Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

SammyUnited_83

They stopped him from joining another club in the same league. That was their statement of intent. When Madrid came looking for him (and Bale to a lesser extent) it was very convenient for them to then sell them abroad. Modric clearly wanted out before joining Madrid to begin with and would have been quite happy to move to Chelsea. Bale always fancied the Madrid move (turned us down in favour of them).

Either way Id love to see us just blow Levy away with an offer for Kane (for example) that he couldn't refuse or waste time negotiating over and shatter this idea that ''Spurs wont sell to a rival''.
The convenience of Madrid's interest, doesn't prove they wouldn't have eventually sold to a domestic rival, if that was the only offer on the table. Most big clubs are able to keep a big wantaway player by saying give us one more year, prove you are world class and you will get a better move.

Zlatattack

You're essentially saying, "I hope it's harder to finish Top 4 for us".
I quite like the competition. I'd like to see Everton up there too. A premier league where 7 teams teams are regularly fighting for the champions league slots would be great entertainment. It's better if that scenario comes around due to the top 7 teams being that good, rather than the top 7 teams being weak and inconsistent.

NinjaFletch

He would get paid more at many teams in the league and elsewhere, my question was why Utd?
That might have been what you meant, but its not what you asked.

This is an interesting issue with Spurs at the minute though. Somehow you've managed to keep hold of players without paying the going rate for their ability.
I can't see the likes of Kane and Alli, and to a lesser extent Dier (I'm not actually convinced he's that good), being happy indefinitely earning significantly less than they would at United, for example, and although I doubt theres a financial deal that suits both United and Spurs it does seem like there is the potential for things to go tits up before the financial side catches up with the performances on pitch.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why on earth would a player like Dier want to leave Spurs to go to Utd at the moment? Honest question.
Don't you think that United with another 150 mil transfer kitty could significantly rise in the table and cause a shock in Champions-League? Mourinho demands major trophies, i don't think he tolerates another year like this. It's wishful thinking, but i for one can only see improvements with the likes of Pogba and another 2,3 top players around.

Spurs have a good starting eleven, but they're still lacking depth. For all the praise Pochettino receives, he got it wrong with Janssen and Sissoko isn't doing it consistently enough. Moreover what's happened to Lamela? Must have been something personal or am i wrong here? The point is despite Wanyama Spurs can't have many expensive flops, they can't buy all the time, whereas United can compensate better.

I don't want to come across disrespectful or anything like that, but next season United should be ahead of Spurs in the table, granted money spent wise it isn't a fair competition, but it is what it is, i guess.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He plays internationally and in the champions league with Spurs who have challenged for the league the past couple of seasons. Where are we currently going to offer him a bigger platform? Do you mean wage and club?
I'd say playing for United you have a higher ceiling than Spurs even if they've been the better team for 2-3 years.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That might have been what you meant, but its not what you asked.

This is an interesting issue with Spurs at the minute though. Somehow you've managed to keep hold of players without paying the going rate for their ability.
I can't see the likes of Kane and Alli, and to a lesser extent Dier (I'm not actually convinced he's that good), being happy indefinitely earning significantly less than they would at United, for example, and although I doubt theres a financial deal that suits both United and Spurs it does seem like there is the potential for things to go tits up before the financial side catches up with the performances on pitch.
Part of it I think is down to the fact that we regularly will review and improve contracts if players perform well. That way we give incentives for good performances and the players know they can earn more and more at the club should they do well. I think it's a better system than instantly paying a player a massive wage and then hoping they perform. Another big part of why we are able to keep players is down to the manager and the team spirit we have here. That and the obvious improvements at the club and the sense we are moving forward in the right direction. Money is very important of course but it's only part of the package.

ghagua

Why on earth would a player like Dier want to leave Spurs to go to Utd at the moment? Honest question.
Probably to win trophies. Heck, finishing above United for 1 season has you talking trash, but in reality, we've won more trophies in the last year than you guy's have won for 20 years.

Morpheus 7

Over hyped English player, the money Levy would demand would be scandalous. We should be looking for a higher caliber player.
All that, he's a boyhood united fan stuff is only interesting when the player is brilliant. Don't want.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't you think that United with another 150 mil transfer kitty could significantly rise in the table and cause a shock in Champions-League? Mourinho demands major trophies, i don't think he tolerates another year like this. It's wishful thinking, but i for one can only see improvements with the likes of Pogba and another 2,3 top players around.

