Erik Lamela

meninred

i am surprised the ref didnot see the VAR and send Lamela off too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not only did Martial let him get away with it, he made it a huge win for him. Lamela will he absolutely delighted with what Martial did, as will Mourinho. The "slap" didn't inconvenience Lamela in the slightest, but it did play a big part in him ending up on the winning team.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Because he gave him a slap. Which was deserved.
He gave Lamela exactly what Lamela wanted. A reaction that did him no harm whatsoever that he could use to get a red card shown.

Lamela sadly got away with it totally.

If Martial had not reacted at all and banged a hat trick or knocked Lamela's teeth out, he would've given him what he deserved.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I don't blame him, players dropping to the floor over nothing is part of the game now. The people in charge of VAR is the problem, they should be there to help eradicate some of this.

Both should have just got a yellow or sent off, determining one action worse than the other is ridiculous and just reinforces the behaviour.
You dont blame him?
I do. The utter cheating prick.

Next time I hope he is given a good reason to go to the deck like that. A disgrace and a cheat.

Irrational.

Marital should've properly punched him in the fecking throat, given him a real reason to go down and stay down. At least the red card would've been worth it against that dickskin and pathetic excuse for a footballer.

starman

You dont blame him?
I do. The utter cheating prick.

Next time I hope he is given a good reason to go to the deck like that. A disgrace and a cheat.
Did Martial make contact? Yes
Was it worse than what he did to Martial? No
Was it enough to make him go down? No

Thats what VAR is there for and not to be swayed by play acting, which is what happened with the referee.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He’s been at Spurs for eight seasons now. Has achieved absolutely feck all - today likely the most memorable moment of an entire career.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Highlighted this a few weeks back when Rodriguez went down holding his face and rolling around on the floor with minimal contact from Gibbs resulting in Gibbs getting sent off. A lot of posters on here in the match day thread defended Rodriguez saying Gibbs should not have went in with his arm regardless of James going down too easy or not. I didn't disagree with the sending off as Gibbs was just silly, as was Martial today, but I feel that simulation and play acting should also be punished in an effort to distinguish this from our game.

Send a player off for lashing out, but also send the other player off if they have been found provoking an opponent, creating a situation, and play acting. Managers will soon learn they cannot have their players costing a game for this. Managers don't have a leg to stand on trying to defend any of their players doing this and I don't see any reason why the refs cannot look at a replay to determine if a player has indeed went down too easy trying to con the officials.

Martial was very silly, what he should have done was walk away and let the ref know that Lamela had raised his arm to his throat/head, cause a situation where the ref would need to consult with VAR and Lamela actually would have been the one walking down the tunnel.

LVGSdive

It's shameful but it's part of football now. Unfortunately for Martial he didn't go down like he was punched by Genaddy Golovkin so didn't get Lamela sent off.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ok Martial is dumb, but what is the point of VAR if Lamela gets a yellow and Martial a red rather than the other way around? It's the exact sort of situation that VAR is supposed to unfeck. Yet, here we are, the ref still makes the rules as he goes along.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont know why our players didnt put any pressure on the ref.

Refs dont do crap all unless u pressure them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Out of interest, do you advocate Lamela’s behaviour today? I think if Martial had dropped to the floor initially the story would have been different. Lamela was the smarter of the two today that’s for sure
Lamela played it smart and used the dark arts to full effect. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him sent off as well so we were a bit fortunate. He is a total shithouser but i love him for it. Every team needs one. You guys used to have a master at it in Herrera and you loved him for it too.

shahzy

He gave Lamela exactly what Lamela wanted. A reaction that did him no harm whatsoever that he could use to get a red card shown.

Lamela sadly got away with it totally.

If Martial had not reacted at all and banged a hat trick or knocked Lamela's teeth out, he would've given him what he deserved.
Or these players have to wise up to mourinho team shithousery. Lamela is a dumbcunt, you know that, i know that, we all know that. How come the players dont know that? Its obvious hes trying to get a reaction out of you so you can get sent off. Same was clear with Diego Costa. Why not use that against players like that, you know they are easy to provoke, make him do something stupid and fake the injury just like a cnut like lamela does. Get him sent off.

