Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Nori-

He isn't a desperate buy at all, we've been after him for ages. Desperate buy is usually a signing during the last few days of the transfer window.
"Desperation buy" to me implies a lack of time/options forcing you to buy someone. If the Dier links prove to be true then it strikes me more as a straightforward bad buy.
When I said a desperate buy a meant over paying for a average player, but there aren't many options out there. Personally I'd go for Fabinho, cheaper and looks better. Anyone else but Matic though :nono:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Squad player at best. Miles behind Pogba / Herrera. God knows why we would pay £50 million. There's bound to be a better CM available for that price - or can't we just buy a cheaper squadie?
I hope these bloody players work out, the amount of money Jose is spending on Dier/Perisic.
Dier seems to make some stupid decisions at times as well. I am never impressed by him. What the hell do we see in him for all that money?!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The only good thing about signing him is that if we have our usual defensive injury crisis he could play in defence.
We have Blind for that..
Anyway, better make peace with this as Jose wants him it seems.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The one signing that I don't want.
Not worth the money being branded about and very one-dimensional. Sure, he has one job and he focuses on that one job - but just doesn't seem technically gifted enough to go hand in hand with it.

Just seems very limited.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Wish all the people dead set against Dier would put forward a viable alternative, rather than 'he's not good enough'

Saf94

Not worth the money being branded about and very one-dimensional. Sure, he has one job and he focuses on that one job - but just doesn't seem technically gifted enough to go hand in hand with it.

Just seems very limited.
Kante isn't technical, neither is Wanyama. In fact our DM doesn't need to be technical at all, this won't be a Carrick replacement it will be a pure defensive shield and ball winner. Dier was outstanding at doing those roles the season before last when Spurs came 3rd. The biggest question mark is what happened last season and why he fell out of favour. If he can regain the 2 seasons ago form he'd be a class signing

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Just seems very limited.
Everytime i've seen him he's looked to have decent technique and a decent range of passing. :confused:

Saf94

Schneiderlin also did that and wasn't anywhere near good enough. I'm not even sure Dier is much better than him.
Schneirderlin wasn't even a DM when we signed him, he played as a box to box for Southampton. Dier is completely different, he played the exact role we'd play him in (defensive tip of midfield in a 433)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's the point. He will hold and protect the back four.

Football isn't about non stop glamorous signings.
All for signing an unglamorous DM to let others shine. That isn't the same as signing a unglamorous CB who sometimes masquerades as a DM though.

Wish all the people dead set against Dier would put forward a viable alternative, rather than 'he's not good enough'
I've seen us linked to three other signings for that position (Matic, Fabinho, Weigl) all of whom I'd prefer. Are none of them viable options?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Just seems very limited.
Apart from the exceptional standouts - Alonso, Cambiasso, Busquets etc - technical proficiency isn't something we usually associate with defendive mids.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Schneirderlin wasn't even a DM when we signed him, he played as a box to box for Southampton. Dier is completely different, he played the exact role we'd play him in (defensive tip of midfield in a 433)
Fair enough, Schneiderlin also seemed very weak mentally and wasn't cut out for a big club, at least with Dier I can't see him hiding on the pitch.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
@GlastonSpur Seriously speaking how highly do you rate Dier, everytime i have seen him (mainly for England) he hasn't not impressed me one bit?

FujiVice

In what way is he limited, may I ask? I keep hearing that he's "limited"? I've watched a lot of Spurs and limited isnt the word I'd use for him. He seems to do most things at least well, and is good in two positions. You can make an argument whether he's the right type of player for what we should be going for, but limited certainly isnt a word I'd use to describe him.

RonaldoVII

I know international football is never a good barometer but he has largely been shite for England, especially against Scotland recently.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
The biggest question mark is what happened last season and why he fell out of favour
What do you mean fell out of favour? He started 34 of the 37 league matches he was available for and 5 of 5 in the CL.

Tiber

I know international football is never a good barometer but he has largely been shite for England, especially against Scotland recently.
Always scores for England in my current FM save tho! Proflic for a DM! :p

Nick7

I would like us to get him. Think he's a strong player and would fit in well here. Don't think Spurs will sell though

Womp

idiot
I hope these bloody players work out, the amount of money Jose is spending on Dier/Perisic.
Dier seems to make some stupid decisions at times as well. I am never impressed by him. What the hell do we see in him for all that money?!
So does Herrera, Pogba, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, Martial. Basically half our squad, he'll fit right in.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most would probably want Fabinho. Personally, I'm indifferent. I don't see Levy selling to a rival unless we offer silly money, but if the manager wants him and there's a chance to get him, we should.

Same with Perisic. I'm not crazy about either player, let alone the money it will cost, but who am I! :lol:

leontas

Didn't Pogba school him in a recent friendly? But then again, Pogba schooled most of that England team that day.

Womp

idiot
Most would probably want Fabinho. Personally, I'm indifferent. I don't see Levy selling to a rival unless we offer silly money, but if the manager wants him and there's a chance to get him, we should.

Same with Perisic. I'm not crazy about either player, let alone the money it will cost, but who am I! :lol:
I'd prefer Fabinho too, but he's obviously not the type of DM we are looking at. He gets forward quite a bit. We could be looking for a DM to just sit in front of the defence and allow Pogba/Herrera to get much further forward.

Saf94

What do you mean fell out of favour? He started 34 of the 37 league matches he was available for and 5 of 5 in the CL.
Poor wording, meant he was not the preferred option for DM. He played most of the season as a CB in a 3 man defence if im not mistaken. Wanyama was greatly preferred as the DM

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why we are briefing we think we can sign him. All the journos on tour with the club have gone with this story.
Maybe, Spurs are saying one thing in private and another in public.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My expectations are at least rock bottom to this potential transfer. It's not like I can be disappointed if he turns out shite

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
---------Bailly---Rojo------
Valencia-----Dier----Perisic
------Herrera---Pogba------
---Mkhi-----------Rashford
------------Lukaku---------

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'd prefer Fabinho too, but he's obviously not the type of DM we are looking at. He gets forward quite a bit. We could be looking for a DM to just sit in front of the defence and allow Pogba/Herrera to get much further forward.
Aye, it seems to be the case and I think you're right. If you hear who were linked with mostly (Matic and Dier), it seems we're looking for what you're describing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Poor wording, meant he was not the preferred option for DM. He played most of the season as a CB in a 3 man defence if im not mistaken. Wanyama was greatly preferred as the DM

I think that was because they had CB injuries - not because Wanyama was preferred.