Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Gordon Godot

My favourite posters on here are the ones who constantly shit on the club and its pulling power despite being proven wrong every summer. You get to spend fecking fortunes, you get given time, you have a squad full of attacking talent, you have arguably the biggest fanbase on the planet and you have the project and ego trip of restoring a fallen giant. It’s a fecking dream job for fecks sake.
Hmm. So the club is fine and dandy, we are one manager, CM, CF (delete as appropriate) from a new treble as we saw in 199899. Silly me

My favourite posters are those who love to moan about managers and players or pretend all is fine and dandy, while ignoring the reality of what is happening. When did we last look like winnging the league, I mean seriosly challenge? Or get to an FA YOuth cup final? After the smoke has now cleared on the Ole rebuild and cultural reset, do you think anything has really improved? The board finally bring in an experiend DoF, but make him interim manager and then give him a pointless consultancy role than DoF

We are MAN UTD, biggest team in the world. Why dont we demand our owners and board act like that. And that STARTs wth hring the best people to run the club and build the football structure, not with signing the latest big name player or top manager (though to be fair since Fergie we havent signed a top manager, just wannabes and those truly on the way down). Ole lets just park to one side.

Why exactly do you think we have the highest wage bill and pay stupid money to lots of players? Is it becuase that all love the club and want to come here...?

Seriously, stop being a muppet.

Gordon Godot

The biggest stadium, history, its actually a very good job.

If a manager like Ten Hag is as good as people say he is, he would be looking at the team, the players United have, the budget per summer, the youth and would probably think, yeah I think I could win them the title and I will become a legend.

People don't realise but this job has alot of things that other jobs don't. Even Klopp at Liverpool, does not get the same budget.

Chelsea, managers dont get time.

We literally give managers time, more time than we should at times to get it right.
But Klopp was offered the job, could see all these things we apparently have but also saw the clown running the place and went elsewhere. Look at what he has then achieved, with less money as you say but a far superior football structure. Kind of make my point

romufc

But Klopp was offered the job, could see all these things we apparently have but also saw the clown running the place and went elsewhere. Look at what he has then achieved, with less money as you say but a far superior football structure. Kind of make my point
Where does it say he was offered the job? The reason Klopp went to Liverpool was because of their structure. We are putting together a structure to suit modern methods.

So because Klopp said no, we are no longer able to attract managers?

Its like saying under Fergie, we couldn't attract Shearer, Hazard and the like means we will stop attracting players?

That sort of thinking is dumb. We have all the tools to attract someone like Ten Hag.

Gordon Godot

Klopp didn't want to Join Manutd = they are rubbish, they are not attractive

Also, can you please show me when we were ever interested in Pep or linked to him, or to that matter that he rejected us?

Actually, Spurs were very close to signing LVG as their manager.

Mourinho was clear was he ? only 2 seasons before that he won the PL?
PEp has made it clear in press interviews that he had a meal with Fergie before the big man retired but struggled to understand what he was asking. LVG was widely expected to retire post his World Cup stint, there were a couple of press reprots that Spurst weret interest. But that was Spurs pre Poch, the team that Fergie used to brutally dismiss.

So look at Mou before we signed him, tenures getting shorter and his fall outs worse, plus his football was always pretty dire. THere is a reason Charlton never wanted him here and why he was never considered before Ed's desperate trhow of the dice.

Seriously, you think this proves somethign?

Gordon Godot

Where does it say he was offered the job? The reason Klopp went to Liverpool was because of their structure. We are putting together a structure to suit modern methods.

So because Klopp said no, we are no longer able to attract managers?

Its like saying under Fergie, we couldn't attract Shearer, Hazard and the like means we will stop attracting players?

That sort of thinking is dumb. We have all the tools to attract someone like Ten Hag.
Klopp has made it clear that he was offered the job, fairly recently again if I am correct. So again I ask you, all is fine and dandy at MUFC and the glory days are here if we sign Ten Hag

If you think that youre almost as dumb as Ed. Maybe thats you Ed?

