Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wolvored

Antony is a good signing, but I agree we overpaid by about 30 million.

Still haven‘t heard who you would have signed instead of WW. He works hard and was known by Ten Hag. Who could we have signed for a 3 million fee that could be trusted to deliver?

De Gea is not easily replaced, it will require a big investment. Money that can be spent on a striker and midfielder for example.

There are good logical reasons for the choices that were made.
Could have tried a youth player, played Pellestri from the left, Rash up front., or anything else wouldnt have been any worse than wegworst. Our Worst striker we ever had.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe get Van Der Sar in to oversee things but the uncertainty surrounding the club at the moment means that we'll likely start our business well into the window while the new owners take stock.
Just on Van der Sar: he's Ajax's CEO and has never been very involved in the technical side of things. Also, he's currently under heavy criticism because of Ajax's heavily disappointing season and might have to resign over the summer. I think United fans might have to forget about him as someone that could help out their club.

USREDEVIL

What he achieved while dealing with the drama and footballing effects of the Ronaldo saga is very impressive. But his management can only take us so far as we all know. Focus now is on improving the squad.

Moriarty

Just on Van der Sar: he's Ajax's CEO and has never been very involved in the technical side of things. Also, he's currently under heavy criticism because of Ajax's heavily disappointing season and might have to resign over the summer. I think United fans might have to forget about him as someone that could help out their club.
I dunno. A new start at United with a manager he knows might be just what he needs.

He'sRaldo

He's made quite a few mistakes thus far and I don't yet trust him to win the title against Pep. Not sure if he can get to that elite level.

That being said, if his brand of football is what we want to build on going forward, it would make sense to keep him for the foreseeable future so that we can get a proper imprint on the club, from the staff downwards. Then we can sack him :drool:

All jokes aside, in the past we probably could've taken the easy way out and bought our way to a few trophies with better decision making, and I was all for quick sackings back then. But right now, it's most likely going to take a couple building seasons in order to get all aspects of the club aligned to the brand we're aiming for.

FerociousCorgis

my only qualms are that he went a bit too heavy with a thin squad on selections early on considering how many competitions we have been in, and besides garnacho feel like youngsters couldve been used more considering.

Oscar Bonavena

Pretty obvious by now that ETH has his favourites. If they have played for him at Ajax, are Dutch or played in the Eredivisie they'll get preferential treatment. That's really the only explanation why Pellistri doesn't get a chance over a consistently disappointing Antony.
I mean, I could understand it if Pellistri came on against Betis and was shit. But you bring a guy on, he does well, and you don't play him again?! Unless Erik saw something from him in that cameo that he didn't like unbeknownst to the rest of us!

C'est Moi Cantona

He's let himeself down with Weghorst, if he wasn't Dutch he wouldn't even know his name. But on the flip side he's sorted out Ronaldo and Maguire very quickly.

Overall just as long as he doesn't mess up top 4 then he's been great given where we were this time last year.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Very happy with EtH. Top four finish would be beyond my expectations at start of season - albeit only in prospect because Chelsea and Liverpool and Spurs all feked it.

Maureen-yo

Eriksen when we badly needed some sort of calmness and control in midfield and his continued Fetish with Wout Weghorst who is less than a football player.
I think he’s struggling for fitness but then if he was on the bench he should have been able to play 30 mins so I agree with you on that one.

Eddy_JukeZ

The people defending the Weghorst arrival and subsequent use of him have honestly lost their minds.

He would get hounded out at Real or Barcelona. We need to have higher standards ffs.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think the playing out from the back necessarily means possession play. I think he uses that as a basis for finding the space for midfielders to spring attacks from deep, especially against teams with a high line. When I watch the position of our players vs the position of City players, there is a stark difference. They always have 2 or 3 passes on, even in deeper areas, whereas we push our midfielders and attackers really high up the pitch and try to pick one of them out, which is where it falls apart a lot for us, in my opinion. I remember the same watching his Ajax team, quick passes between the lines and get from front to back as quickly as possible. Perhaps I'll have a read of what you posted as I had a limited sample size from games I watched, but I definitely don't see Guardiola-esque football on the horizon for us.

EDIT: I just looked up stats for both legs of Ajax vs Real Madrid and Ajax vs Tottenham in 2019. In three ties, they were outpossessed quite a bit, including the 4-1 win over Real. To win 4-1 with inferior possession tells you something, which is exactly what we are seeing now. They edged the possession 51-49% in one game vs Madrid.
I don't think Ten Hag craves possession like Pep does, but he does value it.

