Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Hammondo

That kind of technicality might work in a court room, but the implication is clear. You don’t make a scapegoat with honest intentions.

People trying to handwave Sancho’s actions are reaching.
Nothing to do with technically, it's what those words mean.

You could argue he might have implied it, but it's a stretch. He didn't even suggest dishonesty.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have, it can be. It's not like everything is easy over there but you are challenged less.

This is why you need to include cl performances, to get a better balance. He's playing for a club who are better than us, playing in a bigger competition.

I'm no sanches fan but you are clearly being very bias, that's why so many have picked up on his better performances. This "gobshite" this is currently a very United thing.

Also we don't know what happened in training, we know 2 people disagree about it.
I'm not picking up any bias. He's not consistent in his own Bundasliga performances and you can only count a couple of good CL showings. You cannot extrapolate prolonged form from cherry picking a small handful good of performances - that is a Paul Pogba fallacy.

Yeah we don't know what happened in training, just that Sancho was accused by a third superior this time in another club and league of the same problems he showed before. And this time he realized there's a consequence for it. And what we do know is he gave a careless social media post and then fecked off to new York and not bother proving anyone wrong about his training levels, whilst an international teenager competing for his position came in to train and get a head start.

If he was any good, he'd have people wanting to buy him. The fact they aren't tells you everything.

Hammondo

I'm not picking up any bias. He's not consistent in his own Bundasliga performances and you can only count a couple of good CL showings. You cannot extrapolate prolonged form from cherry picking a small handful good of performances - that is a Paul Pogba fallacy.

Yeah we don't know what happened in training, just that Sancho was accused by a third superior this time in another club and league of the same problems he showed before. And this time he realized there's a consequence for it.

If he was any good, he'd have people wanting to buy him. The fact they aren't tells you everything.
I never said he was consistent, just better than we have had this season. We have attacking players we would struggle to give away.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I never said he was consistent, just better than we have had this season. We have attacking players we would struggle to give away.
Well that's debatable. He's not better than Garnacho and he has mildly better output than Antony in a worse league. I think Rashford has a better output, if I'm not mistaken.

However, even if we agree that he is better than one of the wingers, he was a poison of influence so you're not actually considering the impact that has on the discipline and levels of other players.

Hes proven nothing wrong, he's doing OKish in the Bundasliga (much easier league) and did very well in 2 CL games (probably more motivated given the stakes) but exhibited the same up downs he did at United. He's not missed.

Hammondo

Well that's debatable. He's not better than Garnacho and he has mildly better output than Antony in a worse league. I think Rashford has a better output, if I'm not mistaken.

However, even if we agree that he is better than one of the wingers, he was a poison of influence so you're not actually considering the impact that has on the discipline and levels of other players.

Hes proven nothing wrong, he's doing OKish in the Bundasliga (much easier league) and did very well in 2 CL games (probably more motivated given the stakes) but exhibited the same up downs he did at United. He's not missed.
It's very 1 dimensional to look at direct output, if you look at overall performance he's significantly better than Rashford, Antony, and Rasmus.

As I have said before, he's not played well enough for us, and Ive no idea if he would understand a new manager, but we can't get close to a full 11 who have been good enough.

tomaldinho1

I couldn't care less if we keep Sancho, but it's clear it's a very United bias the way some react to him. Could he do better under a different manager? Probably but I've no idea by how much. Could a replacement be worse? Yep. So it's kinda 50/50 to me.

I think the main problems I have with it all is that the Sancho tweet was fine, just defending himself, which any reasonable person would expect if someone criticises someone publicly. And that our standards from Ten Hag have been so low, he's ignored and allowed such poor effort and quality that it's hard to take what he has said seriously.
Is that true?

ETH said: "On his performance on training, we didn't select him"

All that is saying is the manager though a different player was ahead of him for his position. So Rashford/Garnacho LW (Sancho's preferred role) and Antony RW. Literally every manager picks their team like this.

