Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
A strict type of tactical philosophy is virtually a requirement for success in today's game though. The tactics might differ a bit but what all the top level managers (Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, also next tier guys like Nagelsmann, ETH, Allegri, and Luis Enrique) have in common right now is that they are complete dictators, with very scripted movements of players and patterns of play in different phases of the game. Klopp might pretend not to be that way but just like actual heavy metal there is a high level of regimentation and discipline underneath all the noise.

If you have players who refuse to adapt to that kind of disciplined tactical game, the answer isn't to find a manager that will give them the freedom they want.
Oh I get that and agree. I just feel like I don't quite believe that the club/the media/some supporters will have the patience required.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Can't see him fancying the PSG job, but City seems to be tailormade for him
The challenge to manage in City and PSG are relatively less and I am not sure if he is ready or has the experience of the big task in Man Utd. Overhaul the squad, change the game play to positional game, withstand the pressure from the Neville after every game, and meet the expectation of the fans. Not an easy task in my opinion.

macheda14

Oh I get that and agree. I just feel like I don't quite believe that the club/the media/some supporters will have the patience required.
Based on people writing Rangnick off after him basically have 6 days of pure training I completely agree with you.

RUCK4444

The challenge to manage in City and PSG are relatively less and I am not sure if he is ready or has the experience of the big task in Man Utd. Overhaul the squad, change the game play to positional game, withstand the pressure from the Neville after every game, and meet the expectation of the fans. Not an easy task in my opinion.
The bolded is an issue I'm glad some oppo fans can appreciate. His constant opinion on the club just adds to the pressure cooker around the club.

I wish he just kept his opinions on United to himself or at least avoid adding to the issues by being so OTT.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unless there's major changes to the playing staff, I feel like this team is going to be incompatible with any manager that has a strict type of tactical philosophy. Based on playing style alone and what we've seen from these lot over the last few years, a more conservative manager like Amorim may be more suitable. I think we all would prefer something a bit more exciting in terms of our football, hence why we all like the look of ETH, but at this point there is no point trying to make two incorrect pieces fit together.
The fact that such a large swathe of our squad seem to be at least willing to move on may help us in that regard.

When the prevailing narrative was that this was a team near its peak that needed someone who could come in and win trophies immediately, a manager like Ten Hag possibly made less sense.

However the narrative now seems to be shifting towards the idea that we have more of a rebuild on our hands, with a lot of players looking to leave (and the likes of Ronaldo, Cavani, Mata and Matic nearing the end of their careers even if they stay), as well as having an obvious lack of a clear style of play in what looks to be a very confused side. In those circumstances now might be exactly the right time to bring a manager like Ten Hag in, just as we're going into a period where we will seeming re-shape the squad fairly significantly.

At this point I think it's pretty clear that our next manager will be going into next season facing lower expectations than Solskjaer faced going into this season, as they idea that we were nearing the end of a successful multi-year re-build has run aground.

Nick7

has there been any news other than "he's top of the list"? because it'd be bigger and more shocking news if he wasn't

Sviken

has there been any news other than "he's top of the list"? because it'd be bigger and more shocking news if he wasn't
There was a lot of noise over Poch a few weeks back which kind of worries me.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Why have we allowed this to happen? You look at what City and Liverpool have won, no player is allowed to be bigger than the team or the manager. Some of this lot have done bugger all yet they think they can run the club. I hope we get someone in who can weed out the troublemakers.
I was just thinking while eating my dinner it is similar to when ferguson first arrived. Albeit different in its own way. But it took ferguson what 3/4 years to turn it around.

hopefully this can be quicker. But like you say the players have too much leverage.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think that's what Ralph will do with Murtough. He'll take his notes now, go upstairs and turf out about 5-6 players and allow Ten Hag (I hope) to bring his own in.
Hopefully.

bosskeano

Who says no? Best option out there.
given the style of football...absolutely the best option out there right now

however....he would have some massive decisions to make about players b/c 6 or 7 of these guys clearly wouldn't suit his style of football

Hammondo

Agreed, I also don't think the club will allow the steps needed. I feel the club is in such massive need of modernizing their understanding, because at the moment we cannot move forward imo.

Teja

I wonder if the players will have patience let alone the fans. Imagine they go through all of these ball progression drills with Rangnick for 6 mo only for the next guy to come in and say nevermind all that I want you to actually keep the ball.

I think the Chelsea / RM way is easier to replicate for us than the City / Barca / Pool / Dortumund ways.

But then we've said no to Conte, so /shrugs

dinostar77

A parisian newspaper reporting that we are still interested in Poch but that Rangrick is recommendig ETH to Utd board as next permanent manager.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Does our board have the qualification to be trusted?
That rules Chelsea out if he doesn't want to be stabbed in the back. We lack organisation.

It's hard to tell how ruthless Liverpool and City would be because they've not need to threaten managers years now.

I can see Ten Haag turning us down like Klopp did.

We need an elite manager so desperately. It would improve us infinitely more than any player or signing could ever possibly improve us. I am praying the board can pull out all the stops for Ten Haag and actually pull it off.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I think there is a lot of shit talked in this business, if United approached him, said he will get the players he wants he will go. He can’t stay at Ajax forever and there are no other top jobs available. At the end of the day he’s managing in Holland, it’s not the same as the Klopp situation.

thebelfastboy

I can see Ten Haag turning us down like Klopp did.

