Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a united fan. I'd be happy to have him as a squad player and backup DM. Or a starter for a season.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He's only 23 and may be able to really step up given a bigger platform. Always good to have British talent too. I'd love to have him in the squad.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Yes please. The closest English player to Carrick currently. Where's the link for him though?

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's only 23 and may be able to really step up given a bigger platform. Always good to have British talent too. I'd love to have him in the squad.
He plays internationally and in the champions league with Spurs who have challenged for the league the past couple of seasons. Where are we currently going to offer him a bigger platform? Do you mean wage and club?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes please. The closest English player to Carrick currently. Where's the link for him though?
Winks is far more like a young Carrick to me. With more natural acceleration and dribbling ability.

Jacko21

Mentioned in the past that Dier should be considered.

There are certainly parallels there with Carrick.

Look how much Carrick's game has improved since joining United, those first couple of seasons were really tricky for him. Given Dier's age, I'd be wary of how long it might be before you see the best of him too.

He has the potential to be a brilliant central defensive midfielder, but he needs moulding, tutoring and most importantly time.

With that in mind and given that signing him would meaning doing business with Levy, you'd expect United to lineup other targets.

Though he'd be my preference for Carrick's replacement.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Is he in the process of negotiating a new contract? Anyway, we can do much better.

Oscie

He's the player I'd most want us to sign from Spurs. I'm still not convinced about Kane. Stupid as it sounds but he still doesn't look like a natural goal scorer and I'm not sure in 5 years time he'll still be getting 25 a season or if we'll look back at him as the modern-day Kevin Phillips. But Dier looks the real deal and my pick for Carrick's replacement. Different type of player but someone who can control the game nonetheless.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I really don't see what he actually is. He's not really a DM and he's not really a CB. He's somewhere in the middle. I also think he wouldn't want to leave, no thanks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Would prefer Gueye or Romeu, but I'm not totally opposed to Dier - think he's getting a big disservice from the reactions in this thread.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I think Dier could be useful for United a midfield of Dier, Herrera and Pogba might just be the ticket to make you challengers again.

I know what you mean about Levy and would Dier want to come to United is another question too.

One player that did make the switch from Spurs all be it a generation ago did quite well, Teddy Sheringham.

JoaquinJoaquin

Would rather of kept Schneiderlin to be honest, and that is saying something. Dier is hugely overrated, Wanyama makes him look much better then he is.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I really don't see what he actually is. He's not really a DM and he's not really a CB. He's somewhere in the middle. I also think he wouldn't want to leave, no thanks.
He is a DM who can also play in central defence and right back.

ti vu

I think Dier could be useful for United a midfield of Dier, Herrera and Pogba might just be the ticket to make you challengers again.

I know what you mean about Levy and would Dier want to come to United is another question too.

One player that did make the switch from Spurs all be it a generation ago did quite well, Teddy Sheringham.
Carrick?

Dier has to physical, technical attribute to play the holding defensive role, but his positional & behavioral discipline on the pitch is questionable. You can say he would mature with time, but there may be the case if he's to tone down too much he lost his edge in his aggressive, combative play.

Really weird this rumor came out of no where at this time. @balaks do you know anything about his current contract? How many years left?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Carrick?

Dier has to physical, technical attribute to play the holding defensive role, but his positional & behavioral discipline on the pitch is questionable. You can say he would mature with time, but there may be the case if he's to tone down too much he lost his edge in his aggressive, combative play.

Really weird this rumor came out of no where at this time. @balaks do you know anything about his current contract? How many years left?
There is absolutely no truth in this rumour and it's just the usual paper talk on the build up to the transfer window opening. No doubt over the coming months Alli, Dier, Kane, Toby, everybody in Spurs team basically will be linked to so called 'bigger teams'. It's standard fare and sadly is something I'm well used to as a Spurs fan. The fact though when you look at it is this - when was the last time Spurs sold a player to a rival team in the Premiership? Many years ago now, it just doesnt happen anymore. We deal with the likes of Real Madrid but we do not deal with Premiership teams anymore.

MadMike

Whether he plays in the defence or midfield for Spurs, he always looks the most limited player out of those surrounding him.

He's not being carried, as such, he's just made to look better than he is by association of being in a good, well-organised team. He's got great players behind him (Alderwereild, Vertonghen, Lloris) and ahead of him (Wanyama, Dembele). Like, he is not a weak link but he is the weakest link if that makes more sense.

Btw, this is the exact same criticism I've had of Bakayoko many, many times. That in a midfield of Silva, Lemar, Fabinho he's made to look better than he is. That he is a "filler" player, but not a stand-out performer and he is being judged to be above his actual level.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whether he plays in the defence or midfield for Spurs, he always looks the most limited player out of those surrounding him.

He's not being carried, as such, he's just made to look better than he is by association of being in a good, well-organised team. He's got great players behind him (Alderwereild, Vertonghen, Lloris) and ahead of him (Wanyama, Dembele). Like, he is not a weak link but he is the weakest link if that makes more sense.

Btw, this is the exact same criticism I've had of Bakayoko many, many times. That in a midfield of Silva, Lemar, Fabinho he's made to look better than he is. That he is a "filler" player, but not a stand-out performer and he is being judged to be above his actual level.
He was one of our very best and most important players last season without Wanyama to be fair. He has moved back into defence which is not his primary position this season but he has still done well, just not as good as last season when he was played in what is his best position. His versatility makes him one of our most valuable players to have in the squad.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I would think if Pochettino stays and I think he will you would keep your squad intact and look to strengthen.

