Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I’m loving my life

So much about being patient and giving the team and the manager some time, especially in the first half of ten Hag;s first PL foray.

Judging by this thread, vultures seem to be out in full force.

Poor ten Hag.
To be honest, the club are mainly at fault here as he was announced nearly 4 months ago and their dithering and ineptitude (Arnold and Murtough in particular) should be the focus of the fan’s ire.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So much about being patient and giving the team and the manager some time, especially in the first half of ten Hag;s first PL foray.

Poor ten Hag.
Not really, a lot of praise in this thread for how we looked in preseason, the only negatives are about how poor is out squad, which is hardly ETH fault.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We clearly still need two additions maybe three if Ronaldo leaves, the right back issue is possibly the same as the ring wing. But today was very positive, atletico are one of the most organized team the very best at playing this brand of football, there are only two sides in the Epl that are clearly superior and we created sufficient chances to win this and kept them out for most of the game.
If this is our starting point then it can only get better.
I think some people don't enjoy or look at the process and focus too much on results. Results easily sway minds but people have to look at the process in pre season since results have no consequences.

Like you said we played well, controlled most of the game and limited them to very few chances. The fact that we managed to create decent chances against an elite organized team like Atletico despite missing some key players speaks positive of what to come this season. Looking at the process, things are going very well and positive signs are everywhere and that's what matters the most.

I'm more confident going into the Brighton game then ever.

Trex

I think some people don't enjoy or look at the process and focus too much on results. Results easily sway minds but people have to look at the process in pre season since results have no consequences.

Like you said we played well, controlled most of the game and limited them to very few chances. The fact that we managed to create decent chances against an elite organized team like Atletico despite missing some key players speaks positive of what to come this season. Looking at the process, things are going very well and positive signs are everywhere and that's what matters the most.

I'm more confident going into the Brighton game then ever.
Yes I agree, its a process if we want results only we should go back to Ole, Mourinho or hirer Simeone himself.
I hope we're good enough this year to alteast make top 4 to keep the moaners in check.
I think the media would be positive if we keep up this brand because that's what they want that's why they're good about Pep and Klopp, i hope our fans are patient as well. I hope we'll be consistent performance wise and I hope we can get at least two more additions.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Poor ten Hag.
I think you're making shit up

Teja

We clearly still need two additions maybe three if Ronaldo leaves, the right back issue is possibly the same as the ring wing. But today was very positive, atletico are one of the most organized team the very best at playing this brand of football, there are only two sides in the Epl that are clearly superior and we created sufficient chances to win this and kept them out for most of the game.
If this is our starting point then it can only get better.
Yup agreed 100%.

Only thing I want to add is that if this was a regular season with everyone fully fit, we would've played one of our existing attackers from the right (Rashford / Bruno / Eriksen). Only reason Elanga started is because a few players (Ronaldo, Sancho, Eriksen) aren't available / fully fit.

Elanga / Rashford isn't a great forward line either, esp when Bruno isn't at the top of his game. I think Elanga can be a backup to Rashford from the left because they're somewhat similar but not to Sancho on the right.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Poor ten Hag.
:lol: I think you've been reading another forum mate

pascell

If you cannot see the improvement in our fitness levels and how we play in and out of possession, then you shouldn't be watching football.

It is clearly evident though where needs improving in the team and squad, but we've said that for a while now.

DWelbz19

I think Sancho + Frenkie (when it finally happens) add massive levels of quality to this side, but we’re in a position where we’re relying heavily on the starting squad with little depth in a season that is going to have so much crammed into it.

Very much hoping another attacker (preferably two) are on the agenda and Ten Hag is pushing for them to be added to the side.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He needs a striker. That Sesko guy would appear perfect. Hard to see a 6ft 4 striker not bury some crosses today

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Nice to see the players buying in. If we have to play Scott regularly then we're going to have limitations on offense that no manager can fix.

If we can get away with a 3 of Fred, Bruno & Christian/VDB, look more attacking minded, then I I'm hopeful.

We can only bring in so many players, 3 new starters would be good enough.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Won't take this lot long to throw him under the bus unfortunately.
I'm honestly fearful of this. It's a very probable situation if we get a few bad results and the media start making their headlines. ETH seems to set high standards of performances for these lot and I just don't think they have it in them to be called out on poor performances.

Trex

Yup agreed 100%.

Only thing I want to add is that if this was a regular season with everyone fully fit, we would've played one of our existing attackers from the right (Rashford / Bruno / Eriksen). Only reason Elanga started is because a few players (Ronaldo, Sancho, Eriksen) aren't available / fully fit.

Elanga / Rashford isn't a great forward line either, esp when Bruno isn't at the top of his game. I think Elanga can be a backup to Rashford from the left because they're somewhat similar but not to Sancho on the right.
I think ETH spoke about spoke reinforcement previously and I'm hopeful we'll see an addition on the right.
I think we'll see Bruno on the left flank when Eriksen features, on the right it will be Sancho maybe with another addition ( I would have loved to see pellistri though).

Teja

"have you been impressed with the sheer number of United fans in the stadium?"

ETH "no. Manchester United are very popular in Scandinavia"

:lol:
Probably got sick of the same question being repeated after every game.

Teja

I think ETH spoke about spoke reinforcement previously and I'm hopeful we'll see an addition on the right.
I think we'll see Bruno on the left flank when Eriksen features, on the right it will be Sancho maybe with another addition ( I would have loved to see pellistri though).
Yup but only concrete links seem to be to Sesko who I presume we're monitoring as a Ronaldo backup.

