Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Of course I want him but not with release clause.

Like I said many times, football world doesn't revolve around ManUtd. We were interested in the player just like many other clubs like Leipzig, Juventus, Dortmund. Dortmund won the race fair and square. It's not as if we rejected the player. We lost the battle long back, no wonder Ole met him in the last min to change his mind. Once that failed we briefed the press on why we didn't go ahead with the deal.

Apart from all this, I don't want any young player with low release clauses. We shouldn't be doing all the development work for some other club just to pick the player at the right moment.
Well we will have just have to disagree. I would have haaland upfront with rashford out for months and months whether he has a release clause in 2.5-3 years or not.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well we will have just have to disagree. I would have haaland upfront with rashford out for months and months whether he has a release clause in 2.5-3 years or not.
Yeah each to their own. I don't want Gotze like situation at ManUtd. No other big club will entertain these cheap release clauses. We should be in control of our players.

Gehrman

I think we are going to have to accept that the best young players in the world want more freedom and have agents having their clients career in focus and not being owned by clubs. Even Roy Keane complained how footballers are bought and sold like pieces of meat.

Gehrman

Yeah each to their own. I don't want Gotze like situation at ManUtd. No other big club will entertain these cheap release clauses. We should be in control of our players.
Id have gøtze on a temporary basis over lindgaard anyday.

roonster09

Scout
I think we are going to have to accept that the best young players in the world want more freedom and have agents having their clients career in focus and not being owned by clubs. Even Roy Keane complained how footballers are bought and sold like pieces of meat.
Plenty of young players are signed every year and most of them don't have release clauses.

Gehrman

Plenty of young players are signed every year and most of them don't have release clauses.
Sure, but i think it will become more and more common. Agents like mendes and raiola are here to stay. Eventually its hard to keep players against their will.

roonster09

Scout
Sure, but i think it will become more and more common. Agents like mendes and raiola are here to stay. Eventually its hard to keep players against their will.
Raiola have plenty of clients and not many of them have release clause, even the one De ligt have is around 150 million. In fact I don't remember when any big club signed a youngster with release clause.

Yeah and now dortmund has a striker who is on fire and we dont.
Good luck to them. They might lose him for small fee when his development is completed and are about to rely on him to win trophies. Who knows it might be us who sign him at that time.

Edit: Do you really believe ManUtd rejected Haaland?

Gehrman

Raiola have plenty of clients and not many of them have release clause, even the one De ligt have is around 150 million. In fact I don't remember when any big club signed a youngster with release clause.

Good luck to them. They might lose him for small fee when his development is completed and are about to rely on him to win trophies. Who knows it might be us who sign him at that time.

Edit: Do you really believe ManUtd rejected Haaland?
I havnt followed the saga enough to know. But isnt it you guys who said we were not willing to sign him with a release clause?

roonster09

Scout
I havnt followed the saga enough to know. But isnt it you guys who said we were not willing to sign him with a release clause?
I didn't. I remember saying we can't do much when player rejected the offer and signed for the club which is better for his development. I also said football world doesn't revolve around ManUtd, we don't have the choice to pick every player, player also picks the club and like many players there is a good chance player might have rejected the club.

Gehrman

I didn't. I remember saying we can't do much when player rejected the offer and signed for the club which is better for his development. I also said football world doesn't revolve around ManUtd, we don't have the choice to pick every player, player also picks the club and like many players there is a good chance player might have rejected the club.
Ok. I agree.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
With all due respect, you are thinking as a Leverkusen fan where you think signing player for 20 million and selling for 60 million is a win - win situation. It's not true for all clubs. When you develop a player, you expect him to stick around and win trophies for the club instead of making transfer profit.

If the player wants out, you expect club to have control on the transfer to set the price which is as per the market standards, not the fixed price which might be peanuts in years time.

If a player wants to leave, he will leave anyways but without release clause club will have control to ask the price that suits all parties, it's not the case with release clause.

