Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Carolina Red

Staff
I really don't see what ETH has done wrong with his comment. He was asked why Sancho wasn't in the squad, and simply said he didn't train well enough this week to make the team. That is just how football works, if others are training/performing better than you, then you won't be picked. Nothing controversial at all in that.

Sancho however has made a mess of this, he is basically saying that his performance and training more than warrants making the team, and the only reason he isn't is because ETH is out to get him. That is just childish and unprofessional. He should be buckling down and forcing his way back into the team, not whinging on social media.
Agreed completely. The old saying of “the bit dog barks loudest” comes to mind with Sancho’s reaction.

edit: autocorrect strikes again

Last edited:

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
If he isn't showing it in training for the team then that's why he isn't showing it on the pitch for the first team. He was getting limited time to play as it was but with MM in the team and able to play in his best position, he's not going to play much at all now and I wonder if this is part of his attitude problem.

Either way we should start a trend here of getting some money back from expensive purchases who can't hack the training, can't hack the first team and have personality disorders affecting the club. I see little reason to keep him beyond this January other than the pricetag and profile.

He really needs to be playing week in week out at his stage of the career and isn't likely to get it in Manchester, so he needs to go out to find his first team football team and play there.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
There is a question to ask of him and his ability to link up with Hojlund though, basically replicating the playing conditions of Dortmund and allowing him to show his best. He would be helpful to stick around if we get another Cfwd next summer. But he needs to be training like a monster now and grow up. Seems like he's a boy in a man's world and is stuck in the middle of the road glaring at the headlights. Needs to buckle his ideas up before he gets run over.

FerociousCorgis

It's certainly one for the books.

The Greenwood near return
Sancho vs ETH
The Antony allegations

And we are only in September :lol:
And don't forget our cb injuries and how we are so close to literally having a starting cb pair of maguire and Evans. Oh and the club sale shit dragging on. At this point I'm fully expecting hojlund to get seriously injured on international duty

RedOrange

There is a question to ask of him and his ability to link up with Hojlund though, basically replicating the playing conditions of Dortmund and allowing him to show his best. He would be helpful to stick around if we get another Cfwd next summer. But he needs to be training like a monster now and grow up. Seems like he's a boy in a man's world and is stuck in the middle of the road glaring at the headlights. Needs to buckle his ideas up before he gets run over.
He has likely been told this several times by several different people over his career and it would appear that he does not agree.

RedDevilQuebecois

This is a very solid video from my favorite Youtube-based United fan. All the past history of Sancho either turning up late, not turning up or working like shit in training is there. Don't mess with people from Cork.

Last edited:

Cloud7

And don't forget our cb injuries and how we are so close to literally having a starting cb pair of maguire and Evans. Oh and the club sale shit dragging on. At this point I'm fully expecting hojlund to get seriously injured on international duty
Oh yeah how could I forget our CB pairing being the Leicester CB pairing :lol:

This is a very solid video from my favorite Youtube-based United fan. All the past history of Sancho either turning up late, not turning up or working like shit in training is there. Don't mess with people from Cork.

feck me, I was interested to hear it and then I saw it was over 1hr long??? How on Earth do you people have time (or the inclination) to listen to someone babble on about United for over an hour :eek:

SirMonteyne

He chose Antony and is using it as an excuse. It's a shame that he lost such a valuable squad player. If he truly wanted to give Sancho a chance, he should have given him at least four consecutive starting games at his best position to see if he could perform better than Antony, instead, he decided to send him to private individual training for 3 months and once the new season began, he publicly declared that the player is not good enough. It's a football club with players of different backgrounds/mental states, not a church or ETH's cult.

I don't understand why people are content with losing a technically skilled player in our weakest position. No matter how you view it, ETH mishandled the situation in an immature manner.

RedDevilQuebecois

I don't understand why people are content with losing a technically skilled player in our weakest position. No matter how you view it, ETH mishandled the situation in an immature manner.
This the kind of mindset among modern football fans is what gives a fertile ground to player power. And now look at how it has worked for years with the managers that got sacked over the years. We brought ETH in to kill player power just as the likes of Pep have done at their respective clubs.

If what Ten Hag said looks immature to you, then Sancho is one snowflake of the worst kind. Anyway, I will do with players who may be of lesser skill and yet are far from being as snowflaky as Sancho is.

Rednotdead

Antony might not be setting the world on fire but he is leagues ahead of Sancho in terms of attitude, workrate/ application/ discipline and desire. That is why he is being selected, he doesn’t back down or shirk his responsibilities.

That’s what ETH wants to see, those are the standards he is referring to which are the minimum required for a United player.

