Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We paid 80m for a CB because we had a dinosaur managing us with a hard-on for building a British spine at the club.

There were far better options available if the scouting department did their job.

Maguire had never been in the PL team of the season before joining United(atleast that's what I remember, might be wrong).
Yes blame Ole but simply forget the manager previously pined and threw a tantrum for the club NOT wanting to sign Maguire for £80M, the far more accomplished manager in Jose, might I add.

RuudTom83

All these quotes are great until you remember this squad pressed for a total of 30 mins for the last new manager.

We can all hope it will be different for Ten Hag but the last 10 years have taught me to expect very little.

Mike Smalling

I’m liking that this is only a three year deal. When we inevitably fire him midway through his second season, we have to pay him much less.

We are learning!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All these quotes are great until you remember this squad pressed for a total of 30 mins for the last new manager.

We can all hope it will be different for Ten Hag but the last 10 years have taught me to expect very little.
That is why he will need time and people need to get their heads round that. Find out which players can press if coached properly to do it, that is the big point. They need to be coached. Not just thrown out there and told to press. The ones who cannot, replace with ones who can. It really is that simple, but as I said it will take time. The players listen and do as they are told and it will slot into place.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I hope people are patient with him, Klopp was given time to dismantle Brendan's Liverpool which took about 2-3 seasons and which produced a lot of turbulent form.

A similar job will be required here, a lot of shrewd signings and farewells will be needed. Start with the players who are the end of their contracts to free up wages and then bring in a defensive midfielder to kick things off.
Agreed with this, which is also shocking, considering how much money went into assembling this squad. That's purely on Ed and the Boards cluelessness and jumping from manager to manager without an iota of a plan or forward thinking.

I think RR was brought in as interim but the main focus was to assess the club, structure, squad etc. and his real value will come during his 2 year consulting gig - if it hasn't been felt already with whatever input he has had with us bringing in ETH.

DomesticTadpole

Now, why the feck would the players be consulted? We are not running a club by committee. If they are not satisfied they can feck right off - a lot of them should be doing that anyway!
Fully agree with you there. They should have no say in how the club is run, they are employees, under performing employees who will now be on trial.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Now, why the feck would the players be consulted? We are not running a club by committee. If they are not satisfied they can feck right off - a lot of them should be doing that anyway!
It's been suggested by Luckhurst that the players were consulted in the past by the board. But this time they haven't been consulted with Murtough taking the lead.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

It's been suggested by Luckhurst that the players were consulted in the past. But this time they haven't been consulted with Murtough taking the lead.

Music to my ears, even if it might be speculation.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Glad they didn't consult the players. Are they finally making sensible decisions?

This is the first appointment of a manager 'on the up', without Ed Woodward in charge and a brand new board structure. There should hopefully be less fecking stupidness going forward.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This is why it's important to have more several people with power above the players (Glazers not included because they're so detached). Good for Murtough to just go ahead with it. I'm pretty sure he saw the current players as all talks and no results. The second thing is to ignore pundits commentary too. They're pundits, they're not there to help the club mainly, they're employed by other organization. So I would add let there be a period of no player and no pundits power running in the club. For ex-players it depends on their capacity, someone like Fletcher should obviously have a say. Pundits like GNev can feck off, just take his opinion with a pinch of salt. They're just there to stir up controversies. If you're so good and knowledgeable and care about the club, why should you use the media to talk about it/complain other than to boost views? walk up to the club, have a discussion and maybe find yourself a position if you are really capable. That is the proper way. Unfortunately most of them failed at management in smaller clubs. I'm sure they would have done way way worse than Ole given the chance. Ole has become a bit of a meme recently but his achievements in Norway alone towers above what GNev, Scholes and Roy Keane have in that aspect.

Last edited:

United in sin

People say this about every manager we sign just because of the dopamine hit. No one knows if he'll be any good for us, plenty of Eredevisie managers and players looked great at Ajax and then were rubbish elsewhere.
True. I'm very cautiously optimistic considering the last two Ajax managers who moved on didn't last more than one season in their next appointment

That's one, I'll give you that.
Who were the last managers at Ajax that went on to be successful at another big club, or the Eredevisie in general? Genuine question?
Van Gaal had the most success after he left Ajax to manage Barcelona in the late 90s. Ronald Koeman won two league titles with Ajax before moving on to Benfica and helping them knock out united in the CL group stage in 05/06 and knocking Liverpool out in the first knockout stage. He failed to win the league with Benfica before leaving them a year before his contract was up though. Martin Jol, Frank De Boer and Peter Bosz didnt excel and failed to replicate their Ajax achievements elsewhere

I'm a fan of Ralf, but he barely coached the last decade and his track record wasn't exactly filled with silverware. Don't think thkse two are anyhow comparable
He did however get Liepzig to finish third in 2018-19 after his long absene from coaching before appointing Nagelsmann