Spurs have a good starting eleven, but they're still lacking depth. For all the praise Pochettino receives, he got it wrong with Janssen and Sissoko isn't doing it consistently enough. Moreover what's happened to Lamela? Must have been something personal or am i wrong here? The point is despite Wanyama Spurs can't have many expensive flops, they can't buy all the time, whereas United can compensate better.

I don't want to come across disrespectful or anything like that, but next season United should be ahead of Spurs in the table, granted money spent wise it isn't a fair competition, but it is what it is, i guess.
Its been what.. 5 years now? Millions thrown at the club and several managers later and we are still waiting. Not saying it cant or wont happen eventually but there is no guarantee it will happen in the next year or two.

Robertd0803

That would need to be one hell of an offer. Anyway, half the posters on this forum don't rate him.
Ah yeah, I picked Kane just as an example. But regardless of which player it would be worth it to throw the whole idea out the window and laugh in the face of Levys reputation as a tough negotiator (which I think Sir Alex called him.) Of course it would be a win-win for Spurs as well.

Robertd0803

The convenience of Madrid's interest, doesn't prove they wouldn't have eventually sold to a domestic rival, if that was the only offer on the table. Most big clubs are able to keep a big wantaway player by saying give us one more year, prove you are world class and you will get a better move.
Again using Kane as an example wonder if they would eventually fold if we (or City/Chelsea) kept chipping away every transfer windows with bids.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ah yeah, I picked Kane just as an example. But regardless of which player it would be worth it to throw the whole idea out the window and laugh in the face of Levys reputation as a tough negotiator (which I think Sir Alex called him.) Of course it would be a win-win for Spurs as well.
Although to turn that on it's head - lets say Utd signed Kane for um.. I dunno, lets say £150 million. Would that be a great piece of business by Utd or Levy?

NinjaFletch

Part of it I think is down to the fact that we regularly will review and improve contracts if players perform well. That way we give incentives for good performances and the players know they can earn more and more at the club should they do well. I think it's a better system than instantly paying a player a massive wage and then hoping they perform. Another big part of why we are able to keep players is down to the manager and the team spirit we have here. That and the obvious improvements at the club and the sense we are moving forward in the right direction. Money is very important of course but it's only part of the package.
Thats all true, although of course leaves you incredibly vulnerable to Pochettino leaving, but I think you're vastly downplaying the importance of money.

Wages spent is a pretty accurate predictor of success in the Premier League. This article is out of date, and there are high profile exceptions since including you, but the rule still is holding true enough. http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactic...-dominance-is-down-to-wages-but-can-be-broken

The most reliable source I can find for wage spend is from last year. http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactic...-dominance-is-down-to-wages-but-can-be-broken You're sixth and a significant way from fifth so I doubt you've made the gap up. Whilst this is obviously a good thing whilst you're overachieving, its hard to shake off the idea that eventually you're either going to have to find the money to pay the players what they're worth, or regress to the norm which will probably happen as a result of players leaving.

I know it sounds patronising, but Spurs aren't one of the financial big boys and until they are, whilst deserving a lot of credit for what they have achieved, I do think Spurs fans ardent rejection of the possibility that any of their players might want to go to 'worse' clubs, be they United, City, or whoever strikes a little bit hollow. Of course, you're in a fantastically good position in terms of contracts, and are very well run. But I can't help shake the feeling that everything is, for the time being at least, built a bit on a house of cards.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Great you forced him to go to Madrid, you still lost the player FFS, one you wanted to keep.

As I have said, I'm not here to wind Spurs fans up to say, Utd are bigger etc etc, I don't really give a shite.

But your statement above just backs up what I said, if the player wants to go they will go - in this case, as with Bale, when Madrid come knocking it's hardly a back slapping transfer deal for Levy, as the player will only ever choose one club.

Chelsea v Madrid hmmmm.
As I said earlier, we kept him for a while after he wanted to leave (and then stopped him from signing for a Prem rival). This didn't affect his playing performances and nor - contrary to what was suggested earlier in this thread - did it stop Spurs from attracting other quality players (e.g. Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen) that very same summer)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thats all true, although of course leaves you incredibly vulnerable to Pochettino leaving, but I think you're vastly downplaying the importance of money.

