Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Redstain

Think its got the point where the more time proceeds the more it falls into the hands of the player and the manager is absolved as they have to uphold the standard.

Talksport did make a good point the reason football fans are debating about the decision is because of the uncertainty around EtH if he's the manager in 24 months time remains to be seen (from rival perspective) he still has much to prove and current United form has been disastrous.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Some weird mental issue going on where you’re addicted to a game which you’re a professional in. Imagine the amount he spends on Ultimate Team.

Imagine ETH getting called out for being on Football Manager at 2am in the morning.

Last edited:

quadrant

Losing your career as a real professional footballer because you spend too much time being a virtual professional footballer is a pretty wild notion. There's a Black Mirror episode in there somewhere.

mintyred

I'm very confused as to why people want Sancho back. I don't even think he's had 5 good games for us. This is actually a brilliant situation because we can get rid of more dead wood. I'm also at the point of not caring about his "mental health issues". Mental health is a broad term that could be a lot of things from depression to a bit of anxiety, and having mental health issues is no excuse to be an asshole. Hanging around with an unemployed bum like Lingard is proof he's not in the right head space and is probably being taken advantage of.

hobbers

If you're going to get addicted to a game at least have the self respect to pick a half decent one.

MegadrivePerson

It shows an incredible lack of due diligence before signing him though.

Why on earth would we commit to a massive fee and wages on a player with clear problems around off the field discipline.

Oranges038

What does "done here" look like?

United wont pay him off for the 4 years left on his contract and there is no suiters out there for him to move to.

Does "done here" mean he trains with the reserves until his contract expires?

I bet you Sancho apologies and in the next month or so, we see him play for the first team.
Done here means no matter what, he's not brought back into the first team and is shipped out in January on loan or sold with Utd subsidising his wages.

He should not be given any more chances.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

Why on earth would we commit to a massive fee and wages on a player with clear problems around off the field discipline.
it is crazy, the red flags were there since City days. Sam Peoples made a good video earlier with the history of Sanchos past issues. What ETH said in public was mild compared to the public criticism he got from Favre, Michael Zorc and even Emre Can at Dortmund.

I cant be too judgemental though, as I was very much on the transfer muppet bandwagon to get him in.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I hope my mother doesn't find out about this Sancho character. She'll never let me live it down that playing video games late at night can ruin your career.

lex talionis

I was so wrong about Sancho. High hopes based on his firm at Dortmund, but what this proves is that a club has to assess a prospect as a human being, not just a talent on the pitch.

tomaldinho1

Especially with the Dortmund quotes (which name senior management there and haven’t been refuted) about how they basically pandered to him after giving up on him being professional which they could do knowing full well he was there to be sold.

Cloud7

Some weird mental issue going on where you’re addicted to a game which you’re a professional in. Imagine the amount he spend on Ultimate Team.

Imagine ETH getting called out for being on Football Manager at 2am in the morning.
:lol: :lol:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I'm very confused as to why people want Sancho back. I don't even think he's had 5 good games for us. This is actually a brilliant situation because we can get rid of more dead wood. I'm also at the point of not caring about his "mental health issues". Mental health is a broad term that could be a lot of things from depression to a bit of anxiety, and having mental health issues is no excuse to be an asshole. Hanging around with an unemployed bum like Lingard is proof he's not in the right head space and is probably being taken advantage of.
Only Rashford and Bruno scored more than him last season in the PL, and I think (might be wrong) that even Bruno wouldn’t be ahead if it wasn’t for penalties. And I’m sure he played way less minutes than those two to get there. There’s 101 questions about all aspects of his game, attitude, and general health. But it definitely feels like people are now trying to represent him as having done absolutely nothing, no contribution whatsoever, when that’s not really the case.

Dazzmondo

I don't believe for a second that ETH would actually play Sancho again after this even if Sancho did apologise, so I imagine Sancho looks at it the same way. He'll leave in January. Wouldn't be surprised if he does well elsewhere because the talent is still there.

Laurencio

This just feels like a dick swinging contest now. Any apology would be absolutely contrived, and largely meaningless, so it’s just a game of chicken.
It all feels very pointless. Should have just sold him in the summer. This is just unnecessary drama. Sancho being immature and not just apologising, and ETH painting himself into a corner with his whole authority spiel. No one wins in this stupid saga.

fezzerUTD

Ten Hag should be picking up the phone to his Ajax pals. Loaning him to Ajax may be a way for him to find some form again.

The way Ajax are going, they could use the help.

At this point, its about showing that Sancho can still play football, in the hope that there is a club out there daft enough to take on his wages. Forget getting a big transfer fee for him. He will be harder to shift that Maguire and McTominay combined.
11k posts and still coming out with crap like this :confused:

peridigm

I don't believe for a second that ETH would actually play Sancho again after this even if Sancho did apologise, so I imagine Sancho looks at it the same way. He'll leave in January. Wouldn't be surprised if he does well elsewhere because the talent is still there.
Talent is worthless without motivation.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
This just feels like a dick swinging contest now. Any apology would be absolutely contrived, and largely meaningless, so it’s just a game of chicken.
I agree with this. I never understood the value of forcing someone to apologize. He won't mean it, and it doesn't solve the underlying issues. The only conversation should be figuring out how Sancho can match the level of professionalism required by the manager. Anything else is a waste of time and energy.

the_cliff

I'm sure he'll have plenty of motivation to prove people wrong after this
You would've thought he'd have plenty of motivation to prove the manager and the majority of the fans wrong as well after this.

