Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Probably because at one point they were the only ones at the club who had any clue about football, Ed Woodward certainly didn't
Hopefully that's still not the case. I mean, which of our stellar performers have we been consulting on the way forward I wonder given their standard over the past 9 years.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ten Hag also appeared to give an insight into how he would go about his first steps as United boss when asked what had changed since the start of his time at Ajax. He explained: "The beginning is always difficult. You don't know the club yet. I got there under certain circumstances, and then you go to work.

"Before you introduce your ideas to the squad and they accept them, that takes time. A coach can't perform magic, although some media and people seem to think they can. Put your team out there and it'll be fine.

When asked if a summer period to prepare is crucial, he replied: "Of course it is, in order to get your team to function there are so many aspects you need to train over and over again. Before you get there, you need to find the right balance. That takes time, with ups and downs. And with downs, people start to criticise, that's part of the deal, you need to deal with that.

"But it's important to follow your own path. That doesn't mean you don't listen to other people, but if you as the coach of Ajax start to let all these different opinions influence you, you end up going in all directions, and the players won't understand."
Really like his quotes here and are obviously relevant.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This really is a gamble. His CV isn’t quite what you would expect and he’s no spring chicken. Could definitely pay off though, undeniably impressive at Ajax.

Tarrou

I expect the Glazers are confused about lots of things in football, most of it even

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Because as a club we treat the players like entitled children. You know, the sort that ask their child what they want for dinner every day and give them 10 options. The sort that pussy foots around the child and makes sure that the child rules the roost
Can’t help thinking of Rio complaining that Moyes took the chips away.

Kaos

And people think they’re bad owners who don’t understand football.
Let's be honest, they don't really. They just looked at Poch's stint so far at PSG where he hasn't won anything of note with a big club and thought "eh, why him?", completely oblivious to the magnitude of his achievements at lesser clubs.

For the record I'm delighted we shunned Poch in favour of ETH, but I think its silly to be confused as to why Poch is a coveted manager.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This really is a gamble. His CV isn’t quite what you would expect and he’s no spring chicken. Could definitely pay off though, undeniably impressive at Ajax.
Getting the right structure above him and around him, which we seem to be doing makes it less of a gamble in my opinion. Without that he'd be doomed from the outset.

mctrials23

Think pressing also takes some intelligence and being able to retain and follow instructions, some people just cannot do it.
Some players are better than others at it but you could see that RR had our players doing it at a basic but effective enough level on day one. It wasn't mind blowing but it was better than nothing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Some players are better than others at it but you could see that RR had our players doing it at a basic but effective enough level on day one. It wasn't mind blowing but it was better than nothing.
Just don't think they have the energy to do it. It has been a problem for years. Think the training will now be geared towards being able to sustain pressing for a full game. We seem to only run for one half of a game. Without us being privy to the training it is difficult to know. Maybe we concentrate on speed and strength rather than adding in stamina. Yet not sure we are blessed with an awful lot of speed all over the pitch either.

Jackal981

It's been suggested by Luckhurst that the players were consulted in the past by the board. But this time they haven't been consulted with Murtough taking the lead.

Good. feck the players. If they wont buy in then they should be sold. Chelsea had player power back then but they were serial winners. Most of our bunch never won anything that matters in their career

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Think pressing also takes some intelligence and being able to retain and follow instructions, some people just cannot do it.
Everyone can do it, as long as the coaching staff is good enough to give clear instructions. After that it's a matter of repetitions on the training pitch.

RedDevilRoshi

Good. feck the players. If they wont buy in then they should be sold. Chelsea had player power back then but they were serial winners. Most of our bunch never won anything that matters in their career
Precisely. Music to my ears that the players aren’t being given say on who the new manager is to be.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just don't think they have the energy to do it. It has been a problem for years. Think the training will now be geared towards being able to sustain pressing for a full game. We seem to only run for one half of a game. Without us being privy to the training it is difficult to know. Maybe we concentrate on speed and strength rather than adding in stamina. Yet not sure we are blessed with an awful lot of speed all over the pitch either.
The issue for me is we never seem to press as a cohesive unit. Pressing is more about timing and structure than it is just having energy to get around.

So often we see Fernandes sprinting alone at a defender and they just pass it sideways, nobody else is following up.

Or we will see somebody run at a defender, but get easily beaten by a little feint and then the press is ruined. It feels like we just tell the players we want to press, but we don't actually seem to understand how to do it.

We lack the tactical fouls that are required to make it work either. City/Pool don't always win the ball on the first opportunity, but they'll damn well make sure you don't advance the ball.

Anyway, I'm not even sure that ETH will be wanting to press like crazy - I think most of his work will be in possession which is where we struggle the most IMO. I'd love to see us combining with 3/4 players 1 or 2 touch passing it up the pitch and making runs off the ball like his Ajax side managed.

The performance they had in the away leg against Madrid played some of the best football I've seen in a while.

gica_7

Look I understand the underwhelming tenure of Poch in PSG. But it is a tough environment for anyone, especially with Poch's playing style. Poch was overrated for a while but now he has become underrated. He turned that Spurs team into something and reaching to CL final is a no joke. Counting on PSG experience so much is a little harsh.

I enjoyed watching Ajax teams since 2019. I am contend with ETH appointment but I am kind of confused by the crushing ETH favoritism by our fans. But either of the two candidates would be better than any manager we had since SAF. United is a very difficult club to flourish. I just hope our incompetent board learned just a bit from their mistakes. It has become frustrating and tiring to watch two of my most hated teams dominating this league for so long. Hope ETH will bring us contention.