Gordon Godot

Can you point me towards the strucutre? My point is there isnt one. Look at teh woeful signings for stupid fees and wages. AWB and Maguire the big ones, but Sancho even if improves was still too much. Then Ronnie I fear just a sligjtly better Sancho. And the youth system, where are we in the Youth cup, a competition we used to dominate?

WHen was the last gem we uncovered for a modest fee? How balanced is our squad? Who actually makes the decisions? What is the clubs football philosophy and is this evident from youth to first team? DO we even have a DoF?

Maybe you are followign a different club?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can you point me towards the strucutre? My point is there isnt one. Look at teh woeful signings for stupid fees and wages. AWB and Maguire the big ones, but Sancho even if improves was still too much. Then Ronnie I fear just a sligjtly better Sancho. And the youth system, where are we in the Youth cup, a competition we used to dominate?

WHen was the last gem we uncovered for a modest fee? How balanced is our squad? Who actually makes the decisions? What is the clubs football philosophy and is this evident from youth to first team? DO we even have a DoF?

He said we are putting together a similar structure.

Also, Liverpool were huge wasters of resources pre Klopp. They put together an attractive structure for him and he came.

We look to be doing similar with Murtough and Rangnicks roles.

Gordon Godot

Also, Liverpool were huge wasters of resources pre Klopp. They put together an attractive structure for him and he came.

So again what is the structure we are putting together, can you tell me? We have no DoF, what is Fletcher's role, does anyone know? Ralf could have been given DoF role at end of season, but is given a 'consulting' role. Business speak for someone that is readily dispensible and can be ignored. We appoint a new CEO internally, which you only do when things are runnign well. THey are not. We should have broken the bank for VDS or a similar experienced football man. But that would mean the club being run for football reasons as opposed to Noodle deals.

We had lots of PR rubbish from club and gullible journos that we had revamped scouting, then went and signed AWB and Magure... then VDB. Hmmm. Again, are you following a different club.

romufc

PEp has made it clear in press interviews that he had a meal with Fergie before the big man retired but struggled to understand what he was asking. LVG was widely expected to retire post his World Cup stint, there were a couple of press reprots that Spurst weret interest. But that was Spurs pre Poch, the team that Fergie used to brutally dismiss.

So look at Mou before we signed him, tenures getting shorter and his fall outs worse, plus his football was always pretty dire. THere is a reason Charlton never wanted him here and why he was never considered before Ed's desperate trhow of the dice.

Seriously, you think this proves somethign?

Ohhh yes, Fergie had a meal means he was offered the job. You think a City manager will be like Oh yes I was interested in the Manutd job? You must be dumb to think that then.

Jose's tenures have always been the same, he won the title 2 years before so he was on a downhill spiral?

Go check Pep's tenures, they were 9 year tenures too?

The thinking like yours, one manager rejected us means every manager will? Is actually dumb.

gajender

They did no such things it was evolving thing irrespective of Klopp they just got lucky with the timing, this much vaunted structure have let Klopp down time and time again let's see how Liverpool fare post Klopp before singing the praises for their so called superb structure .

romufc

Instead of pointing out to others that they are following a different club, I suggest you do some research.

We have made mistakes in the past under Ed Woodward, he is now going with us changing direction too.

Richard Arnold takes over as CEO and has come out and said, football people will make more footballing decisions.

Joh Murtough and Darren Fletcher are DoF and Technical director. Murtough spent time with Ralf when he visited the Red Bull training ground. He was impressed at the set up, which is why and how Ralf is at the club now.

Dominating youth cup doesn't mean your youth is good enough, we always have youth coming through, unless you are supporting another club, you'd see this.

Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay, Elanga whilst still others waiting in the pipeline.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So again what is the structure we are putting together, can you tell me? We have no DoF, what is Fletcher's role, does anyone know? Ralf could have been given DoF role at end of season, but is given a 'consulting' role. Business speak for someone that is readily dispensible and can be ignored. We appoint a new CEO internally, which you only do when things are runnign well. THey are not. We should have broken the bank for VDS or a similar experienced football man. But that would mean the club being run for football reasons as opposed to Noodle deals.

We had lots of PR rubbish from club and gullible journos that we had revamped scouting, then went and signed AWB and Magure... then VDB. Hmmm. Again, are you following a different club.
We have Murtough who is our DoF equivalent, he leans on Rangnick as a consultant on such matters. Fletcher more on the ground to ensure the high level decisions feed through and he can report back the other way.

Arnold is in to fully delegate footballing matters to the above people, which we never really had before.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Hmm. So the club is fine and dandy, we are one manager, CM, CF (delete as appropriate) from a new treble as we saw in 199899. Silly me

My favourite posters are those who love to moan about managers and players or pretend all is fine and dandy, while ignoring the reality of what is happening. When did we last look like winnging the league, I mean seriosly challenge? Or get to an FA YOuth cup final? After the smoke has now cleared on the Ole rebuild and cultural reset, do you think anything has really improved? The board finally bring in an experiend DoF, but make him interim manager and then give him a pointless consultancy role than DoF

We are MAN UTD, biggest team in the world. Why dont we demand our owners and board act like that. And that STARTs wth hring the best people to run the club and build the football structure, not with signing the latest big name player or top manager (though to be fair since Fergie we havent signed a top manager, just wannabes and those truly on the way down). Ole lets just park to one side.

Why exactly do you think we have the highest wage bill and pay stupid money to lots of players? Is it becuase that all love the club and want to come here...?

Seriously, stop being a muppet.
How old are you? Why do you ask so many “rhetorical” questions in your posts? And why do you post like you’re on a Facebook comment section? Hmm…

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They did no such things it was evolving thing irrespective of Klopp they just got lucky with the timing, this much vaunted structure have let Klopp down time and time again let's see how Liverpool fare post Klopp before singing the praises for their so called superb structure .
Noted. I dont think anyone called their structure superb for what its worth.

gajender

Noted. I dont think anyone called their structure superb, by the way.
It wasn't directed at you to be honest but more towards the poster you quoted who seem to be on one man mission to convince everybody how United is just doomed and it simply can't be saved .

bringbackbebe

I do not think Liverpool in 2014 had a better structure than we do right now, both in administration or in football. If Liverpool as a project was attractive, we would be several times that. We've made some mistakes along the way, and that's how you learn.

We have been putting pieces together in the right direction since at least 2020. The signings in the last couple of years except VDB have mostly been good (Sancho will hopefully improve). We are having a good youth setup with many players coming through. We still have some of the best fans in the world and a brand that is instantly noticeable when you mention it. On top of it, we've been very soft with firing managers unless shit hits the roof. We could have gone for fancy interims, but we targetted bringing in the one man known for building structures. Our finances have been rock solid in spite of poor form.

Its only a matter of time before all of this pays off. It would foolish to turn down based on short to medium term dip in form.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yeah, you're not wrong on this, but that's basically why we've brought Rangnick in. To [hopefully] rein this stuff in and start buying players to play in clear positions with a clear tactic in place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It wasn't directed at you to be honest but more towards the poster you quoted who seem to be on one man mission to convince everybody how United is just doomed and it simply can't be saved .
Ah fair enough!

BorisManUtd

Don't think Enrique will be available before World Cup finishes and that's in December, so he's unlikely. Not sure about Lopetegui. Pochettino and ten Hag are probably 2 most likely candidates. Good to see that no one's mentioning Rodgers anymore.

Andy_Cole

Klopp didn't want to Join Manutd = they are rubbish, they are not attractive

Also, can you please show me when we were ever interested in Pep or linked to him, or to that matter that he rejected us?

