Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's bang average. Can't see why we'd go in for him. Even though he would 100% get games for us now he's still at the level we should be aspiring to be at.

manutddjw

If we're looking for a more defensive minded midfielder I'd rather sign Fabinho who'll cost significantly less than Dier.

GazTheLegend

I give this one close to zero chance of happening, with the caveat that Dier isn't earning the money at spurs he could be.

• Dier is contracted until 2021 on £70,000 a week
  • Levy won't sell to a rival unless we offer a stupid amount of money.
Dier or his agent are presumably well aware that he's earning MUCH less than, for instance, Jesse Lingard. As a first team player in a top four side he deserves/wants more. Spurs general meanness with money hasn't bit them on the arse yet, for whatever reason though.

GM K

I think a lot of the comments in here were equally levelled at Carrick when he came. I thought he was decent, but not that good and that the fee we paid was ridiculous.

I guess it's just not a glamour position, but when you consider what you want a DM to do, protect the back 4, break up attacks, set up attacks, then it is a massively important role for unsung heros.

Just have a look here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/utd-sign-carrick.121630/
Thanks for posting that caf link mate. I couldn't stop laughing while reading some of the posts there. A lot of people were actually convinced that Carrick was shite. :lol:

If SAF had relied on posts here before deciding to buy Carrick, United would never have signed him.

I have noticed that with some comments about some United links recently. 'Lukaku is terrible, Dier is a flop, James is no footballer, Auer is a terrible human being, Griezmann is untested in the premier league, forget Fabinho, etc'

All very interesting.

Well, I guess managers earn their pay by being able to spot the exact talents that can best fit into their team building plans.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I think a lot of the comments in here were equally levelled at Carrick when he came. I thought he was decent, but not that good and that the fee we paid was ridiculous.

I guess it's just not a glamour position, but when you consider what you want a DM to do, protect the back 4, break up attacks, set up attacks, then it is a massively important role for unsung heros.

Just have a look here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/utd-sign-carrick.121630/
Not to derail this thread but... :lol:

Im going to cry. We are WASTING £17 million on a half decent player at best. What would Roy Keane say? :(

Kostur

海尔的老板
I have noticed that with some comments about some United links recently. 'Lukaku is terrible, Dier is a flop, James is no footballer, Auer is a terrible human being, Griezmann is untested in the premier league, forget Fabinho, etc'

All very interesting.
Hmmm, very interesting observation. Perhaps a thread on it would help us clear any doubts on whether different people have different opinions or not. Would be interesting indeed.

Dier is still not good enough, I've said it before but we'd be adding another midfielder who's not capable of displacing either Pogba or Herrera and there's no point in that. Find a midfielder who can displace Ander, send Ander to 'fight for the place' squad role and that's what we call improvement.

Hawks2008

Can't stand this guy, he's a thuggish player that would fit right into a Tony Pulis side. Just another English midfielder who is a wannabe hard man.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Thanks for posting that caf link mate. I couldn't stop laughing while reading some of the posts there. A lot of people were actually convinced that Carrick was shite. :lol:

If SAF had relied on posts here before deciding to buy Carrick, United would never have signed him.

All very interesting.

Well, I guess managers earn their pay by being able to spot the exact talents that can best fit into their team building plans.
So, you think Dier is a player we should get or not? Is he the new Carrick?

GM K

So, you think Dier is a player we should get or not? Is he the new Carrick?
To be honest, I am not sure. A bit double minded about it. One thing I am sure of though, is that if Jose wants him badly, then there is something special he's seeing and there is a specific job he wants him to do in his team. That's good enough for me. That does not in any way mean that Jose is infallible but he certainly has a good track record in the player buying and team building business.

My post which you replied, was just to say that we fans can be way off the mark at times. Many people thought Carrick was not good enough but look at how he turned out. Football can make smart people look silly at times. Just as the underdog team can beat the champs, some players who look average initially, can turn out to become greats. Maybe Dier is one of such. If Jose and United scouts believe he is worth the money and the trouble, they probably know something we don't.

GM K

Hmmm, very interesting observation. Perhaps a thread on it would help us clear any doubts on whether different people have different opinions or not. Would be interesting indeed.

