Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

lex talionis

It will be interesting to see who ten Hag picks if he has in front of him in May, as seems likely, both United and City as his options.

Remember the geese

2nd?? That is weird. Even though I rate Ten Hag highly, I taught he should be running away with the league. Looks like Pochettino is one of the few managers at a top league that is doing that this season. I really haven’t watch much of the league over there, but it is surprising that PSV is first.
You do give me a giggle :lol:

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It will be interesting to see who ten Hag picks if he has in front of him in May, as seems likely, both United and City as his options.
He would already know if he is succeeding Pep in summer. It wouldn’t be a late option on the table. City and United don’t plan for things like that in the same way. Pep has another year on his contract after May anyway..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why is that? With the way Ajax has been playing, I taught they would be first in the league. I don't follow the Dutch league, but in the Champions League, they are playing good football. Has psv been superior to them so far? Or they don't have the squad to compete in both?
It's a three-way competition at the top of the Eredivisie and there isn't much margin for error this season. Ajax slipped up a few times against inferior opposition (see a couple of posts at the end of the previous page), and they're paying for that. PSV and Feyenoord will continue to slip up like that occasionally, so if Ajax finally manage to get on one of their usual imperious runs, they'll still win this.

A lot like this season's EPL actually, come to think of it - with Ajax being City.
Did you just quote and reply to yourself?! :lol:
Well, I did say I was going to look up my own post. :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What am I missing, why is City an option?
It's been said in the media that City are interested in Ten Hag as well, but I don't think anyone so far has explained why Pep would be leaving his position after this season.

SAFMUTD

If we don't get him this summer we won't get him at all. Surely barca's and PSG will be interested.

Teja

Maybe urgency/motovation, but Ajax plays teams that sit very deep. Even then, they create chances but sometimes the ball just doesnt want to go in, it gets frustrating and the opposing team might get some good chances on the break.

Ajax had far higher xG than AZ and deserved to win (statistically) even if they werent great, but it is one of those matches which have happened far too often where the ball just doesnt want to go in the net. So there have been a couple of 0-0's and 0-1's but not because Ajax can't break these teams down, but a lack of clinical finishing and you need to be very very patient.

The matches were Ajax win with big numbers, they are usually overly clinical. If this was spread out better, Ajax would be comfortably 1st.
Do you have a place where we can look at xG for Eredivisie? https://fbref.com/en/comps/23/Eredivisie-Stats unfortunately doesn't seem to have it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It's a three-way competition at the top of the Eredivisie and there isn't much margin for error this season. Ajax slipped up a few times against inferior opposition (see a couple of posts at the end of the previous page), and they're paying for that. PSV and Feyenoord will continue to slip up like that occasionally, so if Ajax finally manage to get on one of their usual imperious runs, they'll still win this.

A lot like this season's EPL actually, come to think of it - with Ajax being City.

Well, I did say I was going to look up my own post. :)
Ahh I see. Thanks for the information @Cheimoon . So Ajax, are still favorite I suppose based on their form and the players they have. I guess the Dutch league is just more competitive this season as well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ahh I see. Thanks for the information @Cheimoon . So Ajax, are still favorite I suppose based on their form and the players they have. I guess the Dutch league is just more competitive this season as well.
Deeper squad also. Feyenoord's is wafer thin and will definitely drop away if they get a few injuries, and PSV doesn't have Ajax's quality and depth either.

On another note, I didn't know you and I were that similar, @Invictus!

Remember the geese

Why is that? With the way Ajax has been playing, I taught they would be first in the league. I don't follow the Dutch league, but in the Champions League, they are playing good football. Has psv been superior to them so far? Or they don't have the squad to compete in both?
It was just your uncanny ability to bring Pochettino into any conversation. As for your questions, it's my understanding that Ajax have been the dominant side in every game they've played this season in the Eredivisie and any dropped points reflect profligacy, rather than genuine poor performances.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Should we really go for 2nd best manager in the Dutch league? They're in 2nd place with the most money!? ETH could be another Ole :wenger:

Deeper squad also. Feyenoord's is wafer thin and will definitely drop away if they get a few injuries, and PSV doesn't have Ajax's quality and depth either.

PSV have a big squad. I think they've proven that now that they're in the lead having had quite a bit of injury trouble.

lex talionis

What am I missing, why is City an option?
Pep has been at City for quite some time now. There have been rumors of a departure, but I’m sure he won’t want to leave until he’s brought home a CL trophy. Right now I’d say there’s a pretty good chance this is Pep’s last season with City, regardless of whether he runs the CL trophy or not.

macheda14

Pep has been at City for quite some time now. There have been rumors of a departure, but I’m sure he won’t want to leave until he’s brought home a CL trophy. Right now I’d say there’s a pretty good chance this is Pep’s last season with City, regardless of whether he runs the CL trophy or not.
His contract runs out next season. Why would he leave before then?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

PSV is better than all other teams in de Eredivisie though and on a normal day will beat everyone (bar Feyenoord, we always beat them) (unless we lose 10-0). Ajax and PSV are equally favorite at this point in the season I think.