Turns out he prefers to cash in and play FIFA till the early hours.

He's a joke.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If he truly is suffering from a mental health problem that's entirely fine for me. Being a professional footballer sounds easy, but it really isn't. If you hate training, hate rigid schedules, hate having to push yourself and study and all that then it's not for you, despite however much talent you have.

If Jadon Sancho has, after numerous years at this level, decided the lifestyle is not for him, that's entirely plasuible. But he should then retire, or rip up his contract.

The fact that he's happy to sit at home earning each and every penny is what is so galling here. Either acknowledge playing for Manchester United is not for you, and walk away as a free agent, or apologise to your boss and get back to work.

Dazzmondo

You would've thought he'd have plenty of motivation to prove the manager and the majority of the fans wrong as well after this.

Turns out he prefers to cash in and play FIFA till the early hours.

He's a joke.
Based on the comments he's made, Sancho seems to be under the impression that performances don't matter because the manager has favourites like Antony that he will stick with regardless of performance. Can't say I disagree with Sancho on this point, considering how many poor performances certain players have gotten away with without losing their spot in the first 11.

HookedOnAPhelan

If he truly is suffering from a mental health problem that's entirely fine for me. Being a professional footballer sounds easy, but it really isn't. If you hate training, hate rigid schedules, hate having to push yourself and study and all that then it's not for you, despite however much talent you have.

If Jadon Sancho has, after numerous years at this level, decided the lifestyle is not for him, that's entirely plasuible. But he should then retire, or rip up his contract.

The fact that he's happy to sit at home earning each and every penny is what is so galling here. Either acknowledge playing for Manchester United is not for you, and walk away as a free agent, or apologise to your boss and get back to work.
He obviously isn't. There's no way Ten Hag and the club would've been so tough with him if he was depressed or had other issues, they would've done everything to protect him instead.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree with this. I never understood the value of forcing someone to apologize. He won't mean it, and it doesn't solve the underlying issues. The only conversation should be figuring out how Sancho can match the level of professionalism required by the manager. Anything else is a waste of time and energy.
Yep, exactly. I don't think ten Hag was wrong for having high expectations of his players, and for creating consequences when those weren't met. I'm sure every good manager Utd have had, has done that, but perhaps in more subtle ways. But the situation you're left with just seems to be terrible for everybody. The worst thing for Utd would be paying a player 100% of their wages and receiving 0% of their potential contribution to the team. The worst thing for Sancho is just to sit here isolated, losing fitness and resenting the club that pays him.

Dazzmondo

He obviously isn't. There's no way Ten Hag and the club would've been so tough with him if he was depressed or had other issues, they would've done everything to protect him instead.
This is nonsense. The club and manager don't get to decide whether someone is suffering from depression/mental issues or not, and in general mental health has never been a high priority for clubs in the past. They just treat them as financial assets that either deliver or don't, and if they don't deliver, they're not worth anything.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Yep, exactly. I don't think ten Hag was wrong for having high expectations of his players, and for creating consequences when those weren't met. I'm sure every good manager Utd have had, has done that, but perhaps in more subtle ways. But the situation you're left with just seems to be terrible for everybody. The worst thing for Utd would be paying a player 100% of their wages and receiving 0% of their potential contribution to the team. The worst thing for Sancho is just to sit here isolated, losing fitness and resenting the club that pays him.
I'd say there is a worse outcome: ETH bends and then training across the squad gets poorer. Other players have strops. Quality falls.

That's why ETH can't back down. It's not just about Sancho, it's about precedent.

HookedOnAPhelan

This is nonsense. The club and manager don't get to decide whether someone is suffering from depression/mental issues or not, and in general mental health has never been a high priority for clubs in the past. They just treat them as financial assets that either deliver or don't, and if they don't deliver, they're not worth anything.
That's a ridiculously cynical take. If Ten Hag and the club know that Sancho is suffering from mental issues, and still ostracize him like this, it would be a PR nightmare, and rightly so.

Dazzmondo

That's a ridiculously cynical take. If Ten Hag and the club know that Sancho is suffering from mental issues, and still ostracize him like this, it would be a PR nightmare, and rightly so.
You don't know Sancho in person and whether you like him or not you don't have any right to say he isn't suffering from depression or mental issues. You and nobody else on here knows anything about it.

Dazzmondo

He must have some chip on his shoulder then because he could just motivate himself to play here.
It sounds like he does based on his comments. Whether it's true or not, his comments seem to indicate pretty obviously to me at least that he believes ETH has his favourites and treats them differently than others. Because of this, in Sancho's mind, if a favourite underperforms they're going to be given significantly more leeway than if a non-favourite has 30 mins and underperforms (or maybe even outperforms a favourite).