A question on this though will Poch be given money to invest in the squad?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There is absolutely no truth in this rumour and it's just the usual paper talk on the build up to the transfer window opening. No doubt over the coming months Alli, Dier, Kane, Toby, everybody in Spurs team basically will be linked to so called 'bigger teams'. It's standard fare and sadly is something I'm well used to as a Spurs fan. The fact though when you look at it is this - when was the last time Spurs sold a player to a rival team in the Premiership? Many years ago now, it just doesnt happen anymore. We deal with the likes of Real Madrid but we do not deal with Premiership teams anymore.
Now I want him just because of this comment. :lol:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's good and would be good for us at the base of midfield, you could see Mourinho being a fan as he's big and strong as well as able to play a bit but you can't see it happening, I don't think Spurs will sell.

Boycott

I rate him and think he can become a very good midfielder. Technically I think he's sound and has a good range of passing and composure with the ball. He has the physique too which is a bonus.

Devil may care

If everyone is fit he doesn't even staqrt for Spurs unless they use a back 3, he's a Jack of alltrades typeof player, not the proper holding midfielder we need.

MadMike

If everyone is fit he doesn't even staqrt for Spurs unless they use a back 3, he's a Jack of alltrades typeof player, not the proper holding midfielder we need.
I think he is a starter in this line-up, which is their fave when all players fit.

-------------Kane------------
----Dele----------Eriksen---
------------------------------
---Dembele---Wanyama----
------------Dier--------------
-Rose---------------Walker--
--Vertonghen--Aldewreild--
-----------Lloris--------------

EDIT: If you look at that 11, you can see how Spurs are that far up the table. It's a strong starting XI. But when I compare it to any other team, it's basically Dier that I see less favourably compared to the opposition players.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
2 words. Daniel Levy
Spurs have been hit hard by Brexit.

Spurs are due to move into their new 61,000-seat ground during the 2018-19 season, with £800million the most recent estimate for the final bill.

That is double the figure that Tottenham originally hoped the project would cost, yet in an email to a supporter which has been published online, Cullen outlines the effect Britain’s imminent departure from the European Union has had on Spurs’ plans.

Replying to a fan’s enquiry, Cullen wrote: “Brexit has added a straight 20 per cent on costs for foreign goods due to the exchange rate, overtime working and increased construction costs similarly.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...has-risen-to-800m-due-to-brexit-a3484516.html

I can easily see costs going through the £1billion mark if they carry on. I suspect some of the development will be put on hold as Brexit collapses London commercial property.

Selling their best players is highly likely.

They may even have to sell part of the club to raise funds.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...essure-prove-funding-place-new-spurs-stadium/

Last edited:

Devil may care

I think he is a starter in this line-up, which is their fave when all players fit.

-------------Kane------------
----Dele----------Eriksen---
------------------------------
---Dembele---Wanyama----
------------Dier--------------
-Rose---------------Walker--
--Vertonghen--Aldewreild--
-----------Lloris--------------

EDIT: If you look at that 11, you can see how Spurs are that far up the table. It's a strong starting XI. But when I compare it to any other team, it's basically Dier that I see less favourably compared to opposition players.
I think Pochettino favours the 4-2-3-1 when everyone is fit, with either Son or Lamela in one of the wider roles and Dele in behind Kane, with Dier missing out for Wanyama, but the Spurs lad will be able to confirm that one way or the other. I look at that 11 and I can see why it's doing well in the PL but also why it's struggled in both European competitions.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He is a DM who can also play in central defence and right back.
Well he's only played as DM for one full season and since Wanyama took his spot, he's back in the back 3. There is no doubt he is talented and I think he does well there (in the DM position), just he's not natural and lacks some attributes to be a top class DM.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
:P it's true though!
Modric & Bale, yes. Though that was an exception not the rule.

The others? Up for debate. At some point Kane, Alli, Eriksen & Toby will be open to transfers elsewhere.
I don't think all will be headed towards Madrid, Barca & Bayern.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think Pochettino favours the 4-2-3-1 when everyone is fit, with either Son or Lamela in one of the wider roles and Dele in behind Kane, with Dier missing out for Wanyama, but the Spurs lad will be able to confirm that one way or the other. I look at that 11 and I can see why it's doing well in the PL but also why it's struggled in both European competitions.
I believe Pochettino now favours playing 3 at the back (with Dier on the right side of the back 3), not least because this system suits Walker and Rose perfectly as wingbacks.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. Spurs are a far better team than ourselves at present and were also last year.

He'd improve the team significantly and would provide a good partner for Pogba. £40m is a bargain for him in my view.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs have been hit hard by Brexit.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...has-risen-to-800m-due-to-brexit-a3484516.html

I can easily see costs going through the £1billion mark if they carry on. I suspect some of the development will be put on hold as Brexit collapses London commercial property.

Selling their best players is highly likely.

They may even have to sell part of the club to raise funds.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...essure-prove-funding-place-new-spurs-stadium/
Lol .... we've just posted record revenues for 2016 (up by 7% from 2015), with yet another annual profit (profit for the year after interest and tax was £33.0m, compared to £9.4m for 2015).

I'm afraid you're indulging in wishful thinking. Levy's email to City Hall is just him putting the squeeze on the local authority.

Last edited: