Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And for anyone that is interested, ten Hag is a big believer in backing up the eye test with data science. And in his recent interview with Sport 1, he conducted the interview whilst working on his lap top crunching the data numbers for his Ajax team according to Patrick Berger the journalist who was interviewing him.

He literally eats and breathes football as they say.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How many of our players have this attitude to development? We are more likely to hear moans to the press.
The ones that don't have the attitude and application will be shown the door imo. If ten Hag embraces the football department like I expect he's going to do, then things will happen quickly.

Tavern in the town

I usually don’t respond to newbies, but hang on.

Victim mentality? What are you on about? Even during the Fergie years the media hardly wrote or spoke positively about United, come off it.
This is the exact thing every fanbase thinks. Literally every one. If you go onto a Liverpool/City/Arsenal/Brentford/Colchester United forum they’ll be convinced the media hate them. And probably the refs too.

AndySmith1990

This is the exact thing every fanbase thinks. Literally every one. If you go onto a Liverpool/City/Arsenal/Brentford/Colchester United forum they’ll be convinced the media hate them. And probably the refs too.
Pretty much. Was looking at the premier league matches thread earlier and it's kinda sad to see how we've basically become RAWK with the constant moaning about refs being bent and the other team being incredibly lucky. It's exactly the same crap they used to say about us, minus the Fergie having the FA in his pocket conspiracies.

copen1945

I am glad he is highlighting the shortcomings of the club. I also hope that he will be an instigator for a wholesale change.

croadyman

How many of our players have this attitude to development? We are more likely to hear moans to the press.
Oh yeah this bunch of primadonnas would rather go and moan to their agent than actually take the criticism on board and look to improve

Gazza

I look at what's happened with Elanga under Ralf and it gives me hope that playing time will be contingent on being receptive to the coach's ideas. That's my hope going forward, at least.

United in sin

Good, get someone experienced.
With united links and preferably Dutch though, that's the sole reason it seems Van Persie is even being mentioned. Great strategy. Van Der Gouw hasn't been mentioned yet. Jaap Staam is interested.

Rockets Redglare

Not sure if serious but RB Liepzig are not an average Bundesliga club and they're worth more than Ajax
There’s zero chance of them winning anything in the German league. Surely the whole point of him moving is to go to a big club where he can prove himself?

United in sin

There’s zero chance of them winning anything in the German league. Surely the whole point of him moving is to go to a big club where he can prove himself?
What exactly makes you think they have zero chance of winning anything? They have an excellent structure there that Ragknick put in place from scratch.

They are now a regular CL club and were only formed in 2009. Their recruitment structure is among the best in Europe expanding across Red Bulls clubs around the globe.

If anything Liepzig have a bright future and could be the one club that breaks Bayerns strangle hold in years to come and Hag could play a big part in that

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

This is the reason why he needs an ex-coach or ex-player to be there. The minute details that he wants to change will have a lot of resistance if he doesn't have someone who is an ex-United to execute the changes.
I cant see him coming in to change things quickly otherwise.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
RB Leipzig wouldn't exist without their billionaire owner who is worth a estimated £20b. And when you have that sort of financial backing, it's not difficult for a Sporting director to succeed at a club that provides potentially huge financial backing.

So it always makes me laugh when I hear people say that 'Rangnick created things from scratch' when that wouldn't have been possible without the redbull owner who is among the richest owners in the world.

EtH also made comments recently about losing players to other clubs and how it was frustrating for him because he wanted to compete for the UCL and constantly having to rebuild the team was annoying. So I'm not sure joining another club in a different league who also have numerous players that use the club as a stepping stone is a good idea in that regard.

United in sin

Which reports said he wanted "full control"?
Not full control, but they're probably making a reference to these reports and similar

https://www.footballtransfertavern....rizio-romano-reveals-ten-hag-demands-man-utd/

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/10/gary...be-warning-erik-ten-hag-against-job-16441741/

Speaking on the Gary Neville Podcast, he said: ‘I read this morning that Erik ten Hag wants all these demands met or else he won’t come to the club. You imagine [what will happen] if in the next week or 10 days they can’t get Ten Hag over the line because of what’s happening at the club and how bad the club is and the state that the club is in.

‘You look at what Manchester United are doing to players currently, there isn’t a player that has grown really. Look at what they did to Van de Beek, and if you’re Ten Hag I think you’re on the phone to Van de Beek and you’re asking, “What’s it like there Donny?” He isn’t going to be saying anything good, is he?

‘So I suspect that Ten Hag’s demands – not financial demands but control, recruitment, structure, youth – are about not being exposed to what other managers have been exposed to in this last 10 years.

‘And that may be too much for Manchester United, and I suspect they’ve got maybe a difficult week or two. I still think they may get it over the line, but the reports this morning were such that Erik ten Hag’s demands are maybe going above and beyond [what United will accept].’

He continued: ‘It all feels like it’s eggs in one basket with Ten Hag, but if they can’t get him over the line, what a position for Manchester United to be in if they can’t get a manager to come in that wants to come in because of his demands about the way the football club is run.

‘And if you’re Ralf Rangnick reporting in to Ten Hag and answering him honestly, which I suspect he will be, and if you’re Van de Beek answering him honestly, which I suspect he will be, and we know Edwin van der Sar is over there [at Ajax] who will be speaking to Ten Hag honestly.

‘They’ll be saying, “Be very careful, be very careful about going to Manchester United” because it can be a graveyard at this moment in time for reputations.

‘Ralf Rangnick came in with an incredible reputation, and he still has that reputation, but he’s now starting to be wounded by what’s happening around him and he looks weaker and more vulnerable on the touchline because of the performances of the players on the pitch that are nothing to do with him.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

Journalists are doing the rounds, contradicting one another. The silence is an opportunity for this nonsense. It's disrespectful of the club to announce this while Ajax have pivotal games left.

Also I think now is the perfect time if your a manager signing for United to make strong demands. If PSG don't sack Poch that's almost 20 million for him to be acquired. The reality is that Ten Hag has always been the first choice, Enrique was never in the running due to world cup.

sglowrider

How many players in the current squad fall under this category? Wanting to improve every day?

sglowrider

Not full control, but they're probably making a reference to these reports and similar

https://www.footballtransfertavern....rizio-romano-reveals-ten-hag-demands-man-utd/

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/10/gary...be-warning-erik-ten-hag-against-job-16441741/

Speaking on the Gary Neville Podcast, he said: ‘I read this morning that Erik ten Hag wants all these demands met or else he won’t come to the club. You imagine [what will happen] if in the next week or 10 days they can’t get Ten Hag over the line because of what’s happening at the club and how bad the club is and the state that the club is in.

‘You look at what Manchester United are doing to players currently, there isn’t a player that has grown really. Look at what they did to Van de Beek, and if you’re Ten Hag I think you’re on the phone to Van de Beek and you’re asking, “What’s it like there Donny?” He isn’t going to be saying anything good, is he?

‘So I suspect that Ten Hag’s demands – not financial demands but control, recruitment, structure, youth – are about not being exposed to what other managers have been exposed to in this last 10 years.

‘And that may be too much for Manchester United, and I suspect they’ve got maybe a difficult week or two. I still think they may get it over the line, but the reports this morning were such that Erik ten Hag’s demands are maybe going above and beyond [what United will accept].’

He continued: ‘It all feels like it’s eggs in one basket with Ten Hag, but if they can’t get him over the line, what a position for Manchester United to be in if they can’t get a manager to come in that wants to come in because of his demands about the way the football club is run.

‘And if you’re Ralf Rangnick reporting in to Ten Hag and answering him honestly, which I suspect he will be, and if you’re Van de Beek answering him honestly, which I suspect he will be, and we know Edwin van der Sar is over there [at Ajax] who will be speaking to Ten Hag honestly.

‘They’ll be saying, “Be very careful, be very careful about going to Manchester United” because it can be a graveyard at this moment in time for reputations.

‘Ralf Rangnick came in with an incredible reputation, and he still has that reputation, but he’s now starting to be wounded by what’s happening around him and he looks weaker and more vulnerable on the touchline because of the performances of the players on the pitch that are nothing to do with him.
Where there are problems, there are opportunities.

It might be the best time to demand your requirements as a manager now than at any time in the last 10yrs, especially after last Saturday's performance.

croadyman

Where there are problems, there are opportunities.

It might be the best time to demand your requirements as a manager now than at any time in the last 10yrs, especially after last Saturday's performance.
Yeah too right he should be demanding every single little thing needed to operate successfully

Really good interview here, in Dutch, with Ten Hag. Worth throwing into your Translate site of choice.

This answer is very relevant to today's news:

Who or what determines your next step?
“I want to work for an organization with a clear philosophy, attainable ambitions and honest people. If I don't have that idea, I don't start it. The last thing I want is to look over my shoulder to make sure they don't shoot me in the back.”
Some other potentially United relevant quotes:

You sometimes sound a bit fatherly when you talk about your players.
“Sometimes I am a father to the team. Some players are very young, they have to make choices with big impact. I can only set the standard and monitor it. If a player is not honest, I intervene hard. Nor do I have anything to do with exalted behavior or ego-tripping. I always have to guard my authority as a coach. When my authority is gone, everything is gone.”

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

How many players in the current squad fall under this category? Wanting to improve every day?
Regarding the individual video analysis thing, it reminds me of when LVG used to send our players their video analysis and they did not like it :lol:

Hopefully we get players who have attitudes like Tadic.

sglowrider

Does this work? I archived a translated link.
Cheers!

If a player is not honest, I intervene hard. I also don't like lofty behaviour or ego-tripping

Not sure how he will deal with this current squad then. Maybe he really is being serious when he said that it will take 5 years to fix things.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Regarding the individual video analysis thing, it reminds me of when LVG used to send our players their video analysis and they did not like it :lol:

Hopefully we get players who have attitudes like Tadic.
I guess it goes against the idea of 'going out and expressing yourselves.'

United in sin

RB Leipzig wouldn't exist without their billionaire owner who is worth a estimated £20b. And when you have that sort of financial backing, it's not difficult for a Sporting director to succeed at a club that provides potentially huge financial backing.

So it always makes me laugh when I hear people say that 'Rangnick created things from scratch' when that wouldn't have been possible without the redbull owner who is among the richest owners in the world.

EtH also made comments recently about losing players to other clubs and how it was frustrating for him because he wanted to compete for the UCL and constantly having to rebuild the team was annoying. So I'm not sure joining another club in a different league who also have numerous players that use the club as a stepping stone is a good idea in that regard.
Every successful club has been bankrolled by wealthy benefactors. I mean Newton Heath was saved from ruin by John Henry Davies almost exactly 120 years ago. Manchester United's story began that fateful day of April 24, 1902 thanks to him and others. Rangknick indeed didn't build the Red bull clubs but he was very instrumental in putting in place the structure that saw them rise swiftly to the powerhouse they collectively are

Last edited: