g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Kostur

海尔的老板
Urgh, this rumor just doesn't go away.
Like a turd that won't flush.

It's also worrying that people hail him as an 'excellent signing' for us, even a good one. Guy wouldn't displace Carrick here who's 60 himself and probably needs to be moved on, nevermind the fact that he's playing in a better team. It's mind boggling.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
£40m what??? :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::eek: Doing business with Spurs is always a tough one but that price tag is not even close to what kidnappers would demand as ransom. We're talking about a totally random player here who was brought in for £4m three years ago. The FA need to step in and deal with these sort of crazy businesses ruining the game. There should be some sort of roof to what clubs can demand for a player, let's say maximum 100% up on initial transfer value or some sort of sane model.

Initial price (£)
1-9m -> sell on variable (max 200%)
10-20m -> sell on variable (max 100%)

Something like that. In that case Dier would be going for a decent fee of £12m. Compare that money to a transfer like Danny Welbeck £16m to Arsenal and you see the market is closer to reality. FFS, Juan Mata - almost a world player at his time - went to us for £46m. Eric Dier is NO WHERE close to that talent. It's like you could start a football club, sign up some players on a free and start selling random players for £40-60m just because it's the market of today:houllier: Sort it out!!

wolvored

After watching the semis and I know he was playing in defence, and it was one game, but wasnt overly impressed tbh. Think there are better options out there for the same money.

wolvored

£40m what??? :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::eek: Doing business with Spurs is always a tough one but that price tag is not even close to what kidnappers would demand as ransom. We're talking about a totally random player here who was brought in for £4m three years ago. The FA need to step in and deal with these sort of crazy businesses ruining the game. There should be some sort of roof to what clubs can demand for a player, let's say maximum 100% up on initial transfer value or some sort of sane model.

Initial price (£)

Something like that. In that case Dier would be going for a decent fee of £12m. Compare that money to a transfer like Danny Welbeck £16m to Arsenal and you see the market is closer to reality. FFS, Juan Mata - almost a world player at his time - went to us for £46m. Eric Dier is NO WHERE close to that talent. It's like you could start a football club, sign up some players on a free and start selling random players for £40-60m just because it's the market of today:houllier: Sort it out!!
That will never happen though. Thats why most clubs who buy players for low fees, play them and then put a massive price tag on them so richer clubs like Utd pay top dollar for them. Its our stupid policy of selling our lesser players for low fees in the past that has made us the mugs. Depends how quick we want to offload them as well, hence Di Maria taking a £13 million loss after one season with the clown who bought him, being the same clown who sold him.

Sparky10Legend

Initial price (£)

We paid 37m for Mata.

The market has exploded since then, but I agree Dier should be closer to 25m than 40m. Where we have gone wrong is no sell on clauses etc.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
£40 mill is £10 mill from Saul Niguez release clause. Saul Niguez is probably one of the three best U23 midfielders in the world (I rate him higher than Pogba).

But Saul is probably comfy in AM.

saivet

I'd take him. I think he's a good player, though overpriced.

I play football with quite a few Spurs season ticket holders and when I mentioned this to them last week, they we saying how they didn't think nor be happy with this happening.

ROFLUTION

So he:
- Can cover CB
- Can operate as holding midfielder
- Does it in a team thats no two in the league with great defensive stats
- 23 years old
- record this season as dm: W9 D2 L0
- Spurs fans think he gets the best out of Dembele and is calm on the ball

Surely if he's in a squad like that regularly, he's not just mediocre. He can be a good fit at United - we're so thin at DM and DC.

CM

£40 mill is £10 mill from Saul Niguez release clause. Saul Niguez is probably one of the three best U23 midfielders in the world (I rate him higher than Pogba).

He signed an extension last summer increasing the buyout to €80m

Litch

Mr average and adds nothing to Utd than a very good versatile squad player. To me he's just a stocky Blind....

worldinmotion66

Mr average and adds nothing to Utd than a very good versatile squad player. To me he's just a stocky Blind....
Nothing like Blind. Doesn't have the passing or technical ability but has the physicality that Blind lacks. He'd be a decent signing imo but I would definitely prefer Fabinho. It may be important to sign him for our english quota if we are looking at moving on Young, Rooney and possibly Jones. For this reason I don't see Shaw leaving either.

itso 7

So its a moot point if he isn't interested in a move even though he did sign an extension. I'm sure you know that for a transfer deal to happen all the three parties have to agree so its pointless bringing up the release clause of a player who doesn't want to come here.
Regarding Dier I get it that he isn't the perfect player and is a way overpriced but the issue is that he is PL proven and his skill set will complement the midfield we have now and especially so if we sign Griezmann and find ourselves reverting to a 4-2-3-1. His robustness off the ball would complement Pogba and give him freedom to exert his influence up the pitch.