Dier is still not good enough, I've said it before but we'd be adding another midfielder who's not capable of displacing either Pogba or Herrera and there's no point in that. Find a midfielder who can displace Ander, send Ander to 'fight for the place' squad role and that's what we call improvement.
I think it depends on the manager really. What exactly does he want in his team? What type of player (in terms of on pitch skill set and off field character) is he looking for? Who is available for him to purchase? Who is keen on joining him? How much will each available person cost? Etc. Managers see the whole picture and that puts them in a better position to pick players to buy. The sight is a bit different for we fans. All we see is what the player does on the pitch and how we assess that is based on our individual preferences. Someone may prefer the flair player while another may prefer the hard working hustler for a particular position.

It's hard to tell, really but I guess for the sake of our conversations, we choose to keep the debates simple by just focusing on what we see on the pitch.

Dier has been a regular for a team that has been one of the best in the EPL in the last few seasons. Surely, there must be something in there that could be harnessed. Maybe that's what Jose is seeing if indeed he is desperate to sign him.

DatGuyRich

Dier would be a quality signing. I'd prefer Fabinho for the CDM position but with Dier he's already got lots of premier league experience.

Dier this summer, Alli next?

AP88

Supports
Man City
Dier would be a quality signing. I'd prefer Fabinho for the CDM position but with Dier he's already got lots of premier league experience.

Dier this summer, Alli next?
No, Alli will end up going abroad if at all; there's no other English club that's better to be at than Spurs moving forward. Alli's playing every week in his best position.

The reason Dier is gettable is because he's having to share midfield duties with Wanyama, and Spurs can get a better defender in to replace him.

izec

Meh, 40m for Dier as DM is really not exciting. Was not good today, he just lacks the quality to be a first teamer here.

Oscie

Would be a great signing.

Whenever we're linked to a player this place goes from "we're shit!" to "nobody else is good enough!!"

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Said in the other thread if I could sign any player in the prem it would be this guy. Really rate him and think a player with his skill set is needed to move us forward in freeing up our midfield.

Cheekiey

He is very wasteful in possession especially during the last 15 in most games, showed me massively against Chelsea yesterday. £40m... Jesus, can name 5 players in the DM position I'd rather spunk £40m or less on.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He is bang average. We'd be mad to spend money like that on him.

leontas

Would consider him for £15m but not for £40m. We can do so much better for that kind of money.

NoPace

The point is he's primarily played in a back 3 to accomodate Wanyama this season; he wants to play midfield, United can give him that as his default position, while Spurs can replace him in defence with Keane. Sounds very legit.

He'd be a quality addition to the team, very robust and Matic-esque in stature. His passing is underrated by those who don't watch him subjectively, a lot like Gareth Barry, a player who neutralised Yaya Toure's weaknesses at City, who Capello preferred to Carrick and who Benitez was willing to sacrifice Alonso for.

He naturally drops deep when in possession, which allows both fullbacks, generally Rose and Walker, to move forward simultaneously; his presence could be key to Luke Shaw's chances of establishing himself in that sense, as Jose might be more open to have both him and Valencia moving forward if they have midfield cover.
I don't think he's as good a passer as Barry was at City (certainly nowhere near the Everton Barry as a passer) and I think Dier in front of Bailly and either Smalling or Rojo would be a pretty poor passing unit. Could see us struggling to start attacks. I'd much rather see us sign a DM who can really pass or even a box to box type and let Herrera grow into the role of being a deep lying passer.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
In a world where transfer fees in Football have gone crazy I'm still surprised people actually care how much we buy players for. It's not our money so as long as Jose wants a player and we get that player I'm not bothered how much he costs. I mean Lukaku will probably go for an insane fee this summer and he won't be worth that much too.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He naturally drops deep when in possession, which allows both fullbacks, generally Rose and Walker, to move forward simultaneously;
Talk about damming with faint praise

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
In a world where transfer fees in Football have gone crazy I'm still surprised people actually care how much we buy players for. It's not our money so as long as Jose wants a player and we get that player I'm not bothered how much he costs. I mean Lukaku will probably go for an insane fee this summer and he won't be worth that much too.
It's really strange how people can accept price rises in everyday life but can't seem to understand how quickly prices are rising in football.

15m wouldn't buy you a mediocre English player of Diers age nevermind a consistent starter for one of the best sides in the country.

Ashley R1+O

He'd be an excellent signing, apparently a life long United fan who has ambitions to play for us as well if I am not mistaken.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I marvel where this idea he is poor at passing comes from. Last season he was a key man and constant presence in a Spurs side playing top notch passing football. You don't do that by being unable to use the ball. He has the exact type of passing needed for the role he plays of ball winner. He is not a deep lying playmaker like Carrick.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Urgh, this rumor just doesn't go away.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'd like him here. Good player and would add something to the team.