Erik Lamela

Mercurial

Erik 'Spitting Llama' Lamela
Proper repeat offender nutjob that one, FA and VAR loosing rep over this.

Red Panda

I think the ref handled the Martial red situation all wrong, which I am very puzzled by. Why would he not consult with VAR and get the right decision to book both of them I don't know. Lamela going down like he did is pure scumbag cheating in the realms of Rivaldo, Simeone, Suarez etc but I blame the ref more for his ineptitude in his handling of the situation. I really don't like it that refs can make some horrendously rubbish decisions which can wreck games and then are untouchable post match. Fines then being given to managers et al for criticising the refs afterwards.

Luke Shaw on Lucas Moura was a definite red but again the ref got it completely wrong. It was as plain as day red. How did the ref, two ref assistants (lines people), the fourth official, and VAR not come to that conclusion? Don't get me wrong I'm glad Shaw didn't get and red and be banned for 3 games but the ref and his support were so ludicrously wrong it's crazy.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Go ahead, show us this solid compilation of Bruno dives with us when he was barely touched. And be sure to include the actions where Bruno got another player sent off.

We are waiting.
Just type into google “Bruno Fernandes dive vs” and then take your pick.

An obvious favourite is Crystal Palace but there’s several others including one against Spurs that even VAR in its current iteration of giving everything didn’t condone.

You don’t need to get another player sent off to be a cheat. I actually think it’s quite funny that some are so blinkered they don’t think Fernandes dives. :lol:

Kane has gone down plenty easy as well and has dived. Doesn’t mean I’d lie about it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I am still trying to figure out how he didn't get a red card too. His elbow was much worse than Martial's little slap, and his dive was just embarrassing. At the time of the incident I thought for sure both players were going off. Does anyone have an explanation as to why Martial was the only one showed a red? I know that before VAR it was always the person who reacts that gets caught. But these days there's no excuse. Both should have been sent off...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

An obvious favourite is Crystal Palace but there’s several others including one against Spurs that even VAR in its current iteration of giving everything didn’t condone.

You don’t need to get another player sent off to be a cheat. I actually think it’s quite funny that some are so blinkered they don’t think Fernandes dives. :lol:

Kane has gone down plenty easy as well and has dived. Doesn’t mean I’d lie about it.
There is a huge difference between embellishing a foul and faking an injury. Unfortunately in todays game refs don't give fouls unless a player hits the ground, so unfortunately diving has become a part of the game. What Lamela did yesterday has no place in the game. He faked an injury with one purpose. To try and get another fellow professional kicked out of a game. That is unacceptable. If he was on my team, he wouldn't play for 3 games as a self imposed suspension. And the worst part is that even in the days of VAR, he got away with it....

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is a huge difference between embellishing a foul and faking an injury. Unfortunately in todays game refs don't give fouls unless a player hits the ground, so unfortunately diving has become a part of the game. What Lamela did yesterday has no place in the game. He faked an injury with one purpose. To try and get another fellow professional kicked out of a game. That is unacceptable. If he was on my team, he wouldn't play for 3 games as a self imposed suspension. And the worst part is that even in the days of VAR, he got away with it....
I don’t think there’s much difference and honestly I don’t think there would be as much stink about it had it been against another team - unless I missed the James Rodríguez thread . The ref had already blown the whistle and was taking out his card before Lamela even laid down.

GioF

Loads dive and cheat unfortunately. The incident between Lamela and Martial prove even WITH VAR it’s still a problem.

That being said...Lemela is a bitch.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don’t think there’s much difference and honestly I don’t think there would be as much stink about it had it been against another team - unless I missed the James Rodríguez thread . The ref had already blown the whistle and was taking out his card before Lamela even laid down.
You don't think there's much difference between taking a dive/embellishing a foul to win a free kick compared to faking an injury to try and get a fellow professional kicked out of a game? Really? So when we see Rivaldo fall to the floor at the corner flag you think that's the same as someone falling to the ground after having their shirt grabbed??? Wow...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You don't think there's much difference between taking a dive/embellishing a foul to win a free kick compared to faking an injury to try and get a fellow professional kicked out of a game? Really? So when we see Rivaldo fall to the floor at the corner flag you think that's the same as someone falling to the ground after having their shirt grabbed??? Wow...
Cheating is cheating, Lamela was a prick no qualms in saying it, but someone taking a dive in the box is cheating also. Was Bailly's stamp on Kane fair play in your eyes? Was Shaw's scything tackle on Lucas fair play?

