Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

While the goal wasn't all on him, he definitely could have prevented by not randomly slowing down. Other than that, I thought he was fine.

InfiniteBoredom

No way, cause he scores important goals?
If you think all he does is scoring big goals then there’s nothing to discuss.

Ramos being the aggressive, twattish and front foot defender he is was immensely important in his sides winning 4 CL. You can’t be reactive when you have Ronaldo in your team and a Marcelo who spend 80% of his time in the opponent’s half. His cock ups are as a result more noticeable, or course.

Silva was part of a Brazilian defence that shipped 7 goals against Germany, or 5 goals against Barca. Put him in the highest of stakes and he can just be as error prone as anyone else.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Should have trusted the experience of Smalling against PSG, and not Bailly. No aerial threat, little anticipation, around the same level of passing in the build up. He wasn't aggressive winning balls but he didn't make mistakes either. Decent but we needed someone dominant this game.

Johan07

I think he was partly responsible for Young's yellow too iirc. Followed Mbappe all the way into their half and got left behind - something he is usually very prone to.
His positioning and awareness is really poor, he lacks composure and concentration and his ball-playing is not really good enough to compensate. He's got a lot of weaknesses, is generally an unconvincing defender and I don't even know what he is supposed to be good at.
He has got a long way to go, but he was not bad today.
Yeah, that was a terrible play by him. I have no idea what he was thinking there. If that had been Jones he would have been crucified. It looked like an U18 CB.
He could have done better for the second goal as well, even if tbf its not easy to handle Mbappe in those type of situations.
He did not have a good game today, but it would be unfair to blame him for us losing. But he did not perform up to par thats for sure. Think he will be behind Jones and Smalling for awhile now.
My main issue with him is that he is ball playing is not good enough to compensate at all; its pretty much non-existent. I am not sure anymore if he is better on the ball than Smalling tbf.
And when we play Bailly it shunts Lindelof to LCB which reduces Victor´s ball-playing ability as well. Our biggest problem today was that we got pressed and stressed in possession and much of that was down to the CBs. Young didnt help either.
I just wish that we would stick with Lindelof at RCB and let the others fight it out for LCB. If Bailly and Smalling cant play there, which seems to be the case, then its Jones or even Rojo for me.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Most defenders in world football would struggle to cope with an attack containing Mbappé, he's simply sensational.

The main problems for United tonight were a non-existent midfield in transition (Matic simply too immobile) and a lack of depth up top (Mata and Sanchez not up to it in Solsjkaer's system).

4-5 additions required for United to even come close to competing at this sort of level again really.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Ramos being the aggressive, twattish and front foot defender he is was immensely important in his sides winning 4 CL. You can’t be reactive when you have Ronaldo in your team and a Marcelo who spend 80% of his time in the opponent’s half. His cock ups are as a result more noticeable, or course.

Silva was part of a Brazilian defence that shipped 7 goals against Germany, or 5 goals against Barca. Put him in the highest of stakes and he can just be as error prone as anyone else.
Thiago Silva did not play in that semi final against Germany.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Should have trusted the experience of Smalling against PSG, and not Bailly. No aerial threat, little anticipation, around the same level of passing in the build up. He wasn't aggressive winning balls but he didn't make mistakes either. Decent but we needed someone dominant this game.
Smalling is just coming back from injury.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Smalling is just coming back from injury.
That is true, Ole picks the team ahead of time so that explains it. But this was a big game and he has helped us in those even with lack of fitness before. I think we should have trusted him. Only defender with real experience back there.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
That is true, Ole picks the team ahead of time so that explains it. But this was a big game and he has helped us in those even with lack of fitness before. I think we should have trusted him. Only defender with real experience back there.
None of our guys really have experience at this level.

meninred

Bailly would understand today the importance of speed. maybe less than half meter ahead he could have cleared the ball for the second goal.

kundalini

Not quite sure of the logic behind sprinting then stopping so that Mbappe still has space to score an easy goal. If he kept spinting then Bailly gets the chance to cut out the cross before it reaches Mbappe.

RooneyLegend

The man is a walking red card, especially in big matches. Just last season him and Nacho got ragdolled by Kane. The man is extremely error prone. Madrid haven't been a great side defensively so hes hardly been all that important outside of his big goals.

Silva didn't play the match vs Germany and he also didn't make a single mistake in that tie vs Barca. Go look at the goals if you don't believe me.

mav_9me

Not quite sure of the logic behind sprinting then stopping so that Mbappe still has space to score an easy goal. If he kept spinting then Bailly gets the chance to cut out the cross before it reaches Mbappe.
For the cut back.