Actually, Spurs were very close to signing LVG as their manager.

Mourinho was clear was he ? only 2 seasons before that he won the PL?
Joe Cole has also said that the Liverpool media team forced him to say he turned down united. Don’t hold onto that Klopp comment so much. It may have been bad timing for Klopp and he has got on board of the Liverpool banter train to shut on us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't think Enrique will be available before World Cup finishes and that's in December, so he's unlikely. Not sure about Lopetegui. Pochettino and ten Hag are probably 2 most likely candidates. Good to see that no one's mentioning Rodgers anymore.
Unless they have Rangnick for one more season and wait. Enrique would be a decent shout.

romufc

Joe Cole has also said that the Liverpool media team forced him to say he turned down united. Don’t hold onto that Klopp comment so much. It may have been bad timing for Klopp and he has got on board of the Liverpool banter train to shut on us.
Agreed.

I mean a manager for Liverpool saying he rejected their biggest rivals, what better to get fans on side?

Same with Pep, him saying he had a meal with SAF doesn't mean he was offered the job.

it was indeed bad timing, he was on his sabbatical and we had LVG.

bosskeano

I like Poch and that he has managed in the premier league prior plus he likes bringing in young players however Ten Hag just plays the style of football i think we all want to see United playing again

We need Edwin to give us a bit of help this summer as i'd hate to see Ten Hag wait until Pep makes his decision the summer of 2023

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Everything is in place for ten Hag to succeed at United, as far as structure goes imo. We have strong structural support for the next man in, and unless the board undermine the recruitment department by giving control to the Manager, like we saw with Solskjaer, who was allowed his own personal scout, Simon Wells. Then your recruitment won't be as thorough, because you then have two factions within the club working to recruit players with the bigger faction (club's recruitment department) being undermined by the Manager and his own trusted scout. You give control to the bigger faction who have vast resources at their disposal to help you (head coach) recruit players for a shared goal, towards a particular footballing blueprint.
I agree: in theory, United have a good and modern setup now, and have started on a more modern stylistic course as well. It's maybe a bit fresh still, and it remains to be seen how well it works (Rangnick right now is a good test case), but in principle, everything appears to be in place correctly. Ten Hag would obviously understand or be made to understand this, and I don't think this would be a put-off for him. (Not anymore. He might have felt differently over the summer, for example.)

If United want Ten Hag, I think the remaining danger is offers from other clubs. For example, what happens if City offer him the job as of 2023-24? (I.e., he stays one more year at Ajax and joins City then.)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree: in theory, United have a good and modern setup now, and have started on a more modern stylistic course as well. It's maybe a bit fresh still, and it remains to be seen how well it works (Rangnick right now is a good test case), but in principle, everything appears to be in place correctly. Ten Hag would obviously understand or be made to understand this, and I don't think this would be a put-off for him. (Not anymore. He might have felt differently over the summer, for example.)

If United want Ten Hag, I think the remaining danger is offers from other clubs. For example, what happens if City offer him the job as of 2023-24? (I.e., he stays one more year at Ajax and joins City then.)
It's the first time since Fergie retired, where I've felt we can bring in a head coach like ten Hag, Nagelsmann or Enrique and provide one of the aforementioned with the structural support they require. Ten Hag has a big advantage here because the head of recruitment (Marcel Bout) and the head of European scouting (Henny de Regt) are both Dutch and have a high level understanding of the zonal, positional control principles, which Ten Hag looks to implement in a vertical axis.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's the first time since Fergie retired, where I've felt we can bring in a head coach like ten Hag, Nagelsmann or Enrique and provide one of the aforementioned with the structural support they require. Ten Hag has a big advantage here because the head of recruitment (Marcel Bout) and the head of European scouting (Henny de Regt) are both Dutch and have a high level understanding of the zonal, positional, control , which Ten Hag looks to implement in a vertical axis.
Yeah, exactly. Some people are arguing that the United job is attractive because managers have been given so much power, and while that's great for some (Conte for example), I think a lot of the modern managers (like the ones you mention) actually see that as a downside. They rather want a good structure around them that allows them to focus squarely on getting the most out of the team.

