Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Rake

I'm a little conflicted here. He seems to be a good choice but I thought we wanted to have proper setup that does not depend on the manager to make all the final decisions? If he is not a good fit or decides to leave in 2-3 years, we will be left kinda where we started.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We are probably his best option currently.

Whilst there are many reasons not to join United there are more reasons to join.

Any manager who believes in himself will want this opportunity to bring Manutd back to winning trophies.

Its also a very good job if you think about it:

- Terrible last few years
- Will get time to implement his philosophy
- Will get money to spend
- Will get a very good wage
Yeah I don’t disagree, I just hope he’s up for a challenge!

romufc

Yeah I don’t disagree, I just hope he’s up for a challenge!
I think he is up for the challenge but we have seen with the players, they do not listen.

Ole tried to press failed - call it lack of coaching or application
Ralf has tried and is failing too - we put it down to lack of application.

Alot of players have to go, it will allow ETH to start with a blankish canvas.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm a little conflicted here. He seems to be a good choice but I thought we wanted to have proper setup that does not depend on the manager to make all the final decisions? If he is not a good fit or decides to leave in 2-3 years, we will be left kinda where we started.
Reading the reports I don’t understand it as ETH wanting SAF like control, but more assurances around the support he’ll receive in terms of time & patience to build a squad, getting rid of players not in line with his methods/lacking commitment, transfer spend and input into signings fitting his methods etc.

There’ll still be a football department identifying players fitting into this plan and the onus would be on them/the club, to continuously identify coaches/managers with the same methods etc., which is something we’ve failed at miserably in the past.

pascell

Question time.

If ETH comes in and sidelines some of your favourite players, due to being a bad fit for his philosophy whether it is DDGs passing, Bruno's ball retention or Ronaldos pressing (or anyone else you like) in favour is lesser names, would you whole heartedly support that?
Yes, he knows who will and won't suit his system. He's going to get a long contract, this isn't an overnight job, we're talking 3 seasons time before everything should be coming together, if you're not backing him then you're in for a boring journey.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No, he does say the g; you're just not hearing it. That's common for people that aren't used to Dutch, cause it can be a fairly subtle sound, a lot like the ch in 'loch' (but a bit softer).

Actually, the g is pronounced in two ways in the Netherlands: the soft version mostly in the south, a harsher, raspier version (a bit like you're clearing your throat) in the most of the rest of the country, especially in the west. That raspy version is a sound Dutch tends to be known for, but this guy is using the softer version. That's my g as well (possibly a little softer still), and my wife and kids (who are learning Dutch as their native language alongside French) have trouble hearing it sometimes as well here in Canada. (For example, they don't always hear the difference between 'groot' and 'rood'.)

Anyway, from an English point of view, his name is thus pronounced more like 'ten huch', with 'ten' just like English 'ten' (the number), the 'u' like in 'fun' (there's that stupid English vowel shift again :) ), and the 'ch' like in Scottish 'loch'.
That's great but what's the proper pronunciation of gouda?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If things work out then I can see him staying for quite a few years. Was reading the bbc article of what he will bring to us if he joins and apparently one of his main traits is loyalty. If he’s given the time and resources then there’s no reason why he won’t succeed here. For some reason he feels different to all the other managers we’ve had after fergie.

drdoityourself

Good news. Now bring on the summer, a United fans' best time of year. Hopefully he brings van der Gaag with him. Been a fan of his name since his Motherwell days.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Great news. Hopefully he's supported - not just financially but also with the decisions he makes about trimming the bloat. We badly need to prove that talk of a cultural reset goes beyond just words.

TheReligion

Abusive
Great news. Hopefully he's supported - not just financially but also with the decisions he makes about trimming the bloat. We badly need to prove that talk of a cultural reset goes beyond just words.
If an agreement has been reached it suggests he is.

joedirt87

it's a good thing he's already bald and dons the shaved look, because he would be pulling out what is left trying to fix this thing. godspeed Erik.

L1nk

This guy said this a couple of minutes before Ornsteins tweet interestingly enough

Varun1

Is anybody else expecting anything other than the narrative of "he's never done it at a big club. Manchester United are a huge club, he's not used to that kind of pressure" from the media when he gets the job?

"Pep and Klopp had won leagues, and we're talking proper leagues here. Frank de Boer won the league with Ajax and look what happened when he came here. I can't believe they've gone for somebody so inexperienced when you had proven quality in Poch available"

I'm expecting that, or something similar, from Merson and the like as soon as he's appointed. And then if he doesn't get off to a flyer, then a narrative will be set. It's what happened with Ole really, and yes he had flaws, but because a narrative had been set, then he never received praise even when things were good.
Expecting that ex City right back and others to moan about how we should have hired Conte.

Edit: I mean Micah Richards

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If an agreement has been reached it suggests he is.
Yeah, if the recent talk is to be believed, it sounds like he wanted assurances on that front and this suggests he's getting what he wants. I'm excited to see what he can do.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, if the recent talk is to be believed, it sounds like he wanted assurances on that front and this suggests he's getting what he wants. I'm excited to see what he can do.
Many were suggesting EtH would replace pep and steer clear of United

This is cracking news

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's great but what's the proper pronunciation of gouda?
Despite being pretty short, it actually sounds a lot like 'random cheap cheese that non-Dutch people for reasons beyond me get excited about'.

g like ch in loch; ou like in loud; da like 'duh' pronounced very short; add the throat conditon rasp to sound like a Gouda local

NewUser777

Delighted! It will take time! But he is the perfect choice to continue Oles work. Fans will be on his back before 10 games, though..