Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'm afraid this doesn't square with the fact that virtually all of our best players have recently signed new, long-term contracts.
Cmon mate, this just means Levy is making sure he gets top prices when they leave. It doesn't mean X player is going to be with club for length of contract.

And that goes for all clubs, and you know this really.

Long-term contracts don't mean anything other than protecting the club from losing a player for less than the market value.

I think the press quoted Kane as getting £100k a week, if someone offers him £250k don't you think Spurs will have to up it again - will you be prepared to have 4/6 players on £200k a week? If so fair enough.
Exactly.

Not true. They also mean the club can simply refuse to sell a player without any especial loss of market value.
And get the reputation as a club to avoid for the level of player you're able to sign...? And create dressing room situations...?

Nah.

The sale of Alli and Kane could make Levy around £150m. That's a huge profit, and men like Levy love profit.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is currently a squad player who they can comfortably sale for a good fee and possibly replace with an even better player who would be a starter else where in their team. They won't have to sale but I'm sure they'd consider it.
He is currently a first team player who is extremely valuable to the squad due to his ability to play 3 positions. Who could we get that would be better and also give us the same versatility in the same age bracket? I cant think of too many.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The wishful thinking part is your opinion that Levy is just putting pressure on the local authority. 20% rise in costs is a huge number no matter what excuses are brought forward as to why it's not.
You really are naïve.

When it comes to economics Levy is probably the best qualified club chair in the business. He's also a highly experienced and very competent negotiator. And this kind of project is not only his forte, it's also something he's been planning for at Spurs for many, many years.

But have it your way if you wish: Levy, the amateur, has stumbled and bumbled, blind-sided and bedazzled, into a financial black hole and woe is Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... And get the reputation as a club to avoid for the level of player you're able to sign...? And create dressing room situations...?

Nah.

The sale of Alli and Kane could make Levy around £150m. That's a huge profit, and men like Levy love profit.
I heard all this nonsense when Modric was held to his contract and then later forced to go abroad rather than to a Prem club. But it didn't stop Lloris or Eriksen or Aldweireld (etc etc) from signing up.

The truth is that there are many excellent players and/or prospects who are/will be eager to sign for Spurs.

gza the genius

Having never seen Fabinho or Gueye play - I'd prefer those two over Dier.

But honestly, as others have said, the hassle of getting him from Spurs and dealing with Levy would not be worth it. I do like him as a player but he'd cost a ton and I think we could make easier deals for better players.

MadMike

We'll agree to disagree.

Granted he's been less important a player for them this year than last, but in both seasons him as an individual has played well and contributed to what is a very good spurs side and one which is far superior to ourselves and has been for the past few years. I agree they were poor in Europe but similarly to your criticism of my post, surely thats not entirely down to him?

For me, Dier would be a starter in our team without a question and based on the form of our current CM's would probably be our best CM.

What i find bizarre is that we think that a player moving from Spurs to ourselves is a step-up and we question whether they will be able to handle such a move. We are a bigger club, granted, but not a better team and hence why i think Dier would be a very good player for us.
We'll have to agree to disagree indeed, because I don't even think he would play in CM the current team, let alone be the best one.

EDIT: And "far superior" is a ridiculous exaggeration of Tottenham's state. Better yes, far superior, no. We've won a cup (2 in the last 2 years) and are still in Europe. They've won nothing and are out of Europe, but because they are 7 (or 4 if we win our game in hand) points ahead in the league, they are "far superior"? Please :wenger:

Last edited:

ghagua

He is a decent player, but if we are to reach our goals, we need to aim a lot higher, or aim for someone with a lot more potential than what Dier has shown.

SammyUnited_83

I heard all this nonsense when Modric was held to his contract and then later forced to go abroad rather than to a Prem club. But it didn't stop Lloris or Eriksen or Aldweireld (etc etc) from signing up.

The truth is that there are many excellent players and/or prospects who are/will be eager to sign for Spurs.
Forced to go abroad to Real Madrid?! Please.

SammyUnited_83

You can mitigate against unexpected construction cost increases in a variety of ways: Levy studied Economics and Land Management at Cambridge, so I expect he's familiar with most of them.

What's happening here is just a bunch of United football fans, who want to sign various Spurs players, doing their best to dream up fantasy scenarios in which Spurs are somehow in financial trouble and so forced to sell their stars to United. None of it is real and none of it will happen.
I'm not saying Spurs are in financial trouble, or dreaming up scenarios to sign your best players. I think at this point it remains highly unlikely that Spurs will sell / your best players want to leave.

However, you are living in a fantasy world if you think that because Kane signed a contract he wouldn't ask to leave if the right offer came along. If City said here is £300k a week, would Spurs match it? If they did would they be prepared to hand that out to their other 4 best players? If not, then unless you start winning things, they will head off at some point (and before you jump down my throat, not necessarily Utd).

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not saying Spurs are in financial trouble, or dreaming up scenarios to sign your best players. I think at this point it remains highly unlikely that Spurs will sell / your best players want to leave.