A-man

Thiago Silva did not play in that semi final against Germany.
No and the reason is he got a silly unnecessary yellow card and wasn’t allowed to play when the team needed him. One big difference between Silva and Ramos is that Ramos has performed in matches at the highest possible level many times (CL and WC finals, semis). Silva has not really played many (any?) matches of that dignity, but his nerves have let him down at matches a level under that.

Anyway, this is Baillys thread. I don’t see how Smalling would have done this much better. DDG and the CB pair were best on the pitch imo.

Fracture90

Think he was among the better players last night, dunno if I can fault him for their second because that cross from Di Maria was perfect and Mbapp is really amazing player.

That’s poor defending because there is only one place that ball is going and any top defender should know that. I could understand the stutter if they were deeper in the box waiting for a cut back but they weren’t and he knew Mbappe was on the run as personally the first part of it he does wel, he’s given himself the space and has started the sprint quite early, Mbappe just has ridiculous speed and that combined with the slight pause and a good ball has led to that goal.

I don’t think his performance was bad, he was alright even if he did get pulled out of position quite easily or be over eager to try and win it and go too far, but except that one stutter he was decent.
Not at all, when the move started a cut back was definitely on. As a CB you don't run too far ahead of your man, you try to match their run, so he did nothing wrong in that bit. What he could have done better is know when Mbappe started accelerating, but it's incredibly hard to see that and watch where Di Maria is going to put the ball at the same time. Reminds me of Ronaldos goal in the group stage, everybody nitpicking but sometimes you just have to accept a world class player scored a world class goal.

Moonwalker

Did you not watch that world cup?

Manny

Grammar Police
I think he's overrated on here.

That slide for the second goal is exactly the kind of brain fart I've come to expect from him.

He might be better than some of our other CBs but that doesn't mean he's good enough. Reminds me a bit of when Silvestre used to play CB - relying on pace to make up for poor decisions and rashness.

TsuWave

how was it a brain fart? still can’t believe he’s being blamed. Sometimes you just get outplayed, that was a peach of a ball by Di Maria. Once a narrative gets going it never stops, Bailly was the least of our problems yesterday, he had a solid game.

Rossa

He was decent. If we had scored that second goal of theirs, we would applaud a great attacking game. Bailly actually almost reaches the ball. The line is not good, which is an issue, but it was far from an issue.

Alabaster Codify7

Both him and Iindelof looked like what they are. Good CBs playing against VERY good players. We'd have conceded 5 had they been full strength.

Andersons Dietician

Not at all, when the move started a cut back was definitely on. As a CB you don't run too far ahead of your man, you try to match their run, so he did nothing wrong in that bit. What he could have done better is know when Mbappe started accelerating, but it's incredibly hard to see that and watch where Di Maria is going to put the ball at the same time. Reminds me of Ronaldos goal in the group stage, everybody nitpicking but sometimes you just have to accept a world class player scored a world class goal.
The pause wasn’t when the move started though, he has yards on Mbappe, he knows they are in trouble as soon as the ball has gone to Di Maria because he starts his sprint straight away and kicks in to gear then be it a poor moment of judgement he pauses when Mbappe is on his shoulder and that one moment allows DiMaria that tiny space to get the ball past him and Mbappe the chance to get on the ball.

I would understand him being concerned about a cut back if they were deeper in the box but they weren’t and if there had been a cut back you would hope Lindelof would have said something. Simply it was a tiny mistake and PSG took advantage of it.

Kostov

The pause wasn’t when the move started though, he has yards on Mbappe, he knows they are in trouble as soon as the ball has gone to Di Maria because he starts his sprint straight away and kicks in to gear then be it a poor moment of judgement he pauses when Mbappe is on his shoulder and that one moment allows DiMaria that tiny space to get the ball past him and Mbappe the chance to get on the ball.

I would understand him being concerned about a cut back if they were deeper in the box but they weren’t and if there had been a cut back you would hope Lindelof would have said something. Simply it was a tiny mistake and PSG took advantage of it.
Watching at that again you'd think most on here would have hoped on Lindelof to try and follow through with Mbappe and cover for his partner, instead Victor did nothing and just let the attacker get the ball freely. If any of the CB is to be blamed for that goal, I think it's more on Lindelof.

Andersons Dietician

Watching at that again you'd think most on here would have hoped on Lindelof to try and follow through with Mbappe and cover for his partner, instead Victor did nothing and just let the attacker get the ball freely. If any of the CB is to be blamed for that goal, I think it's more on Lindelof.
Nope.