Like I said, you think as a Leverkusen fan. Not everyone think with same mentality, especially the club fans who have seen so much success in last 20-25 years, where fans expect players to give their best years to the club rather than making profits on selling players.

Edit: Anyways I don't even think we rejected him. It was simple case of player choosing what's best for his development.
You're perfectly illustrating his point. The decision to reject him is based on pride and delusions, not any rational decisions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
With all due respect, you are thinking as a Leverkusen fan where you think signing player for 20 million and selling for 60 million is a win - win situation. It's not true for all clubs. When you develop a player, you expect him to stick around and win trophies for the club instead of making transfer profit.

If the player wants out, you expect club to have control on the transfer to set the price which is as per the market standards, not the fixed price which might be peanuts in years time.

If a player wants to leave, he will leave anyways but without release clause club will have control to ask the price that suits all parties, it's not the case with release clause.

Like I said, you think as a Leverkusen fan. Not everyone think with same mentality, especially the club fans who have seen so much success in last 20-25 years, where fans expect players to give their best years to the club rather than making profits on selling players.

Edit: Anyways I don't even think we rejected him. It was simple case of player choosing what's best for his development.
A reasonable release clause can totally be fine. And when I say reasonable I mean huge.

Haaland could and will easily be more valuable than the numbers quoted in 2 years.

If they'd wanted a 120m clause then fine.
Because money is irrelevant to United at this time? United want to sign players who are at the club for the long haul and committed to staying through the rebuild. What's the point in signing haaland to just give him a platform to look elsewhere at a reduced price? Essentially that's what Dortmund have agreed to do and they will be forced to let him move on at a cheap price in a few years time. And that's not even mentioning the ridiculous agent and signing on fees they paid.

When you take the above into consideration I'm glad the club pulled the plug. We have a top prospect in Greenwood who can develop alongside Rashford who is still a kid himself. Agreeing to the Haarland demands would have been counterproductive to our new approach and would have also seen us basically agreeing to write off millions in fees and development fees to potentially lose him at a base price for a minimum release fee.
What has me being a Leverkusen fan to do with my opinion on the matter? It's not like I want you to act like Leverkusen on the transfer market. I',m suggesting you should act more rational. I mean, even if Haaland leaves after 2.5 years for a small fee, what's the matter? You guys yourself said that money isn't important to you. Meanwhile, the guy would probably have netted 40+ goals for you throughout those 2.5 seasons. It would've been the rational decision to sign him. The irrational one is to reject him because he doesn't want to commit himself long-term to a club who was once great and is in a uncertain change process right now. You could develop like Liverpool did or you could the same route as AC Milan. And you want those young players to commit themselves long-term to you? I mean, why would they do that? What do you think would the motivation behind that behaviour be? That they've been life long United fans? Good luck. The world doesn't revolve around you, there are much more attractive destinations currently than United. You need to arrange yourself with that situation. You're not in the same bargaining position as 5-6 years ago.

I think your club needs more pragmatism and less pride. More controversial, possibly unpopular but ultimately right decisions instead of the usual "we've always did it this way" mantra. I mean, imagine a world in which you'd have signed Haaland with the clause. There would've been a chance that you develop well and he wants to stay beyond those 2.5 years. But even if he leaves, what's the problem? Yes, it would be bitter for a short while but you'd have gotten 2.5 good years out of him, he would've improved your reputation as a club with a perspective for young players and you probably would've had enough time to find a replacement for him.