You lose some (coaches' interest), you win some - but long-term, I think United will mostly be winning some if they persist with this structure.

Kaos

It's the first time since Fergie retired, where I've felt we can bring in a head coach like ten Hag, Nagelsmann or Enrique and provide one of the aforementioned with the structural support they require. Ten Hag has a big advantage here because the head of recruitment (Marcel Bout) and the head of European scouting (Henny de Regt) are both Dutch and have a high level understanding of the zonal, positional, control , which Ten Hag looks to implement in a vertical axis.
I hate to put a negative spin of things out of no where, but these gentlemen clearly couldn't have been doing a stellar job based off our signings in recent years :lol:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

If we stay on the current trajectory, Ralf can be with us another season.

Strelok

Forget about structure, forget about transfers, history fanbase blah blah the very first thing and most important authority of any coach or any manager is to choose their lineup as they wish. You feck them over that and no fecking top one gonna come. We all know the Ronaldo story this season. Also the "marketable players". As long as we don't cut off that shit no top, in demand manager gonna come. Only the washed up, over the hill, outdated, nobody-fecking-want or mercenary ones. Period.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hate to put a negative spin of things out of no where, but these gentlemen clearly couldn't have been doing a stellar job based off our signings in recent years :lol:
Ever heard of Ole Solskjaer and his personal scout Simon Wells? Or Mike Phelan and his former player at Hull, Harry Maguire?

Last edited:

NK86

For some the top dollar is not that important but their career, their achievements, their ideas, their legacy etc. And it's not like those in demand managers could not get another top dollar elsewhere. We're not the only club who pay the top dollar.

But we're probably the only top club who prioritize financial and marketing success over football. There were reports on Conte asking us to not force him to use the marketable players if he signs for us for example.

Those in demand managers are often very confident of themselves so I don't think us giving more leeway to a dip of form matters much here. In fact if any manager actually want to sign for us because of that I'd say we should stay away from that one. Because they don't believe much even in themselves.

Truth is we're not patient as many here think. Klopp would be sacked in his first season for finishing 8th in the league and forcing our lazy primadonas to run their bollocks off. Or for dropping Ronaldo for his gegen pressing style. We just lack the football people at the top who, with enough of football knowledge, would be able to believe, help and support a project despite the bumping road.

Instead, we have people at the top who know feck all about football, regularly make the wrong decisions and stick their nose in where they should not. We have a huge and utterly knee jerk fanbase. The media and press love to feck us for clicks. It's definitely not a promising environment to work in, especially for a job as demanding and difficult as a manager.

If I'm Ten Hag honestly I'll choose City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern, Real over us. Even if the pay would be less. My career and reputation is simply much more important than that.
Well, all points aside, I doubt you can put yourselves in the shoes of a manager who has been offered to manager Manchester United. Some of you seem to forget that the name Man Utd still has enormous pull in world football. Madrid, when they were consistently getting knocked out of R16 in the UCL was still a massive draw for the best players on the planet. A few years of poor results are not suddenly going to make us less attractive.

Also, doesn't matter how we got there but we finished 3rd and 2nd consecutively and reached the EL semis and were runner up in those 2 seasons. So it's not like we were like Arsenal in the doldrums. As for football people not being at the helm, things are now changing and it's clear. ETH is a manager who is relatively unproven. It's not like prime Pep who will have the pick of the clubs whenever he wants. So it's not as easy to turn down a name like ours when we come calling.

As for Conte and the rumours, I think it's best to not take them as gospel.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, exactly. Some people are arguing that the United job is attractive because managers have been given so much power, and while that's great for some (Conte for example), I think a lot of the modern managers (like the ones you mention) actually see that as a downside. They rather want a good structure around them that allows them to focus squarely on getting the most out of the team.