We need an elite manager so desperately. It would improve us infinitely more than any player or signing could ever possibly improve us. I am praying the board can pull out all the stops for Ten Haag and actually pull it off.
Not even Pep would be able to come in and sort this sorry mess out. Would Ten Haag? I very much doubt it and throwing money at the problem is clearly just making things worse long term.

We need Rangnick to finish what he started. A clear out (hopefully) of the players who aren't committed and a root and branch restructure in the footballing side behind the scenes.

If that takes a few years so be it. People need to accept that the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Bringing Ten Haag into this mess will see another managerial career in ruins.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not even Pep would be able to come in and sort this sorry mess out. Would Ten Haag? I very much doubt it and throwing money at the problem is clearly just making things worse long term.

We need Rangnick to finish what he started. A clear out (hopefully) of the players who aren't committed and a root and branch restructure in the footballing side behind the scenes.

If that takes a few years so be it. People need to accept that the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

This. I said this after the draw against Villa, when some posters were saying we should have went for Conte. But Conte is only kicking the can down the road. We need a two year rebuild and thats being nice about it. It will take longer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

We have huge ambitions and our spending will vouch for it.

Yes, we don't have a philosophy but again we have already started making that change. Footballing people us making decisions now.

And no one has looked above the managers shoulder until this point (at United). But that will change now we have Ralf in charge (I think).

Now feck it with his demands. This is what we are and we are trying our best to change it. If you want to take that challenge, then come and take it, else we will just move on. He has proved nothing to make these kind of demands. This is not like we are talking about a Klopp, Pep or Zidane.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I do agree with you mate. Ralf absolouly needs to be given decision making power to get us out of this mess. Otherwise, I actually think it’s highly likely we will never challenge for the premier league for a few decades like Liverpool. That’s why I think maybe only a once in a generation manager can save us. Examples - like what Klopp has done at Liverpool or what Fergie did for us.

We need a manager that can turn water to wine because we will never have as good players as Man City or Chelsea. We wont be able to compete financially as our rivals money is unlimited and not dependent on results. Money for transfers could become less every year if we continue to finish outside top 4, sponsorship decreases, major stadium work is required and dividends continue to be taken.

hungrywing

Ah well, no ten Hag then. Fecking hell. :(
The timing is interesting, too.

It's almost as if people in the footballing world talk to each other. As if if you tell your interim that 'Martial is Pele reincarnate, so walk your statement back', word gets around not just via twitter or newspaper articles. Almost the way that if your CEO is a absolute tool, literally every club exec in the world talks about it because one will look like an idiot amongst one's peers if one isn't able to take advantage of him.

macheda14

The timing is interesting, too.

It's almost as if people in the footballing world talk to each other. As if if you tell your interim that 'Martial is Pele reincarnate, so walk your statement back', word gets around not just via twitter or newspaper articles. Almost the way that if your CEO is a absolute tool, literally every club exec in the world talks about it because one will look like an idiot amongst one's peers if one isn't able to take advantage of him.
It’s a month old at least. Can people stop posting tweets without sources or out of context somewhat.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

If our board can trust a manager like Ole, then ten hag should be treated like a king. However, we don't have a clear philosophy. Maybe that is why Ralf is here. I do feel like their philosophy do conflict with each other, but I think one can adapt to another.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Source, please. We need some hope to cling to.
It's from an interview published in the NRC (a quality Dutch newspaper) on December 24. The original (in Dutch) is here:

Erik ten Hag: ‘Ik kan enorm genieten. Al die mannekes met hun dromen’ - NRC

And it looks like there is a full translation available here (I didn't check carefully, but it seems like everything is there and the translation is reliable):

Erik ten Hag: 'I really enjoy it. All those guys with their dreams' - Ruetir

It's an interview about his career and approach, and issues that happened in the past year. The quote comes from the final question:
Who or what determines your next step?

“I want to work for an organization with a clear philosophy, attainable ambitions and honest people. If I don’t have that idea, I don’t start it. The last thing I want is to look over my shoulder to make sure they don’t shoot me in the back.”

hungrywing

It's from an interview published in the NRC (a quality Dutch newspaper) on December 24. The original (in Dutch) is here:

Erik ten Hag: ‘Ik kan enorm genieten. Al die mannekes met hun dromen’ - NRC

And it looks like there is a full translation available here (I didn't check carefully, but it seems like everything is there and the translation is reliable):

Erik ten Hag: 'I really enjoy it. All those guys with their dreams' - Ruetir

It's an interview about his career and approach, and issues that happened in the past year. The quote comes from the final question:
Okay, that's even worse. It looks like he's talking about DvB. Back to being despondent, people. (I'm half kidding)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Okay, that's even worse. It looks like he's talking about DvB. Back to being despondent, people. (I'm half kidding)
Which half? :) I don't see the Van de Beek link in any case. For context, here are the two preceding questions as well. As you can see from the first question here, they change subjects into a move abroad for this final bit. (I changed a few things where the translation was a bit too weird.)
That said, isn’t it time for a move abroad? According to international media, you are quite pulled.
"I cannot and do not want to worry about my future if I want to make the most of things at Ajax. The club deserves my full attention.”

A person can dream, right?
"Sure. There will come a time when Ajax and I will part. That can take a while, but it can also go quickly, because you are only as good as your last game. In Germany they say: Exulting heavenly, saddened to death. That’s why I live from match to match."

Who or what determines your next step?
"I want to work for an organization with a clear philosophy, attainable ambitions and honest people. If I don’t have that imporession, I won’t go there. The last thing I want is to look over my shoulder to make sure they won’t shoot me in the back."