Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

davidmichael

Seen we're linked with him again tomorrow in the papers and we've been linked with him quite a bit over the past few months, we're obviously in the market for a defensive midfielder so what do you all think of Dier ?

Personally he reminds me of a bit of Owen Hargreaves in that he just does all the defensive things and allows the more attack minded players for their thing, could be a perfect foil to allow Herrera and Pogba do their thing further up field and releasing them from a lot of the defensive shackles due to needing to cover Carrick's legs.

Different type of defensive player to Carrick but Dier has international and Champions League experience to go with being an established Premier League star but then Carrick was different to Roy Keane, the chances of getting a like for like long term replacement for Carrick is very minimal seeing as Verratti and Busquets are the only real ones right now experienced enough.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Away from him being a block-headed cnut, I don't think he's very good. They don't really play in the same position either but I think Winks has more about him in terms of potential ability.

saivet

I think his passing is actually half decent. Not Carrick standard or the likes, but better than your average DM.

Bwuk

I like him, but it's his Spurs counter part we should of been after last summer (Wanyama)

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No thanks.

United Pro

Which paper links us? From what I can see, the source of these rumours is the Sun and they aren't reliable at all.

Bojan11

He's not a very good CB. Certainly not better than Jones or Smalling.

He's definitely not good enough for us as a CM.

Champagne Football

Would absolutely love him here. He's top top drawer. An player who would improve us greatly in midfield. But why would Levy sell one of his best players to us? Doesn't make sense. Surely Spurs wil laugh at us trying to bid for him? Especially if we don't end up with CL football and Spuds pretty much already qualified in top 4

Fridge chutney

I rate him very highly. Technical, defensive, has the markings of a leader. Don't see Levy selling him though.

Bwuk

Would absolutely love him here. He's top top drawer. An player who would improve us greatly in midfield. But why would Levy sell one of his best players to us? Doesn't make sense. Surely Spurs wil laugh at us trying to bid for him? Especially if we don't end up with CL football and Spuds pretty much already qualified in top 4
Does he even get a game in midfield anymore? Thought there first choice was Wanyama and Dembele.

Blind

I don't think he's that good, Wanyama is doing a better job this season in defensive midfield but doesn't get the same kind of praise because he's not English.

Champagne Football

I don't think he's that good, Wanyama is doing a better job this season in defensive midfield but doesn't get the same kind of praise because he's not English.
I prefer Dier myself. He's got a lot more to his game than Wanyama and has a half decent free kick on him too. Wanyama has been great and he would have been great here too if Moyes hadn't been such a dithering dave but I think Dier knows how to control the tempo better and seems to be positionally and technically better too. He has a way of making the essentials of central midfield look simple similar to how Carrick does.

Blind

I prefer Dier myself. He's got a lot more to his game than Wanyama and has a half decent free kick on him too. Wanyama has been great and he would have been great here too if Moyes hadn't been such a dithering dave but I think Dier knows how to control the tempo better and seems to be positionally and technically better too. He has a way of making the essentials of central midfield look simple similar to how Carrick does.
When I've watched Spurs recently he looks awkward on the ball at times and makes John Stones like decisions that lead to chances for the opposition. I know that's not as a defensive midfielder but I don't see a player that's going to become one of the best midfielders in the league that some people seem to.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
He is not very good. Makes costly mistakes and he is not any sort of improvement on what we have currently(even in the mistakes department alone).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Underwhelming. Would we even be linked if he was not English?

WhoDaGOAT

I think a lot of people don't like him because of the Herrera incident, and probably because of Glaston. :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
...and because he has a name befitting the host of a gardening programme.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'll gladly keep him. Great young player with great attitude and ability.

Mike09

Surprised how not many United fans in Red Cafe want Dier especially given the situation of the club that we need a new defensive mid or no6. I'll take him now.

Womp

idiot
Surprised how not many United fans in Red Cafe want Dier especially given the situation of the club that we need a new defensive mid or no6. I'll take him now.
Given how hard Levy is to negotiate with, a player would have to be truly special to make it worthwhile, which Dier isn't. We could get better for cheaper and easier.

gajender

I do agree we need a defensive midfielder urgently but we have to ensure that he is of requisite quality and not someone who might need replacing after one season like some of our transfers of late.

If Dier is of required quality with scope to improve further then I have no problem with this transfer but whatever little I have seen of him I don't think he would improve our team greatly.

Mike09

Given how hard Levy is to negotiate with, a player would have to be truly special to make it worthwhile, which Dier isn't. We could get better for cheaper and easier.
That's different story. If you read the comments above, most of them are complaining because he's not good and him being a ''block-headed cnut'' (sorry but this is just a quote that I took from someone above).

Mike09

I do agree we need a defensive midfielder urgently but we have to ensure that he is of requisite quality and not someone who might need replacing after one season like some of our transfers of late.

If Dier is of required quality with scope to improve further then I have no problem with this transfer but whatever little I have seen of him I don't think he would improve our team greatly.
I don't think he's worse than Fabinho. And a lot of people in here want Fabinho.

gajender

I don't think he's worse than Fabinho. And a lot of people in here want Fabinho.
I haven't seen Fabinho play either but I do place greater trust in Mourinho's judgement regarding transfers than our two earlier managers , so if he thinks and that's a big if that Dier is some one who can improve and play a pivotal role for our team in reaching our former glories than I have no issues with that.

Laphroaig

I don't believe this rumour at all. He's not a midfielder and he's not a centre back, and I suspect our scouts and management aren't stupid.

ti vu

He's worse than Fabinho. Physical attribute may be not. Tactical discipline, understanding, effectiveness in the role, Fabinho is no brainer.

Fazer

if we are after a DM, why not go for Romeu from Southampton?
Big and strong and technically good.