Eredivisie 2022/23

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought it was so weird to say that the majority of the stadium kept booing and whistling against Ajax/Klaassen even after they came back on the pitch.. They should have stayed out 100%.

Such a stain on such a great season for Feyenoord.. Unbelievable some of those people on the stands.. I hope they dont only punish the guy who threw the lighter which hit Klaassen, but éveryone else in the same extent who threw stuff on this pitch.. And we should continue to do so for every game for every object thrown to every pitch until no one dares to anymore..
In a weird way it's good that one of these things finally hit a player, because throwing stuff on the pitch happens weekly, but now that someone is hit (Berghuis was actually hit with a lighter when he played for us too) and there's blood even our minister of justice and safety felt the need to tweet about it. Bit irksome that the minister just uses it to tweet some populist crap as if she's a powerless bystander instead of the person responsible to fecking do something about it.

What annoys me the most is that in such a great season for us, with good football, probably a league title and a great European run we have no instantly lost all good will rival fans might have had for us this season. Stupid fecking cnuts. Boils my blood.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Two guaranteed CL spots for the Eredivisie again after next season! (And one entry for the pre-season play-offs.) That's good news. Apparently it happened because Benfica and Sporting Portugal lost week, while Feyenoord won. I have no idea how those calculations work, but it will be nice to see three Dutch times not making it into the CL winter break in two years.

(And yes, I meant the Champions League, not the Conference League. :cool: (

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Another comprehensive win without spending too much energy. 3 more and it's done.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What happened in the Ajax-PSV game?
Halted temporarily because someone in the stand threw a cup on the pitch. That's been getting worse since the pandemic pause, culminating in the events at Feyenoord-Ajax recently, where Klaassen was hit in the head by an object and had to be substituted. The Dutch FA has now put in place very strict rules around what happens when stuff is thrown on the pitch: match pause the first time, and full stop (to be finished later) subsequently, or immediately in case someone is hit. Both have happened a few times already, so let's see if that helps end this nonsense.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Halted temporarily because someone in the stand threw a cup on the pitch. That's been getting worse since the pandemic pause, culminating in the events at Feyenoord-Ajax recently, where Klaassen was hit in the head by an object and had to be substituted. The Dutch FA has now put in place very strict rules around what happens when stuff is thrown on the pitch: match pause the first time, and full stop (to be finished later) subsequently, or immediately in case someone is hit. Both have happened a few times already, so let's see if that helps end this nonsense.
Yeah really hope it either works soon or a permanent solution is found. The NEC fans from yesterdays match were thoroughly fecked traveling 200 kilometers only to have the game supended after 15 minutes, because a home fan threw stuff on the pitch. Not only is it a waste of their time, but who is reimbursing the travelcosts?

Idxomer

Ah ok, thanks. Thought it would be something bigger but this is also stupid from the fans.

Ajax are now likely to be out of the CL completely next season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ah ok, thanks. Thought it would be something bigger but this is also stupid from the fans.

Ajax are now likely to be out of the CL completely next season.
Don't think it's over yet, though they still face AZ and Twente.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don't think it's over yet, though they still face AZ and Twente.
On the other hand, if AZ beat RKC today and later also Ajax, they're 3rd and Ajax 4th.

I wonder how missing out on CL would affect Ajax financially. I mean, it's obviously a negative, but I think the last few years they've been budgeting everything on the assumption that they'll continue to have the CL income. Will missing out on that have bigger consequences than a lean year?
Yeah, it's not a major thing in and of itself, but added up across the fields every match, it's a big problem right now in the Netherlands. Given that nothing else seems to stop people from throwing stuff on pitches, I guess it makes sense to start responding to every single incident as if it's a major event until it stops.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
A match in Germany's third tier got cancelled today, because someone emptied a precious beer into the ref's face. Maybe it's worse in Holland, I couldn't say, but it's an issue that pops here every now and then as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We will have a lot of difficulty replacing Kokcu. He's brilliant this season. Best player in the league.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Xavi Simons. One of the very very best who’ve ever played for PSV

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A match in Germany's third tier got cancelled today, because someone emptied a precious beer into the ref's face. Maybe it's worse in Holland, I couldn't say, but it's an issue that pops here every now and then as well.
I've no idea how common it is elsewhere, just in the Netherlands it really became too much. Although of course no-one actually did anything until someone got hurt, and now it's suddenly super important it gets corrected. Make of that what you will.