I do think we should be playing better and Ten Hag shouldn't have compromised as much this season if he truly wants to implement a positional play for the squad.

glazed

The people defending the Weghorst arrival and subsequent use of him have honestly lost their minds.

He would get hounded out at Real or Barcelona. We need to have higher standards ffs.
He was better than nothing. Blame the Glazers.

Eddy_JukeZ

He isn't without some faults because there are valid concerns about rotation and he should probably trust youngsters a bit more. Transfer policy is another worry, but that has nothing to do with him. If our genius crew behind him still thinks the best way to go in the market is to fully go with manager choices we will spend shitloads and have a return of feck all for years to come (as it's been the case too long).

However, he absolutely proved enough to have a massive credit going forward for me. Because at our absolute peak this season (which started after the WC and ended around the time we played against Barcelona), we played, without a doubt, our best football in last 10 years. In my view, to reach such level after the season before where players looked in full disarray means much more than simply judging him wheather this team will finish top 4 or not. Which we will.
You make good points, but at our absolute low this season, we also got smashed 7-0 by Liverpool and got absolutely dominated by Newcastle(with the metrics suggesting it could have been worse than the Liverpool game).

Eddy_JukeZ

He was better than nothing. Blame the Glazers.
That's entirely the point though.

He wasn't better than nothing. Nothing is literally better.

Weghorst offers nothing. Absolutely nothing to the squad.

There were ways to be flexible with the attacking options at our disposal instead of rushing to get a player who is nowhere near good enough.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Pretty obvious by now that ETH has his favourites. If they have played for him at Ajax, are Dutch or played in the Eredivisie they'll get preferential treatment. That's really the only explanation why Pellistri doesn't get a chance over a consistently disappointing Antony.
No, it's just trusting whom he knows already. You need people who will listen to you, stand with you no matter what happens in the games.

Imagine if he had one more Ronaldo in the dressing room? Ylhe already proved he is ruthless and you will see that in second season.

edcunited1878

There were ways to be flexible with the attacking options at our disposal instead of rushing to get a player who is nowhere near good enough.
That's hyperbole, but okay. Weghorst literally started 10 consecutive matches after he was available to play because United literally had no other CF choice. Using Marcus from the off at CF is not ideal even if he's done a few times this season.

Also, he's converted his spot kick in the shootout win over Brighton in the semifinal. He's been a necessary squad signing but has had overall poor to decent at best performances at a time where United needed some bodies.

Eddy_JukeZ

That's hyperbole, but okay. Weghorst literally started 10 consecutive matches after he was available to play because United literally had no other CF choice. Using Marcus from the off at CF is not ideal even if he's done a few times this season.

Also, he's converted his spot kick in the shootout win over Brighton in the semifinal. He's been a necessary squad signing but has had overall poor to decent at best performances at a time where United needed some bodies.
It's not hyperbole.

What does he offer to the squad was sorely missed? Go on.

As for the bold: Rashford is miles and miles better as a CF option than Weghorst is. It is a far better option.

glazed

I would say his passing was ok, his hold up play was competent and his high pressing was very effective for 90 minutes. That's important. Obviously he couldn't score in a brothel or head a balloon on a still day. I wouldn't keep him. But better than Elanga.

Eddy_JukeZ

I would say his passing was ok, his hold up play was competent and his high pressing was very effective for 90 minutes. That's important. Obviously he couldn't score in a brothel or head a balloon on a still day. I wouldn't keep him. But better than Elanga.
His passing isn't okay. He's got sub 75% passing accuracy for a player who never attempts progressive passes. He can't hold the ball up and he's pitiful in the air.

You can stick Elanga up top and he'd probably press even better, because of his quicker pace.

He offers nothing.

Ludens the Red

So you're saying he shouldn't have brought someone in simply because he knows them but instead loan in a striker from the Championship which he had little to knowledge of being new to England, which he would have had to lean on the recruitment department but he shouldn't use our recruitment department? :wenger:

But i'm sure Middlesbrough or Coventry City who were fighting to get promotion would have gladly loaned us Chuba Akpom or Viktor Gyökeres. Sure.
didn’t say any of that tbf but whatever….

There's no need to pretend Ighalo was anything other than completely over the hill and nowhere near PL standard when discussing Wout's performance. There's enough to complain about.

Ighalo was slow and generally useless contributing zero league goals. Me hole he was much better.
He was much much better because Weghorst is barely even a footballer. Ighalo didn’t play much minutes in the prem but he did well for us int he cups. He’s already smashed Weghorst in goals per minute ratio.

NLunited

Could have tried a youth player, played Pellestri from the left, Rash up front., or anything else wouldnt have been any worse than wegworst. Our Worst striker we ever had.
In my opinion he has been decent many games, pressing, laying off balls, getting a few assists. His scoring form is awful though, probably not what Ten Hag expected. He has helped out the team in absence of Martial though.

edcunited1878

His passing isn't okay. He's got sub 75% passing accuracy for a player who never attempts progressive passes. He can't hold the ball up and he's pitiful in the air.

You can stick Elanga up top and he'd probably press even better, because of his quicker pace.

He offers nothing.
I'm not trying to defend Weghorst and say he's been successful, but when United literally had no other viable option to serve as a functioning CF, he's done something to play and be a body when they needed someone.

1 assist in 13 league matches. 1 goal in 6 Europa matches. 1 goal in the League Cup. 1 penalty converted in the shootout against Brighton in the FA Cup.

His end product in front of goal has been horrible, yes. But he's offered a lot off the ball and has been extremely selfless in a time United had no nobody.

That's great that Marcus is better than Weghorst at any position on the pitch, but the fact Marcus isn't in his optimal left forward position hurts him and the team. With Weghorst, he was an able body to allow Marcus to be on his optimal position. Weghorst's flexibilty also allowed EtH to play him in a non-traditional 10 position and use other players for other purposes, which had a positive impact on the tactics and getting results.

Withnail

He was much much better because Weghorst is barely even a footballer. Ighalo didn’t play much minutes in the prem but he did well for us int he cups. He’s already smashed Weghorst in goals per minute ratio.
Yeah all 5 of those goals against who?

The feckin revisionism around here when someone wants to put a player down is hilarious. Ighalo was shite, Weghorst is shite. Like what's the point of this argument :lol:

wolvored

In my opinion he has been decent many games, pressing, laying off balls, getting a few assists. His scoring form is awful though, probably not what Ten Hag expected. He has helped out the team in absence of Martial though.
Hes been awful as a striker. A strikers main job is to score. Hes failed that massively

Kaos

I'm not trying to defend Weghorst and say he's been successful, but when United literally had no other viable option to serve as a functioning CF, he's done something to play and be a body when they needed someone.

1 assist in 13 league matches. 1 goal in 6 Europa matches. 1 goal in the League Cup. 1 penalty converted in the shootout against Brighton in the FA Cup.

His end product in front of goal has been horrible, yes. But he's offered a lot off the ball and has been extremely selfless in a time United had no nobody.

That's great that Marcus is better than Weghorst at any position on the pitch, but the fact Marcus isn't in his optimal left forward position hurts him and the team. With Weghorst, he was an able body to allow Marcus to be on his optimal position. Weghorst's flexibilty also allowed EtH to play him in a non-traditional 10 position and use other players for other purposes, which had a positive impact on the tactics and getting results.
I don't know the stats, but I can't imagine he's had a positive impact on us winning points whenever he starts or comes on. It feels as though we tend to lose games recently whenever he gets thrown on.

And ultimately a CF being brought on who's delivered a whooping 1 goal in the PL is an extremely poor showing. I'm genuinely at the point with him where I'd rather we play Elanga upfront, or even Maguire's slabhead, at least he'll win headers or perhaps get at the end of crosses.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

I don't want to see Weghorst anywhere near the squad but up to the League Cup final he wasn't a complete waste of space. And we definitely didn't have more money for anyone else in January.

Afterwards though, he's been a huge hindrance to our play and we would have been much better off playing with no striker (until Martial gets fit).

I really rated EtH's ability to bring on subs and change the game until the League Cup but afterwards it's been downhill in that aspect as well.

Seems like not just the players but the manager also dropped the ball after that win at Wembley

croadyman

We needed a strong Jan transfer window. We need strong window after strong window due to years of poor recruitment and there’s nothing to say we are great at it even now. We were in 4 comps so it wasn’t hard to predict injuries. We’ve made massive progress. McFred and the likes are now mainly bench options. The next level is having stronger bench options again. It’s a long process and we have to be optimistic we’ll scrape 4th and push on.
We could have spent in January had we actually bought Antony earlier or you know found a RW who didn't break the budget

croadyman

my only qualms are that he went a bit too heavy with a thin squad on selections early on considering how many competitions we have been in, and besides garnacho feel like youngsters couldve been used more considering.
Yeah wish we had seen more of Pellistri and Iqbal

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That's beautiful mental gymnastics in order to justify playing Weghorst regularly. A half fit Rashford is better at leading the line than Weghorst.
"He's been a necessary squad signing ", you cannot seriously believe this :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You make good points, but at our absolute low this season, we also got smashed 7-0 by Liverpool and got absolutely dominated by Newcastle(with the metrics suggesting it could have been worse than the Liverpool game).
True, but I would be far more worried if the team went into slump after such results. However, he managed to get the response every time. City 6-3 trashing was followed by winning against Everton away/Spurs home. After losing 7-0 against Liverpool the team responded by beating Betis 4-1 and winning 3 out of 4 games. Similiar case after Newcastle or even Seville when we managed to get into FA final despite the team obviously running on fumes as the season is coming to an end.

Meaning, the trashing and bad games were concerning, but he managed to get a response every single time. So, despite us obviously struggling as the season progressed, we never went into prolonged period of awful results/form (as opposed to mentioned period of good form) and both him and the team kept their head above the water when such results could have easily derail the season. And almost certainly would in the past.

Ludens the Red

Yeah all 5 of those goals against who?

The feckin revisionism around here when someone wants to put a player down is hilarious. Ighalo was shite, Weghorst is shite. Like what's the point of this argument :lol:
Dunno , you seem to have created one. For some reason you’ve chosen to descend this into a debate about Ighalo as if that was the crux of my point.

AneRu

True, but I would be far more worried if the team went into slump after such results. However, he managed to get the response every time. City 6-3 trashing was followed by winning against Everton away/Spurs home. After losing 7-0 against Liverpool the team responded by beating Betis 4-1 and winning 3 out of 4 games. Similiar case after Newcastle or even Seville when we managed to get into FA final despite the team obviously running on fumes as the season is coming to an end.

Meaning, the trashing and bad games were concerning, but he managed to get a response every single time. So, despite us obviously struggling as the season progressed, we never went into prolonged period of awful results/form (as opposed to mentioned period of good form) and both him and the team kept their head above the water when such results could have easily derail the season. And almost certainly would in the past.
This is key, you can almost guarantee that there will be a response of sorts on Sunday. Under previous regimes results such as the Liverpool or Sevilla one would have resulted in a sustained rut that would have surely derailed the season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That's beautiful mental gymnastics in order to justify playing Weghorst regularly. A half fit Rashford is better at leading the line than Weghorst.
"He's been a necessary squad signing ", you cannot seriously believe this :lol:
He clearly isn't a regular. He's barely featured since Martial came back. The fact that people are so wound up over a 10 minute cameo is absurd. As for the arguments surrounding Elanga or Pellistri - both came on against Sevilla and, the former in particular, were absolutely horrendous. As for signing someone else in Jan, we had 3 million to spend, who on earth were we going to sign for that? We went for a cheap championship level striker and thats what we got. Theres absolutely no way we were getting more than what we got with the resources we had. Genuinely think most of you are deliberately being obtuse by arguing we could find a half decent football player with 3 million pounds.

Eddy_JukeZ

He clearly isn't a regular. He's barely featured since Martial came back. The fact that people are so wound up over a 10 minute cameo is absurd. As for the arguments surrounding Elanga or Pellistri - both came on against Sevilla and, the former in particular, were absolutely horrendous. As for signing someone else in Jan, we had 3 million to spend, who on earth were we going to sign for that? We went for a cheap championship level striker and thats what we got. Theres absolutely no way we were getting more than what we got with the resources we had. Genuinely think most of you are deliberately being obtuse by arguing we could find a half decent football player with 3 million pounds.
No, most of us are arguing Weghorst shouldn't have been signed if it was somehow Weghorst or nothing(which btw is complete nonsense).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No, most of us are arguing Weghorst shouldn't have been signed if it was somehow Weghorst or nothing(which btw is complete nonsense).
Which is revisionism at its finest as most were quite excited to see what impact he could have after his good WC performances.

Withnail

Dunno , you seem to have created one. For some reason you’ve chosen to descend this into a debate about Ighalo as if that was the crux of my point.
Anytime Wout's being discussed a few people bring up Ighalo and elevate his performances well above what they were and I'm getting a bit bored of reading it.

It also undermines the rest of what is being said, for me.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Anytime Wout's being discussed a few people bring up Ighalo and elevate his performances well above what they were and I'm getting a bit bored of reading it.

It also undermines the rest of what is being said, for me.
He was crap, but I’d take Ighalo 10/10 over Wout.