No Love

I don't mind Dier but nothing about this move would excite me. Surely it would be more advisable to go for Fabinho, if we're talking 40m for Dier..

Litch

Nothing like Blind. Doesn't have the passing or technical ability but has the physicality that Blind lacks. He'd be a decent signing imo but I would definitely prefer Fabinho. It may be important to sign him for our english quota if we are looking at moving on Young, Rooney and possibly Jones. For this reason I don't see Shaw leaving either.
Like Blind for his versatility and nothing more than that. I'd sooner promote from the u23 squad for the English quota than a vanilla signing like him.

El Jefe

I marvel where this idea he is poor at passing comes from. Last season he was a key man and constant presence in a Spurs side playing top notch passing football. You don't do that by being unable to use the ball. He has the exact type of passing needed for the role he plays of ball winner. He is not a deep lying playmaker like Carrick.
Absolutely right Chief. He hasn't been as good as last year as he has played CB more often but as a holding midfielder in front of the back for I think he has the potential to be excellent.

3KDré

How can some folks still say he's average after watching that. It's everything you'd want from an anchor man.
It's also a compilation video, so it's not going to show any of his flaws. Depay looked good on these types of videos. Even one of Falcao in his season here made him look alright.

Irrational.

He's an average Joe. Lacks positional discipline as well, was culpable for one of the goals yesterday.

And he has shit hair. Bit of a mouthy cnut as well.

No thanks.

United Pro

As overpriced as he would be, I think he would be a good signing in a position we really need players. The question is whether Spurs would sell to us and whether we can get an arguably better player in Fabinho for less.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I happen to like Dier and i fully expect Jose to sign that kind of player, but we could quite easily get someone just as good, if not better, than Dier for a fraction of the price.

Big plus point is that he's English though. We don't have loads of English lads and some of the ones we do have will probably leave this summer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So he:
- Can cover CB
- Can operate as holding midfielder
- Does it in a team thats no two in the league with great defensive stats
- 23 years old
- record this season as dm: W9 D2 L0
- Spurs fans think he gets the best out of Dembele and is calm on the ball

Surely if he's in a squad like that regularly, he's not just mediocre. He can be a good fit at United - we're so thin at DM and DC.
He's the type of player who is invaluable if you already have him in your squad - versatile, young and English. But for that price there really is so much better out there.

ROFLUTION

He's the type of player who is invaluable if you already have him in your squad - versatile, young and English. But for that price there really is so much better out there.
I don't disagree in that assessment, but we don't actually know if 40m is the price.

I would say though, that if he is a regular starter for 7-9 years at United, then 30-40m could be well spent. We really need a player to fit the exact two roles that he fullfills. We would be buying him at the right age.

Kag

He's very good sitting ahead of the defence and we need that sort of player in exactly said position. Costly, sure, but it's not my money.

I think a fair few people are guilty of not watching him, because the suggestion that he's some consistently average Joe, or a poor passer of the ball, is simply untrue.

United Pro

I don't disagree in that assessment, but we don't actually know if 40m is the price.

I would say though, that if he is a regular starter for 7-9 years at United, then 30-40m could be well spent. We really need a player to fit the exact two roles that he fullfills. We would be buying him at the right age.
From the sounds of it, the £40m is coming from the United end and from the Spurs end, they're just saying that they are not selling.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hoping these are just rumours tbh. I like Dier but he's not rounded enough to conduct a midfield. Fabiano is the player we should be after if he wants a DM who can play also.

ROFLUTION

From the sounds of it, the £40m is coming from the United end and from the Spurs end, they're just saying that they are not selling.
Yeah, there might be some truth in it.. It's from James Ducker.

Personally I think Jose would lure Dier with the argument of being played at his favorite position at DM every week. If we're going for Dier, then Fabinho might not be so much of an option.

I'd rather have Fabinho, but then we'd be spending 25-40m on top of that for a defender. So it's a steep price, but the price of adding two players covering CM and DM could be higher.

United Pro

Yeah, there might be some truth in it.. It's from James Ducker.