Wages spent is a pretty accurate predictor of success in the Premier League. This article is out of date, and there are high profile exceptions since including you, but the rule still is holding true enough. http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactic...-dominance-is-down-to-wages-but-can-be-broken

The most reliable source I can find for wage spend is from last year. http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactic...-dominance-is-down-to-wages-but-can-be-broken You're sixth and a significant way from fifth so I doubt you've made the gap up. Whilst this is obviously a good thing whilst you're overachieving, its hard to shake off the idea that eventually you're either going to have to find the money to pay the players what they're worth, or regress to the norm which will probably happen as a result of players leaving.

I know it sounds patronising, but Spurs aren't one of the financial big boys and until they are, whilst deserving a lot of credit for what they have achieved, I do think Spurs fans ardent rejection of the possibility that any of their players might want to go to 'worse' clubs, be they United, City, or whoever strikes a little bit hollow. Of course, you're in a fantastically good position in terms of contracts, and are very well run. But I can't help shake the feeling that everything is, for the time being at least, built a bit on a house of cards.
I agree in the sense that a lot of the current crop of players who would attract the attention of many major clubs in Europe are happy to remain at Spurs purely down to the manager - Lloris said as much in a recent interview. Yes that does make us incredibly reliant on the manager staying - I believe he is an honorable man who wants to build a legacy at the club however I'm also not blind to the likes of Barcelona, etc. circling and the huge draw they would have over any manager. Nothing is certain. Having said that, I remain positive and very happy with how the club is being run and am hopeful that in 2/3 years we will reap the benefits of the new stadium and will finally be close to having the financial clout required to pay some of the players comparable wages to what they could currently receive at the likes of Utd.

The manager is probably the most important piece of the puzzle though, no doubt about that.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He didn't need to, both players wanted to go to Madrid, regardless of which domestic clubs were interested.
The last star player that Spurs sold to a domestic rival was Berbatov.

That's getting on for nine years ago, so it's about time you woke up and smelt the coffee.

Robertd0803

Although to turn that on it's head - lets say Utd signed Kane for um.. I dunno, lets say £150 million. Would that be a great piece of business by Utd or Levy?

Magnificent for Levy initially-massive lump sum and transfer windfall to reinvest in stadium/new players or whatever. Sure he might have to deal with a backlash from some fans but in the bigger picture of a £150 million transfer Im sure that's the least of his worries. In the short term they lose a top player but Spurs have always been able to replace players pretty well over the years. Also boosts his ego that United didn't even try negotiate and sets a precedent for the next time someone comes looking for one of his top players.

For United-Short term- it would be a Pogba like boost in the eyes of fans/brand etc. Also strengthens our financial muscle where we can just pay whatever we want without worry and cut out a notoriously difficult middleman in Levy.

Long term you would have to judge it on the trophys we win based on having a new player that enables us to get back where we were under Sir Alex.
If signing Kane means we win 3/4 Premier Leagues in 5 years and a Champions League while being serious contenders to the likes of Real/Bayern/Barca every season then you would have to say it was a great piece of business.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Probably to win trophies. Heck, finishing above United for 1 season has you talking trash, but in reality, we've won more trophies in the last year than you guy's have won for 20 years.
It's not 1 season. If it happens again this season it will be 3 times out of the last 4.

SammyUnited_83

The last star player that Spurs sold to a domestic rival was Berbatov.

That's getting on for nine years ago, so it's about time you woke up and smelt the coffee.
Would Spurs have kept Bale, if the only bid on the table that summer was £80mil from City / Utd and the player was desperate to leave? No. There is a huge difference by the way from a playing wanting to leave, and someone who is desperate to leave that they are happy to down tools / go on strike etc etc.

The only reason you haven't sold to a domestic rival is because you have had the choice, and the players you had were that good, that they attracted Madrid, a club that 99.99999% of players choose above anyone.

I'm sure at some point one of your star players will go to a domestic rival, and as a Utd fan I'm not foolishness enough to think we are immune from the same fate - all clubs are.

SammyUnited_83

It's not 1 season. If it happens again this season it will be 3 times out of the last 4.
And how many times in the last 20? How many league titles have you won in this glorious run of yours?

