Eric Bailly | signs for Besiktas

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyrobus

I think he had 2 years left on his contract. We literally threw him away. :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is rarely mentioned when discussing our worst signings. Came for what was a high fee in 2016, hardly played since 2017, stealing a living and now leaving without a fee.

Yakuza_devils

Free transfer :D. This is his level now and we are lucky to get rid.

Even Telles got us some fees

Oranges038

Good news.

Such a weird player,calm one minute with a Cruyff turn in the box, the next he's scissor volleying it out under no pressure or his boot is flying past someones face.

Bertie Wooster

Glad to see he's leaving. Frustrating that we couldn't get any kind of a fee, but with his injury record, and regressing rather than improving as a player, then just good to at least get his wages off the books.

El Zoido

He is rarely mentioned when discussing our worst signings. Came for what was a high fee in 2016, hardly played since 2017, stealing a living and now leaving without a fee.
I think we all just keep forgetting he’s even here. Every time I see his name mentioned I have an “oh yeah, that guy” response. He’s like the footballer version of The Game.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
More wages shifted off the books. And another important message sent that there is no place for mediocrity at the club. Just from a purely psychological perspective it is important to shift out players like this. Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly, all shifted off this summer. 250k a week off the wage bill for three players who’d not have contributed a minute worth of play between them.

Telles gone too. VDB to follow soon presumably. So important not to have these profile of non contributing players hanging around.

Players like Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Elanga are different. Very limited players but always gave their all and were always available. Should be sold for value. Which is what seems is happening. Need to see some resolution on the Henderson situation too.

There’s a ruthlessness to how we’ve gone about the clear out this summer, that is reminiscent of SAF. It’ll permeate through the squad and help raise standards across the board.

Assuming all or most of those sales happen. We’ll see Sancho and Martial on the chopping block next summer unless they have really good seasons this year.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'll miss him and always enjoyed watching him play.

Certainly trouble with injuries but also not helped by having four different managers during his time. Two of whom were insistent on starting another player who is being moved on this summer for not being good enough.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Between 2016 and 2018, many people would convince themselves that if Mourinho picked a CB, it was the right decision. The man picked Bailly, Lindelof and Maguire, those players eventually cost the club close to 150m€, ignroing wages. :lol:

ThanksBoss26

Thought he looked good in his first season. Absolutely woeful since and his new contract was pretty much as bad as the one given to Jones.

Bojan Djordjic

More wages shifted off the books. And another important message sent that there is no place for mediocrity at the club. Just from a purely psychological perspective it is important to shift out players like this. Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly, all shifted off this summer. 250k a week off the wage bill for three players who’d not have contributed a minute worth of play between them.

Telles gone too. VDB to follow soon presumably. So important not to have these profile of non contributing players hanging around.

Players like Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Elanga are different. Very limited players but always gave their all and were always available. Should be sold for value. Which is what seems is happening. Need to see some resolution on the Henderson situation too.

There’s a ruthlessness to how we’ve gone about the clear out this summer, that is reminiscent of SAF. It’ll permeate through the squad and help raise standards across the board.

Assuming all or most of those sales happen. We’ll see Sancho and Martial on the chopping block next summer unless they have really good seasons this year.
Yeah, this is all true. Hard to push standards when you have lads like Bailly and Jones getting paid more than you and spend more time on the treatment table than on the training pitch (harsh given they can't help it but they've just been allowed to fester at United). We always look so toothless when the first team players are rotated so hopefully we can get to a stage where the squad players are fighting tooth and nail to get into the first team and the first teamers know they can't afford to drop standards.

Gandalf

I think he had 2 years left on his contract. We literally threw him away. :lol:
He had 1 year left I believe, signed a 3 year deal in 2021 which was the definition of a Woodward extension as he was already clearly not part of the future even at that point. Glad to see his wages gone, looking forward to the YouTube clips of his next sending off.

jadaba

I don't even mind if there's no fee, as @simonhch says it's more about raising the standard of the squad and making clear that Manchester United is not a place to lounge, that absence of quality will not be blindly rewarded. Great to see.

poleglass red

we've had so many players in recent years that are made of glass but also severely lack consistency. I'm not talking game to game consistency, I am talking over 90 mins . He could look a superstar for 20 mins then look woeful for next 50, then back to looking good. Him, Fred, Martial, even Pogba when he was here, could all show glimpses but rarely held it together for 90 mins. Good to see we are clearing out these types, it's hard to build a team when you've players you don't know what to expect from them.

Yakuza_devils

Consider us lucky not having to pay him off his remaining contract to leave let alone asking for a fees.

PieCrust

Not upset that he's gone, sends clear message to the squad that standards do in fact exist. But I'll be interested to see what the compensation looks like, whether it ends up being a fee, sell-on clause, performance based, etc. Can't imagine it's just a straight up free release.

ThanksBoss26

Move stalling according to Romano. Besiktas have bid for another Centre half but that has been rejected.

Imagine there’s maybe a bit of back and forth going on around the pay off to bridge the gap between his Besiktas wage and ours, a la Maguire. Either that or we’re trying to get a small fee from them.

Luckhurst pointed out yesterday he hasn’t even been given a squad number this season. Hopefully something goes through between now and the deadline, preferably asap.

Donut

His heading technique will go down in history, the only player who ducks and makes himself as small as possible when heading the ball.

tomaldinho1

Kind of shows how bad we’ve been that no one mentions him. Sanchez sits unassailable at the top of that list for me.

Bobski

Every so often he would pull out a performance that would be at an elite level, had all the tools, composure at times, agility, aggression, speed, strength, decent spring. Then the next week he would be a bomb scare, taking mad risks, doing bizarre stuff and his timing on headers was appalling. Fun to watch on his good days but insanely erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.