Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGame

If they keep him, and we do badly next season, they are insane. If they keep him, and we start well, then they’re not. It’s a gamble and only they will know if they feel it’s worth taking. Both the people INEOS hired and Ten Hag need to show us they are good enough for a club like United.
Yep fully agree. This is the crux of the matter and there will be lots of debate behind the scenes by INEOS on it.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
If they keep him, and we do badly next season, they are insane. If they keep him, and we start well, then they’re not. It’s a gamble and only they will know if they feel it’s worth taking. Both the people INEOS hired and Ten Hag need to show us they are good enough for a club like United.
And that’s exactly how the narrative would go in this hypothetical.

But people are scared to admit that for some reason?

Like Ten Hag could start next season without any injuries and with on paper the best possible signings at CB, CDM, LB and ST and we could be awful and then I’d be like “I think Ten Hag needs replacing” and I’m sure a few on here would give me pelters for it.

But equally the above could happen and we could start looking better and I could say something positive in this thread and be told “You just got lucky” or whatever.

And no one knows which will happen.

So we may aswell relax and just see what happens in the summer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I dont think you quite got what I mean, I don't care for polls beyond a quick click. If it's that easy for someone to check, why would they even ask me? They could see it themselves
It’s not easy for someone else to check, they’d have to look through hundreds of names for yours I think. As for your own vote, what ever you chose is bolded.

I only asked as I genuinely wondered what you’d prefer to happen. But then in the space of 2 minutes you answered one poster saying if ineos keep him they must be insane like you(meaning you’d keep him?) and then answered me saying you’d prefer Tuchel.

NLunited

We have an insider who claims to know INEOS will appoint Potter or Southgate next season. That would be a weird choice if you are trying to get the best people in.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Re: no other qualified candidates available. When Mourinho was about to be sacked, was that a consideration? We ended up going for Ole but I’m lot sure there were many other elite/promising managers available
And where did that get us?

Are you trying to make a point?

Ole'sgunnarwin

We also could be 8 pts better off. If we didn’t concede late goals to Chelsea, late goal to Burnley, late goal to Liverpool, late goal to Fulham. Not to mention a few of them being penalties.
If Schmeichel didn't save Bergkamp's pen, if Cole didn't get the winner vs Tottenham and if Sheringham didn't equalise in the final, 99 would have been trophyless. Both what you wrote and I wrote: complete waste of time.

mu4c_20le

You’re completely missing the point, arguing against a position that doesn’t exist, and lowering the tone and quality of this thread with this post.

Who do you mean by “the ****” let’s tag them or talk to them and see if we can debate their views together because i can’t find anyone “stoked” by tonight’s result. Can you? Please tag them or quote their post.
Talks about tone and quality of the thread, then asks him to tag and call out other posters to shame them.

If you want to generate quality discussion, do it yourself and lead by example. Don't encourage a pile on, you're making things worse.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
And where did that get us?

Are you trying to make a point?
To be fair Ole took us to 2nd place and did a good job restoring good vibes to the club.

I think the signing of Ronaldo killed him because he had some capable coaches.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No I mean it's easy for you to check, if you have voted in it there will a little tick next to what you voted, so even if you can't remember voting it doesn't matter because it's easy to check it
Yeah, but I'm asking if it's that simple for people to check why is he asking me

Womp

idiot
It's a hard one. We've had a terrible season but we've also had to deal with the distraction of a looming takeover all season and have been plagued with injuries. Coupled with the fact that the managerial options at the moment don't seem to be too hot and I think Ineos will decide he will get another season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: the ten hag out camp are literally like the football equivalent of Trump folk.

They literally just make shit up it's actually brilliant.
Why do both sides have to call each other names a d point score? We all want what’s best for United

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not easy for someone else to check, they’d have to look through hundreds of names for yours I think. As for your own vote, what ever you chose is bolded.

I only asked as I genuinely wondered what you’d prefer to happen. But then in the space of 2 minutes you answered one poster saying if ineos keep him they must be insane like you(meaning you’d keep him?) and then answered me saying you’d prefer Tuchel.
Ah fair enough.

