Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Tender Teacher

Feels like a move would best suit all parties at this point.

He isn't going to turn things around at United and requires a fresh start mentally.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The difference is the fans, media and the club had full confidence and got behind the gaffer. He earned it.
ETH does not command the same respect/trust. But he should be, at least from the club side. Fans and media are fickle and change their tunes however it chooses them.
Sancho has done absolutely nothing for this United team, and I don't think he ever will. Even if ETH got sacked tomorrow, I want him gone he's as useless as they come.

RedDevil@84

Sancho has done absolutely nothing for this United team, and I don't think he ever will. Even if ETH got sacked tomorrow, I want him gone he's as useless as they come.
My point being that if the club (people above ETH) believe in ETH's project and methods (They should have else they are fools to recruit him), then they should clearly back the manager. And not try to broker some sort of peace treaty.

Tyrion

Agreed. I saw a presenter ask a pundit about ETH "deciding to sit Sancho out" as if it was a big gamble that has failed and almost laughed. Sancho hasn't really added anything when he's played.

The last few weeks have been his biggest impact so far.

T_Model101

The deal suggested would be incredible
The manager obviously acknowledges his talent and was interested in him contributing this year, maybe as a false 9
Sadly yer man's work ethic has ruled himself out

Gavinb33

Part of the manager's role is to get the best out of his players when things aren't going perfectly. Some players deserve a rollicking, others need an arm round. Fergie was a master at this. He knew which buttons to press with each player.

Surely, ETH's public ridiculing of Sancho was intended to get the best out of the player. It clearly failed spectacularly.

I think if the manager had his time again, he'd refrain from slating Sancho to the media.

Sancho's questionable attitude aside, ETH has failed to get the best out of his player on the training pitch or on the field. That can't be denied. He then loses his composure and slates his player publicly and the relationship is unsalvageable.

Horrendous man-management.
The player has to get the best out of themselves as well this isn't a one way street where Sancho's performances and training is solely down to the manager, further to that he didn't slate him or ridicule him or anything like he basically said others trained better than him and that's why he wasn't selected, ten Hag has been massively patient with the player but the player is brain dead there isn't much you can do with that

Teat

The player has to get the best out of themselves as well this isn't a one way street where Sancho's performances and training is solely down to the manager, further to that he didn't slate him or ridicule him or anything like he basically said others trained better than him and that's why he wasn't selected, ten Hag has been massively patient with the player but the player is brain dead there isn't much you can do with that
I did say "Sancho's questionable attitude aside", which many seem to have ignored. I was referring totally to ETH's man management skills. Regardless of how big a dick Sancho might have been, ETH has handled it awfully.

Teat

Was it horrendous man management by City, Dortmund and England? After all, he had the same problems with all of those.

Maybe, just maybe, it is Sancho that is totally at fault.
I'd say Sancho is massively at fault. But he's not the only one at fault. Players having a cr@p attitude under ETH is becoming a problem. He seems to struggle to prevent players from downing tools when it gets tough.

fallengt

Surely, ETH's public ridiculing of Sancho was intended to get the best out of the player. It clearly failed spectacularly.
This crap again. Sigh..
Why people think they have strong opinion on the matter when they can't even bother to watch the original interview that started this. Well for the matter of fact, most of us already had forgot that interview, that was such throwaway answer that any manager could give, until Sancho started to blow it up himself. Some of you make it sound like ETH made 5 minutes "football erritage" rant about Sancho lack of effort.

Pep had done much worse.

Last edited:

saivet

Doesn't get more petulant and immature than the reply from Sancho over this, sabotaged his United career needlessly.
Then followed by his lack of apology. ETH gave him the opportunity to apologise and move on yet, he's been stubborn about it.

Lost bear

I did say "Sancho's questionable attitude aside", which many seem to have ignored. I was referring totally to ETH's man management skills. Regardless of how big a dick Sancho might have been, ETH has handled it awfully.
Do you think so? I’m not sure how, exactly. It was a reasonable criticism and there was no insult involved. On balance, it seems to me that Sancho had the opportunity to respond by letting his football do the talking. Instead, he behaved like a sullen teenager, venturing onto social media to moan that it’s all so unfair.
The club should back ETH and the player should move on.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Quick reminder

Should be quoted in every thread about Sancho to remind people of big a douchebag Sancho is. Throwing his career at United for a simple explanation why he wasn’t selected.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Never understand why this thread is always so high up on the forum. Are there people who are slandering Ten Hagg over Sancho?

big_jeffstar

Should be quoted in every thread about Sancho to remind people of big a douchebag Sancho is. Throwing his career at United for a simple explanation why he wasn’t selected.
Maybe he’s just looking for a way out because the premier league doesn’t allow him as much time and space on the ball as he had in Germany, so he doesn’t feel like a superstar here?.. I’m leaning that way, there’s more to this than just that one comment, I don’t think he’s up for the challenge personally

M16Red

“Football is very beautiful, but it’s cruel,” Pogba said. “People can forget you. You can do something great – the next day, you’re nobody.” - Pogba.

Plays Fifa (sancho) when he could be playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, muppet.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He really didn't. A player comes out on social media and calls the manager a liar. If he doesn't apologise for that he gets consequences. It's that simple.

Fergie would have done the same, Pep too.

Tyrion

He really didn't. A player comes out on social media and calls the manager a liar. If he doesn't apologise for that he gets consequences. It's that simple.

Fergie would have done the same, Pep too.
Fergie and Pep probably wouldn't have even offered to let him back if he apologised or given him so much time off last year. ETH has been pretty soft on him.

Yorke to Cole

This is finished.

The story goes that apparently on the Friday morning before the Arsenal match, Sancho and Ten Hag had a massive bust up on the training field which resulted in Sancho driving away back home.

Subsequently, Ten Hag was asked why Sancho was not in the entire squad for the match and as everyone knows he replied "his training performances were not to the standard". Again as everyone knows, Sancho made his reply online saying it was lies.

Sancho believed he was training to the standard required, but I think Ten Hag revealed his probable starting line up and again favoured Antony, who we all remember was about to face allegations in his native Brazil.

It was not just Ten Hag, who faced Sancho's wrath it was the entire coaching staff.

Sancho believes he is in the predicament where he knows he is leaving and is fully aware that the club will listen to offers and we're going to do so during this past summer transfer window.

Sancho, like Maguire, McTominay, Van De Beek are there in limbo because is incapable of moving players when necessary. It leaves Ten Hag in an awkward situation with the risk of motivation falling on the floor because everything gets kicked down the road.

I suggest everyone forgets it and just move onto the next hurdle.

LDUred

Ten Hag comes across as a 'big fish in a small pond' manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills needed in a club outside his comfort zone.

His way of relating to the players is probably exactly the same as it was at Ajax, where you can probably be a little dictatorial and get away with it. He's sticking to his principles rigidly but he's also got to figure out that the footballing culture here is a different kettle of fish.

Remember the geese

Ten Hag is probably a 'big fish in a small pond' kind of manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills that you need in a club outside your comfort zone.

His way of relating to the players is probably exactly the same as it was at Ajax, where you can probably be a little dictatorial and get away with it. It doesn't fly here and he needs to figure that out quickly.
Nothing wrong with being dictatorial with players who aren't good enough.

AshRK

Ten Hag comes across as a 'big fish in a small pond' manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills that needed in a club outside his comfort zone.

His way of relating to the players is probably exactly the same as it was at Ajax, where you can probably be a little dictatorial and get away with it. He's sticking to his principles rigidly but he's also got to figure out that the footballing culture here is a different kettle of fish.
But what has he done in particular to say he has been dictatorial, just because of sancho and ronaldo? Well if that's the the case then arteta is also a dictator for binning auba and ozil and others, pep is a huge dictator for the way he handled bastian at Bayern or Hart at City or yaya toure , a club legend, at city. What about Jose, sir alex. Why is it only with our manager that he has to protect the players mentality at the cost of the club, nothing wrong in bringing some decorum, one should say.

moodyred

Quick reminder

He didn't perform at training and hence didn't get selected. I do not see anything wrong with the comment at all. Only strawberries get crushed by comments like that. Weak.

He should let what he does on the pitch do the talking. He was dropped due to his performance on the pitch and probably off it as well like ETH said.

the_cliff

Ten Hag comes across as a 'big fish in a small pond' manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills needed in a club outside his comfort zone.

I'm sure that must be easy enough for anyone you know. Considering where Ajax have been/are since he left.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I dont think its that obvious. We had LVG and Jose, multi-silverware managers and yet they failed.

Is it the players? ETH brought in 12 players. So his clique -- if the dressing room is fractured -- is pretty substantial.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is finished.

The story goes that apparently on the Friday morning before the Arsenal match, Sancho and Ten Hag had a massive bust up on the training field which resulted in Sancho driving away back home.

Subsequently, Ten Hag was asked why Sancho was not in the entire squad for the match and as everyone knows he replied "his training performances were not to the standard". Again as everyone knows, Sancho made his reply online saying it was lies.

Sancho believed he was training to the standard required, but I think Ten Hag revealed his probable starting line up and again favoured Antony, who we all remember was about to face allegations in his native Brazil.

It was not just Ten Hag, who faced Sancho's wrath it was the entire coaching staff.

Sancho believes he is in the predicament where he knows he is leaving and is fully aware that the club will listen to offers and we're going to do so during this past summer transfer window.

Sancho, like Maguire, McTominay, Van De Beek are there in limbo because is incapable of moving players when necessary. It leaves Ten Hag in an awkward situation with the risk of motivation falling on the floor because everything gets kicked down the road.

I suggest everyone forgets it and just move onto the next hurdle.
Sancho the cnut just wants to be a part-time player but gets paid for full-time work.

Nice if you can get it.

3-4 months off last season --- and already 5 weeks already this season?

fallengt

So what are you suggesting? We keep this amazing culture at United where players can do whatever they want or we have someone to set a standard?

You can only pick either and not something in between.
What Sancho should've done? just shut the feck up, no one would've remembered anything and he would be playing right now. This whole thing wasn't nearly as bad as when Arsenal (not only Arteta) villainized Ozil to reset culture.

Last edited:

mariko48

All the players except Sancho seem to respect him though. I guess that his method is fine here.