Eric Dier

led_scholes

He reminds me of Andreas Ottl at Bayern back then. A player who should never play for a top team nor in 1st devision.
No idea why I keep seeing him on the pitch in the starting squad. Any explanation other than Mourinho wants to get sacked?
Just checked this guy because I could not remember him at all. What a fall for his career. So he stopped playing 7 years ago, only 28 years old. Surely a guy who had 140 caps for Bayern could at least play in the 2nd or 3rd division or was he THAT bad?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Thought he was excellent tonight. Was a proper leader out there.
I've barely watched Spurs under Jose, but from the little I've seen I've got the impression that Dier's enjoying the tutelage of Mourinho. Usually when a new manager arrives, you can expect a resurgence from certain players. Given the profile of the Portuguese manager, I suspected he'd appreciate the intrinsic tenacity from the likes of Alli, Lamela, Son and Dier. Thought he did a good job of recognizing the threat of Martial, and acting accordingly. Similarly against Chelsea, I think he did a decent job of marshalling the back line which would have presented its own challenges given the acqusition of Reguilón who was playing in your back four for the first time ... new teammates, different manager, different rhythm and context of it being a knockout game meant the Spaniard would have been eager to impress, and adapt to the rigors of English football. I could be mistaken but I think its possible that Dier's familiarity with Portuguese culture could potentially be useful in helping Reguilón settle.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've barely watched Spurs under Jose, but from the little I've seen I've got the impression that Dier's enjoying the tutelage of Mourinho. Usually when a new manager arrives, you can expect a resurgence from certain players. Given the profile of the Portuguese manager, I suspected he'd appreciate the intrinsic tenacity from the likes of Alli, Lamela, Son and Dier. Thought he did a good job of recognizing the threat of Martial, and acting accordingly. Similarly against Chelsea, I think he did a decent job of marshalling the back line which would have presented its own challenges given the acqusition of Reguilón who was playing in your back four for the first time ... new teammates, different manager, different rhythm and context of it being a knockout game meant the Spaniard would have been eager to impress, and adapt to the rigors of English football. I could be mistaken but I think its possible that Dier's familiarity with Portuguese culture could potentially be useful in helping Reguilón settle.
Yeah Dier is definitely one of Jose's favorites from what I can tell. His move to central defense I think was the right move for his career though he is still quite inexperienced in that position but I think he will grow into a very good defender. He has a fantastic attitude and I can see why Jose really likes him. The Portuguese connection must help also.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Just checked this guy because I could not remember him at all. What a fall for his career. So he stopped playing 7 years ago, only 28 years old. Surely a guy who had 140 caps for Bayern could at least play in the 2nd or 3rd division or was he THAT bad?
Well, for a 3rd division team most likely not, but for 1st division teams (after Bayern he went to Hertha and Augsburg) was definitly too less.
Not sure why he finished though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't see the hype from first few posts about him at CB at all, he's ponderous there.

When he first break through at Spurs he was effective enough in the DM position. Big problem in last 18 months is his accuracy of passing has massively declined, constantly gives the ball away move for some reason.
Yay I actually got something right on here for once. :lol:

People were going way over the top about him in October when he was being lauded for essentially heading away long punts from likes of Burnley and West Brom. There's more to being a top class CB than that and he's been brutally exposed in last few months against the best teams in the league.

Spurs will have massive clearout at CB now as have to think they'll move on all of him, Sanchez and Toby. Rodon obviously gets a pass for being young and new to premier league. Doherty hasn't worked out either so wouldn't shock me if he went back to Wolves.

Robbie Boy

Also has an air of cockiness around him where he thinks he’s better then he actually is. So glad we didn’t sign him ahead of matic all those years ago...
Thank christ Jose didn't manage to spend £50m on him. Imagine the state of our team if he got his way and signed the likes Willian, Dier and Perisic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Where would you like to be buried ?
Eric Dier " I'd like to have my ashes scattered in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium"
:lol:

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Worst CB in the top 10. Would honestly take Luiz over him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Worst CB in the top 10. Would honestly take Luiz over him.
Whoah now, lets not get carried away.

Dier is average, hes another player that sort of hit a ceiling at Spurs, like Winks and Sanchez, and never improved.

jeepers

Definition of an overrated English player, but some of the defending there doesn't look too different from Maguire's this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Genuinely amazed he's lasted as long as he did at Spurs.

Wasn't playing that much towards end of Poch's spell. He left in November 2019 so pretty impressive he's still there nearly 4 years on.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Genuinely amazed he's lasted as long as he did at Spurs.

Wasn't playing that much towards end of Poch's spell. He left in November 2019 so pretty impressive he's still there nearly 4 years on.
He's been fortunate that Spurs have hired 2 dinosaur managers since Poch. He doesn't get anywhere near the starting lineup for a PL manager who wants to play a progressive front-foot style of football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's been fortunate that Spurs have hired 2 dinosaur managers since Poch. He doesn't get anywhere near the starting lineup for a PL manager who wants to play a progressive front-foot style of football.
Yes think he's had it now as Postacoglu usually plays a back 4 so it will be Romero + two new signings battling it out.

Read Spurs are in for Tapsoba who I thought looked a terrific prospect 2-3 years ago at Leverkusen but no idea if he's kicked on but still very young so Spurs could do worse.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He should go back to a smaller league. Could probably even bully a few strikers / opposition defenders in Serie A, but certainly not a Prem player these days I don't think.

surf

Where would you like to be buried ?
Eric Dier " I'd like to have my ashes scattered in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium"
:lol:
Levy: I've got good news and bad news.
Dier: What's the good news?
That will be done.
Dier: What's the bad news?
We're doing it tomorrow.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Any defense that leaks 63 goals is going to get the chop. It's not just Dier, Sanchez and Tanganga should go as well.

Spurs linked with 2 youngish CB's in Tapsoba and Van De Ven.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thank christ Jose didn't manage to spend £50m on him. Imagine the state of our team if he got his way and signed the likes Willian, Dier and Perisic.
I'd forgotten we were linked to him back then. Yikes.