No, I'm saying that there are different opinions about ten hag but the problem with the conversational terrorists (mainly on the side wanting him out) is that you are insane for thinking anything outside of a sack at seasons end. My question is whether INEOS would hypothetically be crazy if they didn't do that, thats all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why do both sides have to call each other names a d point score? We all want what’s best for United
Maybe there's only so many times you can tolerate people making things up about your own posts and calling you names before you draw your own parallels?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Brighton can finish above us still with 2 wins.
Indeed but they have Chelsea away and they need 2 wins. I think they'll just 4-0s as a consolation prize, since 8th or 9th makes no difference.

sepulturite

Yeah, but I'm asking if it's that simple for people to check why is he asking me
I dunno, I'm just telling you how easy it is for you to check that's all. Certainly easier than another poster reading through a load of names to see if yours is there.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
If there are some who are ETH ins, I don't think there is a need to belittle them. The main goal as a fanbase is that we want serious improvement
100% and I don’t think anyone is confidently in. I wouldn’t even say I’m in. Hopefully my reply to crossy shows that I’m actually very much I don’t care who it is but let’s be clever about it.
Talks about tone and quality of the thread, then asks him to tag and call out other posters to shame them.

If you want to generate quality discussion, do it yourself and lead by example. Don't encourage a pile on, you're making things worse.
Every single post targeted at me I respond to with care an attention unless I’m treated with disdain or disrespect and it’s not worth my time.

If this poster believes there is a ****, then they are far better off highlighting the reasons why by quoting the post and dealing with it directly or by attempting to highlight **** like posters so that we can all understand this imaginary ****.

I think it’s incredibly rich suggesting I don’t try to encourage the quality discussion given what I put up with in this thread and the depth and detail I put into my replies on the whole.

It’s consistently of a far higher standard than that of those suggesting there is a ****.

Do you not also see the irony in choosing this post to wuote and discuss rather than my one about what I’d like to see next year?

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Can we just ban “****”.

Its never once been used in a progressive way to discuss in this thread.

It would help us discuss in the thread without getting fed up of it and having to consistently bite tongues which I think ends up causing unnecessary passive aggression in return.

mu4c_20le

I don't think it's even point scoring anymore, it's just a label. If we start banning labels then people will just resort to using Eth inners and outers again.

NLunited

Can we just ban “****”.

Its never once been used in a progressive way to discuss in this thread.

It would help us discuss in the thread without getting fed up of it and having to consistently bite tongues which I think ends up causing unnecessary passive aggression in return.
I don‘t think I have seen any posters here who‘d support Ten Hag no matter what. But quite a few who won‘t support him no matter what.

mu4c_20le

Every single post targeted at me I respond to with care an attention unless I’m treated with disdain or disrespect and it’s not worth my time.

If this poster believes there is a ****, then they are far better off highlighting the reasons why by quoting the post and dealing with it directly or by attempting to highlight **** like posters so that we can all understand this imaginary ****.

I think it’s incredibly rich suggesting I don’t try to encourage the quality discussion given what I put up with in this thread and the depth and detail I put into my replies on the whole.

It’s consistently of a far higher standard than that of those suggesting there is a ****.

Do you not also see the irony in choosing this post to wuote and discuss rather than my one about what I’d like to see next year?
I just thought it odd to call out what was a fairly innocuous post, that wasn't even aimed at anyone in particular. Is anyone actually offended by the term *******? Originally it was used in jest, because some kept on arguing in favour of keeping him despite hilariously bad performances.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don‘t think I have seen any posters here who‘d support Ten Hag no matter what. But quite a few who won‘t support him no matter what.
You literally wished Southgate on the club. Do I start quoting posts from a week back where it's clear you support the manager over the club?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't think it's even point scoring anymore, it's just a label. If we start banning labels then people will just resort to using Eth inners and outers again.
I’d rather inners and outers because that just refers to your opinion of whether he should go or not. Words like “*******” are not helpful

Jezpeza

Ah fair enough.

No, I'm saying that there are different opinions about ten hag but the problem with the conversational terrorists (mainly on the side wanting him out) is that you are insane for thinking anything outside of a sack at seasons end. My question is whether INEOS would hypothetically be crazy if they didn't do that, thats all.
They wouldn't be crazy. I just think it would make their takeover prove another false dawn. You just dont tend to see managers recover from this sort of death spiral. We’ve been abysmal now for about 15 months. Theres nothing cognitive going on in any aspect of our play on the pitch and he repetitively makes the same mistakes with tactics and team selection. Does an interview with Gary Neville saying theres basically no alternative to leaving us wide open in midfield and then sets out more of a low block today and we are still in the game to the final whistle albeit with little shots.

If we keep him this summer I hope we do well next season because if he isn't then the team isn't but i just cant see it. I don’t hope we continue to be awful just to be vindicated in my opinion that he isnt up to the job.

Even with a couple of injured players back and signings etc I just see more of the same coming and if we carry on like this we’ll end up sacking him come October and Ineos’s inaugral season ends up being like this year or the Ole/RR season and I dont think we can afford that.

Delano

It took 35 games, but he finally changed the defensive set up today. If he'd have done that earlier, we'd have a lot more points regardless of injuries.

