Eric Bailly | BBC say signing is imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

massi83

Missing a month of the season?

Potential injuries etc...

Fairly obvious
Are the potential injuries any more likely than if he stayed in the PL during that period, doubt it. One could even argue that suffers less injuries as he has the whole summer to rest during the Euros. Missing 5-6 games every second year, should not put off any team from signing any player. At most it should be taken into account with the transfer fee and salary. Misses 5% of the games during the contract so should be payed 19m instead of 20m, obviously United don't care about that 1m, so it's a moot point.

Reactions: jojojo

Witchking

Never seen him play but the youtube videos which usually show all the players in good light only managed to show that he jumps in to tackles and is a rough player and seems to not be in control of the ball ever. I am guessing that this signing will go the Rojo way and might not be a good signing for United.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It just seems really badly intergrated. Change it to every 4 years and then combine it with one of the 2 week long international windows in European club football and maybe shift it a week or two earlier in the calender and yoi could keep disruption to a minimum.

I assume its every two years to try and enhance the profile of African football? But its a shame because it has the opposite effect.
Yes let's change the entire paradigm of an international football tournament, purely because it's a disruption. In fact let's put it at the same time as European football, who cares about the reasons or repercussions :rolleyes:

The tournament is when it is. It happens every 2 years.

If a player wins ACON it will be a pivotal part of their career. Which is more important than 5/6 games in a season they'll miss - at most.

NinjaFletch

Yes let's change the entire paradigm of an international football tournament, purely because it's a disruption. In fact let's put it at the same time as European football, who cares about the reasons or repercussions :rolleyes:

The tournament is when it is. It happens every 2 years.

If a player wins ACON it will be a pivotal part of their career. Which is more important than 5/6 games in a season they'll miss - at most.
Are you actually daft? Im proposing changing the European football calender for the benefit of the African game.

Sigma

If he's good enough, I couldn't care less about the African Cup of Nations.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Are you actually daft? Im proposing changing the European football calender for the benefit of the African game.
That won't work because a lot of European leagues have winter breaks at roughly the same time, or just before the ACON, so changing the European calendar will potentially negatively affect European qualifying

murphs_law

You dont see his absence as a major disruption? Even if him and smalling are rock solid and we are top of the league?

NinjaFletch

That won't work because a lot of European leagues have winter breaks at roughly the same time, or just before the ACON, so changing the European calendar will potentially negatively affect European qualifying
Yes which is exactly my point. Considering that we already have a period where some teams dont play games its silly to have players wait until games start back up again before they shoot off to play in the tournament. If we can work it out for Qatar to host the World Cup for no reason Im sure we can work this out too.

If the ACON is a reason why African players sometimes get overlooked for top European clubs (and we already have Ferguson saying it is) then its silly not to look for ways to intergrate it into the international calender better. After all, I'd argue that ensuring that the most players play for the top clubs as humanely possible is the most sure fire way to improve the game.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
You dont see his absence as a major disruption? Even if him and smalling are rock solid and we are top of the league?
Exactly

Fergie certainly wasn't a fan. Think he only ever signed Fortune from the African countries

He certainly wouldn't have liked one half of his defensive pairing gone for a month

But other managers like Jose live with it. So we shall see

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Exactly

Fergie certainly wasn't a fan. Think he only ever signed Fortune from the African countries

He certainly wouldn't have liked one half of his defensive pairing gone for a month

Djemba Djemba and Manucho too

Edit - And Mikel

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's ridiculous that the ACON is played every two years. I think it's a bit of a problem that it's played in January, but you can't get around that and obviously Africa has to have their own continental tournament. But it should be a 4 year cycle like the World Cup or the Euro.
The regularity has also reduced its value. Players and fans aren't interested in it anymore.

Sigma

Of course not. We are missing him for 2/3 weeks every 104 weeks. That's just like a small injury.

Sereques

Exactly

Signed Eric DJX2, Manucho and Obi Mikel.