Mcking

He didn't have to stop there. If he had kept running, then he would have cut off the ball, and if Di Maria played it behind him, then the ball would have ended behind - or at least in an awkward manner - Mbappe who was at full pelt too. It was poor judgement from Bailly, but a good attacking move nonetheless. I mean the opponents are allowed to try and create chances.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'd have rather seen Lindelof & Jones yesterday. They have looked more solid in more games than Bailly & Lindelöf had shown for one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. Bailly had to try and block the ball coming across goal, but Lindelof should have blocked his run and stopped him getting to the ball. Not sure what he was trying to do as there was no other danger.

Suedesi

I agreed with your post until the last paragraph. Silva was part of that Brazilian defense by being suspended in the stands. And Ramos has shipped 4-5 goals against Barca on numerous occasions - but that doesn't really detract from his insane quality.

Suedesi

how was it a brain fart? still can’t believe he’s being blamed. Sometimes you just get outplayed, that was a peach of a ball by Di Maria. Once a narrative gets going it never stops, Bailly was the least of our problems yesterday, he had a solid game.
No he didn't. He lost Mbappe several times. Rewind to the corner leading to their first goal. That corner came from a DDG save on a Mbappe header (circa 52:15). Bailly just froze like a deer in headlights when Mbappe pulls back. There's not a fecking PSG player with 10 yards, all he's got to do is track Mbappe closely and he's can't seem to do it.

And then he's definitely at fault for the second goal.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm not sure you can blame anyone for that. Mbappe is possibly the fastest striker in the world, and as much as we hate him, Di Maria's pass was the stuff of dreams.

Better off blaming Pogba for losing it cheaply imo. Nix that, better just holding your hands up and saying it was a mighty fine goal by 2 world class players.

Canagel

We were so wide open even if we'd cut that cross the next one would've gone in. There was another one DDG stopped in the near post and the other side mbappe got clear 1 on 1 . They were bound to take one of these opportunities so I wouldn't apportion individual blame. We were getting played off the pitch as team .
I was more pissed off at the set piece because that does come down to man vs man.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Everyone could see where the ball was going, no? You make sure you get yourself as close to the post as you can to block the obvious pass between the keeper and the defenders. Smalling does this correctly a lot, and gets no credit for it, probably because it doesn't even seem like a chance when you get to it, as it looks easy. He just blocks a pass, no big deal. But this shows how important it is.

We seem to be unable to realise that this is where easy tap ins comes from. In attack too. We never have anyone in the box between the defender and the keeper.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I feel nervous whenever he's playing, especially when pairing with Lindelof. He's a good footballer, but definitely shouldn't be a centerback.

TsuWave

No he didn't. He lost Mbappe several times. Rewind to the corner leading to their first goal. That corner came from a DDG save on a Mbappe header (circa 52:15). Bailly just froze like a deer in headlights when Mbappe pulls back. There's not a fecking PSG player with 10 yards, all he's got to do is track Mbappe closely and he's can't seem to do it.

And then he's definitely at fault for the second goal.
When Bailly was 4 he had the opportunity to fly to Paris and prevent Mbappe parents from conceiving him. The fact you’re attributing blame for the first goal on him is....interesting.

PSG has a nice break for the second goal, great ball from Di Maria, not every day is “x player’s fault”. rest.

Mcking

When Bailly was 4 he had the opportunity to fly to Paris and prevent Mbappe parents from conceiving him. The fact you’re attributing blame for the first goal on him is....interesting.

PSG has a nice break for the second goal, great ball from Di Maria, not every day is “x player’s fault”. rest.
It was good play from PSG, but he for some reason briefly stopped his run allowing Mbappe to get ahead of him. It was neither the best nor the worst defending in the world, but I wouldn't blame him too much.

Patrick08

It was good play from PSG, but he for some reason briefly stopped his run allowing Mbappe to get ahead of him. It was neither the best nor the worst defending in the world, but I wouldn't blame him too much.
It's hard for a defender to anticipate running backwards where the attacker will move, as he is behind him, he could have overrun the cross as well and if mbappe checked his run, and dinaria put a ball in behind him it could have been the same result, it was great play from two quick players and that moment of decision making cost us the goal.

But this one is not on bailly definitely, Matic should have done better to control this coup tee attack and break up the play, in the middle, he just jogs back ball watching an attacking player making a forward pass on the counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.