Its not something i like but its something that needs to be done in the game as the rules are. Martial should have been smarter

Fridge chutney

Lamela played it smart and used the dark arts to full effect. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him sent off as well so we were a bit fortunate. He is a total shithouser but i love him for it. Every team needs one. You guys used to have a master at it in Herrera and you loved him for it too.
When did Herrera ever get anyone sent off? I seem to remember Gerrard's studs stamping on his ankle, but that's about it. Plus, key word here is used to. I have never hated Spurs until this year. Will be fun to see the Mourinho implosion.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Did Martial make contact? Yes
Was it worse than what he did to Martial? No
Was it enough to make him go down? No

Thats what VAR is there for and not to be swayed by play acting, which is what happened with the referee.
Lamela cheated to get a fellow pro sent off in a despicable way. He's a cheat.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Marital should've properly punched him in the fecking throat, given him a real reason to go down and stay down. At least the red card would've been worth it against that dickskin and pathetic excuse for a footballer.
:lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lamela cheated to get a fellow pro sent off in a despicable way. He's a cheat.
But it's the culture of players like him. He's over rated and a cheat

It'll come back to haunt Spurs and no one will be crying

Eddy_JukeZ

Martial should have decked this clown and got a worthy red.

The way he reacts to a love tap is disgusting.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
How can a grown human fall to the ground after that?

It's beyond pathetic & it's time the media finally did it's duty/job & call all un-sportsman like behaviour out instead of passing it off with mundane & unacceptable statements like- he went down a bit too easy, he was looking for it, it was a bit soft etc etc etc.

Crap all round from everyone in the game as they cheat & Lamela should -like all cheats- be given something like a 3 or 4 game ban.

I can't stand a few things in the game these days & this is well & truly one of them.

Hang him at dawn?

steeeb

Why doesn't martial tell the ref properly he got elbowed in the face and to look at the screen. He just stands at the corner flag waiting to go have an early shower.

Where's the captain in all this too? Where is One on the touchline harassing the 4th official telling them to watch the reply Ole has quite clearly seen on his own screen if he missed it on field.

Untd55

The time for complaining about this stuff is over, to be honest. Football has well and truly become a pussy sport, and it has been accepted like that for a while.

Remember when diving used to appear in newspapers and was commented on all the time? You don't get that as much anymore; it has become an accepted part of the game really.

This is the way football is now, whether people like it or not.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What Lamela did was classic shithousery. Of that there can be absolutely no doubt.

That said the lack of self awareness from some posters when I could come up with a solid compilation of Bruno Fernandes dives when he’s only been with you for half a season says that some are truly blinded by bias.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What Lamela did was classic shithousery. Of that there can be absolutely no doubt.

That said the lack of self awareness from some posters when I could come up with a solid compilation of Bruno Fernandes dives when he’s only been with you for half a season says that some are truly blinded by bias.
Not even Bruno would goto ground from that tap.

shaky

We need a Roy Keane type of player for these situations. Lamela wouldn't have survived until half time.

Member 90887

Go ahead, show us this solid compilation of Bruno dives with us when he was barely touched. And be sure to include the actions where Bruno got another player sent off.

We are waiting.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Not in the situation with Martial wich i am talking about...
It was, as per the match report:

29'
Booking
Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur) is shown the yellow card.
28'
Dismissal
Anthony Martial (Manchester United) is shown the red card for violent conduct.
This I think is the important rule in IFAB, under 'Sending Off offences > Violent Conduct'
In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
The basic jist is that arms flapping about in the box are generally yellows because it's a foul yes, but it's not an 'intentional' whack in the face - or at least it's not clear cut like that. The problem with Martial's reaction was it was just that - it didn't really matter how he reacted or if he was hurt - he reached around and slapped his chin. It's just how the rules are written.

The odd one was Shaw's. A 'Sending Off Offence' is also listed as:

• denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below).
• serious foul play
with later elaboration on 'serious foul play':
Serious foul play
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

As per the commentary and MOTD and most of the world it would seem, it's really confusing as to why the referee (beyond the application of the rules) didn't see that as a red. I'm probably preaching to the wrong audience, but it seemed a bit odd to me.

In the general holistic analysis, ignoring the nuances of the rules, it seemed to me that the most obvious 'red cards' by factor of malicious intent were:
- Shaw chopping down Moura with full intent
- Bailly's causal stud-stand on Kane's leg
- Martial's reaction

It's crazy really that the two actual incidents that could have caused serious injury with seemingly some intent were considered 'less punishable', but probably highlights the problem with the rules these days. I'm pretty sure the Shaw one was always a straight red in the past - seen 'em for more genuine accidental ones.

I seem to recall the VAR stuff being more obvious in the World Cup, with them showing an icon when it was happening, whereas now we are left to wonder if it was even involved.