All the issues you're having with signing Haaland are ultimately of symbolic nature. And symbolism doesn't win you anything.

roonster09

Scout
What has me being a Leverkusen fan to do with my opinion on the matter? It's not like I want you to act like Leverkusen on the transfer market. I',m suggesting you should act more rational. I mean, even if Haaland leaves after 2.5 years for a small fee, what's the matter? You guys yourself said that money isn't important to you. Meanwhile, the guy would probably have netted 40+ goals for you throughout those 2.5 seasons. It would've been the rational decision to sign him. The irrational one is to reject him because he doesn't want to commit himself long-term to a club who was once great and is in a uncertain change process right now. You could develop like Liverpool did or you could the same route as AC Milan. And you want those young players to commit themselves long-term to you? I mean, why would they do that? What do you think would the motivation behind that behaviour be? That they've been life long United fans? Good luck. The world doesn't revolve around you, there are much more attractive destinations currently than United. You need to arrange yourself with that situation. You're not in the same bargaining position as 5-6 years ago.

I think your club needs more pragmatism and less pride. More controversial, possibly unpopular but ultimately right decisions instead of the usual "we've always did it this way" mantra. I mean, imagine a world in which you'd have signed Haaland with the clause. There would've been a chance that you develop well and he wants to stay beyond those 2.5 years. But even if he leaves, what's the problem? Yes, it would be bitter for a short while but you'd have gotten 2.5 good years out of him, he would've improved your reputation as a club with a perspective for young players and you probably would've had enough time to find a replacement for him.

All the issues you're having with signing Haaland are ultimately of symbolic nature. And symbolism doesn't win you anything.
I have already explained, this will end up going in circles.

That's the difference. No fan would be happy to make profit on transfer at the expense of winning trophies, when you develop a player investing so much time and money, you want him to give his best years.

He might have clicked from day 1 or would have taken 2 years to adapt, develop into good player and the big risk is we would lose him in 1 year. So all the effort, time you invested in for nothing.

We might to in the route for AC Milan or might bounce back, who the feck knows. No one was predicting great things for Liverpool just 2-3 seasons ago. So just because we are in shit position right now doesn't mean it will be the case and we have to bend backwards to sign every player.

roonster09

Scout
You're perfectly illustrating his point. The decision to reject him is based on pride and delusions, not any rational decisions.
No it isn't. I have explained why the expectations are different, there is nothing to gain for ManUtd in developing him and losing him for small fee. All the time invested in developing him, he will play his best years at some other club and club won't be properly compensated for that. We won't be even in control of the situation.

It's not blind pride, it's what the club expect from players. Few clubs want to make money on the players, few clubs wants to win trophies building good teams so they expect players to stick for long time.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
The lack of a structure, a DoF, and a plan leaves some traces here.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Like many have said before I don't think the issue is with the release clause. BVB has planned for this transfer and Haaland probably made up his mind even before Man Utd entered the picture. I personally don't think there is an issue with the release clause. BVB got the player on a relatively small fee (17M) and will have his service for 2 to 3 years at least. There may be a chance he will sign a new contract if he find the club is the best place for his career. Even without a release clause, a player can always run down the contract and the club that own him has to sell him on the cheap. So what is the issue?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I have already explained, this will end up going in circles.

That's the difference. No fan would be happy to make profit on transfer at the expense of winning trophies, when you develop a player investing so much time and money, you want him to give his best years.

He might have clicked from day 1 or would have taken 2 years to adapt, develop into good player and the big risk is we would lose him in 1 year. So all the effort, time you invested in for nothing.

We might to in the route for AC Milan or might bounce back, who the feck knows. No one was predicting great things for Liverpool just 2-3 seasons ago. So just because we are in shit position right now doesn't mean it will be the case and we have to bend backwards to sign every player.

Well, it does. And that attitude is the definition of pride, by the way.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Pogba is supposed to be in his prime, and does not have a release clause in his contract, but he obviously wants to leave. Does Man Utd get the best out of him now? He is running down his contract as well.

Le Red

Having seen him in a Dortmund shirt, albeit a very small sample, I can see how special he is.
His speed and acceleration for a guy with that size is out of this world.
Definitely could be among the goats.

roonster09

Scout
Well, it does. And that attitude is the definition of pride, by the way.
It isn't. It's expecting club to do the right thing.

Anyways all this is just pile of nonsense. He just rejected us as he found Dortmund as good club for him, nothing to do with release clause.

spiriticon

If he does this well consistently, £63 million will be a steal in a year's time.

We should not stop scouting him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As a club Man Utd has resource comparable to Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Man City, just focus on making yourself as an attractive place players would like to join. Salary is never an issue for Man Utd. There is lots of reason why young players with potential should not choosing the top tier club. Expectation and pressure are too high. Just look at Frenkie De Jong and Demebele in Barca or De Ligt in Juventus.

James Ward

If we could get Jared Bowen for a few million I’d take him on a three year contract at this stage.

LJJT

Apart from the fact that Dortmund would hardly be so stupid to agree to a RC that could be triggered within 6 months: Why would he leave Dortmund for you in the summer, if he could have you joined this winter anyway?
Understood but I’m not football transfer expert. Just a normal fan. A release clause is a release clause in my view. Please fill me in with the minor details of his contract???

Nick7

Understood but I’m not football transfer expert. Just a normal fan. A release clause is a release clause in my view. Please fill me in with the minor details of his contract???
Release clauses can have dates set in them. For instance he could have a release clause that’s valid for summer 2022 and only summer 2022. That’s not his actual clause just as example, mind you.

LJJT

Release clauses can have dates set in them. For instance he could have a release clause that’s valid for summer 2022 and only summer 2022. That’s not his actual clause just as example, mind you.
I see. So what’s this lads release clause window?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

This just goes to show how embarrassing Woodward's briefings were when BVB announced Haaland.

troylocker

Do not want! We need a proven striker, not some prospect with just 13 goals and 1 assist from his first 433 minutes of CL and Bundesliga play....

Seriously though, his clause is now public and is set to 75M Euro and will kick in after the 21/22 season. I want this guy playing here so bad!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do not want! We need a proven striker, not some prospect with just 13 goals and 1 assist from his first 433 minutes of CL and Bundesliga play....

Seriously though, his clause is now public and is set to 75M Euro and will kick in after the 21/22 season. I want this guy playing here so bad!
If thats true, lets hope in 2 years we're back near the top of the pile and can grab him. 75m Will be absolutely nothing if he keeps this up.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If that's the clause then it really was good business for all parties involved and it would had been good business for a club like United as well.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Kicks in right as we'll want to replace Lewa. Can't wait to welcome him at our club come summer '22 :drool:

Lemansky

Kicks in right as we'll want to replace Lewa. Can't wait to welcome him at our club come summer '22 :drool:
To bad for you guys that he ain’t staying in Germany after his spell at Dortmund. His ultimate goal is England. So it’s all about which English club who is most attractive to him at that point.

KennyBurner

Yeah and now dortmund has a striker who is on fire and we dont.
Thats not the point and you keep missing it on purpose by the last few posts Ive read. We will always find another player. Dortmund won the battle but if he is as good as they say he wont last another year in Germany. Doesn't that question Dortmunds ambition? Why should we buy a young player only to risk losing him for cheap when real madrid come calling. Dortmnd are the best feeder club out there and they are happy building players only to sell. Its not the way things are done at a big club.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
To bad for you guys that he ain’t staying in Germany after his spell at Dortmund. His ultimate goal is England. So it’s all about which English club who is most attractive to him at that point.
He'll be just 21 or 22 by then. So, there's ample of time for him to chase his "ultimate goal" later down the road. I fancy us being quite attractive by then, despite not being English, tbh.:)

Lemansky

He'll be just 21 or 22 by then. So, there's ample of time for him to chase his "ultimate goal" later down the road. I fancy us being quite attractive by then, despite not being English, tbh.:)
So Liverpool then?
It might be Liverpool, City, Chelsea or us. Who knows. What is less likely is that he is going to Bayern. That would severely limit his options for many years as Bayern historically don’t sell players they want to keep.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Besides, it's not like certain plans are set in stone. He could like Germany and never wanna leave it