Eric Abidal

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Abidal left hospital today - he's sent his thanks to everyone who wished him well.

http://www.facebook.com/Eric.Abidal.Officiel
Hi everybody,
I confirm you that I went out of the hospital today: I wanted to give you first, this information.
I will give you more news tomorrow.
Gérard (my cousin) joins me to thank all of you for your numerous messages of support!

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Very kewl news...Still has a lonnnng road ahead but he continues to overcome one massive hurdle after another...Remarkable really

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
He travelled with Barcelona to Paris for the PSG match last night - not to play, just to enjoy being part of it again.

After the game he said that he hopes to return to play, and he's following his doctor's instructions. He says he'll take the time he needs in the gym to recover but that he hopes he'll be able to play in Nou Camp again, maybe even by December.

Good luck to him.

Homeomorphic

I'm not sure what to make of that. Virtually everyone I've talked to who has a medical background has told me that it's nearly impossible to return to professional football after having a liver transplant. The doctors looking after him will know better of course but I hope he doesn't force anything.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I'm not sure what to make of that. Virtually everyone I've talked to who has a medical background has told me that it's nearly impossible to return to professional football after having a liver transplant. The doctors looking after him will know better of course but I hope he doesn't force anything.
Even with a good deal of medical experience, Abidal's case is impossible to weigh in on accurately...He's effectively breaking new ground and defying the odds at every turn...The mere fact that he's alive is a win, everything else has been gravy

So many things can happen with a person who will always be in constant danger of his body rejecting the liver nevermind a host of potentially lethal infections...Logically, the likelihood of a continued career for the player is improbable if not virtually impossible but I know this, I would never say never with Eric - it's an amazing story, IMHO

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't see anything amazing about it when you have got the best doctors in the world available to you.I mean a liver transplant isn't among the toughest ******** operation there is, his chance of success were high.His possible return as a pro footballer is only a surprise to me because of his age

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I don't see anything amazing about it when you have got the best doctors in the world available to you.I mean a liver transplant isn't among the toughest ******** operation there is, his chance of success were high.His possible return as a pro footballer is only a surprise to me because of his age
I can conclude that you obviously know little about medicine, it is indeed an amazing story already...perhaps more impressive is that the story continues

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think you're getting carried away by your emotions because you're a Barca fan.It's good that he's recovered but getting a successful liver transplant surgery when you can afford to be followed by excellent doctors isn't the miracle you're making it sound to be.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I can conclude that you obviously know little about medicine, it is indeed an amazing story already...perhaps more impressive is that the story continues
It's an amazing story, but it's not a miracle, or anything near it, 6,500 liver transplants were performed in the U.S. in 2005. That figure has rose steadily.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Hard to fathom but doctors have given the player clearance to return to full training and a possible return to the pitch which would make him the first ever professional athlete to play a contact sport with a liver transplant

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure if we have any doctors here left but liver transplants are one of the most common transplants that are done and after about a year after the surgery is fully done (of course it varies on how bad the liver was before it and how well the surgery happens) they should be back to normal. People are often back to work less than 6 months after a transplant but usually their work isn't as physical as a professional athletes job.

Since it wasn't genetics that caused his liver to fail or substance abuse and the fact that he got a live donor and the best medical care available he probably had as good prognosis as possible given that he had a tumor. I have no idea if the tumor was malignant or not, don't remember it being specified. Tumor are generally not cool either way.

How does he look compared to Fletcher? Will be hard to think that he'll win his place back in the team. I'm sure Barca will give him some minutes in games not very important but given his age I don't see him making a proper comeback to the sport.

Still, despite all that it was still some odds he had to beat. I'm just trying to speak from a medical perspective. In general those odds are pretty shitty despite how optimal a doctor can sound.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Abidal has had medical clearance to play - he's been training for a while.

There's speculation that he may even play this weekend against Sevilla - almost exactly one year after his last game, ten months after his transplant operation.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Made his comeback last night with a 20 minute cameo against Mallorca. How strong is this guy?

LARulz

Fair play to him. My dad had a liver transplant and took him a very long time to recover to be able to do exercise even. They've changed the procedure a bit for it in the 5 years since my dad's but its still a major major surgery, so congrats to Abidal and all the doctors involved.