You lose some (coaches' interest), you win some - but long-term, I think United will mostly be winning some if they persist with this structure.
If we just look at the EPL, then it's clear that the 3 head coaches (Pep, Klopp, Potter) who have been most successful in implementing a modern attacking brand of football, have heavily relied on their recruitment departments. The DoF at City has loaded the club with plenty of duds too, but state backing and Guardiola's tactical nous has made the difference.

So I've always believed that having a head coach is the way forward and not someone who is power hungry to enhance his own CV.

Teja

It's the first time since Fergie retired, where I've felt we can bring in a head coach like ten Hag, Nagelsmann or Enrique and provide one of the aforementioned with the structural support they require. Ten Hag has a big advantage here because the head of recruitment (Marcel Bout) and the head of European scouting (Henny de Regt) are both Dutch and have a high level understanding of the zonal, positional control , which Ten Hag looks to implement in a vertical axis.
That's interesting, I did not know that, thanks!

WDYT about the Rangnick -> Ten Hag transition? Possibly a longer thread but clearly Rangnick isn't a positional play kind of guy - by that I mean we haven't seen any evidence of the stereotypical positional play trainings like the pitch divided into zones, forcing players to only stick to certain zones etc. So if Ten Hag comes it'll be yet another transition in terms of the training we do.

Rangnick also emphasizes quick vertical passing (10 sec rule, shot clock in the training etc.) where as tiki taka, vertical or not, is a bit more methodical. We also don't really play for cutbacks into the 6 yd box in attack although I guess the attack hasn't really been firing so we don't really know what Rangnick wants.

Not to say there aren't any transferable skills - We have a new structure to us pressing opposition goal kicks which has been working fairly well. Also build up patterns with Fred dropping to LB sometimes, Bruno to RB at other times, Ronaldo dropping deep to provide the link up and all of these have been working pretty well.

---------------- McT ---------------------
--- Fred ---- Maguire -- Varane ---

was a structure we've repeatedly seen last game. Very similar player position wise to what Chelsea do with

--------------- Jorginho --------------
--- Rudiger -- Silva -- Azpi ------

Also is it possible that Rangnick won't recommend Ten Hag at all for a permanent hire?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's interesting, I did not know that, thanks!

WDYT about the Rangnick -> Ten Hag transition? Possibly a longer thread but clearly Rangnick isn't a positional play kind of guy - by that I mean we haven't seen any evidence of the stereotypical positional play trainings like the pitch divided into zones, forcing players to only stick to certain zones etc. So if Ten Hag comes it'll be yet another transition in terms of the training we do.

Rangnick also emphasizes quick vertical passing (10 sec rule, shot clock in the training etc.) where as tiki taka, vertical or not, is a bit more methodical. We also don't really play for cutbacks into the 6 yd box in attack although I guess the attack hasn't really been firing so we don't really know what Rangnick wants.

Not to say there aren't any transferable skills - We have a new structure to us pressing opposition goal kicks which has been working fairly well. Also build up patterns with Fred dropping to LB sometimes, Bruno to RB at other times, Ronaldo dropping deep to provide the link up and all of these have been working pretty well.

---------------- McT ---------------------
--- Fred ---- Maguire -- Varane ---

was a structure we've repeatedly seen last game. Very similar player position wise to what Chelsea do with

--------------- Jorginho --------------
--- Rudiger -- Silva -- Azpi ------

Also is it possible that Rangnick won't recommend Ten Hag at all for a permanent hire?
Rangnick in 6 months can only do so much imo. But if he can create the foundations for the team to impose their game on the opposition via a high defensive line, both with and without the ball, then that will be very beneficial for someone like ten Hag, because he's a coach who looks to play the game in the oppositions half. And if Rangnick can create those foundations where we're comfortable in a high line with and without the ball, then everything else will fall into place imo. Because to succeed in doing that, there needs to be a certain level of positional discipline to squeeze the pitch. I don't think it'll be a problem going from Rangnick's ultra direct vertical approach to ten Hag's direct vertical approach with a bit more emphasis on possession play. And I say that because I can see the players adapting to a slight change.