However, you are living in a fantasy world if you think that because Kane signed a contract he wouldn't ask to leave if the right offer came along. If City said here is £300k a week, would Spurs match it? If they did would they be prepared to hand that out to their other 4 best players? If not, then unless you start winning things, they will head off at some point (and before you jump down my throat, not necessarily Utd).
A ton of 'if's' there mate.

WhoDaGOAT

Spurs will be able to hold on to their English contingent so long as the club is moving in the right direction, which it currently is.

Living in London and playing under Pochettino make it worthwhile for now.

They do need to win a trophy soon though. This season's FA Cup would a good start. It's going to be very difficult.

SammyUnited_83

A ton of 'if's' there mate.
Just the one then.

If, someone came in for Kane (which is likely at some point) what would happen when that deal is significantly higher than what he gets at Spurs, let's face it £100k a week is hardly fantastic money nowadays for one of the top players.

Would you match it, knowing full well, the next 4 players will want the same.

Robertd0803

But honestly, as others have said, the hassle of getting him from Spurs and dealing with Levy would not be worth it. I do like him as a player but he'd cost a ton and I think we could make easier deals for better players.
True but at some stage we will have to deal with Levy again you would imagine.

Forced to go abroad to Real Madrid?! Please.
Pretty much the case, he had wanted to leave the summer before for Chelsea but Spurs wouldn't even consider it by all accounts.

Id really like Dier based off last season, but haven't seen a huge amount of him this season to be honest so not too sure on this one.

SammyUnited_83

Not forced to sign for RM, but forced to go abroad.

Chelski (and other Prem clubs) wanted him - Levy said no.
Great you forced him to go to Madrid, you still lost the player FFS, one you wanted to keep.

As I have said, I'm not here to wind Spurs fans up to say, Utd are bigger etc etc, I don't really give a shite.

But your statement above just backs up what I said, if the player wants to go they will go - in this case, as with Bale, when Madrid come knocking it's hardly a back slapping transfer deal for Levy, as the player will only ever choose one club.

Chelsea v Madrid hmmmm.

SammyUnited_83

True but at some stage we will have to deal with Levy again you would imagine.

Pretty much the case, he had wanted to leave the summer before for Chelsea but Spurs wouldn't even consider it by all accounts.

Id really like Dier based off last season, but haven't seen a huge amount of him this season to be honest so not too sure on this one.
The notion he was forced abroad is utter bollocks.

They stopped him from joining Chelsea, they still lost one of their best players, regardless.

The player still forced a move.

It's hardly a statement of intent, it still proves they are a selling club and it still proves the player has the power.

All clubs are the same.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just the one then.

If, someone came in for Kane (which is likely at some point) what would happen when that deal is significantly higher than what he gets at Spurs, let's face it £100k a week is hardly fantastic money nowadays for one of the top players.

Would you match it, knowing full well, the next 4 players will want the same.
I think we would up his contract to something close to what he was being offered, if he told the club he was considering the offer yeah. Talking hypotheticals here of course, Kane appears to be very happy at the club and has said he hopes to stay here his entire career provided the club continues to improve. So the onus is on the club to keep moving forward, which thankfully we are doing. If we keep improving then I'm sure the players will be more than content to stay here.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think we would up his contract to something close to what he was being offered, if he told the club he was considering the offer yeah. Talking hypotheticals here of course, Kane appears to be very happy at the club and has said he hopes to stay here his entire career provided the club continues to improve. So the onus is on the club to keep moving forward, which thankfully we are doing. If we keep improving then I'm sure the players will be more than content to stay here.
If some club offers him 250-300k per week, can Spurs offer him something close to that? If Kane will get sold, it would be for a world record (or close to it) so likely the wages would be on that range too.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If some club offers him 250-300k per week, can Spurs offer him something close to that? If Kane will get sold, it would be for a world record (or close to it) so likely the wages would be on that range too.
Again with the if's. Listen we can invent all sorts of situations that may or may not occur at some point in the future and debate about what might happen. Lets stick to the reality of the current situation shall we. We all know every player has his price, thats part of the game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

They stopped him from joining Chelsea,
they still lost one of their best players, regardless.

It's hardly a statement of intent, it still proves they are a selling club and it still proves the player has the power.

All clubs are the same.

You say it is utter bollocks yet on the very next line you accept the club stopped him from moving to a domestic club. Something doesnt compute here.

Revan

Assumptionman
Again with the if's. Listen we can invent all sorts of situations that may or may not occur at some point in the future and debate about what might happen. Lets stick to the reality of the current situation shall we. We all know every player has his price, thats part of the game.
You deviated from the question (which was directly related to your previous claim).

And to be fair, it is a very realistic scenario. If some club comes for him (especially if it is an English club), likely it would be an 80m+ offer with wages of 250k+ per week. I have no idea if that would be tempting enough for Spurs and Kane to part, but if some club is interesting on him, the numbers would be very close to that. Surely, they won't offer just 150k/week or so, just look at how much are payed the top players in the league.

GazTheLegend

I think Glastonspur is correct in this case; nowadays Daniel Levy had moved away from selling players to other premier league clubs for huge fees and now
operates by getting all tottenhams first team players on long term contracts with a view that they'll only ever be sold abroad for ridiculous money IF they're any good.