JPRouve

Scout
Look I understand the underwhelming tenure of Poch in PSG. But it is a tough environment for anyone, especially with Poch's playing style. Poch was overrated for a while but now he has become underrated. He turned that Spurs team into something and reaching to CL final is a no joke. Counting on PSG experience so much is a little harsh.

I enjoyed watching Ajax teams since 2019. I am contend with ETH appointment but I am kind of confused by the crushing ETH favoritism by our fans. But either of the two candidates would be better than any manager we had since SAF. United is a very difficult club to flourish. I just hope our incompetent board learned just a bit from their mistakes. It has become frustrating and tiring to watch two of my most hated teams dominating this league for so long. Hope ETH will bring us contention.
It most definitely is a joke. Especially when you consider every other seasons in the EL and CL, that final was a big outlier.

Grande

Can press is a bit of a weird one. Pressing is simple. It just requires a willingness and the fitness to do it. If a player isn't doing it, its because they don't want to or think they don't have to. As well saw in RRs first game. Even a super rudimentary press against weak opposition is really effective. As teams know against us, any sort of press will lead to a myriad of mistakes.

The players simply weren't fit enough to sustain it and didn't want to do it as a result. I think RR tried his best but the players just had 0 intention of even meeting him half way.

Because as a club we treat the players like entitled children. You know, the sort that ask their child what they want for dinner every day and give them 10 options. The sort that pussy foots around the child and makes sure that the child rules the roost.
Not overcomplicating stuff is good. There is also the risk of oversimplifying, like comparing pro footballers to five year olds and saying pressing is just about the willingness to do it.

As Rangnik, also Mourinho and even Solskjær, has pointed out several times, pressing depends not only on effirt, but also collectice competence and on confidence. Rangnik has several times implied that it’s not about the will of the United players, but that they lose confidence when they have set backs.

High pressing, and even aggressive mid block or low press, depends on being able to trust that everybody in the team agrees on who presses who, and the timing of it. If one guy goes too early, or cuts the wrong passing lane, he will leave a hole that turns the press into an opening for the opposition. Solkjær started imposinf more proactive press at least three times in his time here, and the players went for it, but when they didn’t do it well enough, they were punished, and after a lost belief and one, then two, then four, would do it cautiosly and it would unravel. Then Solskjær would fall back on a more secure style to get the results. Mourinho also had a try at this, orobably felt he had to, but gave ip quickly.

Rangnik started establishing a mid block medium aggression press, and tried to get the olayers to press more aggressively in bouts from there, and then tried to lift the press higher after that worked. Two problema arose: We were not lethal enough to get paid for all the high recaptures, and when we let in a goal or admit a chance, dome of the players would start to get nervous about when and how hard to press, and create openings for thw opposition, leading the whole team to fall back and get cautious. This is a natural consequence - not of them caring too little - but rather of them caring too much, being desperate to win and getting afraid to fail.
These are not spoilt five year olds, they are young men who has spent about every hour of their lives dreaming of reaching the pinnacles of football, and now they are almost there and failing time and again, being told so by thousands of voices all the way.

What they need, is a) an expert on press patterns and b) time to practice it enough to get confident about it. Solskjær and Mourinho weren’t experts on that, and Rangnik haven’t had a preaseson. The good thing abou the situation now is that when Ten Hag hopefully arrives for preseason, the players will have an idea about what he is going to implement, they won’t start on scrach. Then they will be able to practice it in games that are not be all end all.

What I fear, is that once the PL gets going, the first time someone picks apart the collective press (this happened to Pep’s City and Klopp’s Liverpool, remember), the players will get nervy and need to build back up confidence in each other and in the system in order to get really good at it. Their history of failings will not help then, neither will the commentariat of critics.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Quotes are promising. Would be great to see a manager that can improve our players. If he can get another level out of Fernandes, Rashford and Elanga that would be great.
A manager who improves players? A foreign concept to MUFC for the past 10 years

Giggs' right foot

"We'll drink, a drink, a drink,
to Erik the king, the king, the king,
he's the leader of our football team,
he has no clue, what he's agreed to,
we will breaaaaaaaak his spirit fast."

Jackal981

It most definitely is a joke. Especially when you consider every other seasons in the EL and CL, that final was a big outlier.
And his team folded like a lawn chair on the final. Plus bottling the league vs Leicester of all people. He ended up 3rd in a two horse race ffs :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So are we all going to watch our first non CL Ajax game this weekend in the cup final? :lol:
PSV from what I've seen are quite good with Roger Schmidt as well these days, and he's also leaving at the end of the season so they're in a similar position. Should be a good game between 2 attacking coaches. Can see if Madueke is any good like he is on FM.

Infra-red

So are we all going to watch our first non CL Ajax game this weekend in the cup final? :lol:
PSV from what I've seen are quite good with Roger Schmidt as well these days, and he's also leaving at the end of the season so they're in a similar position. Should be a good game between 2 attacking coaches. Can see if Madueke is any good like he is on FM.
Could be worth a watch. Ajax beat them 5-0 and 2-1 in the league.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Glad they didn't consult the players. Are they finally making sensible decisions?

This is the first appointment of a manager 'on the up', without Ed Woodward in charge and a brand new board structure. There should hopefully be less fecking stupidness going forward.
It can all be undone with a single stroke of Paul Pogba's pen

JPRouve

Scout
Probably a shitty attempt by the MEN to spice up the story.

since when players are consulted to help in hiring a manager?!
Also which players did they sideline?

The players that would be consulted are presumably leaders and players that will be under contract next season? Maguire, Varane, Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes and De Gea would be my guess and most of these players weren't there when the board appointed Ole who is the last full time manager that we hired.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Shame that Antony won’t be playing.