You just have to look at what Rangnick did with RB Leipzig, when he chose to bring in Nagelsmann, rather than stick with Hassenhuttl who was stylistically more in line with Rangnick's football principles. From what I gather listening to Rangnick, he prefers a head coach who is strong in his ideals in how he goes about implementing a attack minded approach. And whether that attack minded approach involves controlled chaos (gegen press) or a man marking approach to force the opposition to play it long, is entirely dependent on the head coach who is appointed.

I haven't really been following Chelsea but from what I know of Tuchel, he's a coach who also follows the juegos de Posecion (positional play) principles with emphasis on possession play. And maybe our structure from the last game is similar to Chelsea as far as defensive shape is concerned, but in possession their deeper line midfielders are of a higher technical level on the ball.

I would presume that any coach who has a distinct style of play, whether that be exerting zonal, positional control via possession in a vertical axis or someone who looks to implement a high tempo, fast transition play style with heavy emphasis on quick, vertical passes through the lines, will be considered. Ten Hag will likely figure highly in thar regard imo.

Flexdegea

AS ever, things are not quite as bleak as some say, but at the same time you seem a little rose tinted. Given our size, history and fan base, the club is a complete mess and is systematically underachieving. I dont think you can deny this? When did we last seriuously challenge for the league or indeed get to an FA YOuth CUp final. And our entire recruitment and squad managerment is a mess, deespite the PR cr*p about the overhaul under Ole, we see now the complete disaster for what it is. Again, I assume you cant disagree. So any manager incoming who is highly rated can also see all this mess. And will also see it seems nothing changes. A highly respected football structure man like Ralf being fobbed off with a consulting role and no freedom to overhaul a toxic and bloated squad. Great advert.

I dont think we are competing with Burnley for managers, at least not yet. But we are competing with the other top clubs in Europe, for whom we SHOULD be a strong choice for many. But as we descend into even more of a mess, manager will be put off. Woodward already put off Klopp, which in my view underscores what a great manager and leader Klopp is, at he immedialy saw Ed for the clown he is.

There is no rose tint. You bring the right manager in, and he funds are there, next thing you are competing again. Its mostly a mess in most people's minds because of how we are performing on the pitchthis season, and I can't deny Woodward was a tube on football side of things.

Rose tinted view would be me doing a TY and thinking we are the best team about still. I'm not saying any of that, I'm stating besides the obvious size of our name and statue in the league and abroad, and with the huge funds to rival the state sponsored clubs, we would clearly would be a top draw, and not some sort of Burnley like club, were we should be underselling the club as something that wouldn't interest the top up and coming coaches. Wouldn't be many clubs coached would knock back for us. Even Conte was near enough begging for it :lol:

Like when Liverpool got Klopp. They weren't exactly a far better proposition than at at the time on or off the pitch. But he bought into the idea of not going to Disney land, and because he's a top top coach, everything seems Rosey because they doing it on the pitch so the impression of being an amazingly run club is what everyone just sees. Its mostly down to him how they are perceived these days.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Name one football club give managers more freedom in operation than united? In fact I think, one of the problems we had in the past decade is give managers more power than what they should have. No manager (other than Sir Alex) deserves more control than what managers get at united. The club is not a graveyard of managers, these managers (except maybe DM) digged their own graves by making mistakes after mistakes after mistake with at the same time spending hundreds of millions. If ETH decides to come to united he will get financial support and time he will not get at any other club in the world.
What power to the manager you are talking about?

Glazers bought ancient Ronaldo without consulting Ole, all because SAF didn't want to see Ronnie at City...there was zero plan in that signing.
It definitely wasn't an Ole signing.

That's managerial empowerment?