Rory 7

Are the potential injuries any more likely than if he stayed in the PL during that period, doubt it. One could even argue that suffers less injuries as he has the whole summer to rest during the Euros. Missing 5-6 games every second year, should not put off any team from signing any player. At most it should be taken into account with the transfer fee and salary. Misses 5% of the games during the contract so should be payed 19m instead of 20m, obviously United don't care about that 1m, so it's a moot point.
I know what you are getting at but this type of thing always makes me laugh. The way fans seem to think we have and bottomless pit of money at OT :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes which is exactly my point. Considering that we already have a period where some teams dont play games its silly to have players wait until games start back up again before they shoot off to play in the tournament. If we can work it out for Qatar to host the World Cup for no reason Im sure we can work this out too.

If the ACON is a reason why African players sometimes get overlooked for top European clubs (and we already have Ferguson saying it is) then its silly not to look for ways to intergrate it into the international calender better. After all, I'd argue that ensuring that the most players play for the top clubs as humanely possible is the most sure fire way to improve the game.
We can't work it out for Qatar to host it in December, nothing's been confirmed and that whole process is a shambles anyway.

I'm not entirely convinced Fergie definitely said he wouldn't sign African players for that reason, or said it as explicitly as that because I've never seen or read him say that. He's definitely had an aversion to signing African players and if the reason is because of the ACON then tbh it's incredibly ignorant on his part and any other manager to agrees with that sentiment.

Yes the player is gone, yes it's inconvenient. But the average player will miss 2/4 games unless they reach the semi's/final and they'll miss 6. They won't be any more fatigued than if they were playing in the domestic league as most African countries have a time difference of +1 and the stadiums aren't played at ridiculous altitudes either. There's no CL, no FA Cup games, and it's after Christmas break. There's still 3 months worth of football to be played after it finishes, it's not the deciding point in the season. And injuries can happen at any time even warm up for matches.

massi83

I know what you are getting at but this type of thing always makes me laugh. The way fans seem to think we have and bottomless pit of money at OT :lol:
Yeah, more going by the evidence, not what should be.

NinjaFletch

We can't work it out for Qatar to host it in December, nothing's been confirmed and that whole process is a shambles anyway.

I'm not entirely convinced Fergie definitely said he wouldn't sign African players for that reason, or said it as explicitly as that because I've never seen or read him say that. He's definitely had an aversion to signing African players and if the reason is because of the ACON then tbh it's incredibly ignorant on his part and any other manager to agrees with that sentiment.

Yes the player is gone, yes it's inconvenient. But the average player will miss 2/4 games unless they reach the semi's/final and they'll miss 6. They won't be any more fatigued than if they were playing in the domestic league as most African countries have a time difference of ** and the stadiums aren't played at ridiculous altitudes either. There's no CL, no FA Cup games, and it's after Christmas break. There's still 3 months worth of football to be played after it finishes, it's not the deciding point in the season. And injuries can happen at any time even warm up for
And yet for Qatar it will be worked out.

I'm not sure you've presented any valid opposition to my suggestion and seem mainly to oppose it for the sake of not changing something.

You might not think the ACON causes disruption, and thats fine, buts its just your opinion and, even if that is how you feel, I cant really see why you'd oppose suggestions that would mitigate that even more.

murphs_law

Of course not. We are missing him for 2/3 weeks every 104 weeks. That's just like a small injury.
Will be over 5 weeks, 4 weeks of tournment and at least 10-14 days before hand.

Here is a window of a few weeks last season...

25 Nov UEFA Champions League PSV Eindhoven H 19:45 0 - 0 D
28 Nov Barclays Premier League Leicester City A 17:30 1 - 1 D

05 Dec Barclays Premier League West Ham United H 15:00 0 - 0 D
08 Dec UEFA Champions League Wolfsburg A 19:45 2 - 3 L
12 Dec Barclays Premier League Bournemouth A 17:30 1 - 2 L
19 Dec Barclays Premier League Norwich City H 15:00 1 - 2 L
26 Dec Barclays Premier League Stoke City A 12:45 0 - 2 L

Season destroyed, right there... 2 points out of 15 and out of the CL!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
And yet for Qatar it will be worked out.