Stadjer

I've no idea how common it is elsewhere, just in the Netherlands it really became too much. Although of course no-one actually did anything until someone got hurt, and now it's suddenly super important it gets corrected. Make of that what you will.
Hopefully fans stop start throwing stuff now. Im afraid it will take time and more cancelled games but hopefully eventually people will stop throwing stuff. You could argue that throwing something on the pitch shouldnt ruin the night for a full stadium but this time the linesman was hit by a beer. Next time a player is hit by a lighter (again). I just hope the zero tolerance will eventually pay off.

Pretty annoying that some 18 year old boy threw a beer against the linesman and caused the game in Groningen to be stopped. Even worse because Groningen wasnt doing too bad for once. Too late to avoid relegation (a real failure with the 6th budget in the league) but Groningen actually started the game fairly well for once.

Kid got a slap and was kept in jail overnight too...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hopefully fans stop start throwing stuff now. Im afraid it will take time and more cancelled games but hopefully eventually people will stop throwing stuff. You could argue that throwing something on the pitch shouldnt ruin the night for a full stadium but this time the linesman was hit by a beer. Next time a player is hit by a lighter (again). I just hope the zero tolerance will eventually pay off.

Pretty annoying that some 18 year old boy threw a beer against the linesman and caused the game in Groningen to be stopped. Even worse because Groningen wasnt doing too bad for once. Too late to avoid relegation (a real failure with the 6th budget in the league) but Groningen actually started the game fairly well for once.

Kid got a slap and was kept in jail overnight too...
I suppose the aim here is that a sense of community kicks in and people stop each other from being idiots - although of course you can't necessarily drop a drunk dumbass from doing drunk dumbassery. It will help if throwing stuff on pitches is de-normalized though. I mean, in other circumstances, people don't throw stuff at random people either, even if their drunk.

(That's an unfortunate twitter account btw. See the upside down flag and some (well, all) of their other posts: a total conspiracy theory adherent. Sigh.)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We commited 0 fouls in yesterday's game. That sounds like it's uncommon...

Stadjer

I suppose the aim here is that a sense of community kicks in and people stop each other from being idiots - although of course you can't necessarily drop a drunk dumbass from doing drunk dumbassery. It will help if throwing stuff on pitches is de-normalized though. I mean, in other circumstances, people don't throw stuff at random people either, even if their drunk.

(That's an unfortunate twitter account btw. See the upside down flag and some (well, all) of their other posts: a total conspiracy theory adherent. Sigh.)
Didnt even notice the Twitter account tbf... Quite numb to the upside down flag. But futher inspection does show the Twitter account owner is a complete idiot :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Didnt even notice the Twitter account tbf... Quite numb to the upside down flag. But futher inspection does show the Twitter account owner is a complete idiot :lol:
Yeah, I guess it's more striking to me since I'm not actually in the Netherlands. :)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
AZ have won the Uefa Youth League 2022/23.

Final: 5-0 vs Hajduk (who knocked out Man City, Dortmund & Milan)
SF: 4-3 on pens vs Sporting CP
QF: 4-0 vs Real
Ro16: 3-0 vs Barcelona
Ro32: 5-0 vs Eintracht Frankfurt

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
AZ have won the Uefa Youth League 2022/23.