Posh Red

Spurs have been a bit of a shithouse team for a while now. Jose being there has just added to that behaviour. The game where they lost the title against Chelsea was honestly horrific

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not really no. I feel like embellishment is embellishment.

The only thing I don’t condone is someone lashing out and hurting someone.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Cheating is cheating, Lamela was a prick no qualms in saying it, but someone taking a dive in the box is cheating also. Was Bailly's stamp on Kane fair play in your eyes? Was Shaw's scything tackle on Lucas fair play?
That's like saying "a crime is a crime" and comparing murder to a speeding ticket. Bailly also should have been sent off and I don't know how VAR didn't pick that up. As for Shaw, it was a professional foul and he rightfully got a yellow card so I'm not sure what else you would be looking for there....

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's like saying "a crime is a crime" and comparing murder to a speeding ticket. Bailly also should have been sent off and I don't know how VAR didn't pick that up. As for Shaw, it was a professional foul and he rightfully got a yellow card so I'm not sure what else you would be looking for there....
Shaw’s was not a professional foul. You have to at least feign that your going for the ball. You can’t just scythe down players from behind without being anywhere close to the ball whatsoever and think it’s just a yellow.

Joe Ralls was given a red for a very similar tackle on Lucas a couple years ago and I’ve seen Xhaka get red for similar as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm saying its all part and parcel of the game, been going on probably since football began. its just emphasised now due to HD and camera angles. One of the all time greats in football cheated and it goes down as folk lore rather than actually cheating.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Shaw’s was not a professional foul. You have to at least feign that your going for the ball. You can’t just scythe down players from behind without being anywhere close to the ball whatsoever and think it’s just a yellow.
It was so a professional foul. He tripped him on purpose. That is the exact definition of a professional foul. To foul on purpose to stop an attack. It was a yellow card offense and nothing more. No idea what you're on about with this one...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm saying its all part and parcel of the game, been going on probably since football began. its just emphasised now due to HD and camera angles. One of the all time greats in football cheated and it goes down as folk lore rather than actually cheating.
One of the all time greats cheated to score a goal. It sucked, but it's still way different than faking an injury to try and get another player sent off...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It was so a professional foul. He tripped him on purpose. That is the exact definition of a professional foul. To foul on purpose to stop an attack. It was a yellow card offense and nothing more. No idea what you're on about with this one...
One of the all time greats cheated to score a goal. It sucked, but it's still way different than faking an injury to try and get another player sent off... Its all cheating to gain an advantage and it should all be frowned apon.

He didn't trip him :lol: . He scythed him down, it wasn't a clip of the heals or an obstruction. he left the ground and was clearly out of control during the tackle. Like I said not particularly proud of Lamela.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s excessive force and dangerous conduct to scythe someone down like that from behind when you’re nowhere near the ball. This wasn’t a shirt pull or a little ankle tap.

As I said before Joe Ralls was sent off for a very similar challenge against Lucas a couple years ago. Which brought about one of my favourite football quotes where Neil Warnock said it shouldn’t be a red because it didn’t endanger his life. :lol:

James Peril

Horrible argumentation and rebuttal attempt, have a word with yourself. Football is about integrity/morals and no professional footballer will discuss Shaw or Bailly today. The former was just frustration and the latter was hardly intentional. Shaw deserved a red card naturally, but every footballer at any level has done the same when losing a game. Not like he’s trying to hide the fact it is? And please don’t use the word cheating for an open tackle like that, heaven’s sake. Is scoring from an offside position also cheating and against the good conduct of the game?

Lamela is first of all going for Martial in an intentional attempt to get a reaction. Job done, he is pinched in the jaw and suddenly goes to ground like he was shot in the stomach, slow-motion like it’s some scene from Narcos on Netflix. The morals of a Buenos Aires pick-pocket and professional integrity that is 100% certain to be remembered by other players facing Lamela going forward. His tough guy attitude is as fake as the color of his teeth. It’s very frustrating that deviant behavior like this is not condoned retrospectively by the governing bodies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
One of the all time greats cheated to score a goal. It sucked, but it's still way different than faking an injury to try and get another player sent off... Its all cheating to gain an advantage and it should all be frowned apon.