I think he's stubborn beyond belief, but it seems like the penny has dropped. Let's see if that's enough to keep his job.

Irwin99

To be fair Ole took us to 2nd place and did a good job restoring good vibes to the club.

I think the signing of Ronaldo killed him because he had some capable coaches.
He kind of admitted he wouldn't be able to win the league with the football we played with his second place finish season which was why he changed things things up. Ronaldo didn't help but it was part of the plan to take the club forward and it failed miserably. EtH has basically said the same thing recently that he could have got more points on the table had he been more conservative but it would be bad for the long term project. The last three managers have basically all had the same problem. How much you want to blame the managers or the fact that the recruitment and the player quality simply isn't good enough is up to the individual.

mu4c_20le

I’d rather inners and outers because that just refers to your opinion of whether he should go or not. Words like “*******” are not helpful
Fair enough. Always thought it was just a bit of fun but can see how some might take it seriously

Jezpeza

He kind of admitted he wouldn't be able to win the league with the football we played with his second place finish season which was why he changed things things up. Ronaldo didn't help but it was part of the plan to take the club forward and it failed miserably. EtH has basically said the same thing recently that he could have got more points on the table had he been more conservative but it would be bad for the long term project. The last three managers have basically all had the same problem. How much you want to blame the managers or the fact that the recruitment and the player quality simply isn't good enough is up to the individual.
For me though there is no long term ETH project. I would take this seasons result and placing if I could see what we were trying to do on the pitch and then say ‘ah yeah, he’s trying xyz but some of the players lack quality and will be replaced in coming transfer windows’.

what we are seeing is a team with no midfield, that cant defend, cant score, cant work openings with passing football. Cant really even string 10 passes together. He’s signed a fair few players so far with his finger prints on them and they have largely been garbage or pointless signings.

like what that we are doing on the pitch convinces you that we are in the midst of some sort of long term project?

NLunited

They wouldn't be crazy. I just think it would make their takeover prove another false dawn. You just dont tend to see managers recover from this sort of death spiral. We’ve been abysmal now for about 15 months. Theres nothing cognitive going on in any aspect of our play on the pitch and he repetitively makes the same mistakes with tactics and team selection. Does an interview with Gary Neville saying theres basically no alternative to leaving us wide open in midfield and then sets out more of a low block today and we are still in the game to the final whistle albeit with little shots.

If we keep him this summer I hope we do well next season because if he isn't then the team isn't but i just cant see it. I don’t hope we continue to be awful just to be vindicated in my opinion that he isnt up to the job.

Even with a couple of injured players back and signings etc I just see more of the same coming and if we carry on like this we’ll end up sacking him come October and Ineos’s inaugral season ends up being like this year or the Ole/RR season and I dont think we can afford that.
To be fair there have been turnarounds like that. Arteta was doing quite poorly and it sounded like he‘d be sacked.

Louis van Gaal sacked himself after a very poor season at AZ Alkmaar. The players went to his house and begged him to continue. They won the league next season.

I‘m not convinced Ten Hag is the right man anymore, but I also think it is possible things start clicking and we start doing well.

fe33er

That’s the nature of football fans, opinions change. It wouldn’t be fair if someone voted to keep him, then we get tonked 6-0 and they can’t change their mind?
I’m sure we are far enough down the road to have a proper opinion by now rather than a reactive game by game basis opinion.

Jezpeza

To be fair there have been turnarounds like that. Arteta was doing quite poorly and it sounded like he‘d be sacked.

Louis van Gaal sacked himself after a very poor season at AZ Alkmaar. The players went to his house and begged him to continue. They won the league next season.

I‘m not convinced Ten Hag is the right man anymore, but I also think it is possible things start clicking and we start doing well.
Yes possible but i find it unlikely. For me what kills him is the fact it doesn't look like theres any sort of philosophy/style/methodology however we want to label it being coached into the team. We literally are diabolical at every single aspect of football atm.

NLunited

For me though there is no long term ETH project. I would take this seasons result and placing if I could see what we were trying to do on the pitch and then say ‘ah yeah, he’s trying xyz but some of the players lack quality and will be replaced in coming transfer windows’.

what we are seeing is a team with no midfield, that cant defend, cant score, cant work openings with passing football. Cant really even string 10 passes together. He’s signed a fair few players so far with his finger prints on them and they have largely been garbage or pointless signings.

like what that we are doing on the pitch convinces you that we are in the midst of some sort of long term project?
We press, we try to play out the back, try to attack with speed and numbers. It is clear for all to see.

It is also clear to see we have young players who need time and older players who are struggling.