I don't really get what the bolded sentence means.

Hammondo

Is that true?

ETH said: "On his performance on training, we didn't select him"

All that is saying is the manager though a different player was ahead of him for his position. So Rashford/Garnacho LW (Sancho's preferred role) and Antony RW. Literally every manager picks their team like this.

I don't really get what the bolded sentence means.
Because ten hag has allowed, and therefore supported amazingly lazy and low quality performances consistently all season. If he kept the rest of the squad to half the standard he's claiming he's keeping Sancho to, we would do better.

Yakuza_devils

It's unbelievable that both are professional being paid millions of pounds per year but acted like a child from both side.

1) The player didn't train properly
2) The manager announced to whole world in the media
3) The player defended himself
4) The manager asked for public apology
5) The player refused
6) The player was out of the team a few months
7) The player go on loan

The club is valued at 5-6Billions and we are talking about a 80M asset. I would have thought the club should have a standard procedure to deal with trivial matters like this? How badly run we are and now ETH is following Murtough's way?

tomaldinho1

Because ten hag has allowed, and therefore supported amazingly lazy and low quality performances consistently all season. If he kept the rest of the squad to half the standard he's claiming he's keeping Sancho to, we would do better.
I don't agree re laziness, that's the issue for Sancho. Quality wise you are right there have been some really poor individual and team performances but ETH seems quite simple in what he wants as a minimum - punctuality and hard work (i.e. professionalism) and the two players I would say have appeared lazy on the pitch at times are Sancho and Rashford and both have been dropped. Rashford was also dropped for punctuality and reacted well.

Hammondo

I don't agree re laziness, that's the issue for Sancho. Quality wise you are right there have been some really poor individual and team performances but ETH seems quite simple in what he wants as a minimum - punctuality and hard work (i.e. professionalism) and the two players I would say have appeared lazy on the pitch at times are Sancho and Rashford and both have been dropped. Rashford was also dropped for punctuality and reacted well.
Rashford has not been dropped, hes been lazy all season and played when hes been fit.

tomaldinho1

Rashford has not been dropped, hes been lazy all season and played when hes been fit.
He was dropped for Chelsea both games, was dropped for being seen out clubbing when he was 'ill', that's three off the top of my head.

Hammondo

He was dropped for Chelsea both games, was dropped for being seen out clubbing when he was 'ill', that's three off the top of my head.
For very very few games, holy hell he should be dropped for a long period of time for going out clubbing like that, and then he makes 0 effort, any club with standards would have benched him for most of the season.

tomaldinho1

For very very few games, holy hell he should be dropped for a long period of time for going out clubbing like that, and then he makes 0 effort, any club with standards would have benched him for most of the season.
I think the key is his reaction, not that he did it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
From what I have read the managers before ten Hag have said he didn't cause any problems, and was just late at times.

Ten hag didn't mention that, that wasn't the reason given btw.
Ten Hag said he didn't train well, turning up late is probably not training well in his book

Bwuk

Sancho got this one wrong. Now he’s having to play in a champions league semi, and potentially a final.

If he’d stayed and listened to Ten Hag he could have been part of a side getting battered by Palace.

frostbite

Sancho got this one wrong. Now he’s having to play in a champions league semi, and potentially a final.

If he’d stayed and listened to Ten Hag he could have been part of a side getting battered by Palace.
If only he had apologized! He could be a sub for the unstoppable Antony at 85 minutes.

Robaldo

Don't think I could side with a player who sacrificed half a season of his career because a manager said something mean about him. No serious player would respond like that.

Woziak

Don't think I could side with a player who sacrificed half a season of his career because a manager said something mean about him. No serious player would respond like that.
If Tuchel takes over he might want to keep him and get rid of Antony, Jason Wilcox his under 18 coach at City might know how to get the best out of him, I’m not convinced he’s being sold, I’m more convinced that ETH will be sacked!

frostbite

I wouldn't side with a clueless manager that destroyed our whole season. ETH is the main reason for all these problems.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He contested what the manager said about him & didn't back down . Good for him.
ETH didn't need to say what he did to the press, he needed talk directly to the player.
I'm not saying that Sancho is an innocent here but ETH turned it into a dogs breakfast.