Antony / Timber / De Jong would've been a great summer.

largelyworried

Pretty much how I saw it. Very good performance for the most part, controlled the game and had plenty of chances and dangerous positions, but you gotta put them away. Encouraging for me that we still attacked well even though Sancho wasn't there and the drop off after him is ridiculously big (which is the biggest concern for us).
Honestly, having good fundamentals with a blunt cutting edge would be an improvement on poor fundamentals but being saved by lots of firepower, which is what it's felt like at United in recent times. You can always buy more strikers, it's much harder to change a team’s basics.

Trex

Yup but only concrete links seem to be to Sesko who I presume we're monitoring as a Ronaldo backup.

Antony / Timber / De Jong would've been a great summer.
Yes but I think we got the better center back, De Jong is still a possibility and maybe we don't get the right winger but hopefully someone like Pellistri steps up.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
"have you been impressed with the sheer number of United fans in the stadium?"

ETH "no. Manchester United are very popular in Scandinavia"

I'm assuming he interpreted "impressed" as "surprised" in this context.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly, having good fundamentals with a blunt cutting edge would be an improvement on poor fundamentals but being saved by lots of firepower, which is what it's felt like at United in recent times. You can always buy more strikers, it's much harder to change a team’s basics.
Oh 100%. I have 0 doubt about Ten Hag and know we'll get there eventually. You just don't want to hamstring him this season by ignoring certain obvious things like how light we are in attack. But we'll eventually get there

Tarrou

Poor ten Hag.
I didn’t see the game or the match day thread but going by this thread hardly anyone seems to be criticising him

in fact most seem to acknowledge he started quite well but will need time to fix things

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem is in our players. He has been doing great tactically (as evident by us controlling the match and have great in-game shape), he was let down by our players' poor technicality and movements.

you can't coach through Fernandes' first touch or Elanga's lack of flair or Rashford's U17 style of play.
I thought the main difference was Martial, Pellistri and Maguire all spooning easy chances while one of Madrids subs managed to bury a half chance.

There wasn't much wrong with us technically or movement wise. We just have soft defenders and no real cutting edge.

I think maguire has actually looked OK in pre season, but you couldn't imagine Dalot or Lindelof lasting more than a half for a team like Madrid because when they do have to defend near their own goal they fall to pieces

Gavinb33

Pretty much how I saw it. Very good performance for the most part, controlled the game and had plenty of chances and dangerous positions, but you gotta put them away. Encouraging for me that we still attacked well even though Sancho wasn't there and the drop off after him is ridiculously big (which is the biggest concern for us).
I agree with you and him, to add a bit more you know chances against them were going to be few and far between you have to take them, Maguire should be getting 4/5 goals a season but he has a 50p head when he attacks the ball the one today all he has to do is get on target from that close the keeper would have no chance unless its straight at him

Yagami

Good post resistant
He needs a striker. That Sesko guy would appear perfect. Hard to see a 6ft 4 striker not bury some crosses today
Depends how good his hold up and general play is. Tadic and Haller were good at holding onto the ball and bringing the team into play. Martial is our best player at doing that now. Sesko would need to be good at that to play for ten Hag I think.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Depends how good his hold up and general play is. Tadic and Haller were good at holding onto the ball and bringing the team into play. Martial is our best player at doing that now. Sesko would need to be good at that to play for ten Hag I think.
I dont think thats a concern for the club because they held talks with the club. I think its a matter of just putting money on the table.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I dont think thats a concern for the club because they held talks with the club. I think its a matter of just putting money on the table.
Well, I guess we can only hope he is good at that then!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Probably got sick of the same question being repeated after every game.
Something cringe I've noticed with these United interviewers is how they want to force everyone they interview to adulate United and it's so annoying. They do this all the time, especially with new signing interviews.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Without 2 or 3 more first team quality players we won’t make top 4. It won’t be because we’re bad as last season, we’re just not as good/effective as the other teams up there. Our lack of action in the market is a bit concerning, especially with our only recent concrete link, Sesko, not really being the kind of player I think will bridge that gap.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Honestly, he’s the one. I’m fully crazy optimistic mode. He’s just got it. Give him all the time he needs - he’s on that top Klopp/Pep level I just know it.

Flexdegea

I seriously don't understand most of you. It is obvious that when ETH came in, this season would be more of a transition season with some negative results bound to happen. The good thing is that ETH has shortened the time by bringing in versatile players who can fill in various positions and we have a squad who is positively reacting to his methods. However, we will still take time to gel and it will be apparent in some of the games this season. Reduce your expectations, otherwise don't watch the club this season.

The comments are blowing my mind as well.

He got a big job here, and this season is a free hit, but that's not to say I don't want to see improvement, but judging the way some fans are speaking they think we could challenge with a couple more signing. Not realistic at all.

I've no doubt he will have us over performing. If we get off to a flyer expectation will go into unrealistic territory again.

At same time I think at the moment we got enough to get into the top 4. Again not a huge achievement if we do. Also don't think we are finished buying players either

Robbie Boy

Poor ten Hag.
Not seeing any negativity towards ETH, and rightly so. We've finally gotten a in a highly rated, sought after manager who plays a modern, progressive style.

There's some hysteria about the Board and our squad, but that's about it.

Flexdegea

Starting to think we should go all in for him.

Strike while the hype is not at daft levels. Looks like could be a serious package in the years to come.