Final: 5-0 vs Hajduk (who knocked out Man City, Dortmund & Milan)
SF: 4-3 on pens vs Sporting CP
QF: 4-0 vs Real
Ro16: 3-0 vs Barcelona
Ro32: 5-0 vs Eintracht Frankfurt
Everyone knows we're the best at football if you take out the money :wenger: Too bad AZ will lose any of their top prospects to other teams once they break through.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Everyone knows we're the best at football if you take out the money :wenger: Too bad AZ will lose any of their top prospects to other teams once they break through.
I know you're just kidding, but actually, I think the Netherlands have not had much success in youth football for quite a while, so this is quite cool in that respect.

Congrats @Multatuli and @BenitoSTARR! (Yes, we even have resident AZ fans!)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know you're just kidding, but actually, I think the Netherlands have not had much success in youth football for quite a while, so this is quite cool in that respect.

Congrats @Multatuli and @BenitoSTARR! (Yes, we even have resident AZ fans!)
I have no idea really. Never really follow or watch football. I do know that a lot of experts here say youth football should be more about developing the big talents instead of winning, weird as it sounds.

top1whoisman

Scout
I have no idea really. Never really follow or watch football. I do know that a lot of experts here say youth football should be more about developing the big talents instead of winning, weird as it sounds.
Put it this way. If you could choose one, your academy team X winning trophies or that same team developing say two players to become regulars in your first team - whay would you choose?

I know that they don’t automatically exclude each other, but if they did.

Getting the experience of winning youth trophies gives you confidence and can be important, but it’s equally important to learn how to deal with setbacks and disappointments.

It’s more likely you’ll experience plenty of adversity and challenges than trophy celebrations in your career. Academy football must teach you how to handle those, in my humble opinion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Put it this way. If you could choose one, your academy team X winning trophies or that same team developing say two players to become regulars in your first team - whay would you choose?

I know that they don’t automatically exclude each other, but if they did.

Getting the experience of winning youth trophies gives you confidence and can be important, but it’s equally important to learn how to deal with setbacks and disappointments.

It’s more likely you’ll experience plenty of adversity and challenges than trophy celebrations in your career. Academy football must teach you how to handle those, in my humble opinion.
Yeah I do agree. There was a lot of backlash on our junior national team coach who sometimes benched his biggest talents if a game called for it saying he should stop putting all emphasis on winning youth trophies.

I personally dont care at all about results of youth teams, I only care whether youth stars break through.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah I do agree. There was a lot of backlash on our junior national team coach who sometimes benched his biggest talents if a game called for it saying he should stop putting all emphasis on winning youth trophies.

I personally dont care at all about results of youth teams, I only care whether youth stars break through.
Exactly. Some academies stack up youth players, end up winning a lot of U-something trophies but destroy careers as half of the team struggle to get any minutes. Sure congrats on your trophies but I wouldn't call that a good practice when developing young players and people.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The way Ajax can utterly melt down when they fail to win something for a year is hilarious.

Probably the end of Van der Sar though he seems utterly incompetent.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Exactly. Some academies stack up youth players, end up winning a lot of U-something trophies but destroy careers as half of the team struggle to get any minutes. Sure congrats on your trophies but I wouldn't call that a good practice when developing young players and people.
That's all true, and obviously 'winning stuff' shouldn't be the main focus of a youth academy. On the other hand, mental strength is a teachable skill as well, and you won't be able to train that by playing low-stakes games only: you need some proper 'occasions' to get people used to the pressures those situations bring and learn how to deal with them. I think this is relevant in the Netherlands especially, as Dutch clubs and the national team are notorious bottlers in key moments. (Like final parts of the game when defending a 1-0 lead, or penalty shoot-outs.) I'm not sure what works best to build that mental strength, and I suppose AZ's youth team didn't learn all that much by winning this final 5-0; but just to say that I don't think focusing on winning is completely pointless.

top1whoisman

Scout
That's all true, and obviously 'winning stuff' shouldn't be the main focus of a youth academy. On the other hand, mental strength is a teachable skill as well, and you won't be able to train that by playing low-stakes games only: you need some proper 'occasions' to get people used to the pressures those situations bring and learn how to deal with them. I think this is relevant in the Netherlands especially, as Dutch clubs and the national team are notorious bottlers in key moments. (Like final parts of the game when defending a 1-0 lead, or penalty shoot-outs.) I'm not sure what works best to build that mental strength, and I suppose AZ's youth team didn't learn all that much by winning this final 5-0; but just to say that I don't think focusing on winning is completely pointless.
Yes you need big games and pressure too, absolutely. I also think playing for your international youth side gives you those experiences automatically. I'd also argue that the mental strength you need you learn more than anywhere else when facing adversity. Of course success gives you a different kind of experience giving you confidence which is also important.

Trying to win every match and competition at youth level is what you aim for when you enter that competition, of course. I'm definitely not saying that winning on that level is pointless, absolutely not. But I'm still of the opinion that individual development is the most important factor of an academy, not winning. That's what first team football and being a professional athlete is about. Yes it's good if you have experience of winning when you approach your pro years but it's equally important to have the negative experiences, so that you'll be able to deal with those. Because for 99,9% of the players during their careers will have more setbacks than trophy celebrations. If you've only won and had experience of triumph in your academy years, I can guarantee it won't be easy to deal with the bumps on the road.

One of the best things for me about reaching CL is the UYL. It would be awesome to go far in the competition. We had a great team in 2018/19 with Gomes, Laird, Chong, Kovář, Garner, Mengi etc. but we still got knocked out in the Ro16. Anyway that campaign gave me joy especially as our first team had been struggling a lot. I wouldn't say that we'll have a great team next year in the UYL, but some interesting players for sure.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes you need big games and pressure too, absolutely. I also think playing for your international youth side gives you those experiences automatically. I'd also argue that the mental strength you need you learn more than anywhere else when facing adversity. Of course success gives you a different kind of experience giving you confidence which is also important.

Trying to win every match and competition at youth level is what you aim for when you enter that competition, of course. I'm definitely not saying that winning on that level is pointless, absolutely not. But I'm still of the opinion that individual development is the most important factor of an academy, not winning. That's what first team football and being a professional athlete is about. Yes it's good if you have experience of winning when you approach your pro years but it's equally important to have the negative experiences, so that you'll be able to deal with those. Because for 99,9% of the players during their careers will have more setbacks than trophy celebrations. If you've only won and had experience of triumph in your academy years, I can guarantee it won't be easy to deal with the bumps on the road.

One of the best things for me about reaching CL is the UYL. It would be awesome to go far in the competition. We had a great team in 2018/19 with Gomes, Laird, Chong, Kovář, Garner, Mengi etc. but we still got knocked out in the Ro16. Anyway that campaign gave me joy especially as our first team had been struggling a lot. I wouldn't say that we'll have a great team next year in the UYL, but some interesting players for sure.
Yeah, definitely, agree with all of that!

And it must be pretty special for an AZ fan to see one of their teams get to this kind of stage. Not quite what they're used to - even if it's 'just' a youth team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Stop agreeing you weirdos this is the internet. I agree with all of the above

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah, definitely, agree with all of that!

And it must be pretty special for an AZ fan to see one of their teams get to this kind of stage. Not quite what they're used to - even if it's 'just' a youth team.
Aye, it's a testament to their work when it comes to youth scouting and youth coaching. Brilliant to see both them and Hajduk in the final. Small clubs in Europe even though they're big clubs in their countries.

wangyu

Those AZ results say enough, they crushed each opponent bar Sporting. How do the English teams fare in the youth league, probably completely disappointing?

top1whoisman

Scout
Those AZ results say enough, they crushed each opponent bar Sporting. How do the English teams fare in the youth league, probably completely disappointing?
Yeah not great recently. This season Liverpool got knocked out in QFs, City in the round of 16. Last season Liverpool QFs, United Ro16, 2019/20 Liverpool & Derby Ro16. Chelsea won the competition twice in a row in 2014/15 and 2015/16.