I'm not sure you've presented any valid opposition to my suggestion and seem mainly to oppose it for the sake of not changing something.

You might not think the ACON causes disruption, and thats fine, buts its just your opinion and, even if that is how you feel, I cant really see why you'd oppose suggestions that would mitigate that even more.
I take your point and it could potentially be worked out. My whole stance comes from the overall lack of facts presented about the tournament. I don't oppose a change in time table if it's feasible, but I don't think it will be feasible long term. Qatar is a one off that's probably never going to happen again so changing the logistics of that tournament works out because it won't reoccur like ACON.

Skills

Snitch
Maybe we can convince him to do a Giggs and give the tournament a miss.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

It's a 3 week tournament with about a week's preparation before hand.

And what's the point in illustrating the busiest period of the calendar?
There aren't even CL games being held when ACON is on.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I haven't seen him, just a bit of youtube since yesterday. But splashing 32million on a CB not many have any idea about isn't a wise idea IMO especially when this is your first signing. Seeing us splash this amount will only increase asking price of other players we are interested in.
Add to that, he won't be available in January every alternate year. On one side, Barca are reported to be buying Umtiti for 26m euros, and on the other hand we are buying him for 40m euros. Not a wise move IMO

Akshay

Staff
Traveling and jet-lag are frequently cited as reasons for injury so I do think there's more risk than simply playing on in the PL. It's not simply a matter of games per pound of transfer fee either. You can only have so many players in a squad and if someone is to be a starting center half and a key piece of a defensive partnership then obviously you don't want them missing games. I suspect United would be willing to pay a small premium more for an otherwise equal player who didn't have to play in the ACON every 2 seasons.

Sigma

The african cup of nations lasts from 14 January to 5 February that's 22 days ~ 3 weeks. Also I take on board a few days before to train but the tournament is only 3 weeks if you get to the final, it could be much less if you don't make it out of the groups e.t.c.

massi83

Traveling and jet-lag are frequently cited as reasons for injury so I do think there's more risk than simply playing on in the PL. It's not simply a matter of games per pound of transfer fee either. You can only have so many players in a squad and if someone is to be a starting center half and a key piece of a defensive partnership then obviously you don't want them missing games. I suspect United would be willing to pay a small premium more for an otherwise equal player who didn't have to play in the ACON every 2 seasons.
He is flying first class and there isn't jet lag. Rest i do agree with.

Natener

Chelsea won the PL twice and City once in last of the 5 ACON years. I don't think it affects teams that great a deal.

murphs_law

It's a 3 week tournament with about a week's preparation before hand.

And what's the point in illustrating the busiest period of the calendar?
There aren't even CL games being held when ACON is on.
Are you actually suggesting that this month didn't matter or is it that you cant understand how important a month in football can be?

Sorry the 4 is a typo it was meant to be 3 weeks + 10 or 14 days being the 5.
And this was not our busiest period of the calander, we had 7 games in 26 days in febuary.

Rory 7

Jet lag shouldn't impact players if participating in the African Nations. Particularly if its in West Africa. Its the same time zone as Paris!

Ban

This.

Always a problem.

Sign an African player. AON.
Sign an Argentinian. Argies never work for us.
Sign a Brasilian. They're always homesick.
Sing a European. Is he PL proven.
Sing a PL proven players. Too expensive and can he work in a midfield 2.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Jet lag shouldn't impact players if participating in the African Nations. Particularly if its in West Africa. Its the same time zone as Paris!
It's not in the same time zone.:angel:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well I was in Senegal in February and was on the same time as Paris! That's West Africa ain't it?
If you were in senegal, you weren't on the same time zone, there is a 1 hour difference during the winter and 2 hours during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.