He won't do business with us. He could have sold us Bale or Modric but he chose to send them abroad instead. Sure, Kane or Dier or Delli Alli could kick up a fuss to
leave, as Payet did with West Ham but somehow he's tied them to 5 year deals for essentially mediocre (for their level of ability) wages.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's best mates with Alli, not sure he'd come. I happily take him if he says yes, though. No bullshit player, can a job here.

tomaldinho1

Really don't like him. Think he's ok but I've never thought he was anything more than a 'good' player. Would say Wanyama and Dembele both better for us and more needed players IMO

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You deviated from the question (which was directly related to your previous claim).

And to be fair, it is a very realistic scenario. If some club comes for him (especially if it is an English club), likely it would be an 80m+ offer with wages of 250k+ per week. I have no idea if that would be tempting enough for Spurs and Kane to part, but if some club is interesting on him, the numbers would be very close to that. Surely, they won't offer just 150k/week or so, just look at how much are payed the top players in the league.
I already said what I thought - yes I believe they would come close to matching it.

SammyUnited_83

You say it is utter bollocks yet on the very next line you accept the club stopped him from moving to a domestic club. Something doesnt compute here.
I'm not arguing about the fact (in this instance) you stopped him from joining a domestic rival. You might have delayed his move, Madrid then wanted him and as the player wants to move, he can then decide where he wants to go - it's just worked out well for Levy that Real wanted him because it then becomes a easy decision for the player.

It's bollocks to think that the top 4/6 won't sell to each other, yes, we will try to avoid it, delay it, probably say give us one more year, but ultimately our best players will attract bids from the best clubs in Europe and then it easier to sell wantaway players.

If Dier / a player of his level wanted to leave, will he get a bigger club than Utd wanting him, like Modric, Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez? No. In which case, like it or not, the player will leave.

SammyUnited_83

I think Glastonspur is correct in this case; nowadays Daniel Levy had moved away from selling players to other premier league clubs for huge fees and now
operates by getting all tottenhams first team players on long term contracts with a view that they'll only ever be sold abroad for ridiculous money IF they're any good.

He won't do business with us. He could have sold us Bale or Modric but he chose to send them abroad instead. Sure, Kane or Dier or Delli Alli could kick up a fuss to
leave, as Payet did with West Ham but somehow he's tied them to 5 year deals for essentially mediocre (for their level of ability) wages.
He didn't need to, both players wanted to go to Madrid, regardless of which domestic clubs were interested.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not arguing about the fact (in this instance) you stopped him from joining a domestic rival. You might have delayed his move, Madrid then wanted him and as the player wants to move, he can then decide where he wants to go - it's just worked out well for Levy that Real wanted him because it then becomes a easy decision for the player.

It's bollocks to think that the top 4/6 won't sell to each other, yes, we will try to avoid it, delay it, probably say give us one more year, but ultimately our best players will attract bids from the best clubs in Europe and then it easier to sell wantaway players.

If Dier / a player of his level wanted to leave, will he get a bigger club than Utd wanting him, like Modric, Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez? No. In which case, like it or not, the player will leave.
Why on earth would a player like Dier want to leave Spurs to go to Utd at the moment? Honest question.

SammyUnited_83

Why on earth would a player like Dier want to leave Spurs to go to Utd at the moment? Honest question.
At this point, honestly, I couldn't make a case for it, unless the player is a die hard Utd fan and his dream is to play for us. However, IF we managed to qualify for the Champions League, then yes, I think it becomes a serious question for the player, as (and I'm sure the bookies odds will reflect this) we will be one of the favourites for the title for the 17/18 season, more so than Tottenham (on paper), because we do / can attract the top players and do pay the cash.

Just to reiterate, I'm not questioning Spurs and their ambition, just the bullishness from the poster above who seems to think that Levy is this all powerful transfer warlord, who always get's his way. He doesn't, he was just lucky that the best players you had, attracted Madrid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He isn't even good enough player. For some reason limited players are rated highly by few on Caf.

Robertd0803

They stopped him from joining Chelsea, they still lost one of their best players, regardless.

All clubs are the same.
They stopped him from joining another club in the same league. That was their statement of intent. When Madrid came looking for him (and Bale to a lesser extent) it was very convenient for them to then sell them abroad. Modric clearly wanted out before joining Madrid to begin with and would have been quite happy to move to Chelsea. Bale always fancied the Madrid move (turned us down in favour of them).

Either way Id love to see us just blow Levy away with an offer for Kane (for example) that he couldn't refuse or waste time negotiating over and shatter this idea that ''Spurs wont sell to a rival''.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They stopped him from joining another club in the same league. That was their statement of intent. When Madrid came looking for him (and Bale to a lesser extent) it was very convenient for them to then sell them abroad. Modric clearly wanted out before joining Madrid to begin with and would have been quite happy to move to Chelsea. Bale always fancied the Madrid move (turned us down in favour of them).

Either way Id love to see us just blow Levy away with an offer for Kane (for example) that he couldn't refuse or waste time negotiating over and shatter this idea that ''Spurs wont sell to a rival''.
That would need to be one hell of an offer. Anyway, half the posters on this forum don't rate him.