Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hopefully his medical bills, sorry, wages, come out of the Phil Jones memorial fund.

Mike Smalling

Meh. I doubt this will be great business from us in hindsight, but at least it's only three years. He is quality on his day, very fun to watch and doesn't mind being back-up (when he is actually fit).

This makes more sense than the Phil Jones extension.

SAFMUTD

Not ideal but not a bad option either, we need to focus on other areas first. Ideally we sell him next summer once we buy a new CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Luke Shaw broke his leg, it's not the same, you afford someone that time to recover.

This has Phil Jones energy all over it, which I was also wildly against.
Bailly had 2 long term injuries back to back? Since then he's had a few niggles but nothing that's kept him out long term.

FerociousCorgis

absolute amazed at the work these agents can do for players. Both jones and bailly need to have their agents inducted into some sort of agent hall of fame. Players who have literally been paid to be injured/unavailable 90 percent of the time

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Do people believe that clubs don't have disability policies on all of their players who are paid wages?

I get that a player's unavailability due to injury is problematic and that's fair but wages aren't an impact. If a player can't report for duty due to injury their wages will be covered by a short or long term disability insurance solution (just like in any organization).

A-man

The defensive Lingard. How many people realise he is older than Lindelof. I don't mind Eric and I hope he stays fit but he is not suddenly going to find another level and he does not improve us at all. The reality is that this is as clear an indication as we have had that despite the press gossip we won't be signing a new CB this summer.
This is the problem. We should either get a young talent, or someone who improves us, or someone reliable who can be backup/compete/rotate.

Bailly is not young, does not improve us, and is not reliable. But if the intention was to invest money in other parts of the team and not get any new CB, this makes sense. I doubt he would sign if there were plans to sign a new CB this summer.

Last edited:

lost7

I still think if he managed to say fit, he could be a top defender. Also he's a good influence in the team

As long as he's on reasonable wages, I don't mind us giving him a contract

luke511

I'm surprised to see so many people against him signing a new contract, it makes a lot more sense than letting him go for free. He's also our best defensive centreback when he's fit, unlike Jones when he was renewed. There's still time for Bailly to make it here.

Rolaholic

I'm surprised to see so many people against him signing a new contract, it makes a lot more sense than letting him go for free. He's also our best defensive centreback when he's fit, unlike Jones when he was renewed. There's still time for Bailly to make it here.
Me too especially the Phil Jones comps after some standout performances when he has played lately :houllier:

His health is always a question mark but it doesn't hurt keeping him in the squad when our only other decent CB alternative is Tuanzebe.

bdspeedy

Best defender we have. By far. Hope he can stay fit. This 6 at the back to protect our 2 statue CB's needs to end. Scooby-Fred will prevent us from winning anything.

Champagne Football

Bailly has shown signs of improved injury record this season. He hasn't been getting into the team due to uncertainty as to where he'll play next season.

It will be very good for Diallo to have fellow countryman Bailly still around to help him settle.

I doubt we're signing any new central defenders now unless it's some 19 year old super kid to send out on loan for a couple of seasons.

Bailly can do a job next season, no doubt about it. Everyone on here was desperate for us to sign Nathan Ake last summer and he has flopped at Man City.

A-man

Best defender we have. By far. Hope he can stay fit. This 6 at the back to protect our 2 statue CB's needs to end. Scooby-Fred will prevent us from winning anything.

For those who claim he is a level above our other CBs, what results have we achieved with him that we wouldn’t achieve with Lindelof/Maguire?

Spurs 1-6
Leicester 2-2
Wolves 1-0
Aston Villa 2-1
Burnley 1-0
Fulham 2-1
Crystal Palace 0-0

4 wins
2 draws
1 lost
9-10 goal difference

Don’t think that is superior to what we get from Lindelof /Maguire especially since all wins are against bottom half teams.

Jericho

I still think if he managed to say fit, he could be a top defender. Also he's a good influence in the team

As long as he's on reasonable wages, I don't mind us giving him a contract
I agree but it hardly matters since he’s always injured.

AKDevil

it’s also just until 2024. Give him another year. He’s spoken about staying fit and healthy so he knows the issue. If he doesn’t do it can have no complaints if replaced and by then he’s got just two years left.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Do people believe that clubs don't have disability policies on all of their players who are paid wages?

