age bracket and play a similar position on the pitch.
Bellingham has had two/three seasons performing in the Bundesliga and Championship.

If you guys get Enzo, you've spent £600m or so on players in a year and your best defender is still Thiago Silva and best midfielder is still Kovacic.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Bellingham has had two/three seasons performing in the Bundesliga and Championship.

If you guys get Enzo, you've spent £600m or so on players in a year and your best defender is still Thiago Silva and best midfielder is still Kovacic.
Is that supposed to be some sort of gotcha? Thiago Silva is the best CB in the league and Kova is one of the best midfielders in the league and all Chelsea supporters love him.

strandty

120M, no add ons. 5 installments, being the first one in cash. Waiting for Rui Costa's answer.
Benfica supposedly holding out for the buyout being triggered only. Chelsea want to pay the same fee but over a set period so they can put it down on their books over the length of the deal. Triggering the buyout cause means it'll all be put down on this year's accounts and I don't think Chelsea, will have the FFP wiggle room to do that.

BlueHaze

Santos could end up being better than all of them when it’s said and done. I’ve been watching every minute of that tourney I can get satellite on….he looks REALLY good.

Nkunku is an excellent player.

Casadei was considered by some Inter’s top academy prospect. He looks great so far.

If Gusto only played when Reece wasn’t available … that would still be like 22 starts or more a year, ya? We will need someone super talented when Real swoop in just as Reece’s knees are going.

There are hardship allowances on FFP for players that miss extended time for injury, so players like Fofana (super talented) only take up full FFP Space if playing. Otherwise they just cost money.

Same with Noni: if he stays healthy, big talent.

I DO agree with the Sterling and Koulibaliy purchases. I think they got bad advice there. Cucurella will actually be pretty good I think without having to play next to/make up for Jorgihno and KK playing next to him. Just having Badiashile has made a huge difference. He was Brightons player of the year for a reason.

Enzo for sure would be the icing to tie a lot of this together though.
Had completely forgotten about Nkunku. I agree this is another good buy.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

Haha. 'You've spent a ton on (young) defenders but your best defender is still the best centre back in the league'

bosskeano

Either pay the release clause or you don't...seems like a simple message given to them by Benfica

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Not to take part in this dick waving contest on who's the best CB in the league but our best defender is very much Reece James.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Wait, you actually think he’s the best CB in the league?
I do indeed. Nearly 40 years old and still putting in world class, man of the match caliber performances every week.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The way people involved are speaking about the deal are really starting to soften.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Saliba, Varane, Martinez have been the top 3 in the league this season.
Those 3 have all been great, you’re right. But I wouldn’t take any this season over Thiago Silva.

But anyways, sorry for derailing this thread. I won’t argue anymore about this pointless topic.

TheReligion

Abusive
Name one better? VVD has gone off the boil for a while now.
Saliba, Varane, Martinez have been the top 3 in the league this season.
Botman deserves a shout too. Add Thiago Silva and that's probably the top 5 in some order.

Wouldn't say Silva is definitively the best or anything but it's not a ludicrous position.
Silva isn’t the best CB in the league but fair to have him in the conversation.

He’s leaving this summer though I imagine so big boots to fill.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Botman deserves a shout too. Add Thiago Silva and that's probably the top 5 in some order.

Wouldn't say Silva is definitively the best or anything but it's not a ludicrous position.
Fair, wasn't sure who from Newcastle to say as I haven't specifically paid attention to if there was a standout defender or it's just been more their overall team playing well and solidly, haven't watched enough of them to say really. Also tbf to Silva, can't say that I watch Chelsea every week or when I do it's not like I pay attention to him like I do with Varane and Martinez. Still class obviously.

Infra-red

He had a really good World Cup and as we've seen many times before, performing well on that stage will massively inflate a player's value. As we have also seen in the past, subsequent seasons often prove that initial transfer outlay to have been poor value. Bellingham is a more dynamic, better rounded midfielder with much more European football under his belt, but even for him, I'd say £150m is absolutely crazy - I cannot imagine any club paying that, save perhaps for PSG.

In the end, Chelsea's new owners have pledged £1.75bn of investment in players and infrastructure over 10 years, so even if Fernandez does not work out, there will be plenty left in the pot for further reinforcements. In that sense, the risk to Chelsea is low (although I note that just six months in we are getting on for 30% of the way through that pledged 10-year investment). I do think that there is a lot of big, dumb money being thrown around at the moment though, in lieu of decent scouting.

TheReligion

Abusive
Erm they don’t?

Bellingham has far more experience by the way

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting. He could have a big drop off at 39 or continue as he is.
Yeah given he's going to be 39 very soon after next season starts it's a bit of a gamble and the drop-off can be very quick once it starts to set but also I'd say it's a low-risk gamble because even on his current deal he's on a very reasonable salary (£110K/wk) and the extension would probably be on the same terms or less. If he can still contribute like this season it's great news but if not then we'll just have to rely on the others more and Silva will be more of a dressing room and training pitch leader which can still be a very important role, especially in a young-ish squad.

Would love to keep Silva till he retires and have him join the staff in some capacity after that. Him and his family seem to really enjoy life in London so it's a possibility.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair, wasn't sure who from Newcastle to say as I haven't specifically paid attention to if there was a standout defender or it's just been more their overall team playing well and solidly, haven't watched enough of them to say really. Also tbf to Silva, can't say that I watch Chelsea every week or when I do it's not like I pay attention to him like I do with Varane and Martinez. Still class obviously.
Re: Newcastle a bit of both I think but Botman has impressed me quite a bit whenever I've watched - think he's had a huge impact on them.

And weirdly I have been even more impressed by Thiago Silva than in prior years - our system is so chaotic and lacking in control to the point of being non-existent, plus the players around him are far worse. He's really been a one-man rock holding it all together, even if our overall numbers are awful we'd be miles worse off without him. So I'd still have him up there but not definitively the standout in the league or anything like that (unless we're talking specifically about CB quality on the ball where he remains probably the best in the world).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Properly overstating his importance there.

croadyman

The way people involved are speaking about the deal are really starting to soften.
Sure sign they have buckled in the end, ah well will have to hope De Jong has grown a set or Mac Allister fancies joining Lisandro

Status
Not open for further replies.