Personally I think Jose would lure Dier with the argument of being played at his favorite position at DM every week. If we're going for Dier, then Fabinho might not be so much of an option.

I'd rather have Fabinho, but then we'd be spending 25-40m on top of that for a defender. So it's a steep price, but the price of adding two players covering CM and DM could be higher.
If we were to sign Dier, I reckon we'd still be in for a CB.

NinjaFletch

£40m would be a good price for him.

It's the fact it will probably be another 20 on top of that before they'd even start talking thats the issue.

Revan

Assumptionman
Dier has performed better this season than all our CMs (according to the stats), is currently playing for a team much better than ourselves and who hold a higher league ranking (again) yet many think he isn't fit to play for us and wouldn't be an upgrade on our current players.

Strange.
He hasn't performed near as good as Herrera and Pogba (by stats or eyes), and in fact he has played mostly as CB.

Spurs aren't much better than us. They are a few points ahead in the league, but we have won a trophy and can win an another one, which would be more than Spurs have done in like 20 years.

Jev

Surprised people are so critical of him. With the inflation going on in football, 40 million wouldn't be all that unreasonable and we're talking about a guy who's an important player in a better team than ours. I struggle to see many other realistic options that would be better for the holding midfield role, and on top of that he has his versatility.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Dier would be a Ferguson signing; getting giddy about Galactico's has seen United fall out of the Champions League. More like this are necessary to make the next step.

He'll surprise a lot of people next season if he arrives; he's one of those players that other fans generally don't 'get' until they play for you. He's the perfect platform for the more box-to-box Pogba and Herrera, and an obvious upgrade on Fellaini as giant destroyer in midfield.

The captains armband will be available soon as well.....

Prodigal7

I wonder how many people making comments here have really watched him that closely :rolleyes:
I think he'd be a good signing, notwithstanding pricing issues. He'd be great to allow Pogba freedom to go forward in a midfield 2.

beingshe7don

Absolutely right Chief. He hasn't been as good as last year as he has played CB more often but as a holding midfielder in front of the back for I think he has the potential to be excellent.

Dier is a good player as an anchor man. He's got a good passing range and will be good on the break. If Mourinho does get him, it would be going back to the old Manchester United philosophy to keeping the spine of the team, English. The only problem is Tottenham will hold us ransom to some crazy money which is why I would rather consider other options. Personally, I wouldn't consider buying any of Tottenham's players. It'll be a long drawn out saga till the end of the transfer window which will just disrupt our pre-season preparation.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Dier would be a Ferguson signing; getting giddy about Galactico's has seen United fall out of the Champions League. More like this are necessary to make the next step.

He'll surprise a lot of people next season if he arrives; he's one of those players that other fans generally don't 'get' until they play for you. He's the perfect platform for the more box-to-box Pogba and Herrera, and an obvious upgrade on Fellaini as giant destroyer in midfield.

The captains armband will be available soon as well.....
My sentiments exactly.

Would be a great signing and perfect for us in my view.

redsunited

I accept that Eric Dier is a typical SAF signing based on british core etc.
imo, When a player(Fabinho) who plays well in a 2 man midfield of a 442 formation and is closer to a deep lying playmaker type of defensive midfielder, it is a no brainer to sign him for United. Eric Dier plays for the second place team in PL where as Fabinho plays for a team in CL semifinal and currently first in French League. Fabinho is the best rated midfielder for Monaco where as Dier is a third choice defensive midfielder/defender for Spurs.
With Mourinho, we are in a better position to get the best of the Brazilian talent than under SAF.
Given a choice as he will also cost less than Dier, It should be Fabinho.

Devil may care

Times change, not everything Fergie did is applicable now, and other than a couple of occassions when he did buy British they were actually good enough, these days most of them aren't, including Dier.

Prodigal7

I accept that Eric Dier is a typical SAF signing based on british core etc.
imo, When a player(Fabinho) who plays well in a 2 man midfield of a 442 formation and is closer to a deep lying playmaker type of defensive midfielder, it is a no brainer to sign him for United. Eric Dier plays for the second place team in PL where as Fabinho plays for a team in CL semifinal and currently first in French League. Fabinho is the best rated midfielder for Monaco where as Dier is a third choice defensive midfielder/defender for Spurs.
With Mourinho, we are in a better position to get the best of the Brazilian talent than under SAF.
Given a choice as he will also cost less than Dier, It should be Fabinho.
If we need a right back and an anchor man in midfield why not get both?