Talent only goes so far, and it’s why such an emphasis is being placed on attitude and workrate in his recruitment - Rasmus, Casemiro, Amrabat, Mount, Martinez, Anthony, Onana, Malacia. All of them work really hard on and off the ball

it’s probably a key reason why so many players bought are “known” to him, because he can clearly see the culture is rotten and entitled - Lingard, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Henderson. Sancho/maguire/bailly still here but on the chopping block. Which set of personalities would work and fight harder?

City have all the talent in world but every single one of them works their fecking socks off
Ah, now I get it. The job of a winger isn’t to create chances for the central striker and other attackers, it’s to work.

You’ve described perfectly the job description of a holding midfielder, not a winger.

Rake

A lot of people digging into Sancho here, but Ten Hag got it wrong as well, IMO. Should keep stuff like that in house.
EtH did keep it in house... He made no comment on the situation prior to the question and I don't think he would have.

Sancho is a big name and his miss was bound to raise questions sooner or later, especially with him not even being in the squad. Given that there appears to be some issue with Sancho, as soon as the question was asked there was no getting out of it...

- EtH could have lied and said he was unavailable because of injury or something else, which, give Sancho's response, would have prompted another social media post how there is nothing wrong with him.
- EtH could have refused to answer the question which would surely sprout a ton of articles on why that is.
- The training part was the mildest option (and probably true). He didn't train well this week, next week he improves and is back. Simple. But no, he had to go on social media and cause an even bigger shitstorm. The club has a ton of stuff to deal with at the moment and have pampered him more than enough already with little to no return.

SirMonteyne

This is the kind of mindset that gives a fertile ground to player power. And now look at how it has worked for years with the managers that got sacked over the years. We brought ETH in to kill player power just as the likes of Pep have done at their respective clubs.

If what Ten Hag said looks immature to you, then Sancho is one snowflake of the worst kind. Anyway, I will do with players who may be of lesser skill and yet are far from being as snowflaky as Sancho is.
Nah, There's a tradition that SAF left that every manager has full power over everything. The next manager will have to deal with ETH's players and use this "player's attitude" card. It's not nice guys who win, it's arrogant twats. You don't act like a high-school teacher at a football club, you just give players a few matches to see who's better at this sport, whenever a player isn't performing well, you bench him and see if others can do better.

Fans really don't know if Sancho really has attitude issues, or if ETH lied about him being bad at training. I don't know where this Sancho's attitude issue comes from. Or Sancho might be the scapegoat for ETH's mission to prove Antony's worth starting every game over giving a chance to others.

Cloud7

He chose Antony and is using it as an excuse. It's a shame that he lost such a valuable squad player. If he truly wanted to give Sancho a chance, he should have given him at least four consecutive starting games at his best position to see if he could perform better than Antony, instead, he decided to send him to private individual training for 3 months and once the new season began, he publicly declared that the player is not good enough. It's a football club with players of different backgrounds/mental states, not a church or ETH's cult.

He's been crap for over two years

edgecutter

Anyone that thinks Sancho is unfairly treated go and watch the fa cup final again and tell me that he deserves to be starting matches. He was lucky de gea was worse than him.becaise he didn't even bother his ass in that match.

Kramer

Absolutely on ETH’s side on this one.

Would happily see the back of Sancho as soon as possible.

He has been so casual and careless every time he’s been given an opportunity, it’s infuriating to see. Don’t need players like him in the squad let alone the 1st team.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
I really don't see what ETH has done wrong with his comment. He was asked why Sancho wasn't in the squad, and simply said he didn't train well enough this week to make the team. That is just how football works, if others are training/performing better than you, then you won't be picked. Nothing controversial at all in that.

Sancho however has made a mess of this, he is basically saying that his performance and training more than warrants making the team, and the only reason he isn't is because ETH is out to get him. That is just childish and unprofessional. He should be buckling down and forcing his way back into the team, not whinging on social media.
Sure, but there are different ways you can phrase this as a coach. You could say Sancho was bad our you say the others were better.

It makes a difference if you respond with something more like this: “Everyone has been training so well this week, I’m relly impressed. But ultimately I’m the manager and I have to make the tough choice to leave some of the lads out. After the international break everyone will have the same chance to prove themselves again for our match against Brighton.”

We don’t know what has happened behind the scenes, but I’d wager for the club a response more akin to the one above would have been more beneficial. Of course maybe Ten Hag was just fed up, it’s human. Doesn’t mean there weren’t other options.

justsomebloke

Nah, There's a tradition that SAF left that every manager has full power over everything. The next manager will have to deal with ETH's players and use this "player's attitude" card. It's not nice guys who win, it's arrogant twats. You don't act like a high-school teacher at a football club, you just give players a few matches to see who's better at this sport, whenever a player isn't performing well, you bench him and see if others can do better.