Feyenoord was never in the mix.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
PSV is better than all other teams in de Eredivisie though and on a normal day will beat everyone (bar Feyenoord, we always beat them) (unless we lose 10-0). Ajax and PSV are equally favorite at this point in the season I think.

Feyenoord was never in the mix.
Yeah, true. I'm underestimating PSV a bit here.

HailtotheKing

I haven’t watched Ajax play much recently but isn’t Ten Hag’s football much more similar to Pep’s than Rangnick’s? I feel the latter is more about forcing mistakes and preogressing the ball forwards quickly while the team is out of shape, whereas Ten Hag is more possession based, moving the ball around until you outnumber the opposition. Do people think Rangnick is going to prefer that? ETH is obviously clearly suited to City, not so sure about us right now in terms of Ralf.

Infra-red

I haven’t watched Ajax play much recently but isn’t Ten Hag’s football much more similar to Pep’s than Rangnick’s? I feel the latter is more about forcing mistakes and preogressing the ball forwards quickly while the team is out of shape, whereas Ten Hag is more possession based, moving the ball around until you outnumber the opposition. Do people think Rangnick is going to prefer that? ETH is obviously clearly suited to City, not so sure about us right now in terms of Ralf.
ETH is often said to sit somewhere in between the German (gegenpressing) and Dutch (possession) schools, which is perhaps not surprising, given his background.

While it's true that ETH encourages his Ajax side to build up from the back, while Rangnick is more direct and prefers to get the ball forward quickly, I think that they share many football principles (they certainly have more in common with each other than either man has in common with Solskjaer's passive counterattacking approach). I therefore think that this period under Rangnick can lay foundations that ETH could build on, rather than need to rip up.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
ETH is often said to sit somewhere in between the German (gegenpressing) and Dutch (possession) schools, which is perhaps not surprising, given his background.

While it's true that ETH encourages his Ajax side to build up from the back, while Rangnick is more direct and prefers to get the ball forward quickly, I think that they share many football principles (they certainly have more in common with each other than either man has in common with Solskjaer's passive counterattacking approach). I therefore think that this period under Rangnick can lay foundations that ETH could build on, rather than need to rip up.
A new hipster term is born!

BlueHaze

Based on whenever I've watched Ajax I still think he's my preffered choice. I really like the way they play. I think with time and good signings he could turn our fortunes around. The alternative seems to be Poch and I'm not too impressed with him tbh.

HailtotheKing

Good to know. I knew that pressing was a big part of his style and of course Ralf teaching us that as well as how to pass and move the ball would be helpful. I just wasn’t sure how closely the two of them aligned. Happy if this is the case cause I felt Poch’s football was much closer to Ralf’s than ETH. Obviously not comparing to Ole. Would prefer to give his name a rest for a bit so I can remember him fondly again.

ForeverRed1

Peps brother has signed him as a client.
I don’t trust this board not to go get him.
Will end up peps replacement.

we seem hell bent on poch

passing-wind

Don't really understand this Pep is leaving City in 2023, United need a manager come summer 2022. If the club want ETH I reckon he comes.

cyberman

Thank feck. Would rather he take over City if it means Pep fecks off

Thank feck. Would rather he take over City if it means Pep fecks off
Haha I wish it was that easy but it doesn’t matter who is managing them. City have enough money that they will win with whoever is in charge, it just might not be as ruthless and stylistic but they have enough resources to easily find the next up and coming Pep.

Liverpool however will be in a seriously bad position when Klopp leaves, almost similar to Fergie leaving us I imagine.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
peps come out and said 2023 will be his last season. From his mouth.
No, not really. Guardiola said few months ago while visiting Brazil that WHEN he leaves City he will take a break and then he will manage a national team. He didnt say he is leaving exactly in 2023. Thats when his contract expires but you know he can always agree to an extention.

SAFMUTD

What are our chances of getting him at the end of the season?
It'll depend on which clubs are in the hunt. At the moment it seems we are clear favourites, but if a club like Madrid, Bayern, PSG or City come calling we have absolutely no chance.

Giggsyking

It'll depend on which clubs are in the hunt. At the moment it seems we are clear favourites, but if a club like Madrid, Bayern, PSG or City come calling we have absolutely no chance.
I would be less gutted if we lose him to Madrid or Bayern. But PSG or City, :(.