He didn't trip him :lol: . He scythed him down, it wasn't a clip of the heals or an obstruction.

I saw it. It was a foul worhty of a yellow card. Not sure what anyone else wants from this. If you don't think this was a professional foul then you obviously don't know what a professional foul is

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Horrible argumentation and rebuttal attempt, have a word with yourself. Football is about integrity/morals and no professional footballer will discuss Shaw or Bailly today. The former was just frustration and the latter was hardly intentional. Shaw deserved a red card naturally, but every footballer at any level has done the same when losing a game. Not like he’s trying to hide the fact it is? And please don’t use the word cheating for an open tackle like that, heaven’s sake. Is scoring from an offside position also cheating and against the good conduct of the game?

Lamela is first of all going for Martial in an intentional attempt to get a reaction. Job done, he is pinched in the jaw and suddenly goes to ground like he was shot in the stomach, slow-motion like it’s some scene from Narcos on Netflix. The morals of a Buenos Aires pick-pocket and professional integrity that is 100% certain to be remembered by other players facing Lamela going forward. His tough guy attitude is as fake as the color of his teeth. It’s very frustrating that deviant behavior like this is not condoned retrospectively by the governing bodies.
Not sure what sport you’ve been watching...

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I saw it. It was a foul worhty of a yellow card. Not sure what anyone else wants from this. If you don't think this was a professional foul then you obviously don't know what a professional foul is
Yeah and I’m sure Gary Neville on commentary doesn’t know what one is either eh? :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I wasn't giving a rebuttal mate, I dunno where you get that from. I am in no way condoning what Lamela did, and rather he hadn't of done it, so I don't have to have a word with myself thank you very much. I didn't say fouling was cheating, I said diving/faining a foul was cheating, please read what I said before coming on spouting.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It’s excessive force and dangerous conduct to scythe someone down like that from behind when you’re nowhere near the ball. This wasn’t a shirt pull or a little ankle tap.

As I said before Joe Ralls was sent off for a very similar challenge against Lucas a couple years ago. Which brought about one of my favourite football quotes where Neil Warnock said it shouldn’t be a red because it didn’t endanger his life. :lol:
No it's not. It was a foul. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a trip. A trip is a yellow card in a situation like that. The only injury that can come from this is a possibly a shoulder injury if he fell awkwardly. No danger of injury from the actual contact. It's not SFP. It's a foul. That's it. Yellow card and you move on. It was a professional foul. He did it on purpose before he got into scoring position where a trip could result in a red card. it is the exact definition of what a professional foul is. As for Warnock, he's just an idiot. If Lucas was sent off for a similar challenge then it was probably for DOGSO, not SFP. This was just a trip. That's it. If you think it's more than that then I don't know what else to say...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No it's not. It was a foul. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a trip. A trip is a yellow card in a situation like that. The only injury that can come from this is a possibly a shoulder injury if he fell awkwardly. No danger of injury from the actual contact. It's not SFP. It's a foul. That's it. Yellow card and you move on. It was a professional foul. He did it on purpose before he got into scoring position where a trip could result in a red card. it is the exact definition of what a professional foul is. As for Warnock, he's just an idiot. If Lucas was sent off for a similar challenge then it was probably for DOGSO, not SFP. This was just a trip. That's it. If you think it's more than that then I don't know what else to say...
This is laughable, Shaw made a lunging, scything tackle and its a trip, Neville him self a fecking former right back and United player says it twice, a "red card". Anyway we are getting off topic.

Lamela was all sorts of wrong in that situation, I would have been seething if I was a United fan.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah and I’m sure Gary Neville on commentary doesn’t know what one is either eh? :lol:
If gary said it was a red card then he is wrong too. A trip doesn't warrant SFP and he was too far away from goal for it to be DOGSO. So what would the red card be for????

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This is laughable, Shaw made a lunging, scything tackle and its a trip, Neville him self a fecking former right back and United player says it twice, a "red card". Anyway we are getting off topic.

Lamela was all sorts of wrong in that situation, I would have been seething if I was a United fan.
I don't care if Neville said it's a red card. He's wrong. Red cards are given for SFP (which a trip doesn't fall into that category) or DOGSO (it was too far from goal to be DOGSO). It was a professional foul. Yellow card and you move on...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If gary said it was a red card then he is wrong too. A trip doesn't warrant SFP and he was too far away from goal for it to be DOGSO. So what would the red card be for????
Its a dangerous tackle from behind, Shaw is lucky he made contact with a non standing leg. If Lucas' leg is planted when that tackle comes in it could be a very different outcome. Shaw was in no control of the tackle, its a dangerous.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I dunno if I'm in the minority but, if I was a Spurs fan, I'd be delighted by Lamela. He made, what could have been a difficult game, much easier by buying the sending off. Yes, he should have gone too but that's the refs fault. The fact he didn't go and gave a pacy Spurs team a man advantage when they were already leading mentally murdered Man Utd.

Lamela shows that Spurs have taken Jose's words about becoming nastier to heart. They went out there yesterday wanting to win. They were going to do whatever it took to win. Our team, by contrast, is full of nice guys. Lamela's not going to win any awards for sportsmanship. However, Spurs got the three points. I'm sure that's what matters more to him, as it should.

NinjaFletch

I'd agree with you it's a bad tackle, but I'm not quite sure I can agree it's a blatant red. It's definitely not denying a goal scoring opportunity, and I'm not convinced it falls into the criteria of excessive force (in fact I'm convinced that it pretty much is exactly covered by the definitions of 'reckless' that the laws provide, which is punished by a yellow card).

It is a very cynical yellow card challenge, but I'm not at all surprised that neither the referee nor the VAR team thought it was more than that.

GenZRed

This sort of play-acting BS is why I hate modern football.

Along with VAR and the amount of monye in the sports. In a few months though I will be able to kiss goodbye to football culture, or at least club football due to changes in my life which will make not watching/following football a lot easier.

No I am not making those changes to DIRECTLY get away from football, but it could be a side consequence.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'd agree with you it's a bad tackle, but I'm not quite sure I can agree it's a blatant red. It's definitely not denying a goal scoring opportunity, and I'm not convinced it falls into the criteria of excessive force (in fact I'm convinced that it pretty much is exactly covered by the definitions of 'reckless' that the laws provide, which is punished by a yellow card).

It is a very cynical yellow card challenge, but I'm not at all surprised that neither the referee nor the VAR team thought it was more than that.
I have very little faith in either :lol: , Lamela is a prime example.

arthurka

Wayne Rooney got a red card couple of years back for something similar.

It´s not clear as night and day but I agree with you that the ref could easily have awarded Shaw with a red card there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Should a excessive force only be if the player gets injured though? if Lucas' leg is planted when that tackle comes in, hes gonna get injured.

Untd55

One of the all time greats cheated to score a goal. It sucked, but it's still way different than faking an injury to try and get another player sent off...
That is what all dives are about. Yes, most only end in a freekick, but they would be happy with the player being book or sent off. A lot of players have been sent off because someone dived in the past, and it can be to specifically get them sent off.

It has been in the game for ages, and has become an accepted part.

What I don't really get in the circumstance is: if it was deemed a red card offence, why was a penalty not given as well?

RedDevil@84

Its a dangerous tackle from behind, Shaw is lucky he made contact with a non standing leg. If Lucas' leg is planted when that tackle come in it could be a very different outcome. Shaw was in no control of the tackle, its a dangerous.
You are talking with a lot of "what if". If that and if this doesn't make any sense. The decision has to be taken on what happened. A tackles from behind is not the same as kick on shins with studs or something

I wouldn't have been surprised if he got a red, but it is not a stonewall red. Yellow for that looks acceptable. It is not a last man foul.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Its a dangerous tackle from behind, Shaw is lucky he made contact with a non standing leg. If Lucas' leg is planted when that tackle comes in it could be a very different outcome. Shaw was in no control of the tackle, its a dangerous.
Try and twist it all you want. A trip is not SFP. It's a professional foul. That's it. No idea why people are looking for more than that? We see this all the time :lol: :lol: :lol: