Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully does just enough to stay there, being a fan favourite. I would be genuinely worried if you went and signed someone like Neves.
If Romeo Lavia wasn't just a figment of our imagination we'd be all set! Caicedo pressing high, Enzo freed up in the attacking 8 role, square pegs in square holes!

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
You're missing a few things.

One plays at the most dysfunctional, chaotic club in the world.

One plays under a manager who has total trust, control and love of all the other players, fans and staff members.

The most relevant thing you are missing about their price difference is that one had a buyout clause.

When they are both in the same team, Mac Allister doesn't outshine Enzo by any significant degree does he?

Mac Allister is a really good player in a really good team. Enzo is a really good player in a complete clusterfeck.
The best players tend to stand out anyway, as Palmer himself proves. I don't see why Enzo wouldn't be able to show his quality anyway. The main problems Chelsea have as I see it are the defense and lack of a real #9.

eire-red

With Enzo he’s honestly had an up and down season. One of our better players in most games but as others have said it’s a dysfunctional club and dysfunctional team. Think of it this way, remember when Tuchel over from Lampard and all of a sudden over the next 18 month players like Rudiger, Christensen, Chilwell, Mount, Kovacic and Jorginho became some of the best players in the league in their positions. We’ve been stuck in the Lampard before Tuchel phase for 2 years now.

Someone was gloating about Mac Allister. If roles were reversed and Enzo was signed by Liverpool for £100+ million and we signed Mac Allister that same Liverpool fan would be in here talking about ‘that’s why you spend the big bucks’.

The price is the price. There’s nothing Enzo can do about that.
I'm not sure about this to be honest. Now Mac Allister has a lot more games and experience, so it's a harsh starting point to be comparing him and Enzo to begin with. The price drives a lot of these discussions and comparisons, and it's a bit of a nonsense stick to be beaten with as a young player because most of that fee is buying what you will be in 3/4 seasons (generally speaking).

However, purely at this point in time I think Mac Allister is superior to Enzo. I appreciate that MacAllister plays in a functioning team, but he has that extra coolness and composure to his game. He has the ability to dictate, slow things down, open defences and find the final pass more often than not. He's also a gritty little fecker. Enzo could be all of those things, but he's only showing flashes here and there.. like most young players.

I don't think any Liverpool fan would swap for Enzo for Mac Allister, not even close. I definitely wouldn't, but I really rate him as a player so maybe that's just me.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure about this to be honest. Now Mac Allister has a lot more games and experience, so it's a harsh starting point to be comparing him and Enzo to begin with. The price drives a lot of these discussions and comparisons, and it's a bit of a nonsense stick to be beaten with as a young player because most of that fee is buying what you will be in 3/4 seasons (generally speaking).

However, purely at this point in time I think Mac Allister is superior to Enzo. I appreciate that MacAllister plays in a functioning team, but he has that extra coolness and composure to his game. He has the ability to dictate, slow things down, open defences and find the final pass more often than not. He's also a gritty little fecker. Enzo could be all of those things, but he's only showing flashes here and there.. like most young players.

I don't think any Liverpool fan would swap for Enzo for Mac Allister, not even close. I definitely wouldn't, but I really rate him as a player so maybe that's just me.
All that may be true but there’s very little chance Mac Allister would look this good at Chelsea and there’s every chance Enzo would look like a world beater in Klopp’s midfield.

The attributes you listed for Mac Allister are almost exactly the things Enzo is good at. I guarantee you if roles were reversed people would be saying there’s no chance I’d swap Enzo for Mac Allister.

Do you think Real Madrid would have bothered chasing Rudiger has Tuchel had not revitalised his career? The player he looked like under Lampard was a player headed towards a move to West Ham or back to Roma. Coaching and team structure is hugely important in how we should judge players is all I’m saying and a lot of these Chelsea players are at a huge disadvantage when they’re being compared to Arsenal and Liverpool players.

eire-red

All that may be true but there’s very little chance Mac Allister would look this good at Chelsea and there’s every chance Enzo would look like a world beater in Klopp’s midfield.

The attributes you listed for Mac Allister are almost exactly the things Enzo is good at. I guarantee you if roles were reversed people would be saying there’s no chance I’d swap Enzo for Mac Allister.

Do you think Real Madrid would have bothered chasing Rudiger has Tuchel had not revitalised his career? The player he looked like under Lampard was a player headed towards a move to West Ham or back to Roma. Coaching and team structure is hugely important in how we should judge players is all I’m saying and a lot of these Chelsea players are at a huge disadvantage when they’re being compared to Arsenal and Liverpool players.
Yeah look it all comes down to difference of opinion, and I don't watch Enzo week in week out like you do so have to respect your view on it too. However, I will argue that top quality does tend to stand out regardless, or else we wouldn't be seeing Palmer have the season he is having? But he plays in more of a free role so the non structure of some games probably suit him.

I thought on Thursday night Enzo was poor considering United tend to play with no midfield structure, and I guess I would have expected a player of his quality to get on the ball a bit more and try and dictate things.

Granted, it was like watching a basketball match in the end so the midfields of each team looked like they were trying to complete the bleep test instead of playing football.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah look it all comes down to difference of opinion, and I don't watch Enzo week in week out like you do so have to respect your view on it too. However, I will argue that top quality does tend to stand out regardless, or else we wouldn't be seeing Palmer have the season he is having? But he plays in more of a free role so the non structure of some games probably suit him.

I thought on Thursday night Enzo was poor considering United tend to play with no midfield structure, and I guess I would have expected a player of his quality to get on the ball a bit more and try and dictate things.

Granted, it was like watching a basketball match in the end so the midfields of each team looked like they were trying to complete the bleep test instead of playing football.
Palmer is to an extent allowed to roam the pitch as he pleases. The lack of structure almost suits him. I’ve seen City fans say he never get away with playing the way he does at Chelsea under Pep.

That United was a prime example of Poch is setting both Enzo and Caicedo up to fail. No structure. No protection. They’re asked to cover oceans of space with little protection in front of them or behind them. It’s one of the reasons I’m desperate for Poch to go. He’s completely wasting what he could be one of the best midfields in the league.

eire-red

Palmer is to an extent allowed to roam the pitch as he pleases. The lack of structure almost suits him. I’ve seen City fans say he never get away with playing the way he does at Chelsea under Pep.

That United was a prime example of Poch is setting both Enzo and Caicedo up to fail. No structure. No protection. They’re asked to cover oceans of space with little protection in front of them or behind them. It’s one of the reasons I’m desperate for Poch to go. He’s completely wasting what he could be one of the best midfields in the league.
Whatever about Enzo, because I do think he's a quality player, it is surprising to see Caicedo look a shadow of the player he was at Brighton, because Brighton do also play a risky game where there was a lot of demands on Caicedo and Mac Allister to cover a lot of ground out of posession, so he should look better than what he is showing currently.

Enzo doesn't have the physicality so easier to explain why he is struggling. If he were at United, I'd want to see him in a more compact 3 in midfield, just like how Argentina set up in the WC.

Ask any United fan, and that bolded part is a carbon copy of our frustration with EtH. I can't understand how any so-called top coach can set up like this in the modern day.

Jam

Last part is very true.

It’s very very easy to take pot shots at Chelsea’s squad because of their cost and performance. However you do have to consider the fact they were basically bought by throwing darts at a board, and have non-existing structure.

It’s a recipe to fail when you spend that amount of money on individual players, not system players, and also not building them into a strong system anyway. The whole thing just feels so ad-hoc.

For all intents and purposes it really feels like random players playing in random ways a lot of the time. So for that reason it is hard to just have a black mark against everyone in that squad as write offs for future success - they’re being asked to do the impossible. It’s not a team it’s a squad. There is potential a strong system coach could come in and adjust and make a couple of transfer to fill some gaps and have them playing some stellar stuff.

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
How is this guy going so under the radar for being so crap at a 120m price tag?! He should be getting absolutely roasted.

And yes, I know now a bunch of Chelsea fans will say he’s not crap at all, dysfunction team blah blah. But he really is crap. He has a ceiling and it ain’t no way high enough.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Jesus what a load of drivel. Are there year end Caf awards for silliest post? And if so, can anyone point me towards the nomination form?
Let's find you a place where you can find at least sthg. more than the air between your ears :D

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool

Yes Enzo might have look a lot better with Pool, yet...
Macca is more mature, has a better strike, more calm when the heat is on, he reads better the spaces and the game as whole, his tackles are more precise, strong and with better anticipation.
Enzo is more dinamic, tries a lot more long balls, he is more flamboyant (for the good and for the bad), he is comitted, generous but he can be quite disorganized too.
Even more than the teams both are, because let's not forget that Liverpool had quite an overhaul and lots of injuries being quite a new team too.
Enzo at this point is simply more inmature, while even if he has a great attitude, if he doesn't start to mature more and have a better understanding of what he is going to bring and what role/s to play, he will tend to try to do "more" than he has to do while ending doing less of what he has to do; ending being caught off guard, hurrying a shot, doing a reckless tackling, etc.