Lee565

I would be Anti sancho if it wasn't for the fact that he got fed up of playing second fiddle to Antony who is both a worse footballer and human being

lex talionis

Regarding the credibility duel between Erik and Jadon, it must be acknowledged that Jadon has the distinct edge.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He looks confident on the ball, but still I doubt his workrate and output. All fart and little shit tonight.

KeanoMagicHat

What I don't get about the whole Sancho deal is that he played well on the right for Dortmund, and we desperately needed a right winger.

Then he comes here and Ole says immediately he prefers to play on the left despite having Martial and Rashford who also prefer playing on the left. And then is treated like a left winger despite the fact he looks better on the right.

Then goes back to Dortmund and immediately goes back to play on the right in the biggest European nights.

Sorta sums up our complete mismanagement of resources and players for years.

SER19

Rubbish tonight. But this is what you get with sancho and rashford. Some highs and lots of lows. The highs greatly overrated by fans

chris123

The hyperbole surrounding him is a bit silly. He was fairly poor and useless tonight but people get carried away with the two or three dribbles he does which come off. You can still see all of the signs of why he struggled with the pace of the Premier League. He's a player that needs a lot of time and space.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
The hyperbole surrounding him is a bit silly. He was fairly poor and useless tonight but people get carried away with the two or three dribbles he does which come off. You can still see all of the signs of why he struggled with the pace of the Premier League. He's a player that needs a lot of time and space.
Which he obviously doesn´t get in the possession-based ball dominant tiki-taka that United have employed all season. :nervous:

Woodenlung

He was very badly profiled by Solksjaer. Doesn't have the pace to consistently beat a defender and is best suited to making quick passes forward and then running on to link the attack further. When he first arrived we tried using him as a runner like Rashford and it just didn't work. Would have been far better suited to a Guardiola side. But then again they work relentlessly off the ball and Sancho doesn't really.

Never should have signed him in hindsight. I don't think he's in any way shown that he's good enough to have a future at United anyway, even if he's made it to a Champions League final. He's a gifted player without the athleticism to thrive consistently.

Yakuza_devils

Classic Caf, all the medias and pundits are full of praise for Sancho performance again but here people are saying he was poor. Hmm....

TsuWave

CL finalist. Uncomfortable conversations

Love to see a player doing well. Salute to him

TsuWave

Hopefully things like the Sancho debacle don't happen in future under Ineos. If a player needs disciplined, then the club should discipline them. No issuing of ultimatums that escalate the situation and result in egos taking over and people being too proud to back down. And an £80m asset being banned from the team and then loaned out.
Such mismanagement of the situation. I don't even think the manager should have said what they did initially, especially on the back of another defeat - he did feel/read as scapegoating to me, but ultimately, could have just gave him a dressing down and fined him, then reintegrated him, rather than big bad wolf ultimatums and banishing the player from training with the first team and then loaning them out.

Even worse is that for all the big disciplinarian antics, can't even get a tune or result out of the players. Said it before, but if you're going to make big decisions you need to show results otherwise you just look like a goof.

Gator Nate

It's unbelievable that both are professional being paid millions of pounds per year but acted like a child from both side.

1) The player didn't train properly
2) The manager announced to whole world in the media
3) The player defended himself
4) The manager asked for public apology
5) The player refused
6) The player was out of the team a few months
7) The player go on loan

The club is valued at 5-6Billions and we are talking about a 80M asset. I would have thought the club should have a standard procedure to deal with trivial matters like this? How badly run we are and now ETH is following Murtough's way?
You're leaving out several acts before step 1 and quite a bit between 1 and 2. Point 2 only occurred after well-documented allowances for whatever was going on with Sancho.