Erik Ten Hag: Press Conference in Bangkok

sepulturite

We can have a debate on a more appropriate forum for it. I just fail to believe a lot of peoples dislike doesn’t come from undertones and stereotypes.

Two people of different colours can do exactly the same thing… but how you perceive it can be based on these undertones. It also can go both ways. Black just happens to be the minority that’s all.

Just my personal view anyway and like I said if there’s a thread for it, I’ll have the debate.
That's fair enough, all I can give is my own personal view too I suppose, which is what I said in my other post.

Anyway I won't derail the thread anymore either :)

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Leaving Maguire as captain is a very silly move. It is just a stick to beat both Maguire and ETH with that could have been removed from the equation altogether. Maguire has questions marks over his ability to be a first choice CB here. If Martinez comes in and Varane stays fit, it just creates more headlines leaving the guy on the bench. It would be worth the risk it if Harry’s leadership and captaincy ability has been proven to be a positive thus far- but it hasn’t.

Change captains till a clear candidate appears. Start with DeGea, then see who establishes themselves as a leader. No better time or excuse to do it. On the opening day of the season, When Harry slide tackles Bruno sending the ball ricocheting into the bottom corner to make it one nil to Brighton…It will be too late.

ETH should have known better imo
I disagree. There are plenty of examples of teams being successful whilst their club captain is sat on the bench for most of the season. Gary Neville in 08-09 springs to mind. Publicly removing Maguire as captain would create a lot more headlines and unnecessary drama. Whereas if we're winning games with Varane and Martinez as our defensive pair, whilst Bruno is our on-the-pitch captain, then the issue has basically resolved itself.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Leaving Maguire as captain is a very silly move. It is just a stick to beat both Maguire and ETH with that could have been removed from the equation altogether. Maguire has questions marks over his ability to be a first choice CB here. If Martinez comes in and Varane stays fit, it just creates more headlines leaving the guy on the bench. It would be worth the risk it if Harry’s leadership and captaincy ability has been proven to be a positive thus far- but it hasn’t.

Change captains till a clear candidate appears. Start with DeGea, then see who establishes themselves as a leader. No better time or excuse to do it. On the opening day of the season, When Harry slide tackles Bruno sending the ball ricocheting into the bottom corner to make it one nil to Brighton…It will be too late.

ETH should have known better imo
You’re projecting maybe Ten Hag thinks Maguire is the best available captain (which is he)

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
Succes in Netherlandish can mean good luck. So, obviously, under the pressure cooker environment of a foreign press conference, “great success” clearly meant “hugely lucky”.

Dutch being such an economical language, the meaning I’m deducing ‘between the lines’ is this:

ten Haag: “that mafkees* is a hugely lucky tieringleider* and he better repay the faith invested in him and start repaying that world record fee for a defender we paid for him as well!”

* Dutch words difficult to translate into English

Newtonius

What a shocking presser. Don't know what is worse, complimenting the squad when being asked about transfers, captain fantastic still being in a job or the circus act staying.

micmac

What a shocking presser. Don't know what is worse, complimenting the squad
Do you expect the manager to shit on everyone and complain every chance he has? How do you think the team would react… failure before a ball is kicked. Unlike what we see on social media….no profession industry acts like this.

el3mel

Shaw with a dig at Rangnick nice and early
Does this guy ever thinks about saying good words about his ex managers ? He has thrown digs at almost all of them now, why any manager would like him is beyond me.

If ETH leaves, Shaw will be the first to throw digs at him as well.

Our players are really unlikeable bunch to say the least.

nickm

Man, some rancid takes on this thread.

If the manager, who seems to know what he is doing, can give a chance to our players to prove themselves to him, then our fans should back him.

FatTails

Calling an employee of the glazers a “Glazer puppet” will never fail to make me laugh :lol: ETH is supposed to start a revolution or something, apparently.

Keefy18

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of teams being successful whilst their club captain is sat on the bench for most of the season. Gary Neville in 08-09 springs to mind. Publicly removing Maguire as captain would create a lot more headlines and unnecessary drama. Whereas if we're winning games with Varane and Martinez as our defensive pair, whilst Bruno is our on-the-pitch captain, then the issue has basically resolved itself.
TBF, Neville was completely finished by that point. Maguire should be at the peak of his career and he'd be benched!
Stating he is a success to bench him a few months into the season will look bad.

Edit: Bruno is and will never be captain material. Doesn't have the mental character for it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The Ajax contingent here probably won't tell you, but ETH often talks out of his arse in pressers/interviews. At least that's his reputation amongst the general public in Dutchland.

united for life

Didn’t say much really. The only thing he said is that Maguire is captain and that he has had huge success. I wish he just stuck to not saying anything

Flexdegea

What a shocking presser. Don't know what is worse, complimenting the squad when being asked about transfers, captain fantastic still being in a job or the circus act staying.

Rival club trolls have Inflitrated the forum

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Does this guy ever thinks about saying good words about his ex managers ? He has thrown digs at almost all of them now, why any manager would like him is beyond me.

If ETH leaves, Shaw will be the first to throw digs at him as well.

Our players are really unlikeable bunch to say the least.
Was thinking the same thing but decided not to post it. He comes across badly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a bit sad that I have to call out a sarcastic post as ermm.. sarcastic.
when the rest of this thread is full of similar, deadly serious posts it can be hard to decide what’s real or not!

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
when the rest of this thread is full of similar, deadly serious posts it can be hard to decide what’s real or not!
Hard with so much whining and crying going on
I agree with you both, it's just sad..

It's a press conference before a pre-season game in Thailand. I hope in my heart that there is body language analysis, a game-cam on Ten Haag during the game with Liverpool. Please God, no.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just watched the presser and it's fine for me.

Not saying much and giving nothing away. That's what we need - not drama.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It cracks me up when nobodies on forums talk about top level players not having the right "mentality"

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Shaw with a dig at Rangnick nice and early
Not surprising from the guy with one good season in 10 years at the club who was proven right in his thinking that he'd outlast Mourinho.

And then we wonder about player power and why we've been underperforming for so long.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
New manager in not slagging off the squad he's picked up, or lack of transfer business shocker.

Jeffthered

Admittedly, I have not watched the Presser', but I am concerned about the CR7 situation. The guy wants to leave and it's just best that he does leave... there will be a circus that will inform every single game with Ronaldo '... will he stay, will he leave, has he been dropped, is he being rested, is he happy, does he fit in with the manager's plans and playing style etc etc..'. It is like we have not learned some lessons from recent seasons.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It cracks me up when nobodies on forums talk about top level players not having the right "mentality"
Yeah its almost like they havent watched them week in week out, seen how they talk in pressers, hear about their attitudes in training by tier one reporters etc.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Not sure anybody on this forum ever criticized mentality of Ronaldo or De Gea. Don't know of any "top level players" in our team right now, so - wtf are you talking about? If you are insinuating that Fred and McTominay are somehow "top level players", boy oh boy. And yes, same for Rashfrod and McGuire. None of them are "top level".

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not sure anybody on this forum ever criticized mentality of Ronaldo or De Gea. Don't know of any "top level players" in our team right now, so - wtf are you talking about? If you are insinuating that Fred and McTominay are somehow "top level players", boy oh boy. And yes, same for Rashfrod and McGuire. None of them are "top level".
Please god

Revaulx

What top level players are these?

Ronaldo? He’s one for sure; he’s received a good deal of vitriol on here, but I doubt if anyone’s criticised his mentality.