Fans really don't know if Sancho really has attitude issues, or if ETH lied about him being bad at training. I don't know where this Sancho's attitude issue comes from. Or Sancho might be the scapegoat for ETH's mission to prove Antony's worth starting every game over giving a chance to others.
You really think it's more reasonable to assume eth is hell-bent on promoting Antony no matter what and is just making up stuff about Sancho, than to assume that Sancho hasn't been performing well in training? Seriously?

crossy1686

career ending

:lol: Yes, the guy that’s been accused of having a poor attitude by Pep before leaving City, banned by the Budesliga and called out by Dortmund for having a bad attitude towards training, dropped by Southgate for being late to team meetings is a scapegoat in a campaign by the manager.

If you don’t know what you’re talking about it’s best not to comment on subjects.

He’s shit and he’s stole a living for two full seasons and people like you want to keep him around because he’s good on FIFA.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A lot of people digging into Sancho here, but Ten Hag got it wrong as well, IMO. Should keep stuff like that in house.
Disagree, why should he have to publicly lie to defend someone who he's given ample support to. If you're going to get paid a superstars salary, the bare minimum you can do is train to your coaches/manager's standards.

astracrazy

Christ, I could put in effort. Last season Antony created 2 more chances than me and scored 4 more goals than me in the league.

Just think about it for a second.
So on par with Sancho in his first season at Utd, where are you proving he is better?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Disagree, why should he have to publicly lie to defend someone who he's given ample support to. If you're going to get paid a superstars salary, the bare minimum you can do is train to your coaches/manager's standards.
Because it can damage them mentally. Sancho we know is mentally fragile and still pretty young. There is a different approach required for those types of players.

That tactic works on some players but not on others. Ten Hag played the wrong card there, and I reckon he knows it too. He may have been mistakenly too direct at the time as he's known to be. Hes not perfect.

Ricardo de la Vega

Sack Ten Hag sell Sancho and Antony as we're into it.

Problem solved.

I'm talking seriously by the way.
Sanchos gotta go after that. No way you can challenge the manager publicly like that and survive if you want to keep the manager. People might not like Ten Hag calling Sancho out but I dont mind it personally; I guess hes tried about everything to motivate the guy and its not worked.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because it can damage them mentally. Sancho we know is mentally fragile and still pretty young. There is a different approach required for those types of players.

That tactic works on some players but not on others. Ten Hag played the wrong card there, and I reckon he knows it too. He may have been mistakenly too direct at the time as he's known to be. Hes not perfect.
It's not like that approach hasn't been taken before though and it's done nothing. This isn't the first time we're talking about Sancho and this the first time the finger has finally been pointed at him.

Ten Hag shouldn't have to coddle him into training to his standard or perform on the pitch - again, he is one of our highest paid players. You can get away with poor training if you do it on the pitch. Tevez was a notorious rubbish trainer, but you have to at least perform in one of those places.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but he wouldn't have said anything if someone hadn't asked about Sancho, so it's not like he's made a big deal out of it.

RedDevilQuebecois

:lol::lol::lol:

Obviously, you're the type of person who doesn't take the time to get better educated on a subject before typing anything.

Inside Jadon Sancho’s troubled career, indiscipline issues as he fights Ten Hag

1. Manchester City
Pep Guardiola said:
"I don't know. He didn't want to take this challenge, this opportunity to discover if he was able to." - Bleacher Report on March 16, 2019
2. Borussia Dortmund
  • 20 October 2019: Sancho was fined up to 100,000 pounds for turning up late for training with no justifiable excuse after being away on international duty. His actions upset manager Lucien Favre, who dropped him from his squad to face Borussia Monchengladbach. - 90 Min
  • 7 June 2020: During the COVID-19 lockdown, he, alongside Manuel Akanji, were fined for having a haircut in their home, which was a contravention of the rules set in place to curb the pandemic. The Bundesliga also fined Sancho because of that violation. Then-teammate Emre Can had this to say about Sancho ->
Emre Can said:
"He just has to be a little bit smarter about these things. Everyone needs a hairdresser. He needs to grow up. He can't afford to make mistakes like that in the future." - Sky Sports on 7 June 2020
3. England
  • Gareth Southgate confirmed that Sancho's lack of playing time at the Euros (Euro 2020 in the summer of 2021) was down to lack of training form.

So that's Pep Guardiola, Lucien Favre, Emre Can, Gareth Southgate and now Erik ten Hag, who all either did or said something towards Jadon Sancho's poor attitude. That's a lot of people if you ask me.

Last but not least, tell me where and how Sancho has performed whenever he was given playing minutes so far this season. If he can't suck it up and work harder just like AWB and Luke Shaw did before him, that's his problem. Garnacho is definitely younger than Sancho when the former was criticized by Ten Hag in earlier stages of last season, but Garnacho took criticism as a source of motivation instead of complaining or sulking. A football club does not have and should not have patience for weak characters because there are other players willing to do whatever necessary to steal Sancho's spot, whether you like it or not.

Overhaul FC

That's more than a little speculative in my view. He didn't look out of shape to me in the games he played before picking up his injury, and we have no meaningful information that the injury is related to that sort of thing.
Depends how discerning your eyes are. Luke Shaw's only once ever looked around a level of 10% bodyfat which is near the max you'd expect a professional player to be in this day and age.

I think that was around 4 years ago when he went on a post season training programme in Dubai. Other than that he's been carrying excess bodyfat and I wouldn't be surprised if his career didn't go deep into his 30s. Time will tell.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not like that approach hasn't been taken before though and it's done nothing. This isn't the first time we're talking about Sancho and this the first time the finger has finally been pointed at him.

Ten Hag shouldn't have to coddle him into training to his standard or perform on the pitch - again, he is one of our highest paid players. You can get away with poor training if you do it on the pitch. Tevez was a notorious rubbish trainer, but you have to at least perform in one of those places.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but he wouldn't have said anything if someone hadn't asked about Sancho, so it's not like he's made a big deal out of it.
I didn't say he needs to coddle him. He just doesn't need to go to the complete opposite extreme. It's already clear it's had a negative impact on Sancho.

Ricardo de la Vega

:lol::lol::lol:

Obviously, you're the type of person who doesn't take the time to get better educated on a subject before typing anything.

Inside Jadon Sancho’s troubled career, indiscipline issues as he fights Ten Hag

1. Manchester City

2. Borussia Dortmund
  • 20 October 2019: Sancho was fined up to 100,000 pounds for turning up late for training with no justifiable excuse after being away on international duty. His actions upset manager Lucien Favre, who dropped him from his squad to face Borussia Monchengladbach. - 90 Min
  • 7 June 2020: During the COVID-19 lockdown, he, alongside Manuel Akanji, were fined for having a haircut in their home, which was a contravention of the rules set in place to curb the pandemic. The Bundesliga also fined Sancho because of that violation. Then-teammate Emre Can had this to say about Sancho ->

3. England
  • Gareth Southgate confirmed that Sancho's lack of playing time at the Euros was down to lack of training form.

So that's Pep Guardiola, Lucien Favre, Emre Can, Gareth Southgate and now Erik ten Hag who all either did or said something towards Jadon Sancho's poor attitude. That's a lot of people if you ask me.

Last but not least, tell me where and how Sancho has performed whenever he was given playing minutes so far this season. If he can't suck it up and work harder just like AWB and Luke Shaw did before him, that's his problem. Garnacho is definitely younger than Sancho when the former was criticized by Ten Hag in earlier stages of last season, but Garnacho took criticism as a source of motivation instead of complaining or sulking. A football club does not have and should not have patience for weak characters because there are other players willing to do whatever necessary to steal Sancho's spot, whether you like it or not.
Think this is fair. I really want Sancho to be great. I think he's got so much ability its unreal, so much potential we can't even imagine, but he's in the wrong about this. Maybe Ten Hag is too - but he's the coach, he's paid to motivate his players, and sometimes he'll get things wrong. If you want him to coach the team, he's got to be backed even if you disagree in the way he's going about it. I think people on here are already wanting to see the back of ETH however, and thats influencing how they see this issue.

Judas

Open to offers
If Sancho never played for us again we'd never notice. Every time he steps on the pitch it's just desperate hope that he might play well, but that hopes faded so much, it almost feels silly thinking it at this point.

I refuse to believe this :lol:
By his standards that's a measured calm post.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Yes. Well said. We all know that there is only going to be one winner in this. And that has to be the manager.

Judas

Open to offers
Teeny tiny part of me feels for Sancho, because he's not in charge of his twitter, barely any of them are. He probably wanted to make the statement, but that means people around him felt this was a good idea and needed to be said? Badly let down by the people who are meant to be protecting his career and his "brand". No adult should have oked the decision to post a very unnecessary and ill advised response.

Or he might just be trying to force his way out, and this was the easiest way.

SirMonteyne

I have never been bothered by a player's arrogance or attitude. Sancho is undoubtedly a skilled player, but ETH lost one of their players at the start of the season for unspecified reasons. It's unacceptable, no matter how you view it, it reflects poor man-management and squad-management. For what reason does he have to say "he is that bad to be left" publicly?