I get that a player's unavailability due to injury is problematic and that's fair but wages aren't an impact. If a player can't report for duty due to injury their wages will be covered by a short or long term disability insurance solution (just like in any organization).
I'm not sure that this is true. Not the kind of insurance I personally work in, but I've only ever seem claims on career-ending injuries showing up in our business. And they're eye-watering.

But I seriously doubt this happens during a season. Like United claim every week that Pogba misses etc.

Would be interested to learn otherwise.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm not sure that this is true. Not the kind of insurance I personally work in, but I've only ever seem claims on career-ending injuries showing up in our business. And they're eye-watering.

But I seriously doubt this happens during a season. Like United claim every week that Pogba misses etc.

Would be interested to learn otherwise.
It would be a surprise to me if clubs operated without it. Whether they have a self-funded plan or a policy with an insurer you'd be a fool to not mitigate against losing an employee to injury or illness at the wages we pay. You can absorb a week every now and again but for longer term stuff where a player misses 4-8 weeks or more you'd want to transfer that risk.

eltigreFalcao

This is the problem. We should either get a young talent, or someone who improves us, or someone reliable who can be backup/compete/rotate.

Bailly is not young, does not improve us, and is not reliable. But if the intention was to invest money in other parts of the team and not get any new CB, this makes sense. I doubt he would sign if there were plans to sign a new CB this summer.
I agree with this opinion. Frankly I'm baffled that we aim to renew Bailly while we seem desperate for an upgrade in CB. Current pecking order is:
1 Maguire (first player in mu history to play every single minute of PL football)
2 Lindelof (not better nor worse than Bailly, neither Maguire)
3 Bailly (plays an average of 3 games per season)
4 Tuanzebe (raring to go up but with so limited game time will never quite get there)
5 Jones (nothing to say about him)

This seems not only poor in depth but also in quality and hindering Tuanzebe's progress

Hopefully we're Focusing on other areas and looking to improve CB next year

stevoc

Good stuff. Has outperformed the regular CB pairing multiple times. Hopefully gets a real chance if the team is picked on merit
Did he play on his own?

How did he outperform the regular pairing?

stevoc

How many of those was he available for and not used?

Yes he's had his injury problems in the past but 2 of them were unlucky.

Would you use the same excuse for Luke Shaw? doubt it. Bailly is a good player and still young.
Just this season he's had about 4-5 injuries, a car crash and Covid. Thats not just bad luck mate, he's injury prone.

Last edited:

stevoc

Bailly has shown signs of improved injury record this season. He hasn't been getting into the team due to uncertainty as to where he'll play next season.

It will be very good for Diallo to have fellow countryman Bailly still around to help him settle.

I doubt we're signing any new central defenders now unless it's some 19 year old super kid to send out on loan for a couple of seasons.

Bailly can do a job next season, no doubt about it. Everyone on here was desperate for us to sign Nathan Ake last summer and he has flopped at Man City.
Has he?

He's been out injured or sick about 5-6 times.

stevoc

Not a bad move to retain him he's a good player. Gives us an option to change it up and rest Lindelof or Maguire when he's fit.

Foxbatt

Individually he may be more talented than Lindelof but as a team he is not.
He certainly is more entertaining from his acrobatics to his encouragement of Cavani to show his celebration.

Idxomer

It's only a two-year extension really, not ideal but nowhere near as bad as the Jones deal.

Dve

Let´s just pray he´ll stay fit for once, then maybe he can become our first choice next season and give us the freedom to strengthening other positions instead, i.e. DM and RW, and we´ll need a nr. 9 as well if Cavani leaves. I don´t think we can have it all.

stevoc

He's never fit. Enough with the useless hypotheticals.
I agree i was being a bit sarcastic. People in here who think he should be playing ahead of Maguire and Lindelof when he's never been fit enough to displace them.

G-MUFC

absolute amazed at the work these agents can do for players. Both jones and bailly need to have their agents inducted into some sort of agent hall of fame. Players who have literally been paid to be injured/unavailable 90 percent of the time
This! Bailly has hardly kicked a ball here. He's had numerous awful performances, such as Newcastle at home (3-2 game) and especially the Spurs 6-1 game this season. City and Liverpool would never give this guy a new contract. We're never going to be winning leagues and European cups with players like Bailly.

Bailly must be laughing at the people that continue to pay him obscene money for doing very little.

If his weekly wage is anywhere near what the likes of what proper defenders like Van Dijk or Dias earn then we deserve everything we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.