R'hllor

Yes blame Ole but simply forget the manager previously pined and threw a tantrum for the club NOT wanting to sign Maguire for £80M, the far more accomplished manager in Jose, might I add.
Would you say that Ole and JM are same/similar type of managers?

alexanderplatz

I like ETH in theory I just fear the club will not change to help him bring about his vision. Players still have all the power and I don’t see the club taking the managers side when it comes to disputes.
I may be wrong but the same unperforming players are still playing week in week out, the same ‘leaks’ are being tolerated and the likes of pogba are being offered a new deal despite doing nothing in his whole time at the club. None of that is encouraging to me.

I hope I am wrong and that we are about to see a change, I just don’t see any signs that we are actually doing something to fix the structure rather than just saying we are

soapythecat

If ETH does become our manager....it's looking that way. I honestly won't care about league position next season (obviously, I expect top half!) if I see the following;
Clear out of players who don't fit in or continue to put in little effort on the pitch - sell/loan/drop
A style of play which is obvious and improving. When Klopp took over at Liverpool, they were getting beat but the whole world could see what they were trying to do. You sensed it was just a matter of time and good player acquisitions that were needed. If I see that with ETH, then I care little about defeats here and there. If the football is attractive and positive, then there are bound to be bumps in the road because it takes a certain style of player.
I feel the structure of the club now is set up for ETH to achieve the above. It will depend on the Glazers to how fast he is able to achieve the above but I honestly feel for the first time post SAF, that the club could be on the right path. I never once felt it under Ole (aside from the first 5 games when I thought all my Christmas had come at once), I knew Jose would end up like it did, I listened to what Bayern fans said about LVG's football and they were correct, and anyone who watched the PL around the time knew Moyes certainly wasn't the man for us.

goptun

Most of your recent managers, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Ragnick, etc. are individuals who were/are obsessed with football. So these quotes or stories about Ten Haag aren't a new or great insight.

The most important thing, which City and Liverpool have done, is create a working structure around the manager and given them complete authority.
Even Arsenal have done that for Arteta.

If United don't give him a good support structure and a free hand to build his teams, even Ten Hag will fail.
Loads has been written about how the footballing structure at United has been completely overhauled. If any manager had the right setup to succeed at United since Fergie, it's Ten Hag.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The current signs point to a paradigm shift within the club and its hugely encouraging.

Jon Murtough has long been admired in football circles as a quality football person and more than capable DOF the problem he’s had is his role wasn’t clear in previous years and he was working under a narcissist in Ed Woodward who was woefully out of his depth but seemingly incapable of recognising his own faults.

We now have Arnold, who is making some excellent moves so far. Tim will of course tell, the Bruno contract and rumoured Pogba offer have been a negative sign and the proposal to renew Shaws is also a strange one. I think the manager needs crate Blanche to basically make any changes he deems fit. I wouldn’t rush into new deals for any player until pre season starts.

mctrials23

That is why he will need time and people need to get their heads round that. Find out which players can press if coached properly to do it, that is the big point. They need to be coached. Not just thrown out there and told to press. The ones who cannot, replace with ones who can. It really is that simple, but as I said it will take time. The players listen and do as they are told and it will slot into place.
Can press is a bit of a weird one. Pressing is simple. It just requires a willingness and the fitness to do it. If a player isn't doing it, its because they don't want to or think they don't have to. As well saw in RRs first game. Even a super rudimentary press against weak opposition is really effective. As teams know against us, any sort of press will lead to a myriad of mistakes.

The players simply weren't fit enough to sustain it and didn't want to do it as a result. I think RR tried his best but the players just had 0 intention of even meeting him half way.

Because as a club we treat the players like entitled children. You know, the sort that ask their child what they want for dinner every day and give them 10 options. The sort that pussy foots around the child and makes sure that the child rules the roost.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
We should sign him as soon as possible, before he ends up in Bayern or Chelsea.

DomesticTadpole

Can press is a bit of a weird one. Pressing is simple. It just requires a willingness and the fitness to do it. If a player isn't doing it, its because they don't want to or think they don't have to. As well saw in RRs first game. Even a super rudimentary press against weak opposition is really effective. As teams know against us, any sort of press will lead to a myriad of mistakes.

The players simply weren't fit enough to sustain it and didn't want to do it as a result. I think RR tried his best but the players just had 0 intention of even meeting him half way.

Because as a club we treat the players like entitled children. You know, the sort that ask their child what they want for dinner every day and give them 10 options. The sort that pussy foots around the child and makes sure that the child rules the roost.
Think pressing also takes some intelligence and being able to retain and follow instructions, some people just cannot do it.