g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lol .... we've just posted record revenues for 2016 (up by 7% from 2015), with yet another annual profit (pre-tax £33m from pre-tax £9.4m the previous year).

I'm afraid you're indulging in wishful thinking. Levy's email to City Hall is just him putting the squeeze on the local authority.
I've not followed this at all. So I might be wildly off the mark. But are you confident going into a stadium build like Arsenal, only that it now will cost a lot more because your record annual revenues are like 4% of the cost of the stadium (disclaimer: did not read anything other than your comment and thegregster's)?

Zlatattack

If it wasn't for the fact we'll be fleeced by Levy I think Spurs have the solution to all our problems. Alderweireld, Dier, Alli, Kane. Unfortunately nothing short of a disaster at WHL would ever allow us to get our hands on those 4.

I kind of hope Spurs keep a hold of them too, they've lost too many players to the bigger clubs over the years.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I've not followed this at all. So I might be wildly off the mark. But are you confident going into a stadium build like Arsenal, only that it now will cost a lot more because your record annual revenues are like 4% of the cost of the stadium (disclaimer: did not read anything other than your comment and thegregster's)?
Say what? For 2016 our revenue was £210m (it will go up again for this current year) ... that's a lot more than 4% of the stadium complex cost.

But to answer your question: yes I'm confident about Spurs finances and the new stadium. Levy is one of the best in the business when it comes to such deals.

cyberman

Lol .... we've just posted record revenues for 2016 (up by 7% from 2015), with yet another annual profit (profit for the year after interest and tax was £33.0m, compared to £9.4m for 2015).

I'm afraid you're indulging in wishful thinking. Levy's email to City Hall is just him putting the squeeze on the local authority.
You might want to look up the definition of wishful thinking buddy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Say what? For 2016 our revenue was £210m (it will go up again for this current year) ... that's a lot more than 4% of the stadium complex cost.

But to answer your question: yes I'm confident about Spurs finances and the new stadium. Levy is one of the best in the business when it comes to such deals.
Like I said, I knew nothing. Just going off those two comments. So you are better situated than Arsenal a decade or so ago when they bought the Emirates for what, 300m? I'm sure you learn from the experience of your neighbours.

MadMike

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. Spurs are a far better team than ourselves at present and were also last year.

He'd improve the team significantly and would provide a good partner for Pogba. £40m is a bargain for him in my view.
Sorry, but that's a terrible post in general.

Why would you judge an individual based solely on the team? Sure Spurs are better at the moment, as a team, but that doesn't mean that every player they have is great, or that they are better than us in every single position across the park, or that every player in their squad is CL quality. They got taught an absolute lesson in Europe this season, you seem to forget that.

He is the weakest player in their starting XI and the most immediately expendable. He is not even a guaranteed starter, depending on the formation they choose to play. He is either a 3rd CB or a 3rd MF but not good enough to displace their best players in either position.

£40m for Dier is about £15m-£20m above his value, which is the exact opposite of a bargain. He is a valuable tool, but not a starter.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If it wasn't for the fact we'll be fleeced by Levy I think Spurs have the solution to all our problems. Alderweireld, Dier, Alli, Kane. Unfortunately nothing short of a disaster at WHL would ever allow us to get our hands on those 4.

I kind of hope Spurs keep a hold of them too, they've lost too many players to the bigger clubs over the years.
You're essentially saying, "I hope it's harder to finish Top 4 for us".

If Spurs won't pay their talent what other clubs want to, they'll lose them, it's that simple.

Matt Le Tissier was an anomaly, not the norm, and you don't get a team full of players like that.

I'd imagine it's very likely that within 3 transfer windows (this Summer, next Xmas and the following Summer) Spurs will lose all 3 of Kane, Alli and Dier.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Why would you judge an individual based solely on the team? Sure Spurs are better at the moment, as a team, but that doesn't mean that every player they have is great, or that they are better than us in every single position across the park, or that every player in their squad is CL quality. They got taught an absolute lesson in Europe this season, you seem to forget that.

He is the weakest player in their starting XI and the most immediately expendable. He is not even a guaranteed starter, depending on the formation they choose to play. He is either a 3rd CB or a 3rd MF but not good enough to displace their best players in either position.

£40m for Dier is about £15m-£20m above his value, which is the exact opposite of a bargain. He is a valuable tool, but not a starter.
He is a guaranteed starter for us and as previously stated he is one of the most valuable (to the manager) players in our squad due to his ability to play 3 positions.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Forgetting the money, he would be a decent buy, although wouldn't be a fan favourite for a few years.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Please, please, please sign Eric Dier-Dier. :D

Or should that be Eric Dier-o-Dier? ;)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Lol .... we've just posted record revenues for 2016 (up by 7% from 2015), with yet another annual profit (profit for the year after interest and tax was £33.0m, compared to £9.4m for 2015).

The rise in construction costs is a serious blow to Spurs.

Can't be denied.

20% rise is costs of materials.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Can't be denied.

You are assuming of course that costs such as that had not already been agreed prior to the increase in price. Neither you nor me can have any idea what the terms of the contract is or if any of this will have an impact on any part of it. It's all conjecture.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
A question on this though will Poch be given money to invest in the squad?
It's an interesting one.

Levy's notoriously good with cash, or 'tight' as some say (unfairly, I think), and I really don't think he'll have enjoyed spending £50m on Sissoko and Janssen to see them both literally sit on the bench (in Janssen's case, he's on the bench with Kane injured...).

Stuff like this doesn't get talked about so much by fans (with all clubs), but behind the scenes, these are the real issues I believe.

Likewise with Spurs wage bill (as I talked about in previous post), their fans seem to be in denial, but the reality is that unless they literally smash their wage structure with almost immediate effect, they will lose their best players in this current day and age.

In the PL alone, there are 4 teams who can offer their players more money - Utd, Chelsea, City, Arse - and then there's Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG.

With all that talent, and such low wages, this Spurs side will be dismantled quickly unless Levy decides to join the big boys - which he might, he's an interesting character and obviously very ambitious.

But yeah, new signings for them will be interesting.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You might want to look up the definition of wishful thinking buddy.
Not when I've just quoted actual figures for club revenue and profit, and not when the last star player from Spurs sold to a Prem rival was almost a decade ago. It's clear that the wishful thinking comes from those who think Spurs will be forced into selling their best players.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... the reality is that unless they literally smash their wage structure with almost immediate effect, they will lose their best players in this current day and age ...
I'm afraid this doesn't square with the fact that virtually all of our best players have recently signed new, long-term contracts.

thegregster

Not when I've just quoted actual figures for club revenue and profit, and not when the last star player from Spurs sold to a Prem rival was almost a decade ago. It's clear that the wishful thinking comes from those who think Spurs will be forced into selling their best players.
The stadium costs are £800mil and rising.

Also the rest of the project was supposed to cost between £250-300mil.No doubt this will have to be revised upwards and upwards. What do you reckon the whole thing is costing?

Seems a big spend to me.

SammyUnited_83

I don't think they will be forced, with the TV money pretty much any club in the Premier League can stand firm (and there are plenty of cases to show this).

Every player has a price though.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You are assuming of course that costs such as that had not already been agreed prior to the increase in price. Neither you nor me can have any idea what the terms of the contract is or if any of this will have an impact on any part of it. It's all conjecture.
Yes. All of the risk factors - re. changing exchange rates, changes in commodity prices etc. - will have been taken care of in various ways, including through insurance policies.

SammyUnited_83

I'm afraid this doesn't square with the fact that virtually all of our best players have recently signed new, long-term contracts.
Long-term contracts don't mean anything other than protecting the club from losing a player for less than the market value.

I think the press quoted Kane as getting £100k a week, if someone offers him £250k don't you think Spurs will have to up it again - will you be prepared to have 4/6 players on £200k a week? If so fair enough.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The stadium costs are £800mil and rising.

Also the rest of the project was supposed to cost between £250-300mil.No doubt this will have to be revised upwards and upwards. What do you reckon the whole thing is costing?

Seems a big spend to me.
The £800m figure, regardless of its accuracy, is for the whole complex/project, not just the stadium.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Long-term contracts don't mean anything other than protecting the club from losing a player for less than the market value.

I think the press quoted Kane as getting £100k a week, if someone offers him £250k don't you think Spurs will have to up it again - will you be prepared to have 4/6 players on £200k a week? If so fair enough.
Not true. They also mean the club can simply refuse to sell a player without any especial loss of market value.

SammyUnited_83

Yes. All of the risk factors - re. changing exchange rates, changes in commodity prices etc. - will have been taken care of in various ways, including through insurance policies.
Hugely presumptive post.

You simply can't take care of all the risk factors, otherwise it would be risk free.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Can't be denied.

All of this will have been hedged against prior to contract signings - Levy is not an idiot.

M Bison

Supports
York City

We'll agree to disagree.

Granted he's been less important a player for them this year than last, but in both seasons him as an individual has played well and contributed to what is a very good spurs side and one which is far superior to ourselves and has been for the past few years. I agree they were poor in Europe but similarly to your criticism of my post, surely thats not entirely down to him?

For me, Dier would be a starter in our team without a question and based on the form of our current CM's would probably be our best CM.

What i find bizarre is that we think that a player moving from Spurs to ourselves is a step-up and we question whether they will be able to handle such a move. We are a bigger club, granted, but not a better team and hence why i think Dier would be a very good player for us.

SammyUnited_83

Not true. They also mean the club can simply refuse to sell a player without any especial loss of market value.
Yes, as I have stated above in a previous post, that the club can stand firm. But ultimately the power is still with the player and we all know a contract means jack shit if the player wants to leave (I'm not saying Dier does). Then it comes down to a business decision and screwing the buying club for the best transfer fee.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Hugely presumptive post.

You simply can't take care of all the risk factors, otherwise it would be risk free.
You can mitigate against unexpected construction cost increases in a variety of ways: Levy studied Economics and Land Management at Cambridge, so I expect he's familiar with most of them.

What's happening here is just a bunch of United football fans, who want to sign various Spurs players, doing their best to dream up fantasy scenarios in which Spurs are somehow in financial trouble and so forced to sell their stars to United. None of it is real and none of it will happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
All of this will have been hedged against prior to contract signings - Levy is not an idiot.
Yep. If you knew you had large purchases in certain currencies, you'd hedge your position by getting a forward contract. Especially in an environment like this.

thegregster

Spurs have admitted costs are rising.

This is a fact.

No builder would sign a contract for such a big development on a fixed cost basis.

cyberman

The wishful thinking part is your opinion that Levy is just putting pressure on the local authority. 20% rise in costs is a huge number no matter what excuses are brought forward as to why it's not.

POF

Block-headed cnut. Remember when he said this before we beat Spurs at home.

And he had a great view from the bench.

Lost his place in midfield to Wanyama. He isn't good enough to play in midfield or at centre back for United.

The only reason I can see for Jose wanting to sign him is the lumps he kicked out of Chelsea players last season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is there rumours we're after Dier? I'm unsure he has the quality required to get us to where we want to be. Plus he's scared of Herrera.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
......But why would Levy sell one of his best players to us? .....
He is currently a squad player who they can comfortably sale for a good fee and possibly replace with an even better player who would be a starter else where in their team. They won't have to sale but I'm sure they'd consider it if some club tested the waters.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs have admitted costs are rising.

This is a fact.

No builder would sign a contract for such a big development on a fixed cost basis.
There are materials suppliers (for steel etc.) separate to builders. There are forward contracts for commodities. There are insurance companies who insure against associated risks. There are various ways of mitigating against cost increases.