Eric Dier

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
And in regards to Upamecano: Dier simply gives you constant 7/10 performances, while Upa gives you 9/10 but sometimes drops in some 2/10.
Thats the perfect description of Dier.

What i also really like about him is that he doesnt take any unnecessary risks. If the pressing is intense he rather hoofs the ball forward instead of trying to find the perfect solution with a risky pass.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
What happened here? Didn't Kim start out for Bayern like a house on fire?
He started "good" i would say but the never formed a good pair with Upamecano. Maybe because of the language barrier, maybe because both are pretty quiet and shy on the pitch, i dont know.

De Ligt was injured at the beggining of the season but he is clearly our best defender. Dier and de Ligt get along very well, so they are the current starters.

I expect de Ligt and Kim to be the main defenders next year though.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Not bad for a guy we only got because he’s friends with Kane and under no circumstances because he can play. :lol:

Blackwidow

He can't speak english or german
He speaks atleast a basic english to be able to communicate. But I guess he rather is shy and not the biggest organisator. From the abilities the pairing probably would be Kim and Upa - but none of them really is able to organize an attack - and de Ligt and Dier just understand each other very well and seem to be a match. That is sometimes the most important.

GameOn

People always fail to realize that communication and chemistry with your teammates is way more important for defenders compared to being athletic freaks or highlight reel players.

Dier is a guy who always gives you a performance between 5/10 and 8/10. Nothing fancy, but also never a really bad one.

Upamecano and Kim might have a few 9/10 and even 10/10 games here and there, but also like to drop in a 1/10 stinkbomb at the worst time.

Those are the performances that could end your whole season. You can't have that, especially not in the CL.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not bad for a guy we only got because he’s friends with Kane and under no circumstances because he can play. :lol:
He's still rather shit, I guess facing Arsenal in the CL where they shrink under pressure (and lack star power up front) and playing in the BL suits him better. He was genuinely poor in the PL in his last few seasons with Spurs. I don't know why you guys are trying to rewrite that when you'd most likely never seen him play before Bayern.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Dier looked alright yesterday, not tested much by that ghost of a forward named Havertz.

Will be a different story vs. Real Madrid

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He's still rather shit, I guess facing Arsenal in the CL where they shrink under pressure (and lack star power up front) and playing in the BL suits him better. He was genuinely poor in the PL in his last few seasons with Spurs. I don't know why you guys are trying to rewrite that when you'd most likely never seen him play before Bayern.
I didn’t try to rewrite anything. I’m just making fun of the people who confidently claimed, that Dier is some sort of make a wish kid, who only got into the squad because he knows Kane.
He suits our current style very well and was available on a budget. He was a very smart transfer from the beginning and is now outperforming expectations. And while only few would have thought he’d make the first team, it wasn’t an absurd notion that he’d make a good fourth choice cb for us, like many on here and elsewhere pretended. which is funny. Because if there is one club who’s fans should know how much impact a players environment has on performances, it should be United.
Him knowing Kane was a plus. But pretending it’s the sole reason we got him was always ridiculous.

Stadjer

He started "good" i would say but the never formed a good pair with Upamecano. Maybe because of the language barrier, maybe because both are pretty quiet and shy on the pitch, i dont know.

De Ligt was injured at the beggining of the season but he is clearly our best defender. Dier and de Ligt get along very well, so they are the current starters.

I expect de Ligt and Kim to be the main defenders next year though.
You rate de Ligt higher than Kim?

Marco van Basten was very critical about de Ligt last week... again. He said that de Ligt hasnt improved since Ajax and still dives into challenges too much. That de Ligt still hasnt learned to defend in a more relax way and that de Ligt used to be better on the ball. That being said, Marco van Basten isnt a great pundit.

Lee565

Not great but better than casimero for sure and same could be said as better than phillips for england

GameOn

Marco van Basten was very critical about de Ligt last week... again. He said that de Ligt hasnt improved since Ajax and still dives into challenges too much. That de Ligt still hasnt learned to defend in a more relax way and that de Ligt used to be better on the ball. That being said, Marco van Basten isnt a great pundit.
The de Ligt case is one of the weirdest ones I can remember.

Pundits and even his coaches always seem to criticize him for whatever reason, but if you actually watch him play, he is good to great in the vast majority of the games, very rarely has a underwhelming game and is clearly (!) the leader and best player on that Bayern defense.

Ask any Bayern fan and they will tell you exactly the same.

Very weird stuff.

Stadjer

Pundits and even his coaches always seem to criticize him for whatever reason, but if you actually watch him play, he is good to great in the vast majority of the games, very rarely has a underwhelming game and is clearly (!) the leader and best player on that Bayern defense.

Very weird stuff.
Yes agree. It is weird but i think it comes from how important he was for Ajax. He was extremely young during that Ajax semi final run and i suppose people expected him to become the best defender in the world after that. He hasnt reached that level quite yet but he is still young but has a ton of experience already.

Some claim that de Ligt failed at Juventus too, is a benchplayer for Bayern and shouldnt play for our national team.

tomaldinho1

Very weird stuff.
I think you also have to ask yourself why Van Basten is the voice of authority on how a CB should play, the guy was a phenomenal player but he's about to turn 60 and never played that role...I feel like De Ligt pissed off a load of the Dutch guys by turning down Barca.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Based on this season I guess everybody would do that. But that's more due to how badly Kim performed this season. Last season it would probably have been different.

Oranges038

Genuinely forgot he went to Bayern.

One for the did he really play for them thread in a few years.