See, you can spin facts anyway you want.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would Spurs have kept Bale, if the only bid on the table that summer was £80mil from City / Utd and the player was desperate to leave? No. There is a huge difference by the way from a playing wanting to leave, and someone who is desperate to leave that they are happy to down tools / go on strike etc etc.

The only reason you haven't sold to a domestic rival is because you have had the choice, and the players you had were that good, that they attracted Madrid, a club that 99.99999% of players choose above anyone.

I'm sure at some point one of your star players will go to a domestic rival, and as a Utd fan I'm not foolishness enough to think we are immune from the same fate - all clubs are.
It's highly unlikely that if a player is attracting interest from the likes of City that they would not also be attracting interest from other major players around Europe.

SammyUnited_83

It's highly unlikely that if a player is attracting interest from the likes of City that they would not also be attracting interest from other major players around Europe.
Yeah, true, Perez is still kicking himself for missing out on Delph.

ghagua

How many trophies have you won during that period? Even during our struggles, we've won more than your team can dream about.

GazTheLegend

That desperate that he signed for Madrid?
Sigh.

He wanted to sign for us.

Spurs wouldn't let him
go but he wanted to leave for
more money/trophies, so they made him certain promises and he signed for Madrid a year after.

It wouldn't have mattered how desperate he was, he was on a 5 year contract and Levy didnt want to sell him to us, and Modric was professional enough to not complain publically

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
How many trophies have you won during that period? Even during our struggles, we've won more than your team can dream about.
This is quite telling, while Spurs are performing well and have a talented manager and a decent squad, they've won, what two trophies in the last 17 years?

Not exactly knocking us off of our perch are they?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is quite telling, while Spurs are performing well and have a talented manager and a decent squad, they've won, what two trophies in the last 17 years?

We have been a mid table club until relatively recently. Nobody is saying otherwise. Heck we were hovering near the relegation places less than 10 years ago.

meninred

Hope he wont be another schneiderlin if we buy him. Is he better ?

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, we possibly want him, but Levy isn't going to sell to us, so it's pointless even discussing it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He is currently a first team player who is extremely valuable to the squad due to his ability to play 3 positions. Who could we get that would be better and also give us the same versatility in the same age bracket? I cant think of too many.
1. He isn't a starter. 2. You have young players coming through who can play his role in midfield and defence abd are nit at his type of age that require to be more involved. 3. The money he can raise can get you both either superior specialist center back cover, and extra fire power upfront to help out Kane and Dele. 4. Levy likes business that benefits him. He'd gain loads from selling a Dier for Kong's ransom who he bought for a pittance.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's not about avoiding dealing with Levy, as if he's some superman. It's just that Dier isn't amazing and there are quite a few players who could do a similar job. His nationality is probably the biggest factor in any potential price package.

If we were trying to get Dele Alli no one would care that we'd have to negotiate with Levy. We'd be getting a top class player.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Although I feel he's a good player, the amount of money he'd cost makes it a signing that isn't worth all the trouble. Levy would demand 45-50m at the very least, and one can get far better talents like Neves, Weigl and the likes for less than than this amount.
Plus, he isn't a homegrown player as well, so there isn't that added advantage

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
This is one that I could see Spurs strongly considering, at the right price.

In a 4231 Dier wouldn't make our strongest xi. I think he's now a 4th choice in central midfield, and second choice as a straight DM behind Wanyama.

Alderweireld and Vertonghen are clearly our 2 best CB's and Dier as the third would be the only one of the 3 where an upgrade could be reasonably found.

He might be useful in 3 positions but he's not the main man for us in any of them, £40m+ for such a player would be an interesting one to consider. A lot may depend on where Poch thinks CCV is in his development.

If Utd want him strongly enough this may just happen.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs

I don't like to say it but the reality is that you don't have a perch anymore, we didn't knock you off but others certainly have.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
1. He isn't a starter. 2. You have young players coming through who can play his role in midfield and defence abd are nit at his type of age that require to be more involved. 3. The money he can raise can get you both either superior specialist center back cover, and extra fire power upfront to help out Kane and Dele. 4. Levy likes business that benefits him. He'd gain loads from selling a Dier for Kong's ransom who he bought for a pittance.
He is a starter though.